ADVERTISEMENT

Which (mid major) would add the most value to a (expanded) B12?

12375CAT

Feb 15, 2012
1eddc11e-1c62-4e75-b831-a7ac3e919bd7_zpsc22350bd.jpg

Never thought I'd say it but cougar high is making sense. The big 12 never plays a game in the largest city in Texas whose metro area produces a ton of talent. Does that make sense?

Large tv market, solid, if somewhat dated, sports tradition. Selfishly, it's a virtual home game for Texas.

Then get one of the Fla schools. Whichever one.

None. You need to ad TV sets to make someone worth it. If the NCAA allows the big 12 to add a CCG then there is no need to add anyone. Right now UH, UCF or USF don't add significant value.

Never thought I'd say it but cougar high is making sense. The big 12 never plays a game in the largest city in Texas whose metro area produces a ton of talent. Does that make sense?

Large tv market, solid, if somewhat dated, sports tradition. Selfishly, it's a virtual home game for Texas.

Then get one of the Fla schools. Whichever one.
Five Texas institutions makes zero sense to me. Need to go out of state for a North division.

The real reason the North division of the Big 12 was so weak was they played too few games in the state of Texas. Each north division school was guaranteed of playing just 2 games a year against a Texas team, and if the math was right probably only once a year in Texas. Chances of winning were good if it was Baylor, bad if it was anyone else. This eroded recruiting for the north schools in this state and made it hard to compete against South schools.

I know it makes zero sense, but if the Big 12 is going to survive and be a conference Texas wants to be a part of, it's going to have to do it as East/West divisions with half the Texas schools in one division, and the other half in the other. I think you also have to split Texas and Oklahoma.

I'm beginning to believe that no one likes being in the ACC, but they have such a iron contract that right now it makes no sense to try and break it. It has to make sense for a team to want to leave.

I have two ways of thinking on this, and one would keep Texas in the Big 12, the other would not.

One you have to land a big fish, meaning Notre Dame, there is no way around it, you get Notre Dame, and Texas and Oklahoma are in this conference for the long haul. You get Notre Dame and you can then Cherry pick the second school. You get Notre Dame and you can get a LSU or Arkansas to leave the SEC.

My first scenario would look like this:
Notre Dame and Arkansas join the Big 12.
East Division - WVA, Notre Dame, Arkansas, Texas, Tech, and Iowa State.
West Division - Oklahoma, OSU, TCU, Baylor, KSU, and Kansas.

My other sceniro not as pretty and it leads to Texas leaving a watered down conference.

We take a BYU and a south Florida school.

East Division - WVA, ISU, Texas, TCU, USF, and KSU.
West Division - OSU, OU, Baylor, Tech, BYU, and Kansas

No way I'd want Texas to stay in the Big 12 if this is to occur.

To be honest, I don't see a scenario outside of adding a big name school that ends with Texas staying in the big 12.

I'd be up for Cincy and Colorado State if it became a must. It's not for now...
To each their own but if a city like Houston, which is fertile recruiting ground, a large TV market and on the edge of SEC territory don't do it for you what do Cincy and CSU do?

To each their own but if a city like Houston, which is fertile recruiting ground, a large TV market and on the edge of SEC territory don't do it for you what do Cincy and CSU do?
It doesn't bring TV sets. There are a ton of Big 12 alumni in Houston, it's not a zero presence scenerio. Texas doesn't need the addition. That's where I stand.

After adding TCU and WVU, I had hoped they would go after Louisville and another such as Cincy.

Now I'd rather see the conference disband.

Last edited:
Reactions: BringBackRoyal
Colleges like Houston or SMU would have zero benefit to Texas. It will do more for the conference out of state school recruiting.

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
None. You need to ad TV sets to make someone worth it. If the NCAA allows the big 12 to add a CCG then there is no need to add anyone. Right now UH, UCF or USF don't add significant value.

Exactly. There's no realistic candidate that doesn't dilute the conference further, with the possible exception of BYU.

I'd strongly prefer to stay at 10 teams until the conference's TV contract is up, at which point I think Texas and OU are very likely to bolt, perhaps with Tech and OSU in tow.

Last edited:

UH doesn't deliver the Houston TV market any more than Rice does. As another poster said, Texas and the Big 12 already have a huge number of alumni and fans in Houston; the Houston TV market is already amply covered. If we're going to expand, the absolute last thing this conference needs is more teams from this state.

UH doesn't deliver the Houston TV market any more than Rice does. As another poster said, Texas and the Big 12 already have a huge number of alumni and fans in Houston; the Houston TV market is already amply covered. If we're going to expand, the absolute last thing this conference needs is more teams from this state.
So UH vs Ou brings less ratings than Ou-col st?

Or UH-tech does worse than tech-Cincy?

Look, assuming none of us are network TV executives, all things being equal, give me a top 10 TV market that affords the other recruiting/alumni benefits Houson does.

Cincy/colo st love baffles me. They offer nothing.

Colorado effing state? Seriously?

So UH vs Ou brings less ratings than Ou-col st?

Or UH-tech does worse than tech-Cincy?

Look, assuming none of us are network TV executives, all things being equal, give me a top 10 TV market that affords the other recruiting/alumni benefits Houson does.

Cincy/colo st love baffles me. They offer nothing.

Colorado effing state? Seriously?

Can you please show me where I said anything about Cincy or CSU?

The fact remains that adding a Texas team is essentially trying to make this conference more like the SWC, which is completely insane. Texas already delivers the Houston TV market to the Big 12. If expansion occurs, any additions need to bring significant numbers of new TV viewers. Since almost no realistic candidates would do this (outside of BYU), but would instead dilute both the quality and the per-team profitability of the conference further, I don't look favorably on the idea of adding schools.

Last summer BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall was in Austin talking how much he wants to be in the Big XII. I think he brought his team to Austin to make a statement and that they did. Matter of fact they did it the year before as well. I think BYU would be good as a fb only member. They have said they will not join the Big XII if it means playing on Sunday. Being Mormon myself I know how serious they are about this. But you don't play college fb on Sunday. BYU has a representative fb program and they could hold their own in the Big XII.

Maybe we can add some schools as bb only members. However, I don't know which schools in this regard who would be a plus.

When it comes to fb Notre Dame will never join the Big XII or any conference. Not being an independent means they would have to share bowl money. They would have to give up their tv contract with NBC. Finally a huge part of their fb history is being an independent because they always have been.

Last edited:
Can you please show me where I said anything about Cincy or CSU?

The fact remains that adding a Texas team is essentially trying to make this conference more like the SWC, which is completely insane. Texas already delivers the Houston TV market to the Big 12. If expansion occurs, any additions need to bring significant numbers of new TV viewers. Since almost no realistic candidates would do this (outside of BYU), but would instead dilute both the quality and the per-team profitability of the conference further, I don't look favorably on the idea of adding schools.
My bad. It was another guy. Quoted wrong post.

I think we are all trying to fix something that is too broken to fix. You can't turn a Ford Pinto into a Hot Rod. If you want to fix the Big 12, disband it and create a new conference without some of the dead weight that holds it back. And yes I'm talking about ISU. The fact is the Big 12 doesn't have an identity outside of Texas and Oklahoma. If you want to save the Big 12 it needs to go back to 12 teams and one of the additions must be a big name team, and one of the current members not named Texas and Oklahoma must step up and win a championship. That will give the big 12 the skins to survive.

Since these things aren't going to happen the next thing is for Texas to bide its time until it's time to join another conference. Or what I think will happen is both the Big 12 and the ACC will each implode and a hybrid conference will be formed that incorporates a select few from both conferences.

Texas, Oklahoma, OSU, Tech, TCU, Kansas, FSU, Clemson, Miami, Georgia Tech, WVA, and Louisville.

That is actually a pretty sweet conference for both football and basketball.

Reactions: CoachEmUp64
Only an alumni would push for them...
Firstly, I'm a UT grad.
Secondly, it's not a push. Just an answer to a hypothetical. Once the pipe dreams of ND, FSU and other big time programs are extinguished there aren't any great options. UH is a pig with lipstick like every other realistic option.

I don't have an issue with 10. Let's win the league we're in first(ly).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT