ADVERTISEMENT

Which (mid major) would add the most value to a (expanded) B12?

Is this an admission that OU getting into the 2003 national title game after getting steamrolled by KSU in the Big XII title game was a complete joke? I agree.

Especially irrelevant was team OU destroyed 65-13 in the joke game of the year.

Especially irrelevant was team OU destroyed 65-13 in the joke game of the year.
Nobody was putting us up as to play in the national title game that year though but OK. Other than that, great point, Jethro. :rolleyes:

I see you totally ignored the point I made. Did OU belong in the national title game that year after getting run over by KSU in the Big XII title game? If you can't keep up or read and understand words, feel free to not respond at this point.

Did OU belong in the national title game that year after getting run over by KSU in the Big XII title game? If you can't keep up or read and understand words, feel free to not respond at this point.
That particular year, sure. We were ranked #1 by quite a large margin going into that game. And they were #1 after the Big Twelve conference championship game. The question wasn't whether we deserve to go, it was who deserved to play us.

That particular year, sure. We were ranked #1 by quite a large margin going into that game. And they were #1 after the Big Twelve conference championship game. The question wasn't whether we deserve to go, it was who deserved to play us.
Agree to disagree. You got steamrolled in that Big XII game. Which goes back to the question that Heisenberg (not me) posed about losing teams deserving to go on after getting thumped by lesser teams.

Agree to disagree. You got steamrolled in that Big XII game. Which goes back to the question that Heisenberg (not me) posed about losing teams deserving to go on after getting thumped by lesser teams.
He's wrong. Most top teams lose throughout the year to a lesser team. When you're in the top three (as was the case in 2003) it's way more likely that your loss will come to someone ranked less than you.

LSU had lost to Florida, USC had lost to Oregon State. Both those teams were worse teams than OU's loss. After the Big Twelve CCG, Kansas State was ranked #10, Florida was #15, and Oregon State wasn't even ranked. Sure, we got trucked and beaten worse than those other teams got beat in their loss, but the NCG is about what you do the whole season, not just one game. We had played a much tougher schedule than the other teams throughout the year.

We deserved to be there as much as anyone else.

He's wrong. Most top teams lose throughout the year to a lesser team. When you're in the top three (as was the case in 2003) it's way more likely that your loss will come to someone ranked less than you.

LSU had lost to Florida, USC had lost to Oregon State. Both those teams were worse teams than OU's loss. After the Big Twelve CCG, Kansas State was ranked #10, Florida was #15, and Oregon State wasn't even ranked. Sure, we got trucked and beaten worse than those other teams got beat in their loss, but the NCG is about what you do the whole season, not just one game. We had played a much tougher schedule than the other teams throughout the year.

We deserved to be there as much as anyone else.
At least y'all won that BCS game. Y'all didn't deserve to represent in 2008, but it was what it was due to dumb Big 12 tiebreak rules.

At least y'all won that BCS game. Y'all didn't deserve to represent in 2008, but it was what it was due to dumb Big 12 tiebreak rules.
I've said from day one...go with the rules in place at the beginning of the season. Whatever they are. If they're dumb, fix them next year. But they're the rules that govern the season once it starts, and that was the rule at the time. Much like the way playing a Division 1AA team was calculated then. Both those rules in place at the time are no longer part of our system.

I can't say OU didn't deserve to go in 2008. The rules in place at the time said they did. But I wouldn't have had heartburn if Texas had had, what, like 10 more votes and represented the South division in the CCG (and subsequently the NCG). As long as the rules in place were followed.

The Big 12 tie breaker was dumb and it continued all the way up until last year. h2h should always take precedence.

Although, if the SEC didn't change theirs... It's a coin flip on a three way.

As far as I'm concerned, Texas didn't deserve it either with that ending in Lubbock. But they were the best overall team in the Big 12 in 2008.

The Big 12 tie breaker was dumb and it continued all the way up until last year. h2h should always take precedence.

Although, if the SEC didn't change theirs... It's a coin flip on a three way.

As far as I'm concerned, Texas didn't deserve it either with that ending in Lubbock. But they were the best overall team in the Big 12 in 2008.
Not going to go over very well on this site, but...

I've always thought Texas upset OU in that game. Still do. I think overall OU was the more dominant team that year. Much like I think Texas Tech upset you guys. It's just my opinion, doesn't make it official.

Not sure how h2h takes precedence in a three-way tie in your scenario. But I wouldn't have had any heartburn if the rules had stated whichever way you think is best.

Two top five teams, one wins by two scores.... Hard to call that an upset. But, I can see why you would since OU was ranked No.1.

Yeah, definitely not on the level of TT beating you guys. That was just fluke-ish. Your win over us, to me, was like you said...two top five teams playing against each other. Would have been awesome if OU and Texas met in the NCG.

Unfortunately the media will never let two teams from the same conference, much less the same division, play for the NCG.

Strangely...I am going with Micco on this.We didnt lose that one because of dumb rules by the Big 12. We lost that one because we were rated behing OU in the polls, which was the tie breaker. We should have been rated ahead of them....we beat em after all on a neutral field...we were rated behing them because of macks damned refusal to beat the crap out of a team we had down.....Nice guys do indeed finish last....Stoops understood this, Mack didnt.Had we taken care of business and beaten tech....we go no doubt....We didnt......It was the polls that crapped on us...not big12 rules.

Unfortunately the media will never let two teams from the same conference, much less the same division, play for the NCG.

Are you sure about that? That's why the playoff came to be and it opened the door for it to happen again if the cards fall correctly and the stars align. The SEC and Big 12 were close to having two teams in the 4 team playoff.

Are you sure about that? That's why the playoff came to be and it opened the door for it to happen again if the cards fall correctly and the stars align. The SEC and Big 12 were close to having two teams in the 4 team playoff.
I was being sarcastic. They let LSU rematch Alabama, a team they beat within their own division, about three years ago. Then, it was ok (because it's the SEC after all). But Herbstreit et al kept up their mantra of no rematches in 2008.

Reactions: LonghornSoldier
Seems clear that some conference will have more than one team in the playoffs on occasion. I would guess about every third or fourth year. I think in those cases, or cases where non-conference playoff teams have played during the reg season, they should be seeded so that they do not play in the first round. If both teams then play their way to the final game they can settle it on the field in a rematch. The initial games should eliminate the rematch 75% of the time (with a 25% chance both teams win, assuming a 50/50 chance in the first game).

I was being sarcastic. They let LSU rematch Alabama, a team they beat within their own division, about three years ago. Then, it was ok (because it's the SEC after all). But Herbstreit et al kept up their mantra of no rematches in 2008.
It is a shame Okie Lite didn't get their chance to play LSU that year

What bothers me most about all these talking heads that suggest the Big 12 is weak and won't last is that so many of us Big 12 folks start agreeing and discussing alternatives.

The SEC and BIG plus the PAC all start slobbering at the mouth thinking of stealing our teams. The Big 12 in reality has power, and is making big money. Plus, I would put our top teams up against any of those mfers. Texas, OU, TCU, OSU, KST and Baylor can hold their on against these clowns.

They write bs about taking down the Big 12 and get away with it. We need to just attack these conferences. We need to nab a couple of their teams and let them sweat the dissolution of their conferences.

Screw them and the hoss they rode in on! Be aggressive and make the move we need to ensure a long and profitable Big 12.

What bothers me most about all these talking heads that suggest the Big 12 is weak and won't last is that so many of us Big 12 folks start agreeing and discussing alternatives.

The SEC and BIG plus the PAC all start slobbering at the mouth thinking of stealing our teams. The Big 12 in reality has power, and is making big money. Plus, I would put our top teams up against any of those mfers. Texas, OU, TCU, OSU, KST and Baylor can hold their on against these clowns.

They write bs about taking down the Big 12 and get away with it. We need to just attack these conferences. We need to nab a couple of their teams and let them sweat the dissolution of their conferences.

Screw them and the hoss they rode in on! Be aggressive and make the move we need to ensure a long and profitable Big 12.

Please enlighten us as to which teams from which conference the Big-12 could poach!!!

ACC: You MIGHT have gotten Clemson and FSU if EVERYTHING fell the right way...And you COULD have and SHOULD have invited Louisville...But...

BIG: NOBODY has WANTED to leave, and NOBODY is leaving to join the Big-12!!!

PAC: The Cal-4 MIGHT be interested but why would the Big-12 want to put up with that West Coast Liberal Agenda???

SEC: NOT HAPPENING!!!

History leason...There are only 3 MAJOR Conference that have lost teams the last 25 years to another MAJOR Conference...The SWC Folded and combined with the Big-8 becoming the Big-12...They LOST Arkansas to the SEC!!!

The ACC lost a FINANCIALLY BROKEN and CORRUPT Mary-Land to the BIG...That was an ACC Addition by subtraction...Adding Louisville was like adding 5 NEW Teams...See CBS Sports Top College Programs for the last 3 years...2012/2013 Louisville (Big East) finished #1; 2013/2014 Louisville (AAC) finished #3, and 2014/2015 Louisville (ACC) finished #2 in the CBS College Sports Programs Rankings!!!

Th Big-12 has LOST Colorado (PAC), Nebraska (BIG), and Missouri and Texas A&M (SEC)...What makes you think you're going to RAID ANY of those Conferences for Teams!?!?!?

Rectal Glaucoma is NOBODYS Friend!!!

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: oldhorn2
Please enlighten us as to which teams from which conference the Big-12 could poach!!!

ACC: You MIGHT have gotten Clemson and FSU if EVERYTHING fell the right way...And you COULD have and SHOULD have invited Louisville...But...

BIG: NOBODY has WANTED to leave, and NOBODY is leaving to join the Big-12!!!

PAC: The Cal-4 MIGHT be interested but why would the Big-12 want to put up with that West Coast Liberal Agenda???

SEC: NOT HAPPENING!!!

:rolleyes:

Another closet aggy?

Reactions: diadevic
Because the aggys are by far the biggest underachievers in the nation given their resources and 2nd place isn't even close, amirite?

I would say Kentucky is...They take 90% of the SEC Money they've been getting since The BIG BANG, and have diverted it to Basketball...As a matter of FACT, UK spends more on Big Blue Madness (Midnight practice to open College Basketball Season), than they spend on their Football Recruiting Budget for the year...They've had like 10 wining seasons in football (and MOST of those were FOLLOWED by Probation), since Bear Bryant left for A&M in 1951!!!

o_O

How does that make Kentucky underachievers? You say they put all of their money into basketball, but they produce basketball championships. You can't be a football underachiever if you don't put any effort into it.

How does that make Kentucky underachievers? You say they put all of their money into basketball, but they produce basketball championships. You can't be a football underachiever if you don't put any effort into it.
Sure you can!

When you're given EVERYTHING on a Silver Platter (SEC History and Money in FOOTBALL) and you SQUANDER it on other interest (Basketball...Which by the way has been put on Probation 7-8 times...RECEIVED the FIRST Death Penalty in the Mid 50's...SI's Kentucky Shame in 1989, etc...), you underachieve as a program in you Bread And Butter Arena...By NOT Supporting it, you PURPOSELY Underachieve in it!!!

:cool:

At least Kentucky wins nattys in one of the big 3 sports. The aggys never have and never will despite having the huge advantages of being in the talent rich state of TX and having more money than Croesus. NOBODY underachieves more than those gomer pyle dorks.

Big XII Commissioner gave OU AD Boren the appropriate acknowledgement required:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT