ADVERTISEMENT

Who all is reporting June 1st?

I would hold him to his LOI. I don't see how setting this precedent is good in any way.

Seems like he's been playing games all during recruiting. Remember the reported switch to OU he was planning on signing day? I don't know whether that was true or not, but there is always something going on with this guy.

Freeing Lampkin sets a bad precedent, but it's best to take the high road and cut him loose without penalty. He'd be a cancer in the locker room if he's ever forced to suit up in burnt orange. Give his scholly to someone who wants to be here (like Merrick). It seems this is a bit of an unusual loophole that is not likely to be exploited by future recruits, although it would be good to eliminate the possibility altogether.

He seems like a bit of a headcase, we might have dodged a bullet. Regardless, best of luck to him.

Hook 'em

I don't think it sets a bad precedent because I don't think there are many players who want out of the LOI before they even get on campus. Maybe there are and I just don't hear about them. I can understand being bitter about the situation but if Texas does anything other than take the high road they will be raked over the coals by the public.

He signed a commitment and should be held to it. Texas will hold up to their end and the player should be expected to do the same. You can't change the rules in the middle of the game. If it is something that is truly out of his control then it is a different story, but if he just wants a way out with no penalties the he should go JUCO. Sounds like JUCO is the best option anyway if he can't pass High School spanish.

Last edited:
Here's an article that seems to try and give Lampkin's side of the story:
The other side of Du'Vonta Lampkin's story

Bottom line seems to be that he needs to pass 3 more Spanish classes before he can enroll at UT. He started the first one in February and is just now taking the final. If he passes this one, he has two more to go.

I'm guessing he's more or less indifferent between OU and UT and doesnt want to put in the extra effort cram for three classes of Spanish. Based on the timing of his entry into the first class, he may not have realized that he would have to complete these courses to get in to UT when he committed.

If he does have a learning disability as the article states, seems like he might be able to get some kind of waiver.

I'm sure coach Strong has access to the facts of the situation, and will do what's best for the team.

Hook 'em

Reactions: Godz40Acrez
Learning disabilities inclusion was a poor decision. Simply state he has three classes needed and he only has one complete with a test to be administered for the second.

Reactions: CoachEmUp64
The other thread was posted while I was typing my lst post. If the report is true than that changes things. Sometimes things just don't work out. I wish him good luck in the future.

I have 3 reports due this work week. Might float the learning disability to my clients and hope they understand.

Reactions: CoachEmUp64
No offense to the kid, but that's not a good look for whichever school gets Lampkin now. "Hey we accept kids with learning disabilities that aren't able to get into legitimate universities".

No offense to the kid, but that's not a good look for whichever school gets Lampkin now. "Hey we accept kids with learning disabilities that aren't able to get into legitimate universities".
It happens. Not too long ago a story came out about Kasey Studdard. He was in special ed in high school, and very upset because of hearing people refer to him as the r word. Hard to believe you could survive calling that big boy names. Pretty sure he stayed eligible 4 years, and might even have a degree. Just saying, some kids work hard and turn things around.

I guess the thing that doesn't smell right to me is he threw the towel in before the deal was over.

Seems like Devo and Buck are busting ass to get eligible, but when it gets tough for DuVonta he bails for OU.

I guess the thing that doesn't smell right to me is he threw the towel in before the deal was over.

Seems like Devo and Buck are busting ass to get eligible, but when it gets tough for DuVonta he bails for OU.

Meh. I just don't think he has the ability to pass the classes. He's taken the classes multiple times and can't get a passing grade.

"In fact, Lampkin attempted to receive a passing grade more than once while in high school, but was unsuccessful, which could be attributed to a learning disability the source familiar with his situation preferred not to disclose."

Here's the way I see it. Kid gets caught up in the moment and the hype of Texas recruiting and signs knowing he will need to take the Spanish classes to get it in. Takes class and does not pass, realizes time is running out, also realizes he doesn't need Spanish classes to get into ou(sucks). Time is running out, UT says you knew requirements to get in, assured us you would get it done-we are going to hold you to your word-pass classes over summer or enroll in JUCO. Doesn't want to go JUCO, let's it out that he has learning disability to make UT look bad if they hold him to loi.
How come this learning disability did not keep him from passing all his core classes to graduate and meet ncaa standards to be eligible to enroll in college?

Here's the way I see it. Kid gets caught up in the moment and the hype of Texas recruiting and signs knowing he will need to take the Spanish classes to get it in. Takes class and does not pass, realizes time is running out, also realizes he doesn't need Spanish classes to get into ou(sucks). Time is running out, UT says you knew requirements to get in, assured us you would get it done-we are going to hold you to your word-pass classes over summer or enroll in JUCO. Doesn't want to go JUCO, let's it out that he has learning disability to make UT look bad if they hold him to loi.
How come this learning disability did not keep him from passing all his core classes to graduate and meet ncaa standards to be eligible to enroll in college?
You don't need to be a rocket scientist to meet minimum ncaa standards. None of these guys struggling to qualify are real students, and would never get into a decent school if they were not ball players.

You don't need to be a rocket scientist to meet minimum ncaa standards. None of these guys struggling to qualify are real students, and would never get into a decent school if they were not ball players.

It's not "NCAA standards" he's failing to meet it's "UT standards". Quite a few schools don't have the foreign language requirement that Texas has. Texas has that requirement in an attempt to weed out students.

Lampkin would be a UT student right now if Texas didn't have the additional foreign language requirement. That's not a bad thing either. Lampkin will likely end up at a university like Oklahoma where they have few academic standards. That's the price you pay for being a top notch academic institution, but it's worth the price.

Last edited:
Chip Brown is saying that Lampkin is still trying to fulfill the Spanish requirements. Probably a long shot but it seems like Lampkin hasn't thrown in the towel.

FWIW someone on Twitter told me that Lampkin apparently passed the first spanish course . If that's true, he would have plenty of time to take the next two.

Alex Dunlap at OB:

I'll have a full update in the War Room about intel we've gathered through this week from summer workouts, but I just got off the phone with the third person who has mentioned freshman WR Deandre McNeal. He is apparently looking very good in player-organized workouts at the Z wide receiver. McNeal was pegged positionally as "athlete" coming in, who could project to a number of roles at the Division I level: receiver, tight end - even linebacker or maybe safety.

Based on early reports, it seems that McNeal is certainly looking the part in the receiver role at least.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT