ADVERTISEMENT

10th assistant

fyi...Traitor Chip is saying warehime is getting reassigned. Hey may end up being the 10th coach.

auburn fans are excited to get rid of him. im not that concerned with the recruiting aspect of coaches anymore. we need guys that can actually coach.

auburn fans are excited to get rid of him. im not that concerned with the recruiting aspect of coaches anymore. we need guys that can actually coach.
fans are always happy to act like they are happy when a coach leaves even though they do a good job, they automatically become bad coaches. If he can just do a little better job than warehime then I am ok with that. I am happy Herman recognizes the need to change.

cross fingers...hopefully he is better.

Herb Hand is leaving Auburn for the Big XII.

Auburn's offensive line coach, who received a contract extension earlier this month, is headed to Texas as co-offensive coordinator and offensive line coach, a source with knowledge of the situation confirmed.

Terms for Hand's deal at Texas, which was first reported by Brett McMurphy, were not immediately available. He earned $420,000 annually under his two-year contract at Auburn, which expired at Jan. 1, and it's unclear if he signed the extension he received following the Peach Bowl.

Last month, Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said Hand, with whom he worked while at Tulsa in 2007-08, would be returning to the staff.

Who Malzahn hires to replace Hand will be have to reshape the offensive line, which will have a third coach in four years, and also help piece together the rest of Auburn's 2018 recruiting class

However, Auburn also allowed 36 sacks on the season at a rate of 2.57 per game, which was 10th in the SEC and 100th nationally, worst in Malzahn's tenure as head coach and most for the program since 2012 (37 sacks, 3.08 per game). The Tigers allowed 23 sacks in their four losses, including 11 against Clemson, which tied for the most allowed in an FBS game over the last five years.

Auburn fans wanted to fire Malzahn up until the Iron Bowl win that put them into the SEC championship game.

If you're looking at sacks keep in mind that Stidham thinks he's Mayfield and doesn't throw the ball away when he should. On top of that, AU played 6 of the top 15 defenses in the nation this season.

Last edited:
Tfloss Update:

Take it FWIW, but Inside Texas doesn't believe the hiring process is complete because Coach Hand is not a playcaller.

They do believe the report of Warehime being re-assigned is credible because something has to give with staff numbers.

The interesting thing is the OC candidate (name not published) they were hearing about a few weeks ago was off the table because he wasn't able to select his own OL coach at the time, but apparently the Hand hire could put things back into play because their offensive philosophies are similar

Reactions: EyesOnTexas
^^^

Someone on another board made the valid point that Herman calling the offense for the bowl game makes it very hard to return to Beck as the play caller.

Last edited:
Reading around more, Auburn is who leaked Hand's departure and Rhett Lashee as play caller rumors have gone to 11. Basically, look at guys out of the Malzahn and Rich Rod trees as that is whose style of OL/run game Hand has coached for. Rich Rod himself is a name being tossed around.

Last edited:
So I’m confused. Are we getting a new OC or are they just making Warehime the fall guy of sorts?

Signs point to a new play caller. But it could mean Herman calls the O like he did for the bowl game.
Well if Herman is taking over the play calling that’s a postive development. Let’s hope that’s the case.... can’t imagine Beck would want to stay in that scnerio though.

How did Herman miss the Alignment of two important positions? Reminds me of Strong . Why didn't we moneywhip a proven OC and OL coach to begin with? Money is not an issue and I think they would have let Herman get anyone he wanted?

How did Herman miss the Alignment of two important positions? Reminds me of Strong . Why didn't we moneywhip a proven OC and OL coach to begin with? Money is not an issue and I think they would have let Herman get anyone he wanted?
Yeah. When Herman was hired I wasn’t really concerned about the OC position. I assumed(doubt I was alone) that Herman would be very involved if not be the primary playcaller. It wasn’t until we got in to the season that I realized Major did the playcalling at Houston and Herman was quite admitadly against calling plays...knowing what we know now you are right we should of went out and grabbed the best OC money could buy. Which is probably what Herman needs to be the kind of CEO HC he wants to be.

I think it had more to do with not having a true AD and the politicians in Austin are waging war on everything UT. AD Del Conte already seems to be making a difference and doesn't have a 'We're Texas' mindset. We've already addressed the OL coach, there are rumors of a new play caller, and a new WR coach as well. Not sure there was anyone around that could help/stop Herman with his hires before Del Conte.

Last edited:
Coach Hand....................................

Herbie Hand...................

There will be punchlines at some point...........

Are we worried about to many cooks in the kitchen here on offense? As it stands right now you have Beck and Hand sharing the OC duties in some form. Plus you apperently have the possibility of Herman potentially calling plays. That seems like a lot of egos, and opinions. If not handled right it could do more harm than good

Are we worried about to many cooks in the kitchen here on offense? As it stands right now you have Beck and Hand sharing the OC duties in some form. Plus you apperently have the possibility of Herman potentially calling plays. That seems like a lot of egos, and opinions. If not handled right it could do more harm than good

No their titles are just that. There are reasons why our offense could still struggle but not because we have too many cooks in the kitchen. Neither Beck nor Hand have any reason to have some kind of alpha ego complex especially if Herman is in the mix.

Keep in mind with being state jobs the co-OC may just be there to justify the pay and nothing more. I believe Akina held asst-HC title for the state's pay grade coding. Or a workaround around Hand's contract with AU like with Wickline.

Last edited:
The two biggest criticisms this year was the Oline and the play calling. It looks like Herman hired a guy who can help out on both fronts and take over one or the other if needed. Maybe Herman wants him to help coach both areas and be a another experienced opinion. If things aren't going right he cuts the problem out and plugs Hand in. This would be easily done at anytime since Hand will be involved in both. Hand will have a hand in both.

Sorry for the stupid attempt at a joke at the end.

Keep in mind with being state jobs the co-OC may just be there to justify the pay and nothing more. I believe Akina held asst-HC title for the state's pay grade coding. Or a workaround around Hand's contract with AU like with Wickline.
That could be, but titles or not if I’m Tim Beck how do I not view this as a demotion? I went from being the OC and THE playcaller(according to Herman) to having a co OC, and maybe not calling plays. When Strong demoted Watson reportedly it created a rough enviorment among offensive coaches. That was in season which is a bit different, but if this is the route Herman is going to go(especially if he’s going to call plays) he’s probably better off letting Beck go totally.

^^^

It has already been explained in this thread that the co-OC title means little as it could well be a pay level designation for a state employee or a work around Hand's AUbie contract terms. Akina was asst. HC for years for pay grade purposes.

^^^

It has already been explained in this thread that the co-OC title means little as it could well be a pay level designation for a state employee or a work around Hand's AUbie contract terms. Akina was asst. HC for years for pay grade purposes.
I’m aware, but it sounds like Beck went from the OC and sole playcaller to co OC with no playcalling duties(if speculation about Herman being the playcaller next year pans out). If that’s the way it shakes out that’s a demotion for Tim Beck regardless how you spin it. The titles are irelevent. I’m talking about the duties they are doing.

I’m aware, but it sounds like Beck went from the OC and sole playcaller to co OC with no playcalling duties(if speculation about Herman being the playcaller next year pans out). If that’s the way it shakes out that’s a demotion for Tim Beck regardless how you spin it. The titles are irelevent. I’m talking about the duties they are doing.

insert eyeroll emoji

Reactions: LonghornMM
Look. I know you don’t like me, but nothing I’ve said Is wrong. I get the reason for the “co offensive” coordnstor title may be a paperwork thing, and that’s fine. If I were the HC though and you were my OC, and I told you “ look man I’m bringing in a coach as a co OC we have to do that in order to get him out of his contract. Oh and by the way I’ll be taking the play calling as well. Your telling me you wouldn’t be thinking “damn I just got demoted”?

Look I fully support Herman taking over playcalling duties. I think it’s very long over due, but he ought to just move on form Beck if that’s the route he’s gonna go. Program will be better off for it long term. Moves that go halfway rarely work

Look. I know you don’t like me, but nothing I’ve said Is wrong. I get the reason for the “co offensive” coordnstor title may be a paperwork thing, and that’s fine. If I were the HC though and you were my OC, and I told you “ look man I’m bringing in a coach as a co OC we have to do that in order to get him out of his contract. Oh and by the way I’ll be taking the play calling as well. Your telling me you wouldn’t be thinking “damn I just got demoted”?

Look I fully support Herman taking over playcalling duties. I think it’s very long over due, but he ought to just move on form Beck if that’s the route he’s gonna go. Program will be better off for it long term. Moves that go halfway rarely work

I've search it 5 ways from Sunday and can't find anything that even suggest that TH called plays during the Texas Bowl. I'm not sure why anyone thinks that Beck has been stripped of his play-calling responsibilities.

Keep in mind that any reports about what Herman is thinking is most likely made up BS. Not a single reporter had any clue Herman was thinking of hiring Hand before it happened, and now all of a sudden they know all his plans and what he wants to do. They have no clue and I’m betting Herman isn’t done with the coaching changes. So just let it play out before getting too worked up.

Reactions: Longyac
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT