ADVERTISEMENT

A little ND Texas history

kwsusmc

Dec 27, 2005
Texas is one of the "blue bloods" of CFB. Respect your program, was hoping to make it down next week, but sadly it fell through.

I posted this in another thread, but was afraid it may get buried.

Anyways, ND is going to be very stout against the run. Good athleticism, speed and depth in the front 7, concerned about the safeties, talented but one is true frosh, the other two ACL injuries each of the last two years.

NDs offense may be even better this year. I think better running team, with a monster line. Potential is off the charts good. Tricky how to handle the QB situation, hope Kelly learned from O$U last year. Anyway, good luck except next week. Hope no one on either team gets hurt. Beat Ou.
  1. ND is 4-0 in Austin
    ND is 5-0 in Norman. And also 9-2 overall against Boomer

8 of NDs 9 wins against Bevo were by double digits with 6 coming by 21. Last year's shellacking is the worst in the series.

Since the beginning of AP poll ND is 5-1 against Bevo when Bevo is ranked #6 or higher including twice besting #1 Texas. 24-11 in 1971 ending the horns 30 game win streak and in 1978 38-10 taking a National title away from Earl Campbell and Bevo nation.

In 1995 #21 ND destroyed #13 Bevo 55-27, a year Bevo finished 10-1-1 and won the Sugar bowl. A year later ND won in Austin on a last second FG. Of course 38-3 is so fresh in our minds....

I like and respect Texas, last year I had the pleasure of meeting many exceptional Texas fans. Loved that you beat the condoms for the 2005 Natty, one of the greatest games in CFB history.

I hope you guys win every game from the 2nd week on, unless you play ND in the playoffs.

Reactions: LonghornSoldier
It should be a good match up. Last year, Texas was literally hobbled at the QB, offensive line, secondary, and sure, I'll include it, the offensive coordinator. I am not making excuses, ND won and had the better team, but, that was the state of our team last year. This year will be much better competitively. The QB is the biggest question mark, unfortunately, but it won't be as bad as last year no matter what happens. If your defense is strong against the run, then this will be a lot of fun. We have some very good running backs and it should be fun to watch that battle.

Texas just hasn't done very well against ND in the past. The Joe Montana win against the Earl led Horns was a heart breaker, looking back on it. I was pretty young and wasn't watching a lot of college ball at the time, so I didn't watch it. Our best chance to beat you guys was when Mirer came to town in the 90s, but, we lost that one by a hair.

May the best team win.

Reactions: kwsusmc
It should be a good match up. Last year, Texas was literally hobbled at the QB, offensive line, secondary, and sure, I'll include it, the offensive coordinator. I am not making excuses, ND won and had the better team, but, that was the state of our team last year. This year will be much better competitively. The QB is the biggest question mark, unfortunately, but it won't be as bad as last year no matter what happens. If your defense is strong against the run, then this will be a lot of fun. We have some very good running backs and it should be fun to watch that battle.

Texas just hasn't done very well against ND in the past. The Joe Montana win against the Earl led Horns was a heart breaker, looking back on it. I was pretty young and wasn't watching a lot of college ball at the time, so I didn't watch it. Our best chance to beat you guys was when Mirer came to town in the 90s, but, we lost that one by a hair.

May the best team win.

The 1978 Cotton Bowl was when I truly became a devoted ND FANatic. That game is a great memory for me. Loved seeing the great ND defense keep in check that beast of a running back Earl Campbell. ND outgained Texas by over 100 yards on the ground. A great memory for me. My first ND memory was NYE 1973, ND beating #1 Bama!

I knkw you will be much improved, looking for a good game. Good luck the rest of the season, and beat Ou.

Last edited:
Reactions: westx

May the best team win.
It wasn't rick mirer. It was Ron Powlus. Trust me on this one.

Texas is one of the "blue bloods" of CFB. Respect your program, was hoping to make it down next week, but sadly it fell through.

Anyways, ND is going to be very stout against the run. Good athleticism, speed and depth in the front 7, concerned about the safeties, talented but one is true frosh, the other two ACL injuries each of the last two years.

NDs offense may be even better this year. I think better running team, with a monster line. Potential is off the charts good. Tricky how to handle the QB situation, hope Kelly learned from O$U last year. Anyway, good luck except next week. Hope no one on either team gets hurt. Beat Ou.
  1. ND is 4-0 in Austin

8 of NDs 9 wins against Bevo were by double digits with 6 coming by 21. Last year's shellacking is the worst in the series.

Since the beginning of AP poll ND is 5-1 against Bevo when Bevo is ranked #6 or higher including twice besting #1 Texas. 24-11 in 1971 ending the horns 30 game win streak and in 1978 38-10 taking a National title away from Earl Campbell and Bevo nation.

In 1995 #21 ND destroyed #13 Bevo 55-27, a year Bevo finished 10-1-1 and won the Sugar bowl. A year later ND won in Austin on a last second FG. Of course 38-3 is so fresh in our minds....

I like and respect Texas, last year I had the pleasure of meeting many exceptional Texas fans. Loved that you beat the condoms for the 2005 Natty, one of the greatest games in CFB history.

I hope you guys win every game from the 2nd week on, unless you play ND in the playoffs.

na

Last edited:

Ok I've edited what I wrote the first time because I'm smarter than that. You want to be Beano Cook jr and insufferably gloat about ND?

Here's one for you. With the exception of the Yankees no one in American sports has benefited more from free publicity than ND fb. Nobody and I mean nobody has been more guilty of false idolatry than ND fb.

1. The win one for the Gipper was a load of bs that Knute Rockne made up and Grantland Rice, who for some reason has been given legendary status, gladly went along with it.

2. Knute Rockne bet on his own fb team.

3. George Gipp was a bum. He was nothing more than a pool hustler who never even went to class. Rockne basically won a bidding war with Fielding Yost for Gipp's services. And fyi this can be found in Dan Jenkins book "Rude Behavior" read it for yourself.

4. The Golden Dome is an admissions building nothing more.

And believe me I'm more than capable of debunking the ND myth that the national media, especially SI which is why I quit subscribing to them, has created for them.

Ok I've edited what I wrote the first time because I'm smarter than that. You want to be Beano Cook jr and insufferably gloat about ND?

Here's one for you. With the exception of the Yankees no one in American sports has benefited more from free publicity than ND fb. Nobody and I mean nobody has been more guilty of false idolatry than ND fb.

1. The win one for the Gipper was a load of bs that Knute Rockne made up and Grantland Rice, who for some reason has been given legendary status, gladly went along with it.

3. George Gipp was a bum. He was nothing more than a pool hustler who never even went to class. Rockne basically won a bidding war with Fielding Yost for Gipp's services. And fyi this can be found in Dan Jenkins book "Rude Behavior" read it for yourself.

And believe me I'm more than capable of debunking the ND myth that the national media, especially SI which is why I quit subscribing to them, has created for them.
Wow, guess you told me....

Even if what you said is 100℅accurate... That makes NDs dominance of Bevo all the more sad, or spectacular. ND is 9-2 over Bevo, with 8 wins coming by double digits and 6 of those by at least 21 points, including last year's grilling of long horn flank steaks..

ND has snapped two Bevo win streaks a 12 game and a 30 game. Ended two Bevo National title hopes;

1971 24-11

1977 38-10

Last year
38-3

The only thing Bevo has on ND is conference championships, oh and free dildos.

http://www.winsipedia.com/texas/vs/notre-dame/

Wow, guess you told me....

Even if what you said is 100℅accurate... That makes NDs dominance of Bevo all the more sad, or spectacular. ND is 9-2 over Bevo, with 8 wins coming by double digits and 6 of those by at least 21 points, including last year's grilling of long horn flank steaks..

ND has snapped two Bevo win streaks a 12 game and a 30 game. Ended two Bevo National title hopes;

1971 24-11

1977 38-10

Last year
38-3

The only thing Bevo has on ND is conference championships, oh and free dildos.

http://www.winsipedia.com/texas/vs/notre-dame/

Big deal Texas didn't have a good team last year.

And ND has gone longer than Texas without winning nc's. Matter of fact they haven't won a BCS level bowl game in 23 years matter of fact they're 0 for 7 since then. And if we beat ND on Sunday you won't win a NC this year either not with SC, MSU and especially Stanford on the schedule.

Now that's a valid point.... I was only responding to the one poster who tried to besmirch ND.

As I said, I like Texas and rooted for you against U$C in 2005. Was also rooting for Texas against Bama....

I feel this game is going to be closer, and I'm glad ND is getting you earlier rather than later. Cause I feel Texas grows better as the year goes on.

I feel NDs strengths match up well with Texas. I believe ND O-line is better than Texas D Line. And I also believe ND D-Line is better than Texas O-line. I feel ND wins this game in the trenches.

RBs are a wash, maybe a edge to Texas, but I really like Folston and Adams. NDs WRs are young and inexperienced, but very talented, fast with good size.

QBs ND are more proven and dynamic.

LBers, even though ND lost Jaylon Smith, I believe this will be an upgrade for ND overall.

DBs, safety is a concern, thin and the loss of Redfield stings. Corners are very good.

TEs, good and dynamic, loss of Jones for the year hurts, but Smythe and Wiesher are very good and had great camps. Blocking TEs are big and nasty blockers in Lautua and Matuska.

I think ND pulls away in the late 3rd or 4th for a solid win. But nothing approaching last year.

Can Texas win, of course. A lot of talent, but also very green and young.

Good luck the rest of the way after next week. Beat Ou...

Reactions: oldhorn2 and Scholz

Oh, good grief.

1. a) Yes, Rockne likely made it up. So what? He gave the speech (attested to by many players in the locker room that day) and ND beat a superior Army team.

b) You're mixed up here. Rice wrote about the Four Horseman 4 years earlier (also a win over Army), but is not known for writing about the 1928 "Win One For The Gipper" game, as he was not there. It was Francis Wallace of the New York Daily News who wrote about the "Gipper" speech a couple of days after the game; Rice did not write about the "Gipper" speech until 1954 in his autobiography. The speech went from "interesting tidbit" to "national lore" with the hugely popular 1940 film "Knute Rockne: All-American" with Ronald Reagan as George Gipp.

2. So what? Was this illegal? How is this supposed to hurt his reputation? Most folks would call it "putting your money where your mouth is"....

3. What you've got your panties in a bunch about is hardly news to ND folks. There wasn't a lot of policing of athletes in those days at any school.

4. It's also where the president's office is. Please explain why it being an "admissions building" is some sort of black mark against it, or damages its standing as an iconic building in any way.

Attempting to throw dirt on ND doesn't make any other school look any better.

Last edited:

1. ND is 4-0 in Austin

We are digging!

4953309_zps1kfmvq04.gif

Hook'em

By the records,ND owns Texas.I have seen a lot of these games and it looked like ND wins in trenches both in the OL and DL.ND recruits its kids from a National level and Texas with primarily Texas kids.Texas is still a young group but few thought we had much of chance against OU last year except the players on the field that day.Im reminded of the quote,"its not the best team who always wins but the team that plays the best that day".Texas is looking forward to play ND and has a point to prove.

Good thread.... seems like we have a new sensible domer poster to go with NDA.... but for the record - Texas smashes ND by 2 scores on Sunday.

Now, can you dig that.... SUCKA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL ;)

Good thread.... seems like we have a new sensible domer poster to go with NDA.... but for the record - Texas smashes ND by 2 scores on Sunday.

Now, can you dig that.... SUCKA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL ;)
If that happens,I will be the 1st in line to buy you a drink,I hope it happens,Hook Em!!!

Now that's a valid point.... I was only responding to the one poster who tried to besmirch ND.

As I said, I like Texas and rooted for you against U$C in 2005. Was also rooting for Texas against Bama....

I feel this game is going to be closer, and I'm glad ND is getting you earlier rather than later. Cause I feel Texas grows better as the year goes on.

I feel NDs strengths match up well with Texas. I believe ND O-line is better than Texas D Line. And I also believe ND D-Line is better than Texas O-line. I feel ND wins this game in the trenches.

RBs are a wash, maybe a edge to Texas, but I really like Folston and Adams. NDs WRs are young and inexperienced, but very talented, fast with good size.

QBs ND are more proven and dynamic.

LBers, even though ND lost Jaylon Smith, I believe this will be an upgrade for ND overall.

DBs, safety is a concern, thin and the loss of Redfield stings. Corners are very good.

TEs, good and dynamic, loss of Jones for the year hurts, but Smythe and Wiesher are very good and had great camps. Blocking TEs are big and nasty blockers in Lautua and Matuska.

I think ND pulls away in the late 3rd or 4th for a solid win. But nothing approaching last year.

Can Texas win, of course. A lot of talent, but also very green and young.

Good luck the rest of the way after next week. Beat Ou...

What would you think if I went on a ND board and went into detail when Pete Carroll kicked ND's *** 8 years in a row like you did when you started this thread about ND's wins over Texas.

Think about it.

Oh, good grief.

1. a) Yes, Rockne likely made it up. So what? He gave the speech (attested to by many players in the locker room that day) and ND beat a superior Army team.

b) You're mixed up here. Rice wrote about the Four Horseman 4 years earlier (also a win over Army), but is not known for writing about the 1928 "Win One For The Gipper" game, as he was not there. It was Francis Wallace of the New York Daily News who wrote about the "Gipper" speech a couple of days after the game; Rice did not write about the "Gipper" speech until 1954 in his autobiography. The speech went from "interesting tidbit" to "national lore" with the hugely popular 1940 film "Knute Rockne: All-American" with Ronald Reagan as George Gipp.

2. So what? Was this illegal? How is this supposed to hurt his reputation? Most folks would call it "putting your money where your mouth is"....

3. What you've got your panties in a bunch about is hardly news to ND folks. There wasn't a lot of policing of athletes in those days at any school.

4. It's also where the president's office is. Please explain why it being an "admissions building" is some sort of black mark against it, or damages its standing as an iconic building in any way.

Attempting to throw dirt on ND doesn't make any other school look any better.

Maybe you yourself don't feel like that and if so then what I think doesn't apply to you and you don't share along in the guilt.

That said I've gotten tired of the national media and how they've gone into detail, even excruciating detail about how ND is so pure. First of all your student body was the one that sold the t shirts Catholics vs Convicts when you played the U. Your officials always went on about how ND wanted to stop playing teams like the U because they didn't have the right perspective about fb. That ND didn 't want to play teams that had been on probation your own school officials were quoted saying it.

To hear some ND people and especially the national media act every ND fb player could have gotten into an Ivy League school.

ND players never took steroids.

No ND player ever got a $100 handshake from an alum after a fb game.

ND never broke any rules, ever.

Remember the comic strip Tank McNamara that appeared in the sports pages in the 80's? They used to mock ND calling them the "University without sin".

The national media never let up on this line of thought during the Lou Holtz era. The national press, ESPN, the Sporting News, and especially SI. Even the NFL pre game shows chimed in. Like I said ND fb benefited tremendously from this free publicity.

Now Lou Holtz, who I respect and thought was a great coach used to say in interviews all the time that when it came to academics ND recruited the same players everybody did they didn't go after someone different. He flat out said that ND had a few kids who were admitted that were on the border so to speak.

Look Bob Golic an AA an all pro and a free spirit to say the least once said that the attitude of the ND players when it came to school was that C's will get you degrees and on tv laughed about saying he got a degree in anthropology that he probably won't use now that his playing days are over. He even implied that if you get into ND all you have to do is make a half *** effort on a paper you'll get passed.

So yeah I took it all personally and when ND gets back to the level they were during the Holtz and Parsagheian days the media will once again pick up where they left off. As if there are no other schools with great academics and great fb tradition except ND. As if schools, like TX, MI, and ST, don't exist.

I don't know how good a chance we have on Sunday night we are going to have to bring our A game but we'll have to wait and see. I do think Brian Kelly is without question, a top ten coach. They got it wrong with Davie, Willingham, and Weis, after Holtz left but they got it right with BK.

I'll never forget New Years Day 1979 when Joe Montana led that incredible comeback against cougar high in the Cotton Bowl. That's when I began to wonder about the luck of the Irish or that ND is blessed from above. Jerome Bettis was a **** of a player and he deserved to be voted into the HOF as have other ND players.

What would you think if I went on a ND board and went into detail when Pete Carroll kicked ND's *** 8 years in a row like you did when you started this thread about ND's wins over Texas.

Think about it.

Texas is great and nationally respected University. The Longhorns are a program steeped in history, a true blue blood.

Good point, I didn't look at it that way, but I see how it can be. Yes, I was doing a little smack talk, I meant in fun.

I was surprised ND has such a big lead over Texas. All that history means squat this week. As I said, I like and respect Texas. Good luck the rest of the year except Sunday. Beat Ou....

Can Texas win Sunday, absolutely. Should Texas win, probably not. I truly believe ND right now is the better team, especially along the Trenches., We shall see on Sunday.

Last edited:
Reactions: westx
Maybe you yourself don't feel like that and if so then what I think doesn't apply to you and you don't share along in the guilt.

That said I've gotten tired of the national media and how they've gone into detail, even excruciating detail about how ND is so pure. First of all your student body was the one that sold the t shirts Catholics vs Convicts when you played the U. Your officials always went on about how ND wanted to stop playing teams like the U because they didn't have the right perspective about fb. That ND didn 't want to play teams that had been on probation your own school officials were quoted saying it.

To hear some ND people and especially the national media act every ND fb player could have gotten into an Ivy League school.

ND players never took steroids.

No ND player ever got a $100 handshake from an alum after a fb game.

ND never broke any rules, ever.

Remember the comic strip Tank McNamara that appeared in the sports pages in the 80's? They used to mock ND calling them the "University without sin".

The national media never let up on this line of thought during the Lou Holtz era. The national press, ESPN, the Sporting News, and especially SI. Even the NFL pre game shows chimed in. Like I said ND fb benefited tremendously from this free publicity.

Now Lou Holtz, who I respect and thought was a great coach used to say in interviews all the time that when it came to academics ND recruited the same players everybody did they didn't go after someone different. He flat out said that ND had a few kids who were admitted that were on the border so to speak.

Look Bob Golic an AA an all pro and a free spirit to say the least once said that the attitude of the ND players when it came to school was that C's will get you degrees and on tv laughed about saying he got a degree in anthropology that he probably won't use now that his playing days are over. He even implied that if you get into ND all you have to do is make a half *** effort on a paper you'll get passed.

So yeah I took it all personally and when ND gets back to the level they were during the Holtz and Parsagheian days the media will once again pick up where they left off. As if there are no other schools with great academics and great fb tradition except ND. As if schools, like TX, MI, and ST, don't exist.

I don't know how good a chance we have on Sunday night we are going to have to bring our A game but we'll have to wait and see. I do think Brian Kelly is without question, a top ten coach. They got it wrong with Davie, Willingham, and Weis, after Holtz left but they got it right with BK.

I'll never forget New Years Day 1979 when Joe Montana led that incredible comeback against cougar high in the Cotton Bowl. That's when I began to wonder about the luck of the Irish or that ND is blessed from above. Jerome Bettis was a **** of a player and he deserved to be voted into the HOF as have other ND players.

There’s a word I’ve picked up since I moved to Texas a decade or so ago, “butthurt”. As best I can tell, it means “to be bitter and angry over superficial matters”. I’ve never used the term myself before now, but there’s a lot of “butthurt” in your post.

“First of all your student body was the one that sold the t shirts Catholics vs Convicts when you played the U.”

So what? This broke no law or university regulation. It was hilarious then and I still have mine.

“Your officials always went on about how ND wanted to stop playing teams like the U because they didn't have the right perspective about fb.”

Uh, no, they stopped playing Miami because of the (nationally televised) fight in the tunnel before the 1988 game. The image-conscious ND brass didn’t want another, so they didn’t publically announced that they wouldn’t renew the series after it expired in 1990. They also stopped playing Georgia Tech (or, more accurately, declined to renew the series when it expired after 1980) after the 1978 game when bottles and fish were thrown at the Irish sidelines, causing both teams to share the GT sideline for the remainder of the game. They generally don’t play teams that have recently been on probation, though they made an exception in 1989 by leaving SMU (the year they started playing again after their 2-year death penalty) at SMU’s request, as the SMU folks thought the visibility would help their program. The non-renewal (and recent renewal) of the Michigan series has received lots of attention (though not the fact that Michigan was set to cancel the series in 2012 due to the B10 expanding conference play to 9 games before ND beat them to the punch in canceling because of ND’s new arrangement with the ACC). Can you name any other series that ND has cancelled or not renewed for what you consider a nefarious reason? Good luck.

“To hear some ND people and especially the national media act every ND fb player could have gotten into an Ivy League school.”

They probably could have, as football players. I know two guys who played football for an Ivy (Harvard, Penn), and both were recruited by various DI schools, none of which had stellar academic reputations. Ivy League schools give admissions breaks to FB players same as everyone else. It is true, though, that there are a handful of athletes that don’t make it past ND’s admissions board that do end up on other DI rosters. Only Stanford has higher admissions requirements among DI FB schools for FB players. This is common knowledge, and easily verifiable. ND has occasionally bent its standards to allow a non-qualifier (Tony Rice and Chris Zorich, for example, both of whom graduated on time, with Zorich later going to law school). Again, what's your problem here? That ND occasionally allows exceptions to its own rules?

“ND players never took steroids.”

I'm sure they do take them. I know of no fellow alum who says differently. The school randomly tests them 2-6 times a year. What more would you like them to do? What does USC do? Ohio State? Alabama?

“No ND player ever got a $100 handshake from an alum after a fb game.”

I know ND has never been put on probation for athletes receiving money from alums, nor have ND folks even been suspected of engaging in this type of thing. Does it go on? I can’t prove it doesn’t, but as ND has never been either accused nor even suspected of allowing this type of thing to take place, I don’t know why I should have to.

“ND never broke any rules, ever.”

There were two minor NCAA violations in 1950’s and 1970’s – one for holding an illegal practice and the other for a local business using a player’s photo in an advertisement – and there was one major violation in 1999. The major violation was a woman who was dating a football player (whom she had a kid with and later married) who spent a lot of money on him and his friends (some of whom were also Irish players) that was later found out to have been embezzled by her from her company. As she was neither an ND alum, employee, nor on any ND board, nor an agent of any kind, Holtz (this stuff happened in 1994-6, but the NCAA didn’t investigate until later) did nothing. It was later found out that she was a $25 member of the Quarterback Club, which meant she got to go to brunch with the coaches on Fridays before home games. The NCAA ridiculously ruled that this $25 membership made her an “official of the university” and claimed ND had committed a major violation. Their punishment was the loss of 10 scholarships.

If you know of any other violations, it would be news to me, ND, and the NCAA.

As for the “free publicity”, yes, when you have the largest fanbase in the country, media outlets will give you plenty of coverage. The Lakers and Celtics, UCLA, Kentucky, and Indiana basketball, the Yankees, Red Sox and Cubs.. all have gotten (and still get) plenty of ink even through periods where they're not serious title contenders. Why is this a problem for you?

As for Bob Golic, and ND athletes in general, yes, their academic interest ranges from “serious” to “not as serious” to “do the minimum needed to get by”. So what? ND strives mightily to see that their athletes receive an education and a degree. The motivation to take advantage of this must come from the athlete. About half of those that pursue the “do the minimum needed to get by” end up transferring somewhere else, but a handful graduate while shortchanging themselves. What would you have the school do, exactly?

Here the thing, and hopefully it will save you the time typing out more half-assed accusations against ND: I know much more about ND, warts and all, than you do. I’ve seen how the sausage gets made at both a state school (where I was an athlete) and at ND (where I lived with athletes and continue to be involved in boards and alumni groups). ND’s was cleaner and more ethical by a country mile, but it was not perfect. ND is not perfect, and never will be. ND is not above reproach, and never will be. But they strive mightily to be perfect and above reproach, and for this they deserve credit. Maybe your alma mater or favorite school also strives this way and for that they also deserve credit. Maybe they don’t, and should rightly be called on it. But, again, throwing dirt on ND won’t change the amount of credit or criticism your school gets. So what exactly are you trying to accomplish which such silly – and largely inaccurate or superficial – accusations?

I've already spent more time on you than your accusations deserve. For your own sake, I hope you find a more deserving outlet for your "butthurt" feelings... I hear there's an election coming up featuring two, shall we say, less-than-ideal candidates. Maybe you can focus your ire there....

Last edited:

LOL ;)

I don't agree with your prediction, but kudos on the "The Warriors" reference.

I've always been mildly surprised that Michael Beck (Swan) didn't go on to be a bigger star....

By the records,ND owns Texas.I have seen a lot of these games and it looked like ND wins in trenches both in the OL and DL.ND recruits its kids from a National level and Texas with primarily Texas kids.Texas is still a young group but few thought we had much of chance against OU last year except the players on the field that day.Im reminded of the quote,"its not the best team who always wins but the team that plays the best that day".Texas is looking forward to play ND and has a point to prove.
Our "owning" you guys has a lot to do with the fact that in eight of the 11 games we were coached by either Jesse Harper, Frank Leahy, Ara Parseghian, Dan Devine, or Lou Holtz. And Knute Rockne and Gus Dorias played in the first one. If a bunch of those games had been coached by the likes of Bob Davie, Ty Willingham, or Charlie Weis, you guys would be the ones sporting the obnoxious pre-game shirt.

There’s a word I’ve picked up since I moved to Texas a decade or so ago, “butthurt”. As best I can tell, it means “to be bitter and angry over superficial matters”. I’ve never used the term myself before now, but there’s a lot of “butthurt” in your post.

“First of all your student body was the one that sold the t shirts Catholics vs Convicts when you played the U.”

So what? This broke no law or university regulation. It was hilarious then and I still have mine.

“Your officials always went on about how ND wanted to stop playing teams like the U because they didn't have the right perspective about fb.”

Uh, no, they stopped playing Miami because of the (nationally televised) fight in the tunnel before the 1988 game. The image-conscious ND brass didn’t want another, so they didn’t publically announced that they wouldn’t renew the series after it expired in 1990. They also stopped playing Georgia Tech (or, more accurately, declined to renew the series when it expired after 1980) after the 1978 game when bottles and fish were thrown at the Irish sidelines, causing both teams to share the GT sideline for the remainder of the game. They generally don’t play teams that have recently been on probation, though they made an exception in 1989 by leaving SMU (the year they started playing again after their 2-year death penalty) at SMU’s request, as the SMU folks thought the visibility would help their program. The non-renewal (and recent renewal) of the Michigan series has received lots of attention (though not the fact that Michigan was set to cancel the series in 2012 due to the B10 expanding conference play to 9 games before ND beat them to the punch in canceling because of ND’s new arrangement with the ACC). Can you name any other series that ND has cancelled or not renewed for what you consider a nefarious reason? Good luck.

“To hear some ND people and especially the national media act every ND fb player could have gotten into an Ivy League school.”

They probably could have, as football players. I know two guys who played football for an Ivy (Harvard, Penn), and both were recruited by various DI schools, none of which had stellar academic reputations. Ivy League schools give admissions breaks to FB players same as everyone else. It is true, though, that there are a handful of athletes that don’t make it past ND’s admissions board that do end up on other DI rosters. Only Stanford has higher admissions requirements among DI FB schools for FB players. This is common knowledge, and easily verifiable. ND has occasionally bent its standards to allow a non-qualifier (Tony Rice and Chris Zorich, for example, both of whom graduated on time, with Zorich later going to law school). Again, what's your problem here? That ND occasionally allows exceptions to its own rules?

“ND players never took steroids.”

I'm sure they do take them. I know of no fellow alum who says differently. The school randomly tests them 2-6 times a year. What more would you like them to do? What does USC do? Ohio State? Alabama?

“No ND player ever got a $100 handshake from an alum after a fb game.”

I know ND has never been put on probation for athletes receiving money, nor have ND folks even been suspected of engaging in this type of thing. Does it go on? I can’t prove it doesn’t, but as ND has never been either accused nor even suspected of allowing this type of thing to take place, I don’t know why I should have to.

“ND never broke any rules, ever.”

There were two minor NCAA violations in 1950’s and 1970’s – one for holding an illegal practice and the other for a local business using a player’s photo in an advertisement – and there was one major violation in 1999. The major violation was a woman who was dating a football player (whom she had a kid with and later married) who spent a lot of money on him and his friends (some of whom were also Irish players) that was later found out to have been embezzled by her from her company. As she was neither an ND alum, employee, nor on any ND board, nor an agent of any kind, Holtz (this stuff happened in 1994-6, but the NCAA didn’t investigate until later) did nothing. It was later found out that she was a $25 member of the Quarterback Club, which meant she got to go to brunch with the coaches on Fridays before home games. The NCAA ridiculously ruled that this $25 membership made her an “official of the university” and claimed ND had committed a major violation. Their punishment was the loss of 10 scholarships.

If you know of any other violations, it would be news to me, ND, and the NCAA.

As for the “free publicity”, yes, when you have the largest fanbase in the country, media outlets will give you plenty of coverage. The Lakers and Celtics, UCLA, Kentucky, and Indiana basketball, the Yankees, Red Sox and Cubs.. all have gotten (and still get) plenty of ink even through periods where they're not serious title contenders. Why is this a problem for you?

As for Bob Golic, and ND athletes in general, yes, their academic interest ranges from “serious” to “not as serious” to “do the minimum needed to get by”. So what? ND strives mightily to see that their athletes receive an education and a degree. The motivation to take advantage of this must come from the athlete. About half of those that pursue the “do the minimum needed to get by” end up transferring somewhere else, but a handful graduate while shortchanging themselves. What would you have the school do, exactly?

Here the thing, and hopefully it will save you the time typing out more half-assed accusations against ND: I know much more about ND, warts and all, than you do. I’ve seen how the sausage gets made at both a state school (where I was an athlete) and at ND (where I lived with athletes and continue to be involved in boards and alumni groups). ND’s was cleaner and more ethical by a country mile, but it was not perfect. ND is not perfect, and never will be. ND is not above reproach, and never will be. But they strive mightily to be perfect and above reproach, and for this they deserve credit. Maybe your alma mater or favorite school also strives this way and for that they also deserve credit. Maybe they don’t, and should rightly be called on it. But, again, throwing dirt on ND won’t change the amount of credit or criticism your school gets. So what exactly are you trying to accomplish which such silly – and largely inaccurate or superficial – accusations?

I've already spent more time on you than your accusations deserve. For your own sake, I hope you find a more deserving outlet for your "butthurt" feelings... I hear there's an election coming up featuring two, shall we say, less-than-ideal candidates. Maybe you can focus your ire there....

I for one will give you high marks for the longest smack retort I ever heard of.
My reply is to quote a very eloquent American Hero......"NUTS!"

I for one will give you high marks for the longest smack retort I ever heard of.
My reply is to quote a very eloquent American Hero......"NUTS!"

We went from "the Warriors" in a hot, 1979, NYC summer to the freezing cold, 1944 Christmas, Battle of the Bulge, in the Ardennes.

America.
Suck it Kim Jong Un.

For the record, it's my call, drop all remaining ordinance on my position. It's been a hell of a war.

"Get me some good low angle stuff. Don't make it too obvious but I wanna see fur, and early morning dew." ...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT