ADVERTISEMENT

A&M Going After Jimbo?

Yeah I actually think Sumlin has done a good job this year save the UCLA collapse. Now of course their roster woes are his doing, but in a vacuum they've done okay especially if they were to beat LSU.
They might as well have fired him after getting blown out by Miss St. at home coming off the bye week. His fate was sealed at that time.
His mismanagement of the QB position put the program in an impossible situation. Getting Trevor Knight for a year helped but having your first and 2nd string QB's (both 5 stars) transfer at the same time is unthinkable. There was simply no way he was going to recover from that and it was every bit his fault that it happened.

Last edited:
They might as well have fired him after getting blown out by Miss St. at home coming off the bye week. His fate was sealed at that time.
His mismanagement of the QB position put the program in an impossible situation. Getting Trevor Knight for a year helped but having your first and 2nd string QB's (both 5 stars) transfer at the same time is unthinkable. There was simply no way he was going to recover from that and it was every bit his fault that it happened.

I think that was quite awesome if I might say so myself. aggy is still aggy and will always be an 8-4 type of program. Its who they are. Always has been. Always will be.

Here are some a&m stats for you: has a losing record at home in the $EC, has a 16-19 record against the $EC west, hasn't beaten an $EC west team at home since October 2015, hasn't won a conference title since 1998, hasn't won a bowl game since 2014, has only won 10 games twice since 1994.

You guys should be used to being the big dogs bitch and playing second fiddle in your conference. Accept it. =)roll

Reactions: cml7374
While he has some prior relationships with our administration until one of these big time coaches actually leaves, instead of using a potential offer as leverage for a new contract, I wont believe it.

James Franklin would be awesome, I am thankful you guys picked Strong over him last time, but do not think he will leave State.

I don't see Franklin making what would be a lateral move to a&m. He's got Penn St. positioned to be a top five team for the near future. It would make no sense to walk away from that now.

Let’s be honest - leaving a positioned blue blood for A&M would be a downgrade. I don’t think anyone sees PSU to A&M as a lateral.

Let’s be honest - leaving a positioned blue blood for A&M would be a downgrade. I don’t think anyone sees PSU to A&M as a lateral.

True.

Also, with the Florida and Tennessee jobs open, most coaches, if they're smart, will find those openings more appealing because you don't have to face the $EC west powers and you have a much easier path the the championship game from the east side than the west side. To your point, James Franklin is not going to leave Penn State for a&m. That is a lateral move at best, and it makes no sense. He has PSU positioned very well now.

I'll be surprised if Jimbo Fisher leaves Florida State for a&m. There is absolutely NO comparison between football programs at the schools. I've heard that Fisher has had issues with the FSU brass and has some desire to return to the $EC, but again, the $EC west is not very appealing given who you would have to deal with in that division. I still say its going to be Chad Morris at aggy, who would be a decent hire.

Texas A&M does less with more than just about any other program. The only reason they were invited to the SEC is because they’re a large state institution that got the conference’s footprint into the state of Texas.

Reactions: LonghornMM
Texas A&M does less with more than just about any other program. The only reason they were invited to the SEC is because they’re a large state institution that got the conference’s footprint into the state of Texas.

Exactly. The $EC is using aggy, but they don't see it. :rolleyes:

Reactions: freeper
They think they somehow one-upped UT, but the reality is the SEC wanted the state itself and unfortunately for them had to invite Texas A&M along for the ride. If UT ever decided to look elsewhere and were willing to roll the Longhorn Network into an existing conference network, they could have an immediate invite to any of the other four Power 5 conferences. Luckily, the Big 12 is still making a ton of money and is Texas-centric, which is what I’ve been told UT wants.

Reactions: LonghornMM
They think they somehow one-upped UT, but the reality is the SEC wanted the state itself and unfortunately for them had to invite Texas A&M along for the ride. If UT ever decided to look elsewhere and were willing to roll the Longhorn Network into an existing conference network, they could have an immediate invite to any of the other four Power 5 conferences. Luckily, the Big 12 is still making a ton of money and is Texas-centric, which is what I’ve been told UT wants.
The big 12 is still making money but weather or not it lasts past this current TV deal(2024 I think) is a major question imo. I think Texas will be shopping itself down the road.

The big 12 is still making money but weather or not it lasts past this current TV deal(2024 I think) is a major question imo. I think Texas will be shopping itself down the road.
Texas is fine where it's at. I don't see a move unless the whole conference explode. If the PAC 12 don't get their stuff right, you could see the AZ schools making a push towards the BIG12

Texas is fine where it's at. I don't see a move unless the whole conference explode. If the PAC 12 don't get their stuff right, you could see the AZ schools making a push towards the BIG12
Yeah. Point being. There is going to be more conference shuffling in 5-6,years. So the big 12 future past 2024 is a little questionable. I’d like to see them aggressive in expansion but they haven’t shown a lot of interest in that so far.

Why? We are only behind the SEC and B1G as far as media revenue, if I’m not mistaken. Texas and OU are the big dogs in a Power 5 Conference that is centered in Texas, you keep the Red River Rivalry, the playoff myths about the Big 12 have been dispelled as OU is once again going to be able to control their own destiny regarding the CFP (with one loss nonetheless), and you can keep the LHN. Do you want to end up in a conference centered on the West Coast, where your games are going to be played at 9 CST with significantly less viewers or in a conference where you take a backseat to OSU and Michigan?

Yeah. Point being. There is going to be more conference shuffling in 5-6,years. So the big 12 future past 2024 is a little questionable. I’d like to see them aggressive in expansion but they haven’t shown a lot of interest in that so far.

No, they haven’t been interested in adding schools that would decrease the per-school payout from TV money and don’t improve the conference’s perceived strength.

Reactions: Pumpedup55
No, they haven’t been interested in adding schools that would decrease the per-school payout from TV money and don’t improve the conference’s perceived strength.
Right. Now it didn’t make sense. But when everyone was shuffling around a few years ago they didn’t make a move, and we’re kind of left in the cold When it starts up again(and it will) would like to see them get aggressive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT