ADVERTISEMENT

All Time WR group...

hookem777

Dec 13, 2011
This year our WR in the regular season ( including TES) would be

Worthy 73 catches for 969 yards and 5 TD's
Mitchell 51 catches for 813 yards and 10 TD's
Sanders 39 catches for 607 yards and 2 Td's

Where would you rank this group over the history of Texas. I would say the only group that MAY hold up to them is

Roy Williams
B.J Johnson
Sloan Thomas.

what say you?

Where would you rank this group over the history of Texas. I would say the only group that MAY hold up to them is

Roy Williams
B.J Johnson
Sloan Thomas.

what say you?
Hey you forgot to mention Jordan Whittington. I think the 4 combined had almost 200 catches.

The great receiving quartet in longhorn history you ask? It's not even close. We have had to many poorly coached, spoiled, lazy, underachieving receivers at Texas.

But this group is the best. In every facet. These 4 can play and be productive in the NFL.

Last edited:
Hey you forgot to mention Jordan Whittingham I think the 4 combined due almost 200 catches.

The great receiving quartet in longhorn history you ask? It's not even close. We have had to many poorly coached, spoiled, lazy, underachieving receivers at Texas.

But this group is the best. In every facet. These 4 can play and be productive in the NFL.
I love Whitt, but i took the top 3 and those to me are the top 3 WR...now if you wanna talk football players that another topic. I really hope we win a Natty not just for the fans, the team but really Whitt the dude deserves it.

Last edited:
The current group, imo.
Worthy is our number 1 but god Mitchell has been HUGE for us this year. If we didn't have him it probably would have been Cain again and i dont see him putting up those stats

Reactions: westx

Roy Williams
B.J Johnson
Sloan Thomas.

what say you?
You forgot Jordan

I was typing the same thing Drew.
You can’t talk greatest UT receivers without Quan and Jordan in the conversation.

Quan Cosby and J Ship. 2008.
180 receptions, almost 2200 yards, and 21 touchdowns.

Last edited:
Reactions: diadevic
I was typing the same thing Drew.
You can’t talk greatest UT receivers without Quan and Jordan in the conversation.

Quan Cosby and J Ship. 2008.
180 receptions, almost 2200 yards, and 21 touchdowns.
i can agree with that..but was more looking at a top 3 wr goup as a unit. i do love me some Ship and Quan though.

I would put Jordan Shipley and Quan Cosby up against anybody. Both had 80+ catches and over 1K yards a piece in 2008. They combined for 21 TDs.

Lovell Pinkney was the most gifted receiver ever to walk on the 40 acres.
Roy Williams was the most dominating.
Mike Adams was the most elusive.
Eric Metcalf was the most explosive.
Jordan Shipley was the most dependable.
Duvernay was the most wasted talent.
BJ was the sneakiest.

Reactions: oldhorn2
Again in talking group same team. Only I could agree with is ship and Quan

again group of WR's not just one...Roy Williams in my OP is the best WR we ever had if you wanna go 1v1
Roy Williams? Where do I start?
Roy Williams was not 6'5" (Bill Little) he was 6'2"
Roy Williams did not run a 4.29 40 ( once again Bill Little) he ran a 4.55
Roy Williams was spoiled
Roy Williams was lazy
Roy Williams scored 0 tds in 4 years against Oklahoma in fact none of those receivers from his class scored a td against Oklahoma.
Bah humbug

Otoh Quinn and Jordan between them scored at least 6 tds against when they played for us.

Look at Texas you're judged by what you did against Oklahoma. That may not be fair but that's the standard.

I've got 💯 props for Quan and Jordan they were very good.

But this quartet had the best coaches that the others mentioned didn't.

Reactions: oldhorn2 and westx
BJ was the sneakiest.
Duvernay had great hands but he had poor coaching. I'm glad he's carved out a good career on special teams. You played with him but I don't know if Lovell wanted to play. Mike Adams was the best of the names you mentioned.

If there's one position in the NFL where we've done poorly in the NFL it's receiver. That is finally going to change.

Duvernay had great hands but he had poor coaching. I'm glad he's carved out a good career on special teams. You played with him but I don't know if Lovell wanted to play. Mike Adams was the best of the names you mentioned.

If there's one position in the NFL where we've done poorly in the NFL it's receiver. That is finally going to change.
Lovell could've been a hall of fame WR in the NFL. He was a generational talent.
The man could do anything physically that you could imagine.

Roy Williams? Where do I start?
Roy Williams was not 6'5" (Bill Little) he was 6'2"
Roy Williams did not run a 4.29 40 ( once again Bill Little) he ran a 4.55
Roy Williams was spoiled
Roy Williams was lazy
Roy Williams scored 0 tds in 4 years against Oklahoma in fact none of those receivers from his class scored a td against Oklahoma.
Bah humbug

Otoh Quinn and Jordan between them scored at least 6 tds against when they played for us.

Look at Texas you're judged by what you did against Oklahoma. That may not be fair but that's the standard.

I've got 💯 props for Quan and Jordan they were very good.

But this quartet had the best coaches that the others mentioned didn't.
I have always wanted to discuss this topic, so glad it came up. Texas has always frustrated me in the past by not using their elite play makers enough against ou and others. I can't blame Roy Williams totally, because I have no idea if it was the coach calling the plays or the QB. But, when you have a load like Williams, you want to dictate with attitude. In other words, Roy, the ball is coming your way regardless of that 5'10 corner that is covering you. Cali, I vividly remember the Roy Williams disappearing act when ou rolled around. I also remember Stoops's defense always had a soft zone over the middle where tight ends could dominate, but Mack and Co would not do it, or rather, not enough to make them adjust and open something else up. ou would get exposed by decent teams in bowl games by taking advantage of this very thing. I remember Texas losing a particular game to ou where Jermichael Finley killed it in the 1st half in 2007, then they quit going to him for the rest of the game. Why? I dunno. That 2007 team should have wiped the floor with the gooners, but instead lost. My memory may not be exact but, please feel free to counter or correct any of my above ramblings.

Reactions: hookem777

Roy Williams
B.J Johnson
Sloan Thomas.

what say you?
How manyy touchdowns did Williams, Sloan and Thomas combined score in the RRS?

• Haha
Reactions: LongfellowDrew

Roy Williams
B.J Johnson
Sloan Thomas.

what say you?
If we are talking straight stats, can't forget this group from 2018:
Lil Jordan86 Rec1176 yards13.7 avg9 TDs
Collin Johnson68 rec985 yards14.5 avg7 TDs
Duvernay41 rec546 yards13.3 avg4 TDs

I remember Sam just chucking the ball down field like Lil Jordan gonna come down with it some how no matter the coverage or how off-target the throw was.

Reactions: hookem777 and westx
It’s really hard to compare since the college game has become almost exclusively a passing game over the last 15 years. I would love to see what kind of production guys like Pinckney, Adams, Williams and a guy who played during my time at Texas.- Herkie Walls. That dude was the fastest human being I ever saw in my life and he could catch everything. The problem was we hardly threw the ball back in the 1980’s. Herkie had a ridiculous TD to reception ratio. He would put up stats like 4 receptions for 180 yards and 2 TD’s. I think one season he had about 35 receptions and like 12 touchdowns. He was insane.

It’s really hard to compare since the college game has become almost exclusively a passing game over the last 15 years. I would love to see what kind of production guys like Pinckney, Adams, Williams and a guy who played during my time at Texas.- Herkie Walls. That dude was the fastest human being I ever saw in my life and he could catch everything. The problem was we hardly threw the ball back in the 1980’s. Herkie had a ridiculous TD to reception ratio. He would put up stats like 4 receptions for 180 yards and 2 TD’s. I think one season he had about 35 receptions and like 12 touchdowns. He was insane.
This is so true. I would love to see what past players like, McGarity, Kwame, Mike Adams, and Metcalf could have done in today's offensive landscape. These were some of the first guys I cut my teeth on has a Longhorn fan.

Reactions: hookem777

Roy Williams
B.J Johnson
Sloan Thomas.

what say you?
BJ was the sneakiest.
David Thomas at TE

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT