ADVERTISEMENT

An update on the situation involving hornsfan65

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sucks. This board has become a Dear Abby of sorts, which says a lot about the community, but it has gotten painful to read. I won’t comment on any specific posts, but you can’t read 3 threads without a “prayers needed” topic. Maybe create a corral for such things.

The board is nothing short of depressing.

Prayer only works if you do it this way:

tenor.gif

Can current IPs and past IPs be compared to validate his story of being hacked?

Pretty sure @Ketchum already knows for certain whether his story held up. My best guess is he’s being graciously diplomatic about everything in the hopes of preventing a pile on of someone who clearly needs help and support.

Well, I've officially had the one of the most surreal 24 hours of my life. Given that this is completely uncharted territory, I'm going to try to explain this situation via a short timeline of events.

* After the events from Saturday night and Sunday morning concerning the safety of the Orangebloods poster @hornsfan65, the Orangebloods staff spent the better part of Sunday and today working will law enforcement officials to confirm what had allegedly occurred on the message board. There wasn't a phone number listed in the user's contact information and none of the other listed information was current/correct, so initial efforts to provide both aid and confirmation were unsuccessful.

* By the end of this morning, we had very, very strong reasons to believe that the story that @hornsfan65 had told on the site had been untrue. Anwar Richardson led the investigation for us all day today and eventually confirmed through Amarillo police that @hornsfan65 was alive. The police had spoken with @hornsfan65 and that he confirmed that he was safe and claimed his account had been hacked over the weekend. While on a three-way call with Anwar and the police officer, we requested that the officer contact @hornsfan65 and ask if we could contact him.

* Less than an hour ago, Anwar and I spoke with @hornsfan65 over the phone. According to him, he has not used his Orangebloods account in quite a while and he can't explain how this situation occurred or who might have made the posts under his account if it wasn't him. Honestly, we asked a number of questions that he just didn't have answers for and it means that as of this very second, I can't fully explain situation this with complete detail, even if I have strong suspicions about what happened.

The best possible news is that we didn't lose an Orangebloods member this weekend in horrific fashion. I keep reminding myself that this is all that matters. I want to express to everyone that I made repeated attempts to check on his safety and state of mind, imploring with him to talk with us if he needed someone to talk to. However, he was quite insistent that he was in good health and of sound mind.

The bad news is that the a lot of people, including myself, were taken advantage of. All the members of this community wanted to do was be there for someone in a moment of need and that amazing amount of good faith was taken advantage of.

I don't know what else to say other than these three things:

1. Everyone who contributed to the fund that @echeese established in the last 24 hours will have their money refunded. I've told Chuck that I will work hand in hand in any capacity needed to make sure this is done in quick fashion.

2. There is still an active investigation about this on our end. I wouldn't normally write something before an investigation concludes, but this matter required urgent communication between myself and the board.

3. We will work to create a vetting process exists for any fund that is promoted on the site moving forward. We were all just trying to do the right thing, but in the future we're going to have to wait until situations are fully vetted before we support and allow for donations to take place.

A few people have told me that I don't have anything to be sorry about as it relates to all of this, but I don't believe that to be true. The buck stops with me and in retrospect, I would do things a little different today with the ability of a little hindsight.

My sincere apologies.

gk

Geoff, seriously caring about your members is one of the best things about this site. You have nothing to be sorry for. I love this place

Well, I've officially had the one of the most surreal 24 hours of my life. Given that this is completely uncharted territory, I'm going to try to explain this situation via a short timeline of events.

* After the events from Saturday night and Sunday morning concerning the safety of the Orangebloods poster @hornsfan65, the Orangebloods staff spent the better part of Sunday and today working will law enforcement officials to confirm what had allegedly occurred on the message board. There wasn't a phone number listed in the user's contact information and none of the other listed information was current/correct, so initial efforts to provide both aid and confirmation were unsuccessful.

* By the end of this morning, we had very, very strong reasons to believe that the story that @hornsfan65 had told on the site had been untrue. Anwar Richardson led the investigation for us all day today and eventually confirmed through Amarillo police that @hornsfan65 was alive. The police had spoken with @hornsfan65 and that he confirmed that he was safe and claimed his account had been hacked over the weekend. While on a three-way call with Anwar and the police officer, we requested that the officer contact @hornsfan65 and ask if we could contact him.

* Less than an hour ago, Anwar and I spoke with @hornsfan65 over the phone. According to him, he has not used his Orangebloods account in quite a while and he can't explain how this situation occurred or who might have made the posts under his account if it wasn't him. Honestly, we asked a number of questions that he just didn't have answers for and it means that as of this very second, I can't fully explain situation this with complete detail, even if I have strong suspicions about what happened.

The best possible news is that we didn't lose an Orangebloods member this weekend in horrific fashion. I keep reminding myself that this is all that matters. I want to express to everyone that I made repeated attempts to check on his safety and state of mind, imploring with him to talk with us if he needed someone to talk to. However, he was quite insistent that he was in good health and of sound mind.

The bad news is that the a lot of people, including myself, were taken advantage of. All the members of this community wanted to do was be there for someone in a moment of need and that amazing amount of good faith was taken advantage of.

1. Everyone who contributed to the fund that @echeese established in the last 24 hours will have their money refunded. I've told Chuck that I will work hand in hand in any capacity needed to make sure this is done in quick fashion.

2. There is still an active investigation about this on our end. I wouldn't normally write something before an investigation concludes, but this matter required urgent communication between myself and the board.

3. We will work to create a vetting process exists for any fund that is promoted on the site moving forward. We were all just trying to do the right thing, but in the future we're going to have to wait until situations are fully vetted before we support and allow for donations to take place.

A few people have told me that I don't have anything to be sorry about as it relates to all of this, but I don't believe that to be true. The buck stops with me and in retrospect, I would do things a little different today with the ability of a little hindsight.

My sincere apologies.

gk
What I miss?

Reactions: mhen903
He told us he never served in the military. I asked why was avatar military related. He said he never put up that avatar and somebody else must of done it.
That explains why I was unable to track him down by his first & last name via the military. Wow, I'm getting madder the more I read. I was thinking this was a military guy who had issues & needed help. Now, he's a pretend Army Ranger who faked his own death?

My sincere apologies.

gk
As someone who had a much lengthier goodbye email written up in 2012 and a gun, and never hit send, this kind of thing pisses me off.

So did someone hack his IP address as well? To then get on OB to confess their feelings?

Did they happen to know the wife’s name and sons age? And where he lived and his veteran status?

That’s hot bologna.

His grace period expired when he didn’t own his bullshit. Just say I’m sorry, I was embarrassed, I never planned or made an effort to take a dime. Not this BS.

Reactions: cjk194 and TaxSaver
Still a stand up display by the members of this board.
And our leader @Ketchum. This entire community pulled together in quick order to help out, and it's a damn shame that it appears that someone was just trying to either take advantage of the kind hearts on this board or just get attention in a quite macabre fashion. Ultimately, though, this one ain't on Ketch or @echeese. Those men are two of the heroes of this story.

Last edited:
OK,

I'm pretty red faced but working with Fundly to return funds.

One thing I do want to share, I have had 3 OBs reach out to me today about family members that need help around the state.

Real, no bullshit cases of guys needing help plus a LEO who head a group called 3rd watch, called me (I had posted the link to fund raise online) about another vet who needs help.

But trying to make lemonaide of our lemons.

:oops:

As I stated in the other thread, I don't mind my money going to a good cause elsewhere. I also trust that you will make sure that happens. Strong work on all of this buddy.

This sounds bad, but I went back and reviewed some of his old posts yesterday. He had mentioned two daughters/step-daughters before and I don't recall them being discussed after this happened, which seemed odd.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anwar Richardson
Hoax or not, that was truly this boards finest hour. Don't ever take away the ability of people to reach out to the community despite the childish and criminally insane behavior of some posters. Don't banish that privilege to a Corral type board just because of a few jackasses. No telling how many people OB truly helps with all these encouraging posts, prayers and even monetary support. It's just amazing sometimes. I'm truly honored to be a member here.

Hook'em

What’s sad is this will chill future efforts to help people in our community. That sucks.
I posted this in another thread:

This community is too good and it’s collective heart is too big to stop helping its members. That being said, seems to me that PTSD and the various issues that our vets deal with might be more of a private matter. I know @duqu @HALOMAN @A-10HORN and others have all counseled in DM but maybe if there was a pinned thread that defined protocol and a list of qualified members to talk to in private? I don’t know about the sites liability in matters like this but I’d be willing to pay a little more to help our Longhorn Veterans.

That explains why I was unable to track him down by his first & last name via the military. Wow, I'm getting madder the more I read. I was thinking this was a military guy who had issues & needed help. Now, he's a pretend Army Ranger who faked his own death? Wow...........I'm very, very tempted to post his full name, contact details, etc and let the Main Board eat him alive.

Do it. It is deserved.

My sincere apologies.

gk
Ketch, no apologies needed.

I know that my Lord would say that I should be in elation over the news that our OB brother is still alive, but for some reason it seems to be another example of my sympathy for others to cause me to get repeatedly anally abused:(

Kind of fuzzy on how you went from not being able to contact him because his account info was inaccurate to tracking him down via the police. Regardless, what a crazy ordeal. The guy obviously has some mental issues and that shouldn’t be taken too lightly here.

There’s Something About Mary.

Reactions: txcuernolargo
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT