ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone already calling for a Head coaching change

swVAHorn

Jun 20, 2014
needs their heads examined. I am a fan just like most of you and I will scream at the top of my lungs when a terrible coaching decision happens but my God this is the 1st game. Let's at least get the season going and see if we actually improve from this game to the last game. Now if we see the SAME mistakes and the same TERRIBLE hires as the coach before him I will be on that fire him train myself but let's give the man a chance....Texas has had 3 losing seasons in a row.....anywhere else and I mean anywhere else that is called REBUILDING not reloading.

I will raise cane with you guys when they screw up but I am giving them a chance to FIX it.

I haven't seen anyone call for a coaching change. It is concerning that after week 1 we seem to have a lot of the exact same issues we had in November last year. It is just one week. I have valid concerns over weather Herman really is the next big thing but he for sure deserves more then 1 week.

I certainly hope Athe money guys don't start trying to lure their next hot name. Give the guy a chance.

Reactions: HornsRuleU
needs their heads examined. I am a fan just like most of you and I will scream at the top of my lungs when a terrible coaching decision happens but my God this is the 1st game. Let's at least get the season going and see if we actually improve from this game to the last game. Now if we see the SAME mistakes and the same TERRIBLE hires as the coach before him I will be on that fire him train myself but let's give the man a chance....Texas has had 3 losing seasons in a row.....anywhere else and I mean anywhere else that is called REBUILDING not reloading.

I will raise cane with you guys when they screw up but I am giving them a chance to FIX it.
Errrr..... um...... slick.. let's take one big step back and evaluate.

This weekend sucked. There's no doubt about it. But for a moment, let's be objective.

I've aired my thoughts about the Herman hiring, and did so because I believed in my heart that Charlie was not qualified to be the head coach here because of the X factors. His resume was shallow as a head coach but solid as an assistant. TH is the same. It would be hypocritical of me to favor TH over CS because they basically have the same resume.
Regardless of the number of years Charlie stayed here, I don't think he'd have eventually "got it". It's like asking Adam Sandler to star in a block buster action movie....just not a good fit.

Does TH have the framework to win here? I think so..... but it's going to be like watching Bruce Willis transition from the comedy "Moonlighting" to the action film "Die Hard". Bruce is now an action star...that can be funny when needed.

These transitions take time. Will TH make it? Tough to say at this point. I agree, much like I did in CS first year. Year 1 is a throw away.

So let's all pull down our pants, or up our skirts, get a firm and tight grip on our juevos, and play year one out. If the suckage continues, we know which way the wind blows.

Reactions: ekal48
That's a good take Clob.

I think TH has what it takes also.

However, he is going to ride a lot heat for his arrogance and failure to admit mistakes.

I thought that was a really bad press conference on Monday. He said something to the effect that he didn't see one instance where the coaches made a call that wasn't correct. He's going to find out real fast that there are a lot of coaches out there that will hand him his ass on a platter real fast if he doesn't have his team better prepared than he did on Saturday.

However, he is going to ride a lot heat for his arrogance and failure to admit mistakes.

I'm not sure where you see the arrogance in his Monday press conference. He said we're not going to be stubborn to not change but not to panic. I think if you have some concern about who we hired you'll look for things to pin against him.

I also think Herman knows what it means to be head coach since he's been one before.

All we can do is wait and see if this team and coaching staff will progress thru the season. I think some of our fans were thinking this was going to be a quick fix and we'll be back into the 10+ wins. It's going to come but be realistic we've been a 5-7 team for 3 years in a row. I'm expecting it to be fixed but I don't think it's going to come from practice but actual games that the team learns.

Reactions: westx and swVAHorn
No one should be calling for a coaching change right now. That is just nuts. Go look up Mack Brown's first few years for instance. Go look up his first 3 years at NC and then how he did AFTER that. You are jumping the gun. Now if Herman keeps the team like this and our last game this year is just as bad as the first and then Herman makes some stupid hires to try to fix it then you may have a point. just give the man a chance. We ALL know you did not want him but we were not getting who you wanted. You are starting to sound like you want him to fail to say your were right......when none of us know just yet.

Many of us on here would have loved Meyer but we knew he was NOT coming. So you have to either keep Strong which my head may have actually exploded or take Herman who many schools wanted and LSU had actually had a handshake agreement to hire him. Look at his recruiting right now. I know they are not signed but to even have the #2 class after 3 straight losing seasons is not a joke.

Last edited:
I haven't seen anyone call for a coaching change. It is concerning that after week 1 we seem to have a lot of the exact same issues we had in November last year. It is just one week. I have valid concerns over weather Herman really is the next big thing but he for sure deserves more then 1 week.

I certainly hope Athe money guys don't start trying to lure their next hot name. Give the guy a chance.
Go read some more threads. I ain't doing a search but there are people already talking firing him.

No one should be calling for a coaching change right now. That is just nuts. Go look up Mack Brown's first 4 years for instance. Go look up his first 3 years at NC and then how he did AFTER that. You are jumping the gun. Now if Herman keeps the team like this and our last game this year is just as bad as the first and then Herman makes some stupid hires to try to fix it then you may have a point.

Clob just give the man a chance. We ALL know you did not want him but we were not getting who you wanted. You are starting to sound like you want him to fail to say your were right......when none of us know just yet.

Many of us on here would have loved Meyer but we knew he was NOT coming. So you have to either keep Strong which my head may have actually exploded or take Herman who many schools wanted and LSU had actually handshaked hired him.
No, no, no...please don't take it like that. I want him too succeed. Truly I do. I took zero pleasure in everyone discovering the hard truth about Charlie that I could feel in my bones. Remember, I took A LOT of flack on here as well as in my personal life regarding my opinions on CS. I didn't enjoy being right about him. (Now I will admit some guilty pleasures about our former AD, but that was only because that dude was a top shelf, premium cut, grade A, grass fed a$$hole)
As I stated earlier- if this would have been last year, when that scoreboard said 27-7, these kids would have packed it in. They didn't. And I know you of all people wanted to see the same as I did last year-- a team that if the lost, they never quit.

We saw that this past Saturday. The kids kept pushing. However minor that may seem to some, it's huge in my eyes. It's a sign of improvement. Even if the product on the field wasn't up to expectations, at LEAST they didn't quit trying.

Reactions: tlra2 and swVAHorn
No, no, no...please don't take it like that. I want him too succeed. Truly I do. I took zero pleasure in everyone discovering the hard truth about Charlie that I could feel in my bones. Remember, I took A LOT of flack on here as well as in my personal life regarding my opinions on CS. I didn't enjoy being right about him. (Now I will admit some guilty pleasures about our former AD, but that was only because that dude was a top shelf, premium cut, grade A, grass fed a$$hole)
As I stated earlier- if this would have been last year, when that scoreboard said 27-7, these kids would have packed it in. They didn't. And I know you of all people wanted to see the same as I did last year-- a team that if the lost, they never quit.

We saw that this past Saturday. The kids kept pushing. However minor that may seem to some, it's huge in my eyes. It's a sign of improvement. Even if the product on the field wasn't up to expectations, at LEAST they didn't quit trying.
I just re read your post. MY BAD. Sorry about that.

If you remember I was one of the guys getting torn up on here just like you. I was called a "troll" and worse. lol I will be right with you if we don't see improvement or we don't see that they can EVER fix it. You basically said what I said but in clob's way. lol

You are right.

That's a good take Clob.

I think TH has what it takes also.

I thought that was a really bad press conference on Monday. He said something to the effect that he didn't see one instance where the coaches made a call that wasn't correct. He's going to find out real fast that there are a lot of coaches out there that will hand him his ass on a platter real fast if he doesn't have his team better prepared than he did on Saturday.
What he actually said about what you are talking about is there was no glaring calls that were "unsound" against what Maryland was doing.....he also said they have a folder of when and where to go for it on 4th down and they may have to reevaluate that folder if it keeps backfiring

Clob just give the man a chance. We ALL know you did not want him but we were not getting who you wanted. You are starting to sound like you want him to fail to say your were right......when none of us know just yet.

Many of us on here would have loved Meyer but we knew he was NOT coming. So you have to either keep Strong which my head may have actually exploded or take Herman who many schools wanted and LSU had actually had a handshake agreement to hire him. Look at his recruiting right now. I know they are not signed but to even have the #2 class after 3 straight losing seasons is not a joke.
Mack took over a terrible UNC team and was 1-10 his first two year. The big thing was, he began to turn things around in year 3, going 6-4-1. In the third year, you have to show progress, if you are still the same as the two prior years then clearly you aren't getting it done.

I think herman will be fine when we start to get new players, his players in there. Most but not all of upperclassmen who have been losing for years just simply aren't good.

Reactions: swVAHorn
What he actually said about what you are talking about is there was no glaring calls that were "unsound" against what Maryland was doing.....he also said they have a folder of when and where to go for it on 4th down and they may have to reevaluate that folder if it keeps backfiring

The way I understood what he said about the folder was he made the calls without consulting it. But after he looked back, his calls matched what the folder indicated was the right call. What he or the folder didn't factor in is that going for it around midfield was that Md. was going to have a Freshman Qb, coming in.

Like I said, I "think" he has what it takes, but he is going to have to realize real fast that he doesn't know everything. You get to be a great football coach from experience. He's a little shy in the experience dept.

Mack took over a terrible UNC team and was 1-10 his first two year. The big thing was, he began to turn things around in year 3, going 6-4-1. In the third year, you have to show progress, if you are still the same as the two prior years then clearly you aren't getting it done.

I think herman will be fine when we start to get new players, his players in there. Most but not all of upperclassmen who have been losing for years just simply aren't good.
I agree with you 100%.

Reactions: Pumpedup55
The way I understood what he said about the folder was he made the calls without consulting it. But after he looked back, his calls matched what the folder indicated was the right call. What he or the folder didn't factor in is that going for it around midfield was that Md. was going to have a Freshman Qb, coming in.

Like I said, I "think" he has what it takes, but he is going to have to realize real fast that he doesn't know everything. You get to be a great football coach from experience. He's a little shy in the experience dept.
I was against that call just like you were by the way. I would have punted and made the freshman go the entire length of the field. We will see what kind of coach he is if we keep seeing these kinds of calls backfire over and over. A good coach adapts and fixes these issues. I agree with you...especially on the experience.

Me too,only one game.

I think we're seeing two types of fans or possibly three.

1- The I told ya so.
2- The we're golden Herman will fix our 5-7 team into a 10+ team tomorrow.
3- The patient fan that knows we're going to see ups and downs but we'll be back.

I'd like to see us go 12-1 also but these are the same players that haven't won anything. I say give Herman some room and let him do what he seems capable of. Panic is only going to drive you to bourbon and the crack pipe like Chip.

It's only one game, but we aren't very talented if anyone had any doubts about our talent, it should be obvious now. Apart from our players just not being very good there were some horrible coaching blunders which I thought we were moving away from.

Can't have experience without making mistakes. Experience comes with failing it's not always going to be success.

Couldn't agree more.

The problem I had with him at the press conference was that he seemed unwilling to own up to any mistakes.

Couldn't agree more.

The problem I had with him at the press conference was that he seemed unwilling to own up to any mistakes.
He did say that "we have to coach better"....that is owning up to it. Now if you want him to list every mistake the he and the staff made then I don't believe any coach will do that.

It's only one game, but we aren't very talented if anyone had any doubts about our talent, it should be obvious now. Apart from our players just not being very good there were some horrible coaching blunders which I thought we were moving away from.
I did think we had more talent than we showed Saturday against maryland.....but I am starting to wonder. Our so called talent is not getting it done and they seem to keep doing the same mistakes.

I re-watched the game and I saw blown assignment after blown assignment........I still don't agree with how we attacked on offense or defense. On offense it seemed the line flat out did not know who to block, whiff after whiff it seemed. On defense putting our CB's on an island when maryland is in MAX protect and we can't get ANY pressure I think was a mistake...why not drop back in coverage and MAKE HIM COMPLETE A PASS?

haha just answering the question in the title. I didn't read through any of the comments yet, and now that I am I can see how I may have confused some people. carry on lol
I always like your take on what happened. Was there any calls in that game that stood out to you as really bad or really good?

One of the things that I noticed watching the game, as well as other major programs this week. 1) The elite defenses fly. It's hard to see a mistake to the casual fan when you are going 1000 MPH. Bama and FSU both were consistently all over the field making hard hits. 2) Our DL is not good. Outside of Ford, we don't have any body that would start at Bama, FSU, Michigan, or Florida. 3) At the beginning of the game, our DB's were coming up and making sure tackles. Wrapping arms and driving through the ball carrier, as the game went on, they went back to the arm tackles that haven't worked the past 3 years. Tells me that they are trying to correct problems, but that when fatigue sets in they go back to their old routines.

What makes me wonder is, is that Bama, FSU, LSU, Florida all recruited the same guys that ended up here. Why is that we have not seen any drastic improvements from when they step on campus until now? I find it hard to believe that if Malik had gone to Bama that he would still be having the issues he is having now. He either wouldn't still be at Bama or would be an absolute wrecking ball like virtually all of their LB's.

On a bright note, I was impressed with Reggie Hemphill-Mapps and Lil' Jordan Humphrey. They both made some plays that were spark plug type plays. Also, am I the only one who thinks that Devin Duvernay is a one trick pony? Goes straight real fast, but doesn't do much else?

He did say that "we have to coach better"....that is owning up to it. Now if you want him to list every mistake the he and the staff made then I don't believe any coach will do that.

I think that's something we may agree on.

Losing to an 18.5 dog in your home opener and coaching debut debut probably does call for better coaching. Now if he can figure out the specifics we are probably on the right track.

We were also voted #23 in the nation. Things aren't what they seem sometimes. How someone gives us 18 points after watching our games last year and having a new coaching staff blows my mind. We have work to do.

Reactions: HornsRuleU
I always like your take on what happened. Was there any calls in that game that stood out to you as really bad or really good?
On O:
It looked like our OL wasn't clicking. They definitely missed from protection calls which caused a sack a time or two and made Shane make bad throws or flush the pocket. We weren't getting mush push from the OL in run plays and our RBs were getting arm tackled and not running through contact.

I also saw Shane hold onto the ball way too long. He was either making the wrong reads, couldn't see over the line, or just didn't trust himself. Idk, for the most part the O looked like they just weren't gelling.

On D:
Where do I start? BAD ASSIGNMENT FOOTBALL ALL AROUND. Getting driven off the ball and making bad reads by the DL. LBs looked awful, weren't filling the right gaps and were getting man handled and not able to get off blocks. DBs not clicking, bad communication, bad tackling. Overall the D looked outmatched and definitely didn't play up to their ability.

Coaching:
I liked what I saw later in the game, but I was confused with our offense early on. We never established an identity, couldn't get a run game going, and then we were playing catch up. I don't mind the going for it on fourth down, given the situation having a kicked blocked and missing one earlier I'm fine with that.
Execution as awful on both sides of the ball and ultimately that falls on the coaches. They have got to get these kids ready to play. If they are to dumb to do their job then get their butts off the field and find someone who can do it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT