ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone have opinions about the Big XII non con games this year?

So what you are saying is that OU, like just about everyone else, doesnt win 100% of the time when they are more talented? An astute observation. And as far as coaching goes, I think its clear OU does well in that department.

Sure, you could say the same for OU, except OU isnt returning a grand total of 6 starters. They return 14 starters, a bunch of guys who have been gelling on a 11 win team last year. To me, that's a big advantage in September. Osu has an awesome roster, but they havent played together much, which is why I think getting them in september is huge for OU. I wouldnt get overly confident in any game, but If OU is firing on all cylinders, Houston simply cant hang. Too much talent on Offense and people forget OU had the league's best D last year.

You brought up the too much talent aspect of Zero U's roster. OU has been out coached by some underachievers, that's a fact and I'm saying it's foolish to use the too much talent perspective. Houston is an extremely well coached team. They return 12 starters including the most important, QB.

With Bowling Green and Tulsa on the schedule, tOSU has time to gel. It's pretty uncommon for teams returning less than 7 starters on offense to be very prolific, but Urban Meyer is somebody you never take for granted. Another plus, they return a quality QB.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo.../ohio-state-2016-returning-starters-nfl-draft

• Recruiting softens the blow. Success tends to beget more success, and recruiting is typically the reason why. Ohio State's 16 new starters will largely be four- and five-star recruits, which means a big drop is highly unlikely.

• Meyer's first full recruiting cycle produced Ohio State's 2013 class, which ranked No. 2 in the country behind Alabama. The earliest any of its members could've possibly been drafted was this year. That group still has two more drafts to go before exhausting its pro potential, and it's already produced four first rounders (Joey Bosa, Ezekiel Elliott, Eli Apple, Darron Lee) and a second rounder (Vonn Bell).

Meyer's next three classes at OSU ranked No. 3, No. 7 and No. 4, BTW.

As for OU on D last year, It doesn't do anything for them in 2016, they lost key personnel from that D. Man I love CFB and the attrition that goes with it. In some folks minds, it kills some teams while others think they'll flourish.

Last edited:
You brought up the too much talent aspect of Zero U's roster. OU has been out coached by some underachievers, that's a fact and I'm saying it's foolish to use the too much talent perspective. Houston is an extremely well coached team. They return 12 starters including the most important, QB.

With Bowling Green and Tulsa on the schedule, tOSU has time to gel. It's pretty uncommon for teams returning less than 7 starters on offense to be very prolific, but Urban Meyer is somebody you never take for granted. Another plus, they return a quality QB.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo.../ohio-state-2016-returning-starters-nfl-draft

• Recruiting softens the blow. Success tends to beget more success, and recruiting is typically the reason why. Ohio State's 16 new starters will largely be four- and five-star recruits, which means a big drop is highly unlikely.

• Meyer's first full recruiting cycle produced Ohio State's 2013 class, which ranked No. 2 in the country behind Alabama. The earliest any of its members could've possibly been drafted was this year. That group still has two more drafts to go before exhausting its pro potential, and it's already produced four first rounders (Joey Bosa, Ezekiel Elliott, Eli Apple, Darron Lee) and a second rounder (Vonn Bell).

Meyer's next three classes at OSU ranked No. 3, No. 7 and No. 4, BTW.

As for OU on D last year, It doesn't do anything for them in 2016, they lost key personnel from that D. Man I love CFB and the attrition that goes with it. In some folks minds, it kills some teams while others think they'll flourish.

I'm pretty sure those times which OU was bested by a less talented team, they were not firing on all cylinders. Did i not mention multiple times that this is predicated on OU firing on all cylinders? I know houston is good, they return good talent, they have a good coach and a good qb. Doesnt change my opinion, OU has all that and more, and if they are firing on all cylinders, sorry but not sorry, Houston cant hang. You talk up Houston as if OU doesnt have excellent coaching, return 14 starters, a heisman candidate QB, or an all american/all big 12 type of talent. How about their 77th ranked defense, you think they can hang with a top 10 OU offense who is firing on all cylinders? I'm not being a homer, they just cant hang if OU is playing their A game.

Osu has time to gel against a couple teams who can play offense but not defense. No real challenge for them , they'll win both games convincingly like any good top 5 team should. I am sure by november, osu could be running over the big 10, but in september, against an already battle tested OU team, In Norman, I like OU's chances.If this game was in november, or in Columbus, I wouldnt feel nearly as good about it.

It's not the same exact D, but they return 7 starters, and replacing those losses with good talent in their own right. They redshirted some studs last year who should contribute this year. I love the potential of the defense, I bet they'll be top 2 or so overall D in the conference next season.

The lack of firing on all cylinders is a simpleminded excuse that fans use when they lose.

Execution is crucial and being out coached on the field will knock a team off their game!

Indeed, execution is critical, I agree. At any rate, my original statement remains: If OU is firing on all cylinders, Houston doesnt stand a chance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT