ADVERTISEMENT

Article on UT vs. ATM Keeping Top Players in State

A big deal was made of this in the last recruiting cycle but I think after NSD 2018 the story will be very different. I think Texas alone lands half of the top 20 in state recruits this cycle. With ATM and TCU landing a few of the own most of the best Texas players will stay in state.

Looking at the top 20, I see about 3 that I think go OOS. Crawford to OU, Muhammed to Michigan and Cook very well could end up at tOSU. A few more might but I think most stay.

My guess is that if only 3 of 2018's top 20 in Texas go OOS, that would be a great year.

I'd add Bobby (Tre) Brown and Darrell Simpson to that list as well. But still, I think the trend that seemed so worrisome last year will not be seen this year.

Trends go up, they go down. All normal.

It's when you see the same extreme, year after year after year, that you should be concerned. Like every year breaking the record that was just set last year. You know what I'm talking about. That's what we ought to be concerned about.

It's pretty obvious Sumlin is trying anything he can to slow the Horns recruiting momentum over the last 6 weeks (and his AD's comments on his job security). It will be interesting to see if A&M has much left in the chamber and what kind of season they have.

Long term, when Texas is on the up they not only control the state but they also act as a shield to in state and Big 12 programs by keeping the poachers at bay. The OSUs/FSUs/USCs/Alabamas of the world have less pull in the state when UT is strong and more recruits stay in state and/or Big 12.

ADVERTISEMENT