ADVERTISEMENT

At the buzzer: Just how good is Tre Johnson? Projecting the starting 5, oh…and I got married!

WesMillerOB

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2015
First of all, I owe all of you an apology. Outside of my responsibilities here at Orangebloods, I’ve been planning my own wedding with my wife and it has been an absolute shit show…

The funny thing is, I’m actually already married. My wife and I tied the knot at the San Antonio court house in the middle of the pandemic as she was furloughed by her employer, and we needed to get her insured. We were already engaged so the decision was easy.

We had saved roughly 35k for a wedding, but we decided that the money would be better spent investing into a home of our own. It’s been an exciting 7 months of planning as we decided to go off the beaten path a little bit in terms of what a traditional wedding would look like. My wife had the idea of getting an AirBnB on Galveston Beach (BEFORE YOU FREAK OUT JUST WAIT! I know a lot of you probably don’t like Galveston). Well last Wednesday, a tropical storm flooded some of the beaches including the carport and surrounding area of the AirBnB we got that was going to sleep almost 20 of our friends…INCLUDING some of the properties that our other friends and families got no less than a mile of us.

Long story short, things were a shit show, but ended up ok considering the circumstances and I am one lucky man. Now that this fiasco is over with I’m officially back in the saddle so let’s start getting content out to folks just like yourselves.

ANYWAYS…

c0d33792-023b-4b2d-b1ee-233c8855eeed-lakehighland_v_newton_CoP_0001.jpg

After I got home from Galveston, I sat my hungover ass on the couch and watched about 3 hours of full game-film, highlights, and anything I could get my hands on. I did some online research around Tre Johnson’s physical profile, taking into account what every major media source has him listed at, and there are a few takeaways that I have, to help align expectations for everyone with my very objective opinion.

Let’s start with this.

Tre Johnson is a really, really good looking soon-to-be freshmen. He has prototypical size for what NBA teams are looking for at the shooting guard position, standing at 6’6 and weighing 190lbs (This is what he’s listed at but he looks more like 175-180lbs to me).

In watching some of his film, a few things standout right away.

He’s an elite shot creator. He uses his body extremely well, gets into the chest of his defender, and uses his length to create space. His footwork is elite. He has a really good handle, can use either hand, and is excellent at finishing at the rim over taller defenders. I think his most underrated trait however, is how good he is as a passer. I think where he can improve most, are his shooting mechanics. He has a little bit of a push/launch set point at the top of his release which can get cleaned up in time. He’s still more than consistent beyond the arc. He’s going to be an instant contributor, and provides yet another size element to a Texas team that was in my mind, very undersized. Couple Tre Johnson with the likes of Tramon Mark, Jayson Kent, Kaden Shedrick etc, you’re looking at a pretty big line up.

Here are his highlights from the McDonald’s All American Game.

Enjoy:

==================================

After the commitment of Arthur Kaluma yesterday, I’m going to give you a projection for what the new starting 5 for the Longhorns is going to be moving forward.

1. Jordan Pope

2. Tre Johnson

3. Tramon Mark

4. Arthur Kaluma

5. Kadin Shedrick

Guys…I can only say this so many times. Even prior to Arthur Kaluma committing, the roster was already going to be really good.

Well, adding Kaluma definitely raises the ceiling, and this team has gotten even better. This is a player that I don't think will come off the floor very much for the Longhorns. When Shedrick comes out of games, I believe that Texas will then go to more of a small-ball line up, working Kent into the rotation etc. I'm not too sure how else this plays out unless they force Jamie Vinson to play, which he can but he definitely needs some development.

Down the stretch last season, the Longhorns were getting a major contribution from their bench. Shedrick, Cunningham, and Weaver were the three headed monster that often kept the Horns not only in games, but WON several games as well. It looks like the new three that are going to making the biggest impact coming off the bench are going to be Chendall Weaver, Jayson Kent, and Julian Larry.

That’s a salty group, and with a bench like that coaches can feel a bit reassured on the back end of these different line-ups to consider because they know how deep their bench can truly go.

Rodney Terry reloaded in a big way, and I hope you all are as excited as I am about this upcoming season, because this team is prime and ready to go compete for an SEC Championship, right away. I fully expect them to be there at the end of the regular season, and I believe we could have a Sweet 16/Elite 8 team on our hands.

SEC Preview coming up next! Stay tuned...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News