ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten gets MASSIVE television deal

BringBackRoyal

Jan 3, 2004
The Big Ten is about the get $250 million per year for half of its inventory, with bidding still open on the other half. Under its current deal, which expires after 2016-17, the Big Ten gets just $112 million for all of its first-tier media rights.

We're about to see very clearly why we have to get the hell out of this podunk conference that the myopic track coach trapped us in. The disparity in revenue distribution is going to widen tremendously in the coming years.

http://www.barkingcarnival.com/2016...d-em-and-the-big-12-doesn-t-have-enough-chips

Reactions: CaptainZigZag
Actually, that's for 1/3 of the inventory. They get that contract, the other contract for the remaining inventory, and the BTN on top of that.

Just one old guy's .02 but the Big 12 needs to add 4 - 6 teams pronto. Drop Bevo Network and go with a Big 12 Network. Cincy, Memphis, USF (Tampa) and UCF (Orlando) additions would make a new Big 12 TV package "pop."

and, Go Cats !! and, Hook 'em for the Wife !!

Just one old guy's .02 but the Big 12 needs to add 4 - 6 teams pronto. Drop Bevo Network and go with a Big 12 Network. Cincy, Memphis, USF (Tampa) and UCF (Orlando) additions would make a new Big 12 TV package "pop."

You seriously think those schools would put us in the same league as the Big 10? You've got to pull yourself together, this is a sinking ship and the only thing to do is bail out. That is the new standard the SEC will follow and probably get more. The smart thing is for Texas to go independent in football and keep the rest of our sports in the Big 12. If they don't want them, well we could move them to another conference.

I knew this would happen, every time one conference gets a big contract the next round other conferences will get even more. I just didn't think it would be that much.

You seriously think those schools would put us in the same league as the Big 10? You've got to pull yourself together, this is a sinking ship and the only thing to do is bail out. That is the new standard the SEC will follow and probably get more. The smart thing is for Texas to go independent in football and keep the rest of our sports in the Big 12. If they don't want them, well we could move them to another conference.

I knew this would happen, every time one conference gets a big contract the next round other conferences will get even more. I just didn't think it would be that much.

Assuming you could navigate the GOR, there wouldn't be a big 12 to keep other sports in.

Strongly disagree. Those schools have tiny fan bases. They'd be welfare cases in the Big 12; current schools see their revenue shares shrink if we took them on.

There are no realistic attractive expansion options for this conference.

No, those schools are simply the best available TV markets. If Texas needs the money (it doesn't) I suspect you better get on the horn to either the SEC, B1G, or PAC. Only Notre Dame can make it as an independent. Eye balls follow Notre Dame -- Texas would die on the vine if it depended on national TV viewership.

No, those schools are simply the best available TV markets. If Texas needs the money (it doesn't) I suspect you better get on the horn to either the SEC, B1G, or PAC. Only Notre Dame can make it as an independent. Eye balls follow Notre Dame -- Texas would die on the vine if it depended on national TV viewership.

Texas would do just fine as an independent. Texas is already in bed with ESPN/ABC, they would love to own all the Texas games.

Go sign up Florida State, Miami, Virginia Tech and Clemson, and use the new massive TV contract to pay the ACC buyout fee. But that would take forward thinking, hard work and balls, and our commissioner spends his time coming up with "one true champion" slogans.

I saw this take on it... http://www.burntorangenation.com/2016/4/21/11481642/big-12-conference-media-rights-loser-big-10

... but after reading it found myself wondering... did they basically just say, "HOLY CRAP!! WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING!! ... well... except that most of the conference-wide solutions can't really be done until 2024-2025 anyway... so if Texas dumps the LHN, then they're just in the same crappy situation that the rest of the conference is in until then because a 3rd tier rights contract/network really isn't going to fix things? I mean, is that a bit self-centered for Texas to say... ok, so the Big 12 network could be a small-level improvement to most conference schools, but it'd put us in a worse situation than we'd be in, so why do it? Yeah, probably. But if the top parts of the conference contracts are going to be a problem now, the conference itself seems like it's going to be a problem no matter what we do. Should we look for short term patches? Or hold out and take a longer term solution

Maybe I completely misread that though.

Still, unless the Big 12 does something that warrants renegotiating our first and second tier contracts (which would require something probably like what was mentioned above... raiding some of the big boys from the ACC), I don't think adding a few small brands will fix the situation, regardless of what markets they try to claim. My initial knee-jerk reaction to this situation, paired with the longer more drawn out, more informed reaction I have to the longer, more drawn out game of realignment... makes me think that the answer is still going to be, sit tight (aside from maybe some small measures here or there) until either 2024-2025 and/or events that lead to the GOR dissolving (still curious how many conference members would have to be ready to leave for that to come up), and then... I mean... Pac 12 (if they fix their conference network situation)? Big 10? Something like that.

Go sign up Florida State, Miami, Virginia Tech and Clemson, and use the new massive TV contract to pay the ACC buyout fee. But that would take forward thinking, hard work and balls, and our commissioner spends his time coming up with "one true champion" slogans.

Back when the ACC looked ready to break, that would have been perfect. I'd have gone, honestly, for Miami first. They were scared they wouldn't have a landing place. Then make a grand gesture towards FSU and Clemson... and I think Georgia Tech... by pointing out that, with the ACC broken, Notre Dame will need a landing spot. And neither the Big 12 or the Big 10 would be in a situation where they'd have to accept Notre Dame's partial membership deals. The Big 12, if you add someone a little further northeast (that Notre Dame could, quite frankly, choose themselves if they wanted... I don't care... Louisville for proximity to South Bend? Pitt or Navy for traditional rivalries? Virginia Tech for a strong program with good history?) and suddenly the Big 12, being a more nation-wide conference than the Big 10, has more appeal. The first 16 member conference, containing teams from Texas, the plains, the Midwest, the northeast and the southeast...? That could have been huge.

But.

Now, unless the SEC, Big 12, and Big 10 all gang up on the ACC to tear it apart (and the Big 12 looks less and less like a competitive force when it comes to that)... I don't know that the Big 12 is going to survive in the long run.

Texas would do just fine as an independent. Texas is already in bed with ESPN/ABC, they would love to own all the Texas games.

I just look at Notre Dame and their non-football sports and think... then what? The Big 12 will not be a power conference if Texas (and as a result, Oklahoma and another team or two) leave so that's not really an attractive option, not to mention I'd imagine there'd be some bad blood if Texas went independent at a time when the conference was crumbling anyway. The SEC would have no interest in just non-football sports, nor would the Big 10. Some of the worst aspects of joining either the ACC or Pac 12 as full members would be dealing with travel for the non-football sports, so if you join them WITHOUT football, that makes it even worse. And if Notre Dame couldn't manage having basketball, baseball, etc, as independents... and didn't want to park them in a small, regional conference like the MAC or something... why would Texas?

I just look at Notre Dame and their non-football sports and think... then what? The Big 12 will not be a power conference if Texas (and as a result, Oklahoma and another team or two) leave so that's not really an attractive option, not to mention I'd imagine there'd be some bad blood if Texas went independent at a time when the conference was crumbling anyway. The SEC would have no interest in just non-football sports, nor would the Big 10. Some of the worst aspects of joining either the ACC or Pac 12 as full members would be dealing with travel for the non-football sports, so if you join them WITHOUT football, that makes it even worse. And if Notre Dame couldn't manage having basketball, baseball, etc, as independents... and didn't want to park them in a small, regional conference like the MAC or something... why would Texas?

Agreed. There are a number of problems with Texas trying to make it as an independent. Not interested in that route at all.

Back when the ACC looked ready to break, that would have been perfect. I'd have gone, honestly, for Miami first. They were scared they wouldn't have a landing place. Then make a grand gesture towards FSU and Clemson... and I think Georgia Tech... by pointing out that, with the ACC broken, Notre Dame will need a landing spot. And neither the Big 12 or the Big 10 would be in a situation where they'd have to accept Notre Dame's partial membership deals. The Big 12, if you add someone a little further northeast (that Notre Dame could, quite frankly, choose themselves if they wanted... I don't care... Louisville for proximity to South Bend? Pitt or Navy for traditional rivalries? Virginia Tech for a strong program with good history?) and suddenly the Big 12, being a more nation-wide conference than the Big 10, has more appeal. The first 16 member conference, containing teams from Texas, the plains, the Midwest, the northeast and the southeast...? That could have been huge.

But.

Now, unless the SEC, Big 12, and Big 10 all gang up on the ACC to tear it apart (and the Big 12 looks less and less like a competitive force when it comes to that)... I don't know that the Big 12 is going to survive in the long run.

Going down the rabbit hole here, you really wouldn't be able to simply tack on a few schools to the Big 12. This would only work if all the big schools from both leagues left to form a new conference. The problem for the Big 12 has been the small media footprint. Even if you added schools like Florida St or Georgia Tech, that still wouldn't get at the ultimate problem. The only thing that would work is to trim the fat from both conferences, meaning only the "big boys" from each league are added. That would mean teams like Iowa St or Texas Tech are cut loose, just like teams such as Wake Forest or NC State.

Going down the rabbit hole here, you really wouldn't be able to simply tack on a few schools to the Big 12. This would only work if all the big schools from both leagues left to form a new conference. The problem for the Big 12 has been the small media footprint. Even if you added schools like Florida St or Georgia Tech, that still wouldn't get at the ultimate problem. The only thing that would work is to trim the fat from both conferences, meaning only the "big boys" from each league are added. That would mean teams like Iowa St or Texas Tech are cut loose, just like teams such as Wake Forest or NC State.

That's bull. Mississippi and Arkansas don't significantly add to the SEC a "big footprint" conference either. Same with having so many states with two schools in them. But in all of the SEC expansions, the plan didn't involve "trimming the fat" so that you kick out Mississippi State, one of the Tennessee schools, Auburn... and I mean, you actually EXPANDED to add Arkansas.

If you only assumed that the expansion to the teams that I mentioned would include their own state populations as part of the "footprint"... the Big 12 would end up at around 93.0 million. Now, granted, yeah, that includes 2 more schools than the SEC currently has (with a population of around 94.2 million), but keep in mind that, with their 14 members, the Big 10 currently is around 85.0 million. So they'd have to be pretty choosy about schools #15 and #16 to get past that. And that doesn't delve into the fact that several of the Big 12 and Big 12 expansion schools (in this example) have a lot more going for them than just the population of the states they're in. If expansion went the way I suggested, the Big 12 would be right in contention with everyone else... a little bigger than some conferences, a little smaller than others. And that's just realistic. You don't see the Big 10, the SEC, or the Pac 12 going... hey, you know what we should do? We should ditch... Mississippi State... Arkansas... Auburn... Vanderbilt... Iowa... Minnesota... Michigan State... Illinois... Washington State... Oregon State... Arizona... Stanford... USC... Utah...

And clearly it's all hypothetical at this point. Sure. There are other ways expansion could go. Truthfully, at this point, Texas and Oklahoma (and maybe others, maybe not) heading somewhere else seems way more likely than any of this, but back at the point when the Big 12 and the ACC both looked vulnerable, there was a point where it looked like one might be able to pull teams away from the other. And the Big 12 had way more confidence in it's football (aka, money) product. And several of the schools that I listed were well on record as not being satisfied with the current football situation with the ACC. And dissolving 2 conferences and forming a whole new one was FAR FAR FAR less likely to happen and would have taken FAR FAR FAR more steps and coordination than expanding one conference. The other just wasn't at all realistic.

Plus, if you do the "only big boys from each league" and then find your way to 14 or 16 members? Holy crap. Let's say you did that. 1 team per state with maybe 2 or 3 exceptions. Biggest teams and biggest state populations. I mean... on the high end you could end up with a state-based footprint of 142.0 million. Just completely blow everyone else out of the water. Border on DOUBLING the Big 10 footprint. With just 14 teams. Or, you know, just swap out West Virginia from my original 16 member plan with... I won't even do the whole "does Syracuse count for New York's population?" thing and say we went after an NC school instead and you end up with a 101.0 million population. Without even ditching Iowa State, Texas Tech, Baylor, or Kansas State!

Your statement doesn't take into reality what the expansion I referred to would add (both by population, and by the brand power of the schools being added), goes even further to suggest that 2 conferences just spontaneously agreeing to team up to screw over half their members would make any sense whatsoever, AND doesn't acknowledge that if your plan DID work and only the elite schools in states with big populations (and minimal situations where there were 2 schools from the same state)... the "footprint" wouldn't just become competitive, it'd be pretty easy to blow everyone else out of the water.

Reactions: diadevic
Fox was basically bidding against themselves. ESPN put forward a hohum offer because they are looking to cut cost. Everyone but the B1G is locked up until the mid 2020s and this was the only way for Fox to add some desperately needed inventory to FS1 and FS2. Guess whats going to happen they are going to raise subscriber fees which will elevate cable bills which will further accelerate cord cutting.

That's bull. Mississippi and Arkansas don't significantly add to the SEC a "big footprint" conference either. Same with having so many states with two schools in them. But in all of the SEC expansions, the plan didn't involve "trimming the fat" so that you kick out Mississippi State, one of the Tennessee schools, Auburn... and I mean, you actually EXPANDED to add Arkansas.

If you only assumed that the expansion to the teams that I mentioned would include their own state populations as part of the "footprint"... the Big 12 would end up at around 93.0 million. Now, granted, yeah, that includes 2 more schools than the SEC currently has (with a population of around 94.2 million), but keep in mind that, with their 14 members, the Big 10 currently is around 85.0 million. So they'd have to be pretty choosy about schools #15 and #16 to get past that. And that doesn't delve into the fact that several of the Big 12 and Big 12 expansion schools (in this example) have a lot more going for them than just the population of the states they're in. If expansion went the way I suggested, the Big 12 would be right in contention with everyone else... a little bigger than some conferences, a little smaller than others. And that's just realistic. You don't see the Big 10, the SEC, or the Pac 12 going... hey, you know what we should do? We should ditch... Mississippi State... Arkansas... Auburn... Vanderbilt... Iowa... Minnesota... Michigan State... Illinois... Washington State... Oregon State... Arizona... Stanford... USC... Utah...

And clearly it's all hypothetical at this point. Sure. There are other ways expansion could go. Truthfully, at this point, Texas and Oklahoma (and maybe others, maybe not) heading somewhere else seems way more likely than any of this, but back at the point when the Big 12 and the ACC both looked vulnerable, there was a point where it looked like one might be able to pull teams away from the other. And the Big 12 had way more confidence in it's football (aka, money) product. And several of the schools that I listed were well on record as not being satisfied with the current football situation with the ACC. And dissolving 2 conferences and forming a whole new one was FAR FAR FAR less likely to happen and would have taken FAR FAR FAR more steps and coordination than expanding one conference. The other just wasn't at all realistic.

Plus, if you do the "only big boys from each league" and then find your way to 14 or 16 members? Holy crap. Let's say you did that. 1 team per state with maybe 2 or 3 exceptions. Biggest teams and biggest state populations. I mean... on the high end you could end up with a state-based footprint of 142.0 million. Just completely blow everyone else out of the water. Border on DOUBLING the Big 10 footprint. With just 14 teams. Or, you know, just swap out West Virginia from my original 16 member plan with... I won't even do the whole "does Syracuse count for New York's population?" thing and say we went after an NC school instead and you end up with a 101.0 million population. Without even ditching Iowa State, Texas Tech, Baylor, or Kansas State!

Your statement doesn't take into reality what the expansion I referred to would add (both by population, and by the brand power of the schools being added), goes even further to suggest that 2 conferences just spontaneously agreeing to team up to screw over half their members would make any sense whatsoever, AND doesn't acknowledge that if your plan DID work and only the elite schools in states with big populations (and minimal situations where there were 2 schools from the same state)... the "footprint" wouldn't just become competitive, it'd be pretty easy to blow everyone else out of the water.

It's not bull. First off, you can’t use expansion back in 1990 (i.e. Arkansas) in the argument, because back then, the conferences didn't have their own TV contracts. There was a completely different set of circumstances for expansion back then. The other thing is, the SEC and Big 10 don't have the issues with some of their “dead weight” as the other leagues. For example, Illinois has mostly been a bottom feeder over the years. However, they bring in a big state market. Conversely, a team like Arkansas doesn’t have a big market, but historically they have had a good program (meaning they are a better draw). The problem with some of the teams I named is that they have pretty much been average historically (Texas Tech, NC State) or bad (Iowa St, Wake Forest), and none of them contribute to the media market.

You also have to take into account the clauses in the Big 12’s TV contract that restrict how much they can get from expansion. That’s another reason you can’t just tack on a couple of extra teams and make on the difference in money. Then, there is the GOR. It’s simply not realistic for a couple of schools to be able to break the GOR. About the only realistic way to do that would be for a bunch of schools to leave en masse.

If you want to be perfectly honest about it, none of this is realistic. You aren’t going to see teams leaving either conference for the other. It simply won’t happen. However, if we are just playing with the idea, the only way to do it is to take the best schools from each league (“best” sometimes meaning market) and reconstruct a new league that doesn’t have the encumbrances of the former leagues.

Can Horns bring the LHN to another conference?

It's not bull. First off, you can’t use expansion back in 1990 (i.e. Arkansas) in the argument, because back then, the conferences didn't have their own TV contracts. There was a completely different set of circumstances for expansion back then. The other thing is, the SEC and Big 10 don't have the issues with some of their “dead weight” as the other leagues. For example, Illinois has mostly been a bottom feeder over the years. However, they bring in a big state market. Conversely, a team like Arkansas doesn’t have a big market, but historically they have had a good program (meaning they are a better draw). The problem with some of the teams I named is that they have pretty much been average historically (Texas Tech, NC State) or bad (Iowa St, Wake Forest), and none of them contribute to the media market.

You also have to take into account the clauses in the Big 12’s TV contract that restrict how much they can get from expansion. That’s another reason you can’t just tack on a couple of extra teams and make on the difference in money. Then, there is the GOR. It’s simply not realistic for a couple of schools to be able to break the GOR. About the only realistic way to do that would be for a bunch of schools to leave en masse.

If you want to be perfectly honest about it, none of this is realistic. You aren’t going to see teams leaving either conference for the other. It simply won’t happen. However, if we are just playing with the idea, the only way to do it is to take the best schools from each league (“best” sometimes meaning market) and reconstruct a new league that doesn’t have the encumbrances of the former leagues.

My point with Arkansas and Illinois was... yeah, you added them at different times, but so did the Big 12. You're saying, oh, right, drop the dead weight. If that were the ONLY reasonable model for expansion, the Big 10 and SEC would have done it too. And yeah, Illinois is a big state. But they have 2 meh teams from the state. They'd be fine with one or the other. Mississippi and Arkansas aren't big states and one has historically sucked, so having 2 teams from that state, by your logic, makes NO sense. Arkansas was historically good, so I guess it's nice to be able to say you have their historical championships and their non-football sports, but come on. Based on that logic, we might as well add Army, who has 15 times as many football championships AND is from a bigger, more populous state! Or Princeton.... who has 26 times as many and is a much more well known school.... and again, more populous state.

For two, you completely dismiss this as all unrealistic, but I wasn't saying NOW. NOW I stated, rather clearly, that UT should sit it out... with the LHN as a buffer if things are getting worse for the Big 12... until either A) the TV contracts and GOR are over in 2024-2025 or B) enough teams in the conference get sick of the conference situation enough that there are enough institutions that don't want to keep the GOR binding. I truthfully don't know how many that would be, but a lot of conferences' big decisions require about 3/4 vote, so I'd imagine that if around 7 or 8 teams in the conference were done with it all, they could undo the GOR and move on (which may not be likely, but who knows). Texas moving to another conference, at that point, seems like what is most likely to happen... possibly with OU, but who knows... it would depend on if the relationship between the schools gets strained during the in-between period. THAT is what I think is realistic NOW.

If you read what I was talking about, I was referring to the point back when the Big 12 was still figuring out their TV deals and the GOR, and the ACC was looking pretty flimsy, with the Big 10 looking strongly at UVA, UNC, and/or GA Tech.... when FSU and Clemson were pretty unhappy with their basketball conference... before the deal had been made with Notre Dame. At that point? Yeah, lots of teams where either jumping from one conference to another (I mean... Maryland left the freakin ACC! That's just weird...) or strongly considering it, and the ACC looked REALLY vulnerable. Like I said, Miami seemed like the weak link too. FSU and Clemson wanted the ACC to change or they might have left. Miami, given their issues off the field and their lower profile on the field, was worried that they'd be left out. So yeah, at that point, the Big 12 should have done whatever they could, either alone or in conjunction with the SEC and Big 10 (since there are enough attractive schools in the ACC to go around if those three conferences were going to stop at 16 at the highest). The powers that be (maybe with the support of DeLoss Dodds) didn't do that then, and I still think that was the death knell of the conference... just slow motion (and one of the few things that I'm really critical of Dodds about if he actually was involved in that decision, and the decision not to work something out with the Pac 12).

See? If you actually respond to what I said and not what you wanted to tell me I was wrong about, it makes more sense.

For now, though, I think Texas is in a not-ideal-but-they'll-be-fine situation, in a Big 12 with no ideal expansion options... but that is actually a pretty good conference on-the-field, if it weren't for the small footprint. Teams from the conference will do fine in the playoff model for now. The LHN won't be popular with the rest of the conference because it doesn't help them, and it prevents a conference network from really making sense, but given the fact that we sat on our hands when there WERE reasonable expansion options (when the ACC was vulnerable, not now), ditching the LHN and starting a conference network would be basically a demotion for Texas as far as money and staying competitive... and the conf network would likely only be a temporary patch for the conference, that would help a little but not do enough to keep it as financially competitive as we'd like. So, we can either "lose" to help the conference "not win", but not "lose" as quickly. Or we can stay where we are, doing pretty well until the time comes when the conference schools will have to decide whether they're staying or going and have a plan ready for when that comes up.

But yeah, I never said that right now FSU and Clemson would join. And if you really think that, if it HAD happened, that adding Miami, FSU, GA Tech, Clemson, Notre Dame and... Pitt, VA Tech, or Louisville... to the current Big 12 would just not have made them competitive because of Iowa State and Texas Tech... like I said, Illinois/Northwestern... Mississippi State/Mississippi... all conferences have teams that you would be referring to as "dead weight". That doesn't mean that they're likely to shed them because somehow that's the only thing that makes sense.

SEC is set with their media rights until 2034
Fox half of the B1G deal is 23-24
Big 12 ESPN and Fox 24-25
ND 2025 with NBC
ACC deal with ESPN 26-27

Don't expect to see any movement for 7-8 years

"There are no realistic attractive expansion options for this conference."
^^100% concur with this!!
So tell your fat queen of a president to STFU about it already.

Last edited:
I'm in favor of Texas Independence.
I think the best solution is for Texas to cut ties with OU. They've been cheating since they stole the land up there and made a state. Texas has residents that moved here from everywhere. They are all Texans now. They could call their relatives and friends to watch you on tv.
Made in the shade anything Texas does is gold. UT is way to smart to paint the conference into a corner. They are to selfish to not already have a plan.

And Notre Dame, USC, Ohio State, Denver Broncos & Green Bay Packers. Chances are about the same of happening.

"There are no realistic attractive expansion options for this conference."

So tell your fat queen of a president to STFU about it already.
Why would I?? He is entitled to his opinion about this, and I simply don't agree with it. Who knows, maybe inviting dumpy programs into the conference can elevate it in the end, but I just feel the odds are against it. The options for expansion out there are just awful and I don't think does anything for the future of the Big XII.

Well good for you for thinking. His (and most of your bain addled fanbase's) stance is to add mid major teams simply to get to 12 who add nothing in terms of tv footprint and split the pie up into smaller pieces.

The Big Ten is about the get $250 million per year for half of its inventory, with bidding still open on the other half. Under its current deal, which expires after 2016-17, the Big Ten gets just $112 million for all of its first-tier media rights.

We're about to see very clearly why we have to get the hell out of this podunk conference that the myopic track coach trapped us in. The disparity in revenue distribution is going to widen tremendously in the coming years.

http://www.barkingcarnival.com/2016...d-em-and-the-big-12-doesn-t-have-enough-chips

150811165239-trump-shrug-gif-custom-1.gif

We need to just win!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT