ADVERTISEMENT

Bru McCoy

It appears Tom and the wrs coach and Sam all boarded a private jet and flew out to LA to convince Bru to come back. That's a bit much.

Bru gone, coaches failed.

I think the kid has mental issues, meaning he has a serious bout of depression. It was reported he shut himself off from everyone for the last two weeks. That is not normal, not even for being home sick.

Bru gone, coaches failed.

I think the kid has mental issues, meaning he has a serious bout of depression. It was reported he shut himself off from everyone for the last two weeks. That is not normal, not even for being home sick.

How did the coaches fail if Bru is homesick and suffers from depression? There is nothing that the coaches can do about that.

How did the coaches fail if Bru is homesick and suffers from depression? There is nothing that the coaches can do about that.

Well i mean you cant fail unless you try, and they sure did try. I'm sure before he left they were trying too. I'm just wondering if the being homesick thing is just a front or a nice way to say he didnt want to be there for whatever reason. Who knows, but hey it's the offseason and this is as much football as there is to discuss

Bru's got to do what's best for him and what ultimately makes him happy. Good luck to him in the future.

Reactions: westx
Well i mean you cant fail unless you try, and they sure did try. I'm sure before he left they were trying too. I'm just wondering if the being homesick thing is just a front or a nice way to say he didnt want to be there for whatever reason. Who knows, but hey it's the offseason and this is as much football as there is to discuss

No, the coaches would have failed if they didn't try. They did their best to try to convince Bru to stay in Austin, but his heart is in California. There is nothing more that the Texas coaches could have done.

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
No, the coaches would have failed if they didn't try. They did their best to try to convince Bru to stay in Austin, but his heart is in California. There is nothing more that the Texas coaches could have done.

So the only failure is in not trying? So what do you call trying really hard, and not achieving your goal? Nothing wrong with saying they failed in their mission, but that perhaps it wasnt their fault. But lack of success is generally called failure.

So the only failure is in not trying? So what do you call trying really hard, and not achieving your goal? Nothing wrong with saying they failed in their mission, but that perhaps it wasnt their fault. But lack of success is generally called failure.

What I'm saying is that IMO the coaches didn't fail with Bru McCoy. It's not their fault that Bru wants to return to California. They did their part to make things as good for him as they could while he was here. Ultimately Bru decided that it was in his best interests to go back to USC and there is nothing that the coaches could have done to change his mind.

What I'm saying is that IMO the coaches didn't fail with Bru McCoy. It's not their fault that Bru wants to return to California. They did their part to make things as good for him as they could while he was here. Ultimately Bru decided that it was in his best interests to go back to USC and there is nothing that the coaches could have done to change his mind.

Now we are just arguing semantics, the coaches flew to Cali to convince him to stay at Texas, they didn't convince him so end of story, failure. Lets move on.

Sure, I can roll with that. On the flip side, when they were talking to him and got him to leave his current school for texas, they had no sense that this could happen again? Did they do their due diligence here before bringing him in or were they just really excited that he wanted to bounce out of LA and jumped at the opportunity? At any rate if there was nothing they could do to change his mind, not sure why they spent the time and resources to go out there to re-recruit a lost cause. Is it possible they thought they had a chance, took it, and were not exactly successful?

"Not sure why you bring Mixon up?"

Bell you guys brought up "Drama" is Mixons antics not Drama? I know its Oklahoma but putting blinders aside.....its still considered "Drama".....but I could be wrong Asuram2010 doesn't think its drama either
Drama? Yes. Fit the current conversation? Absolutely not.

Reactions: Belldozer1
Also, did any of you see the tweet by Caden Sterns?
It doesn't appear that the current Longhorns are all that fired about about the goings on with Bru.

Wow, I bet these guys are going to be nails next season. He's talking Dogs and Cats.... Bru must have been a Cat. After witnessing the violence in the Sugar Bowl, I am excited to see them in the Fall.

Sure, I can roll with that. On the flip side, when they were talking to him and got him to leave his current school for texas, they had no sense that this could happen again? Did they do their due diligence here before bringing him in or were they just really excited that he wanted to bounce out of LA and jumped at the opportunity? At any rate if there was nothing they could do to change his mind, not sure why they spent the time and resources to go out there to re-recruit a lost cause. Is it possible they thought they had a chance, took it, and were not exactly successful?

Quit Fing with MM Heisey!

Reactions: Heisennberg
What are everyone’s thoughts on Graham Harrell as a coach? He apparently spent some time with Leach at WSU, Mean Green coach....Could it be that he likes the Leach/Kingsbury/Harrell offense connection plus the convenience of being close to home? Could it be that offense fits him better?

What are everyone’s thoughts on Graham Harrell as a coach? He apparently spent some time with Leach at WSU, Mean Green coach....Could it be that he likes the Leach/Kingsbury/Harrell offense connection plus the convenience of being close to home? Could it be that offense fits him better?

Leach musta seen something in him to hire him...

Pretty good discussion on this topic fellas . . . I'll add my 2 cents.

The story I'm about to relate came directly from my father. He told me this story about 20 years ago and I have no idea if it has anything to do with Bru or not . . . but it's interesting. Now my father was very connected, back in the day, to high school sports in Texas. Most of the college coaches knew him and pretty much all the major high school coaches knew him.

Dad was one of the Principals at Midland Lee and if you wanted to recruit one of his kids . . . there's a good chance you called my father 1st before stepping foot on campus. Well, being buddies with all those coaches comes with perks. Like playing lots of golf on Saturdays which dad loved to do.

Anyway, according to dad there were a couple of Pac coaches in town recruiting a Midland Lee guy. Hell, it might have been Ced but I don't really remember. So there they were, Dad, the Midland Lee head coach and 2 Pac coaches and they were playing golf . . . and dad asked one of the Pac coaches why they didn't recruit more Texas kids.

I'm paraphrasing here but 1 of the Pac coach basically said . . . "The culture of black kids in California is very different than the culture of black kids in the south. The 2 cultures don't mix well. You have to make a decision . . . are you going to have a California team or a Texas/Alabama/Georgia team. You can't have half and half, it doesn't work. They simply don't get along with each other. You can have a couple of southern kids on a Pac team but that's about it."

So take that with a grain of salt but that's what a couple of Pac coaches thought 20 years ago. Has that changed? I have no idea.

The story I'm about to relate came directly from my father. He told me this story about 20 years ago and I have no idea if it has anything to do with Bru or not . . . but it's interesting. Now my father was very connected, back in the day, to high school sports in Texas. Most of the college coaches knew him and pretty much all the major high school coaches knew him.

Dad was one of the Principals at Midland Lee and if you wanted to recruit one of his kids . . . there's a good chance you called my father 1st before stepping foot on campus. Well, being buddies with all those coaches comes with perks. Like playing lots of golf on Saturdays which dad loved to do.

Anyway, according to dad there were a couple of Pac coaches in town recruiting a Midland Lee guy. Hell, it might have been Ced but I don't really remember. So there they were, Dad, the Midland Lee head coach and 2 Pac coaches and they were playing golf . . . and dad asked one of the Pac coaches why they didn't recruit more Texas kids.

I'm paraphrasing here but 1 of the Pac coach basically said . . . "The culture of black kids in California is very different than the culture of black kids in the south. The 2 cultures don't mix well. You have to make a decision . . . are you going to have a California team or a Texas/Alabama/Georgia team. You can't have half and half, it doesn't work. They simply don't get along with each other. You can have a couple of southern kids on a Pac team but that's about it."

So take that with a grain of salt but that's what a couple of Pac coaches thought 20 years ago. Has that changed? I have no idea.

Must be a surfer/cowboy thing.;)

Well sure i can see how that may have been a thing 20 years ago and to some extent now. But the big boys are national recruiters. You got guys from florida, california, texas and georgia playing on the same teams. The best teams with the most stable culture can do this no problem.

Midland Lee 20 years ago.....I hope that wasnt coach Earl Miller......my bad that was 30yrs ago...damn I'm getting old

Last edited:
I think the new transfer is bad for college football. I think it’s bad for the athletes as well. I liked the NFL better before free agency came along.

I think the new transfer is bad for college football. I think it’s bad for the athletes as well. I liked the NFL better before free agency came along.
I wouldn't be surprised if we see some changes soon. Perhaps a limits on being able to transfer only once + a grad transfer. Still gives a player the chance to move once early in their career and then seek that final year somewhere they can get PT (like Booney) or take a step up (like Calvin Anderson, Parker Braun).

The kid as a freshman did not feel comfortable at Texas and it happens to a lot of freshman.Maybe it was the school work,competing on the football team,missed familiar places and friends back home,just immature to deal with the change.We lost a good football player but we will find another,maybe better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT