ADVERTISEMENT

Bru McCoy

The kid as a freshman did not feel comfortable at Texas and it happens to a lot of freshman.Maybe it was the school work,competing on the football team,missed familiar places and friends back home,just immature to deal with the change.We lost a good football player but we will find another,maybe better.

He shoulda looked before he jumped! He didn't take care of his bizness, if he wants a shit education at USC then let him have it! Again I say we don't need anyone that doesn't want to be a Longhorn...

Not sure about the transfer rule. Worked out ok for OU with the Bama QB. But twice in four months? Seems weird.

I wonder how much the shipping charge was for Hurts from Bama to OU? Bet he got a charge card from Big Red motors...:cool:

In my opinion no player should be allowed to transfer the way he did. Make them stick with that first commitment for at least a season. They may like it if they do. He had more power than the coaches did apparently with Herman maybe Helton.

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
The homesickness excuse seems as genuine to me as the racial excuse made by justin fields.
Justin fields could not compete at georgia and McCoy seems to have started feeling homesick suddenly after going back home.

Defense teammates had something to say about it.

"This program ain't for everyone," sophomore safety Caden Sternstweeted Thursday morning.

"We (are) built differently brother," junior defensive back Josh Thompson said. Redshirt freshman linebacker Byron Vaughns

"Say it louder for the ones in the back," sophomore defensive back B.J. Foster said.

Redshirt freshman defensive tackle Keondre Coburn expressed himself a bit more than the sophomore safety and his fellow teammates.

Coburn quoted Sterns' tweet, and added, "Plus, we don't kiss nobody('s) a**."

Last edited:
Reactions: Metcalf #2
The homesickness excuse seems as genuine to me as the racial excuse made by justin fields.
Justin fields could not compete at georgia and McCoy seems to have started feeling homesick suddenly after going back home.
I'm not saying that playing time didn't help with Justin Fields transferring, but the racial issues are public and real.

Last time I was in Georgia, I saw and heard more racism against whites than white on black. I'm sure it's there on both sides, but it still is no where close to the racism I've seen in places like New York, Philadelphia and Boston.

I've seen much less racism in Texas than in any other state, that probably has a lot to do with me living in San Antonio, which is majority Latino and military.

I'm not saying that playing time didn't help with Justin Fields transferring, but the racial issues are public and real.

Yep, and will only get worse with a contracting economy coupled with inflation. People tend to fracture on cultural lines when the going gets tough.... However, once the going gets desperate, people help people without the reference to pigment. We are not there yet. When the credit bubble finally pops, Texas will be a good place to live. No, there won't be a zombie apocalypse.

When thousands of young people are together at a university, there are going to be some bad apples.

Does anyone remember Ryan Perrilloux? That was the last time I remember this much recruiting drama tied to one recruit. At least this time we didn't pass on Matt Stafford.

Does anyone remember Ryan Perrilloux? That was the last time I remember this much recruiting drama tied to one recruit. At least this time we didn't pass on Matt Stafford.

We never passed on Matt Stafford. Stafford's dad was good friends with the Georgia coach and Matt was zero-ed in on Georgia from the beginning.

You may know more than I do on that one. From what I recall at the time, we stopped recruiting Stafford because Texas made a promise to Perrilloux that he would be the only top QB prospect we recruited that year. Nonetheless, Perrilloux eventually decommitted and went to LSU after Vince Young's breakout year (not wanting to sit)... I guess my point is that this is not the first time I've seen a kid paralyzed by indecision and act rashly. Hopefully, Bru ends up with better prospects than Perrilloux when all is said and done.

Yeah Texas stopped recruiting him because they knew it was a waste of time.

In hindsight I'm quite glad he was never going to come here. He wasn't anything incredible at UGA, and he would have been a bad fit for GDGD's best-designed offense. Davis's attempts at a pro-style offense made me want to blind myself.

Reactions: Metcalf #2
In hindsight I'm quite glad he was never going to come here. He wasn't anything incredible at UGA, and he would have been a bad fit for GDGD's best-designed offense. Davis's attempts at a pro-style offense made me want to blind myself.

I don't blame Davis for that FUBAR, that was 100% on Mack. We didn't have the offensive linemen to run that offense. Our offensive line recruiting the 4 previous years was based on a spread offense where all they did was pass block for 3 seconds. Then they were asked to become road graders. it was a disaster waiting to happen. We basically tried to turn a mini van into a bulldozer.

I don't blame Davis for that FUBAR, that was 100% on Mack. We didn't have the offensive linemen to run that offense. Our offensive line recruiting the 4 previous years was based on a spread offense where all they did was pass block for 3 seconds. Then they were asked to become road graders. it was a disaster waiting to happen. We basically tried to turn a mini van into a bulldozer.

Not only talking about post-2009. Before VY, GD's offense stunk on hot ice against almost any team with a good defense. Chronically sh*tty run game.

Mccoy and Steele will room together at usc and major in drama
I read an article from the Athletic yesterday that stated that the reason he ultimately decided on USC was due to the fact that his mother was recently laid off and he didn't want to put the burden of traveling for every game on his parents. Some PR guy may have gotten in his ear, but that seems like a pretty mature reason to stay home.

I read an article from the Athletic yesterday that stated that the reason he ultimately decided on USC was due to the fact that his mother was recently laid off and he didn't want to put the burden of traveling for every game on his parents. Some PR guy may have gotten in his ear, but that seems like a pretty mature reason to stay home.

It's definitely a reason I would dream up if i were trying to excuse my behavior. Or if usc simply gave a higher signing bonus or perk like getting mom a secret account to pay her bills, buy a house or not have to hold a job for a couple years. Or not, i mean it's not like usc has ever pulled that one before. And if it really was something like how you described, I mean that's cool n all but then he's not there because he wanted to be. And if you arent in a place you really want to be, this day & age with transfer rules, I could see another transfer coming when things get hard.

Personally I heard that usc told him they didnt have a scholarship for him so he went to oregon. Then suddenly a scholarship opened up and then he went.

It's definitely a reason I would dream up if i were trying to excuse my behavior. Or if usc simply gave a higher signing bonus or perk like getting mom a secret account to pay her bills, buy a house or not have to hold a job for a couple years. Or not, i mean it's not like usc has ever pulled that one before. And if it really was something like how you described, I mean that's cool n all but then he's not there because he wanted to be. And if you arent in a place you really want to be, this day & age with transfer rules, I could see another transfer coming when things get hard.

Personally I heard that usc told him they didnt have a scholarship for him so he went to oregon. Then suddenly a scholarship opened up and then he went.
This would make sense as well. If you wanted to go to USC and they told you we don't have a spot, then a spot becomes available....wouldn't you want to go, if possible?

One thing I try to remember is, that how glad I am that my actions as a high school senior, college freshman were not on display for all to see. Also, try to remember that while CFB is big business, they still are 18-22 year olds who sometimes make boneheaded decisions for no other reason than they are 18-22 years old

This would make sense as well. If you wanted to go to USC and they told you we don't have a spot, then a spot becomes available....wouldn't you want to go, if possible?

One thing I try to remember is, that how glad I am that my actions as a high school senior, college freshman were not on display for all to see. Also, try to remember that while CFB is big business, they still are 18-22 year olds who sometimes make boneheaded decisions for no other reason than they are 18-22 years old

Maybe, but If i really wanted to be at a place, and they recruited me hard, i wouldn't have originally committed elsewhere. It doesnt mean that's what happened though. Just something I heard from somebody who likely will never meet him. It could be something really stupid or something really more complicated. Now we got Velus jones who suddenly decided he no longer wants to transfer from usc. Something is going on over there. But steele, mccoy, and jones, sounds like they are making out nicely.

I agree, and it would not surprise me one bit if either of those guys try to transfer out again at some point when they arent happy or their status gets threatened by a better player in a couple years. Ya know, for no other reason than they are 18-22 yr old kids. Poor excuse if you ask me though, because the vast majority of these kids stick with their commitment and even more of stay when they do make it on campus. One transfer, fine, that's understandable. Show up on campus, it's not what you thought, youre not as good as you thought, or one of the cheerleaders is bullying you. But transferring twice before playing a single down? To me this says more about these two guys than they're "just kids". And sure there's a lot we dont know. Is money changing hands? Are coaches making promises, are they being told one thing and being shown another? Who knows. But i cant remember ever seeing this before.

Reactions: LonghornMM
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT