ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Del Conte's first major coaching change..?

It’s probably easier to coach a sport like softball or non revenue sport as a first time head coach than it is one of the big sports. Just less attentionEven at Texas. I’d say Cat is about as good a hire as any unless you were able to make a splash. I’d think Cat would certainly solve some of the recruitment issues

It’s probably easier to coach a sport like softball or non revenue sport as a first time head coach than it is one of the big sports. Just less attentionEven at Texas. I’d say Cat is about as good a hire as any unless you were able to make a splash. I’d think Cat would certainly solve some of the recruitment issues
I agree with you. She would be an amazing recruiter. She has never been a head coach though, so that's a question mark. Hiring Cat is a little bit like hiring Charlie/Tom, and hiring Tim Walton is like hiring Dabo Swinney.

I agree with you. She would be an amazing recruiter. She has never been a head coach though, so that's a question mark. Hiring Cat is a little bit like hiring Charlie/Tom, and hiring Tim Walton is like hiring Dabo Swinney.
Yeah. I mean I get that big schools historically don’t like to hire assistant coaches as head coaches, but I’d argue they should be open to it more. Especially in sports that don’t get as much PR. Take a chance.

I mean look at guys like chip Kelly and Scott Frost. Anyone in America could of had these guys when they were OC’s but “oh they never been head coaches”. Could use other examples as well but you get it. If I were Del Conte I’d hire cat in a heartbeat. He’s kind of in a tough spot. If he doesn’t and she goes on to be a great coach it’s going to be talked about for years.

Yeah. I mean I get that big schools historically don’t like to hire assistant coaches as head coaches, but I’d argue they should be open to it more. Especially in sports that don’t get as much PR. Take a chance.

I mean look at guys like chip Kelly and Scott Frost. Anyone in America could of had these guys when they were OC’s but “oh they never been head coaches”. Could use other examples as well but you get it. If I were Del Conte I’d hire cat in a heartbeat. He’s kind of in a tough spot. If he doesn’t and she goes on to be a great coach it’s going to be talked about for years.
Agree. Tough spot. She hasn't proven herself yet, so she's a risky hire. We haven't made the splash hire in quite a while. We didn't get Saban. Shaka was smaller scale. Charlie was smaller scale. Our baseball coaching search was VERY strange. A&M got Jimbo, etc.. That's not to say Herman won't end up a really smart and amazing hire, but he's a bit unproven as a head coach. We consistently haven't gotten the big coaches to jump to Texas. So, do you hire a slam dunk coach to create a legacy here, and hope that Cat wants to come replace that person in 10-15 years? Or do you take a chance on Cat now and give her time to establish herself? This would be a much easier choice had Cat worked at least one year as a head coach.

Agree. Tough spot. She hasn't proven herself yet, so she's a risky hire. We haven't made the splash hire in quite a while. We didn't get Saban. Shaka was smaller scale. Charlie was smaller scale. Our baseball coaching search was VERY strange. A&M got Jimbo, etc.. That's not to say Herman won't end up a really smart and amazing hire, but he's a bit unproven as a head coach. We consistently haven't gotten the big coaches to jump to Texas. So, do you hire a slam dunk coach to create a legacy here, and hope that Cat wants to come replace that person in 10-15 years? Or do you take a chance on Cat now and give her time to establish herself? This would be a much easier choice had Cat worked at least one year as a head coach.
No doubt it’s an easier choice in folks minds had she been a head coach before... not sure it changes much in practicality though.. Dies one year as a HC REALlY prepare you any more than being an assistant? Perception wise it does for sure. Not sure it does in reality.

Guess you didn’t see the Spring game to see the OL is still a huge issue.

This is why it would be wise to keep the expectations tempered. I know Ryan wants to criticize for not winning the games we are supposed to win (what is that?). Build upon last years record and beat it. Eight wins would be awesome and not expecting more. Now contrast to Shaka Smart who keeps winning less each year and you can see where I am going.

Reactions: Pumpedup55
This is why it would be wise to keep the expectations tempered. I know Ryan wants to criticize for not winning the games we are supposed to win (what is that?). Build upon last years record and beat it. Eight wins would be awesome and not expecting more. Now contrast to Shaka Smart who keeps winning less each year and you can see where I am going.
Who is criticizing? Last year with the exception of Maryland Texas beat the teams most of us expected them to beat. Most of us expect 8 wins this year. We were 7-6 with the bowl game, so 8 wins would be building on last year. There was nothing conterversial about what I said nor was it critizing anyone.

One thing I don’t want to hear this year though is Herman talk about a signature win. He talked about it all year last year and we came up just short in every big game(played ok for the most part.)Time to stop talking about it and go get one this year.

Year 2 under Charlie they beat number 10 OU and number 12 Baylor, and I’d argue this years team is better prepared than that team was. Time to go get a big win.

Kind of frustrating how close that year 2 team under strong was to a pretty solid year. Kicking and ST’s really killed that team. Much like it did in 2017

Who is criticizing? Last year with the exception of Maryland Texas beat the teams most of us expected them to beat. Most of us expect 8 wins this year. We were 7-6 with the bowl game, so 8 wins would be building on last year. There was nothing conterversial about what I said nor was it critizing anyone.

One thing I don’t want to hear this year though is Herman talk about a signature win. He talked about it all year last year and we came up just short in every big game(played ok for the most part.)Time to stop talking about it and go get one this year.

Year 2 under Charlie they beat number 10 OU and number 12 Baylor, and I’d argue this years team is better prepared than that team was. Time to go get a big win.

Kind of frustrating how close that year 2 team under strong was to a pretty solid year. Kicking and ST’s really killed that team. Much like it did in 2017

Charlie is gone, let it go......

Reactions: LonghornMM
Reactions: westx
Stop stirring up trouble. Go after Shaka Smart instead, he's been here 3 years and sucked royally.
You have posters here expecting us to be in the conference championship game. Im saying “I think 8 wins is a reasonable and reachable expectation” and I’m stiring up trouble? Get a life dude. You don’t like me you’ve made that clear time to move on.

Well if Del Conte is going to make a move with Connie Clark we may know some time this week, as the women lost to Washington today playing in elimination game tonight.

and wining big at another school, but that's showbiz! Now if he goes Big this yr and next, that will be the time to wonder.

Hook'em

FB, Strong sucked at Texas, no if's and's or butt's about it. He walked into a job with a veteran QB that was ideal for Gilbert's offense and USF plays in a garbage conference. Let go of Charlie, he ain't coming back, and neither is DKR.

and wining big at another school, but that's showbiz! Now if he goes Big this yr and next, that will be the time to wonder.

Hook'em

FB...are you being serious? LOL. He took over a team with 18 retiring starters and a Heisman candidate QB and had a worse record than the year before.

What has CS "won big" exactly?

You laud his one 10 win season, which included masterful 14 point victories over the likes of Stony Brook and 7 point blowouts of powerhouses Tulsa and Tulane. And then shit on Mack for "only" winning 10.

You're bordering on complete lunacy FB. Stop saying stupid shit...for the sake of all of us here on the OB.

Yep.

https://www.hookem.com/story/texas-softball-recruiting-ones-got-away/

Clark said Texas doesn’t actively recruit players that have already committed elsewhere.

“To me, that’s as good as signing a letter of intent,” Clark said. “It’s an integrity thing. I’ve had that happen to me, where a player committed and then another school came in and snagged her out from under me, and it’s not a good feeling.”

Good grief. That has nothing to do with having integrity. So anyone that continues to recruit someone "committed" has no integrity?

Is she the most humble person she knows too?

FB, Strong sucked at Texas, no if's and's or butt's about it. He walked into a job with a veteran QB that was ideal for Gilbert's offense and USF or UCF plays in a garbage conference. Let go of Charlie, he ain't coming back, and neither is DKR.
Don't want him back, just making a statement..but, any of them UCF garbage men woulda beat Texas sad to say, maybe we should played like garbage men..LOL
And then the Vet got hurt and all we got is the 18 wheeler that can only run 4 plays..lol, just face it MM CS and Herman a lie in some ways, both of them got left with nothing or a little something to work with, they both having to rebuild, we all yelled at CS for that and now its Herman that's gonna get yelled at if he don't get it, its a long way to the Top the orders come from. I really liked Ash , the kid had HEART!, what we need from everyone now.

DKR always here in that stadium when they kick that ball off on Sat. CS is in Florida !...LOL!

Don't want him back, just making a statement..but, any of them UCF garbage men woulda beat Texas sad to say, maybe we should played like garbage men..LOL
And then the Vet got hurt and all we got is the 18 wheeler that can only run 4 plays..lol, just face it MM CS and Herman a lie in some ways, both of them got left with nothing or a little something to work with, they both having to rebuild, we all yelled at CS for that and now its Herman that's gonna get yelled at if he don't get it, its a long way to the Top the orders come from. I really liked Ash , the kid had HEART!, what we need from everyone now.

DKR always here in that stadium when they kick that ball off on Sat. CS is in Florida !...LOL!

English, FB?

I do not give a shit about CS, I gave up so you need to get off my ass about me liking him, ya'll had better worry about your savior Herman...what ya'll gonna say when he walks? Not one person on this BB has not said something about CS, MB, Herman at one time or another, you do remember this last season when ya'll was all hollering at Herman????. CS is a good example of how long a mediocre coach will last at Texas, he was a good guy, yes, like I said when CS signed that contract he knew he was F'd from the start, and MB not coming back either. All you can do is use them as examples now, so stop throwing stones!

Hook'em

Damn, I take a few days off and the board turns into chaos! =)roll

I do not give a shit about CS, I gave up so you need to get off my ass about me liking him, ya'll had better worry about your savior Herman...what ya'll gonna say when he walks? Not one person on this BB has not said something about CS, MB, Herman at one time or another, you do remember this last season when ya'll was all hollering at Herman????. CS is a good example of how long a mediocre coach will last at Texas, he was a good guy, yes, like I said when CS signed that contract he knew he was F'd from the start, and MB not coming back either. All you can do is use them as examples now, so stop throwing stones!

Hook'em

Yet you can't keep bringing him up in every other post you make. If you don't like Herman and the direction that the Texas football program is going in, and if you have nothing positive to say, then just say nothing.

Hook'em

Dislike TH all you want, but when you say idiotic crap like Strong is "winning big" at his new place I'm going to respond.

Maybe TH is mediocre here and CS wins a natty at USF...but as it stands, CS was the beneficiary of terrific work by Taggert and a Heisman QB...and they had a worse record. USF played a schedule full of below average teams as well.

Reactions: LonghornMM

Hook'em

FB, this is for you! Ryan, feel free to sing along. :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT