ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Del Conte's first major coaching change..?

Cat has been recruiting for Texas State the last few years and doing it very well. Kids today may not of seen her play but she’s not exactly an unknown on the circles either.

Plus being able to put Olympic gold on the kitchen table isn’t a bad tool either. If we can’t get a big name hire an up and comer like Cat. I know everyone likes proven names but sometimes the up and comer is the way to go.

Yeah, the Olympics are the pinnacle for women's softball and if you're playing in college that is your ultimate dream. If you don't know who Cat is you're either a dumbass or don't really give a shit about your sport. Same goes for the "club" coaches.

Reactions: westx
Yeah, the Olympics are the pinnacle for women's softball and if you're playing in college that is your ultimate dream. If you don't know who Cat is you're either a dumbass or don't really give a shit about your sport. Same goes for the "club" coaches.
I was going to respond to d1softballfan because he mentioned recruits don't know who she is. Cat's wikipedia page has too many accolades to even list. I believe that her number was retired in the pro league and also has set records in addition to her collegiate and olympic records.

Reactions: weevilcatch
I wonder when we will hear news on this. I'm guessing CDC is waiting until the WCWS is complete next week and all the coaches are "available."

I wonder when we will hear news on this. I'm guessing CDC is waiting until the WCWS is complete next week and all the coaches are "available."
Only reason to wait that long is if you are going to try to lure one of those big name coaches.

If you could make a splash hire before the weekend, Texas could possibly obtain a ton of media attention with the WCWS going on. A splash hire would definitely get talked about during the broadcast.
On a side note, if yall haven't watched a top level softball game, make that an item on the bucket list. The atmosphere is electric and the talent is off the charts.

If you could make a splash hire before the weekend, Texas could possibly obtain a ton of media attention with the WCWS going on. A splash hire would definitely get talked about during the broadcast.
On a side note, if yall haven't watched a top level softball game, make that an item on the bucket list. The atmosphere is electric and the talent is off the charts.
Yeah. Softball is a very underrated sport. A lot of fun to watch when played at a high level.

I’m surprised you think Texas will be better than A&M.
I don't know if you will be better but you should be based on schedule. Every major team you play is replacing a good QB (TCU will probably be an upgrade). You have both of yours back, plus your defense should be good. Also, your players should be more familiar with the coaching staff and system this year. That is what I used as evidence for my prognostication.

I don't know if you will be better but you should be based on schedule. Every major team you play is replacing a good QB (TCU will probably be an upgrade). You have both of yours back, plus your defense should be good. Also, your players should be more familiar with the coaching staff and system this year. That is what I used as evidence for my prognostication.

But the Ags schedule is not tougher...

Didn't say it was. It is early however. 2 of our first 4 games are against the past 3 National champions. If we improve throughout the year after that we could be decent which is 7 wins. You have USC at home and they have a new qb and have struggled early anyway. You should get off to a great start. Hell, you had a Damn good shot to beat OU last year. Based on those things our schedule is every bit as difficult if not n
More so. Add Auburn with Stidham, LSU, and at South Carolina. I think I just convinced myself ours is tougher.

Didn't say it was. It is early however. 2 of our first 4 games are against the past 3 National champions. If we improve throughout the year after that we could be decent which is 7 wins. You have USC at home and they have a new qb and have struggled early anyway. You should get off to a great start. Hell, you had a Damn good shot to beat OU last year. Based on those things our schedule is every bit as difficult if not n
More so. Add Auburn with Stidham, LSU, and at South Carolina. I think I just convinced myself ours is tougher.

That's because you keep looking at the $EC patch on the uniforms and you've convinced yourself that the $EC is the best conference in America, which its not.

I was watching some of the women’s college World Series while I’m doing some work. If Texas goes with an expierenced head coach Trisha Ford from ASU would be a very solid hire. Took Fresno state to back to back post seasons, and has ASU in the World Series in her 2nd year. Pretty solid resume and probably a more attainable target than a few of the other names out there.

Dislike TH all you want, but when you say idiotic crap like Strong is "winning big" at his new place I'm going to respond.

Maybe TH is mediocre here and CS wins a natty at USF...but as it stands, CS was the beneficiary of terrific work by Taggert and a Heisman QB...and they had a worse record. USF played a schedule full of below average teams as well.

All I care about is winning and getting back to where we belong...at the Top! Sometimes ya cut a few slow cattle to keep the herd moving, unless he shows he can keep up, soon the season will start, the proof is in the pudding everyone makes their own bed...in football.

CS probably makes more money being a idiot coach than you do Weeeville..lol

Hook'em

Dislike TH all you want, but when you say idiotic crap like Strong is "winning big" at his new place I'm going to respond.

Maybe TH is mediocre here and CS wins a natty at USF...but as it stands, CS was the beneficiary of terrific work by Taggert and a Heisman QB...and they had a worse record. USF played a schedule full of below average teams as well.

Discussion during WCWS finals about Heather Tarr, the Washington head coach, who apparently was an unconventional hire initially, without much experience, and a former player...it's turned out well for them. They've been good almost every year for the past 12 years, including a National Championship in 2009 and now they're fighting for another one. Precedent for hiring Cat and letting her build a dynasty?

Discussion during WCWS finals about Heather Tarr, the Washington head coach, who apparently was an unconventional hire initially, without much experience, and a former player...it's turned out well for them. They've been good almost every year for the past 12 years, including a National Championship in 2009 and now they're fighting for another one. Precedent for hiring Cat and letting her build a dynasty?
I understand the hesitancy to do so, but, I would love for that to happen.

Yeah and I mean there is prescient for it in other sports as well Chip Kelly, Garry Patterson, Bob Stoops, Bill Snyder. None of those guys were well known championship coaches when they got their jobs. Look at Kirby Smart with UGA. I don’t think programs give assistants enough of a look.

Doesn't look like Tim Walton is leaving Florida. He just signed a 10 year extension with the Gators. Probably had something to do with us poking around.

Doesn't look like Tim Walton is leaving Florida. He just signed a 10 year extension with the Gators. Probably had something to do with us poking around.
Yep. That’s usually how coaches get extensions lol. Looks like Del Conte is shooting for the fences.

During WCWS he was interviewed about it and he said "I haven't thought about going there or talked to anyone about it, BUT that position will be a game-changer as far as softball coaches nationwide" implying the implications of building a program and salary precedent. He played it smart, got to stay, and probably got more $. I wonder where CDC will turn and when we will hear. We are losing ground as far as preparing for next year and getting commitments from future players. The longer we have no coach, the more we will fall into irrelevancy. But I've heard nothing from any sources about this. CDC seems focused on other issues. The ASU or FSU softball coaches would be good gets, but with Walton out, I think taking a gamble on Cat makes the most sense. It would be sad, ten years from now, for her to be taking Oklahoma State to the WCWS and us wondering what happened.

Yeah. I think if you can’t get a big time coach soon. Cat would be the best option. She’d rally the alumni and base. She’d be a hit in state as well.

Reactions: westx
Yeah. I think if you can’t get a big time coach soon. Cat would be the best option. She’d rally the alumni and base. She’d be a hit in state as well.
She would be a hit with anyone who knows anything about softball. Getting an Alum, who happens to be one of the most decorated softball players of all time, back on campus would be huge. It would be tough for any good pitcher in the country to turn down an offer from Texas with Cat running the show.

I don't see FSU's coach leaving FSU. You typically don't leave a program that you just won a NC at to go rebuild a program. I could see the ASU coach wanting to get out. The Big 12 is less of a gauntlet when it comes to conference schedule than the Pac 12. You have to go through OU, but that is really about it on a yearly basis.

I'm not understanding the football comment. Will we lose some this year? Sure. I think 7-8 wins this season is doable with a bowl win. Now Shaka Smart.... He is a disaster. I see no reason for optimism here.

I don’t think people understand how bad a coach is Shaka Smart. The half court offense is an abomination. If we face any team who can slow a ball screen at the top of the key, our lone hope is guys throwing in desperation three point shots at end of the shot clock.

Then you need to figure in that ALL of Smart’s top recruits came out of his work with the U18 USA team in 2016- a gig that he won’t see again in this lifetime.

Basically Smart has survived this long due to his contract, and the fact that at Texas there are about 14 people who follow hoops. With Roach and Coleman, we likely win 21 games and lose another NCAA round one game. We are literally just watching wheels spin and waiting for years left on that contract to be spent.

Last edited:
I don’t think people understand how bad a coach is Shaka Smart. The half court offense is an abomination. If we face any team who can slow a ball screen at the top of the key, our lone hope is guys throwing in desperation three point shots at end of the shot clock.

Then you need to figure in that ALL of Smart’s top recruits came out of his work with the U18 USA team in 2016- a gig that he won’t see again in this lifetime.

Basically Smart has survived this long due to his contract, and the fact that at Texas there are about 14 people who follow hoops. With Roach and Coleman, we likely win 21 games and lose another NCAA round one game. We are literally just watching wheels spin and waiting for years left on that contract to be spent.
This couldn’t be more wrong

Looks like CDC has spent considerable efforts on hiring a new Track & Field coach, announced today. Perhaps he will be able to focus now on hiring the new softball coach. A lot going on with preparing for football, building the new baseball facility, baseball in Omaha, etc..

CDC did an outstanding job of cleaning house with the track program and getting Edrick Floreal. That was a home run hire. It needed to be, and it was. A+ grade for CDC's first hire in Austin.

CDC did an outstanding job of cleaning house with the track program and getting Edrick Floreal. That was a home run hire. It needed to be, and it was. A+ grade for CDC's first hire in Austin.
I wasn't familiar with what all was going on with the track program, but in reading about this hire there seemed to have been a lot of controversy with Plonsky and 2 different coaches? If you know the details, I would love a summary of what went down. Not that familiar with track or with this new coach, but responses I've seen appear to be mostly positive

Plonsky didn't like the men's track coach and wanted the women's coach to take over the whole program (though Plonsky didn't have the authority to make that happen). This was while Perrin was still the interim AD. CDC came in, quickly sized up the total dysfunction and got rid of all of them, and today hired Floreal to run the entire track program (men's and women's), as Floreal did at Kentucky. Excellent move all the way around, and fortunately Plonsky has been demoted and is no longer a co-AD who can contaminate our athletics programs like she had been.

Looks like CDC has found his man Mike white Oregon head coach will be the new UT softball coach. Based solely on resume it’s a damn impressive get

Reactions: JHop6714
ADVERTISEMENT