Creating the best MLB lineup ever

EBrunker73

Gold Member
Oct 28, 2015
Watching Astros today, started thinking about greatest lineup of all time. It is easy to pick the best hitters but what about the best lineup defensively and offensively. Here is what I came up with. Only players I saw play, not including current players because their careers are still developing.
  1. Rickey Henderson LF - best lead off ever and his defense was underrated
  2. Tony Gwynn RF - no one had more bat control so his versatility at the plate is a plus, gold glover in RF early in his career
  3. Barry Bonds DH - with Griffey behind him, you would have to pitch to him. With Rickey and Gwynn in front of him and not able to walk him, he would be a 200+ RBI guy
  4. Ken Griffey Jr. CF - epitome of 5-tool player
  5. Albert Pujols 1B - bat speaks for itself but people forget he also had 2 gold gloves
  6. Mike Schmidt 3B - hated him growing up but respect his 3x MVP, 10x Gold Glove, and 8x HR Leader
  7. Ivan Rodriguez C - toss up for me between Pudge and Bench, but I think Pudge plays the modern game better
  8. Roberto Alomar 2B - Honus Wagner and Joe Morgan are up there, but looking at modern day game, I think Alomar is better. I like a strong MIF defensively and Alomar has 10x Gold Gloves. Altuve is a personal favorite but given the rest of the lineup I am going with the multiple gold glover
  9. Ozzie Smith SS - I like a strong MIF, with Ozzie's 13x Gold Gloves combined with Alomar' 10 we got that. (Add Pudge and Junior and you have 46 Gold Gloves up the middle). Ozzie's bat was solid enough at .262 Avg, and .337 OBP. Plus he could bunt and run. Had the potential to start a rally at the bottom of the order.

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.