ADVERTISEMENT

Did Tom Herman affect Bob Stoops decision to retire?

HornsRuleU

Dec 5, 2005
Texas
Stoops sees the handwriting on the wall? Or am I delusional on a Saturday morning, and they're completely unrelated?

Put another way, does OU project upward or downward for the next couple years? What are the reasons why Stoops left now?

Reactions: Bruce Baker
Yes. The 10x Big Twelve Champion worried about Tom Herman, a guy who beat Stoops once but then lost to Navy, SMU, and Memphis.

If you use that logic, then he would have quit after losing to Les Miles in back to back years in 2001 and 2002.

There is nothing about Stoops demeanor that makes me think he's afraid of anything, outside of dying early like his Dad did.

Last edited:
I have had some battles with Micco over the years ( and I am sure we aint done yet), but I agree with him here. I think Stoops was just done....or he felt like he was done. He was smarter than Mack(he was always smarter than Mack) and he didnt want his last years to be crappy with him not having the fire to make it not crappy.

He left on his own terms and with the team in good shape....but Micco....while true Herman lost to SMU he did not lose to OU....and dont forget that as always...OU sucks

Stoops retiring had nothing to do with Herman. It wouldn't surprise me to see him take a year off and be coaching somewhere else next season.

Reactions: StainedOrange
Laughed out loud at the notion Bobby is afraid of Tommy. I don't believe that Bobby is afraid of any other coach. I just think he lost his passion and drive. Major college coaching can burn a person out.

He's getting out on top, that's smart. Hopefully he'll put his free time to good use, enjoy his life and spend some quality time with family and friends and do some fishin!

Tom is young, hungry and motivated, has beaten Stoops with lesser talent, and was outrecruiting him.

Not saying he is THE reason Stoops retired, but I wouldnt doubt it played a part.

Reactions: Diesel Burnes
Stoops hanging it up was more about winning all those Bigxii titles and only having ONE national title to show for it. Ain't that right micco? #nobiggamebob

Brian Kelly goes 5-7 this year and gets the boot and Stoops rolls into South Bend.

That's what I think will happen as well. ND is going to suck again and Kelly is going to be out. Stoops will take over there in 2018.

Stoops hanging it up was more about winning all those Bigxii titles and only having ONE national title to show for it. Ain't that right micco? #nobiggamebob
That makes more sense, but I still maintain it was for his health.

We can all speculate all we want about how much any specific thing played into the decision, but at the end of the day it's just speculation.

Who's to say it's not just as likely that Stoops actually wanted to face Herman because he lost to him last year, and that thought actually made him want to coach even longer? Maybe he was dead set that he was going to retire January 2nd immediately after the Sugar Bowl, but the idea of coaching against a new, young rival made him try to comeback for another year. But his health made him re-think that decision.

My scenario is just as likely if you haven't already decided he was tired of coaching.

Brian Kelly goes 5-7 this year and gets the boot and Stoops rolls into South Bend.
I've heard that a bunch as well. I won't be surprised, but I doubt it's any sort of plan of his. More of a "never say never", which has been his mantra since Florida came after him in 2000.

You know how much time and effort it takes to revive a program? It's not normal to be a national champion in your second year. Stoops is done, and he wouldnt take a step down from a kush job in Norman where recruiting is going great, just won a couple big 12 championships and are favorites to win the conference and be in the playoff, just to have to go try to take another program to the promised land. It seems like if he thought he really wanted to coach again he'd have just stayed at OU where everything is going along smoothly. I can see that he had enough to stay a few more years if he felt the need but that he left OU and their new coach in prime position to win right away. I have been reading that he heard some troubling news from his doctors concerning about the health of his heart, and wanted to get out ahead of it because we can all guess that the stress and rigors of running a big time program isnt good for the ole ticker. The guy has millions in the bank and maybe he finally decided he wants to go and enjoy being a retired millionaire. He's also on record saying he didnt want to be coaching into his 60s. Anyway unless his health takes a complete 180 there is no reason for him to go and take another college job trying to rebuild a down program. If he did anything, i bet he'd be the dc for his old high school

Reactions: Belldozer1
I just don't see Stoops coaching anyplace else.......period. Personally I just don't think you hang it up at a place like ou.....especially on your own terms......unless you are just burned out or it's a health issue.

Reactions: Belldozer1
I think dude is done. Besides I'm not sure Stoops would be a good coach to bring in to revive a Notre Dame. Our recruiting started to suffer partly due to Stoops getting burned out, I can't see him all of a sudden getting that fire back that he lost several years ago. He's got plenty of money and he's just not hungry anymore in my opinion but I could end up being wrong.

I don't think Herman had anything to do with it, and I'll be pretty surprised if Stoops coaches again. Being a college football coach at a major program is more work than ever. Some might remember that when Mack took over at Texas (and Stoops at OU), almost all of the recruiting happened for a given class in the two months before NSD. Now you generally have to kiss these kids' asses beginning at least two years before NSD if you want to have a shot at landing them. And as the NCAA has liberalized recruiting contact rules, the workload has only increased. It's a constant and year-round grind -- far more so than when Stoops was beginning his head coaching career.

When a person has dedicated almost all of his waking life to something for nearly two decades, and has made tens of millions of dollars in the process, it's not hard to see why he might just decide that he has had enough of the hassle and wants to enjoy life while he's still relatively young and healthy. And, in Stoops' particular case, even if he says otherwise, I imagine health has weighed increasingly on his mind. He has already outlived his father.

Yes. The 10x Big Twelve Champion worried about Tom Herman, a guy who beat Stoops once but then lost to Navy, SMU, Memphis, and the Fighting Chiapets of San Diego State.

I keep seeing Sooners say that Herman lost to SDSU, for some reason. He wasn't at UH then.

Nowhere did I state (nor intend) that Bob Stoops was afraid of seeing Tom Herman on the other Cotton Bowl sideline. So some of you read into that whatever you wanted to read. "Affect" doesn't mean "scare the ever living daylights..."

For one thing, who among us is sure how Herman will do? I'm not convinced. We have a pretty good sense of where Bob Stoops is, and what he can do on the recruiting trail, in training, and on the sidelines.

What I **was** suggesting is that Herman has been doing well at recruiting, including at flipping OU recruits. And I was wondering if maybe Stoops knows some negative things about his program? Did he leave now because he was leaving it in good shape, or since he knew things were about to take a turn for the worse?

Last edited:
Tatum was flipping before Stoops left. Texas has no trouble recruiting. Never scared anyone before. Tom Herman should have enough confidence in the Texas brand and his ability coaching. I don't think he needed all the gadgets he uses. Stoops might of laughed and figured Lincoln could relate to kids in this social media age. Maybe saw the bad ass sledge hammer gimmick and got scared of that. I just hope Riley doesn't get a grill and kiss his players.

Reactions: K2C Sooner
I don't think Herman had anything to do with it, and I'll be pretty surprised if Stoops coaches again. Being a college football coach at a major program is more work than ever. Some might remember that when Mack took over at Texas (and Stoops at OU), almost all of the recruiting happened for a given class in the two months before NSD. Now you generally have to kiss these kids' asses beginning at least two years before NSD if you want to have a shot at landing them. And as the NCAA has liberalized recruiting contact rules, the workload has only increased. It's a constant and year-round grind -- far more so than when Stoops was beginning his head coaching career.

When a person has dedicated almost all of his waking life to something for nearly two decades, and has made tens of millions of dollars in the process, it's not hard to see why he might just decide that he has had enough of the hassle and wants to enjoy life while he's still relatively young and healthy. And, in Stoops' particular case, even if he says otherwise, I imagine health has weighed increasingly on his mind. He has already outlived his father.

I keep seeing Sooners say that Herman lost to SDSU, for some reason. He wasn't at UH then.
You're right, it's a fulltime year round job keeping your recruits coddled until NSD. It has definitely changed since Stoops and Mack started out.

Reactions: HornsRuleU
BBR, you are correct. I will take away the SDSU loss. Thanks for the correction. I need to be better at bringing facts into a discussion.

Tatum was flipping before Stoops left. Texas has no trouble recruiting. Never scared anyone before. Tom Herman should have enough confidence in the Texas brand and his ability coaching. I don't think he needed all the gadgets he uses. Stoops might of laughed and figured Lincoln could relate to kids in this social media age. Maybe saw the bad ass sledge hammer gimmick and got scared of that. I just hope Riley doesn't get a grill and kiss his players.
LOL at that one.

"Maybe saw the bad ass sledge hammer gimmick and got scared of that. I just hope Riley doesn't get a grill and kiss his players."

I just hope Herman doesn't go full sooner and have his players asking teams to let up in the third quarter of a national championship game. #SoonervsTrojans

"Maybe saw the bad ass sledge hammer gimmick and got scared of that. I just hope Riley doesn't get a grill and kiss his players."

I just hope Herman doesn't go full sooner and have his players asking teams to let up in the third quarter of a national championship game. #SoonervsTrojans
Herman wouldn't have to ask his players to quit. They did that all by themselves against...snicker...Kansas. #notarelevantgamelastyear

Don't get butthurt micco TEXAS took care of those mean ol Trojans the year after to WIN the last National Championship for the BigXII.....snicker....snicker

Reactions: MiccoMacey
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT