ADVERTISEMENT

Ehlinger AC sprain to throwing shoulder

You sure are confident in a player we have never seen play. Ever stop to think that they might be worse than Shane and are the 3rd and 4th string for a reason?

How do you not get it? It's not confidence in the freshmen. It's complete lack of confidence in Shane. Being willing to try something new that might not fail, over something known that absolutely will fail.

They're 3rd and 4th string because they're freshmen. That's it. No need to wonder.

Concerning Rising, I had read that he was a dude. Can make every throw, has a really live arm. Can run just fine. Has the it factor. I’m willing to see Thompson play with an open mind though. Let them battle it out.

How do you not get it? It's not confidence in the freshmen. It's complete lack of confidence in Shane. Being willing to try something new that might not fail, over something known that absolutely will fail.

They're 3rd and 4th string because they're freshmen. That's it. No need to wonder.

After Maryland everyone just knew that Shane had to be better. Well that didn’t turn out well. Maybe the coaches who watch everyone during practice knows a little more than us on the subject.

After Maryland everyone just knew that Shane had to be better. Well that didn’t turn out well. Maybe the coaches who watch everyone during practice knows a little more than us on the subject.

Not everyone. I was firmly in the "give the freshmen a shot because we already know Shane sucks" camp. Thankfully, Sam improved dramatically and made me look like an idiot, but now we're back to ground zero. If Sam is not absolutely 100% and our offense is limited because we can't let him run, then it's time to start the move to the future. I've lived through Shane and it was a f*cking nightmare. I can't watch anymore if that's the direction we're headed.

Shane is the better passer, what you saw yesterday was a QB tossed in the mix with little preparation, his timing was off and he wasn't mentally ready to just step in and perform. Even with that said, he did a great job. He had the one int, but what I saw of him was a very quick release a live arm and good velocity on his passes. If Shane was the full time starter he would be killing teams with his arm.

With that said, I now understand why Herman picked Sam. Sam is better for this offense than Shane is, Shane isn't a runner and shouldn't have to be. Shane needs to be under center with a full back in a pro style offense. He would be killer in Michigan or a school that plays a pro style offense. I actually think Shane has more of a shot in the NFL than Sam does. If Sam can't go, Shane would do just fine, we shall see.

Shane is the better passer, what you saw yesterday was a QB tossed in the mix with little preparation, his timing was off and he wasn't mentally ready to just step in and perform. Even with that said, he did a great job. He had the one int, but what I saw of him was a very quick release a live arm and good velocity on his passes. If Shane was the full time starter he would be killing teams with his arm.

With that said, I now understand why Herman picked Sam. Sam is better for this offense than Shane is, Shane isn't a runner and shouldn't have to be. Shane needs to be under center with a full back in a pro style offense. He would be killer in Michigan or a school that plays a pro style offense. I actually think Shane has more of a shot in the NFL than Sam does. If Sam can't go, Shane would do just fine, we shall see.

What are you smoking....?

Shane would get DESTROYED in the NFl . The dude is smaller than Colt. Maybe even smaller than when Colt was a freshman.

The nightmare was the Olinemen in front of him,in fact,they were in my mind the worst I have ever seen at the University of Texas.Despite this fact,Shane has thrown for over 4,500 yards as a Texas QB and played injured in a lot of games.I think the freshman kids are good but not willing to pull the plug until I see Shane play more and will have two weeks to prepare and play.

Neither Ehlinger or Buechele are going to be playing in the NFL. Sam gives Texas the best chance to win now, but he's not the long term "guy" at Texas. I'd like to get a look at Rising to see what he looks like. Roschon Johnson looks like the "guy". If you haven't seen game tape of him, look him up. He's electric! Can't wait to see him on the 40.

Reactions: 4MNChampsHorn
What are you smoking....?

Shane would get DESTROYED in the NFl . The dude is smaller than Colt. Maybe even smaller than when Colt was a freshman.

You do realize that Shane has two more years of college before the NFL is an option, that is plenty of time to bulk up, just like Colt did. Lets also remember that even after college he can bulk up more.

You must understand the constants. You can't teach speed, you can't teach height, but you can bulk up someone. The real question is can he pass on a professional level, if the answer to that is yes, then he can play in the NFL. If Drew Brees can play in the NFL than Shane can as well.

Neither Ehlinger or Buechele are going to be playing in the NFL. Sam gives Texas the best chance to win now, but he's not the long term "guy" at Texas. I'd like to get a look at Rising to see what he looks like. Roschon Johnson looks like the "guy". If you haven't seen game tape of him, look him up. He's electric! Can't wait to see him on the 40.

I’ve got the luxury of watching him every Friday night. The tape doesn’t do the kid justice. He’s the real deal on the field and a great kid off the field.

You do realize that Shane has two more years of college before the NFL is an option, that is plenty of time to bulk up, just like Colt did. Lets also remember that even after college he can bulk up more.

You must understand the constants. You can't teach speed, you can't teach height, but you can bulk up someone. The real question is can he pass on a professional level, if the answer to that is yes, then he can play in the NFL. If Drew Brees can play in the NFL than Shane can as well.

Shane doesn’t have the arm talent to play in the league. The only comparison to Brees is his height.

Everybody is electrical in high school, that doesn't mean their game translates to the college level. And yes I have seen Roshon's tape, and it is amazing, but I'm not falling in that trap again. Besides, Card's tape is even better, that kid is a Colt McCoy clone out there. I'd put more money on him being the guy than Roshon. Don't dismiss Sam or Shane, If Garrett Gilbert can get into the NFL than I'm feeling good about Sam and Shane doing so.

The answer to that is no, he cannot pass on the NFL level. You also cannot bulk up height, and btw Shane is in his third year and hasn't bulked up one bit.

Reactions: LonghornMM

I agree with most of this. Shane's timing was definitely off. (Beck the tight end had an off night last night was well) Last year I was sure and more convinced now that Beck's play calling for Shane was being forced to be something he wasn't and Beck and Herman refused to adjust. I agree it is on them to modify the play calling for Shane. I don't think it requires an overhaul, but, adjusting-yes. I like what Beck has done this year with Sam and our offense. Sam is not as great as some of you think at this point, however we are winning and it doesn't matter all that much that we barely squeaked out a win vs Tulsa just like last night. Shane hasn't had the luxury of a decent OL and this year we have a decent OL, very good RBs, and outstanding receivers. I believe we will be okay with Shane if the coaches modify game plan. Hell, we have good running backs and good receivers-our QB shouldn't have to run the ball to win.

All I'm saying is Shane is a better QB than Garrett Gilbert ever was. Think about it.

Gilbert was terrible so that doesn’t say a lot. If we played a pro style offense, then yes he’d be a fit. The problem is, he doesn’t fit Herman’s offense...the 2 fish do. He’s no threat to beat you with his feet and that cuts this offense in half

I agree with most of this. Shane's timing was definitely off. (Beck the tight end had an off night last night was well) Last year I was sure and more convinced now that Beck's play calling for Shane was being forced to be something he wasn't and Beck and Herman refused to adjust. I agree it is on them to modify the play calling for Shane. I don't think it requires an overhaul, but, adjusting-yes. I like what Beck has done this year with Sam and our offense. Sam is not as great as some of you think at this point, however we are winning and it doesn't matter all that much that we barely squeaked out a win vs Tulsa just like last night. Shane hasn't had the luxury of a decent OL and this year we have a decent OL, very good RBs, and outstanding receivers. I believe we will be okay with Shane if the coaches modify game plan. Hell, we have good running backs and good receivers-our QB shouldn't have to run the ball to win.
Good post,That is what I see

Concerning Rising, I had read that he was a dude. Can make every throw, has a really live arm. Can run just fine. Has the it factor. I’m willing to see Thompson play with an open mind though. Let them battle it out.

In the spring game, Thompson looked better. Maybe I have them swapped but one could really move and had a rocket arm.

What to worry about? The defense let Baylor drive the entire field with the game on the line and Dicker missed two field goals which next time can cost us a game.

Terrible break for your team, but D is what is getting it done for you guys. Still really like your chances to make the Big XII championship game.

One that side of the ball, you're pretty close to CFP-worthy. Not quite though.

What to worry about? The defense let Baylor drive the entire field with the game on the line and Dicker missed two field goals which next time can cost us a game.

One of those misses was a pretty low percentage shot, can't remember how far the first miss was. Get him inside 40 yards and I think he is pretty good, not perfect but pretty good. Our kicker can get the job done.

I also was getting nervous in that last drive, I kept saying to myself, we are going to mess around and lose this game. Glad they tightened up and our coaches pulled their heads out and started bring pressure.

It is too easy for oppossing D's to scheme Shane. Shane lacks a deep ball, he lacks zip to the flats, and is not a good runner. Baylor, which has a poor run defense was able to load up in the box to stop the run and pack the middle of the field where Shane can throw. Our defense will suffer the same fate at OU's except where they are scoring TD's we will be going 3 and out. Our D was gassed because Shane is not a D1 qb.

It is too easy for oppossing D's to scheme Shane. Shane lacks a deep ball, he lacks zip to the flats, and is not a good runner. Baylor, which has a poor run defense was able to load up in the box to stop the run and pack the middle of the field where Shane can throw. Our defense will suffer the same fate at OU's except where they are scoring TD's we will be going 3 and out. Our D was gassed because Shane is not a D1 qb.

This!! You’re spot on man.

Gilbert was terrible so that doesn’t say a lot. If we played a pro style offense, then yes he’d be a fit. The problem is, he doesn’t fit Herman’s offense...the 2 fish do. He’s no threat to beat you with his feet and that cuts this offense in half

My point in the Gilbert comparison was that in the right offense, he got drafted and played 3 years in the NFL. So, yes I think Shane has a shot.

My point in the Gilbert comparison was that in the right offense, he got drafted and played 3 years in the NFL. So, yes I think Shane has a shot.

Gilbert is also 6’3/4 with a bigger arm that Shane. NFL gm’s see the size and think “we’ll take a flier on this kid”. I see Shane graduating and going into coaching.

Shane has a .22 arm while GG had a cannon. Shane is accurate with his .22 and GG couldn't hit at building at 10 feet with the cannon. We need a M1 tank that can hit a free throw at 100 yards.

I will agree Shane is not the next great QB at Texas and is that individual even on campus at the moment but I feel he can be a good QB if the players around him do their jobs.As for the pros,I know only of two in the history of Texas football be All-pro,Vince in his rookie year and Bobby Layne in the 50's. If Im wrong here inform me.

Last edited:
Reactions: westx
ADVERTISEMENT