Every Ewers Pass - First Half UGA

badboy783

Gold Member
Dec 1, 2008
The Woodlands, TX
Ewers Pass #1 Could have been picked off if the LB sinks quicker but for the most part, easy pitch and catch. I don't like this with no play fake and the RB not having to honor the RB. It's almost lazy and nearly allows him right in to the window on the first pass of the game.

Ewers Pass 2 Zone look here from UGA. We're on script. Easy first down, chains move. Good start.

Ewers Pass 3 Zone look again. Good footwork and read. 3/3 start. 2nd and 5.

Ewers Pass 4 Not in love with the play call to the short side but we're on script still most likely. Wingo doesn't read the block well. If he takes this outside behind Helm who's got his man turned in, Banks is about to kill the poor DB coming up. Ball placement from Ewers here could be better.

Ewers Pass 5 First 3rd and long and this is the nuke of a defense scheme that UGA had for this offense. 3 man rush. LB's mirrored. One has the back, one has the QB. 2 High and deep safeties. Nobody wins their route. The pass rush is the critical part. They are collapsing the middle with a 3 man rush. Plenty of time here but as Ewers breaks to flush and try to create, 11 is all over his ass. He was all over Manning too in the clip I posted yesterday. The key to beating this is WR's simply have to win. I'll say several times thought these clips that if Ewers throws the ball away like this instead of taking so many sacks, we're talking about play calling and WR's instead of Ewers. Ewers is 4/5 but UGA has made adjustments.

Ewers Pass 6 My goodness UGA's discipline here coming off of sudden change. Still Ewers makes the correct read. You could argue he could have given Helm a 1 on 1 ball but the back has absolutely nobody in front of him to make the tackle. Ewers even takes heat off of the ball. Oh what could have been. Maybe do this with a WR next time? 4/6

Ewers Pass 7 Wisner is not having a good series. I'm not sure why he's throwing the chip in here. We can't see down field but I always trust the check downs. If Wisner doesn't chip, Ewers doesn't have to double clutch which alerts UGA to come up. Could have been a much bigger gain. 5/7

Ewers Pass 8 Gonna be like a broken record here. WR's have to win. Golden up top just gets abused. He played a really good game but he never gets in to anything. Helm dragging across with the safety over the top. This is the correct throw and a very difficult one to make to pick up a 3rd and 9 after a false start. Not in love with the play call. We heard a lot about our speed all year. UGA is just as fast. 24 is beat by Moore and makes up every bit of ground he lost in time to get his hands on Moore's arm. Could have been PI. Ewers is now 5/8

Ewers Pass 9 One of the few times that UGA went to a single high to play the run and Ewers takes the 1 on 1 correctly off of the RPO. How is it RPO? Look at Banks. Seems like Ewers is expecting Wingo to break this off at first but gives him the 1 on 1 anyway. Gets the PI call and it was def PI. 5/9

Ewers Pass 10 (Strip Sack) Ok a lot here to deal with here on this disaster. Corner blitz. Pre-Snap, we have the left half of the field in a man look and the right half of the field in a zone look. Plus we are showing 6 coming at the LOS. This is a great disguise from UGA here. Safety alignment is a beginner level indicator that pressure is coming, only pre-snap this alignment is telling me that the safety is going to have the back. The back is going to block so the down safety is going to be a problem on anything in the over route range. This is all pre snap. Snap happens, pressure comes from the LB and the corner and the edge twists inside to confuse the O-line. This is a great call by Georgia, executed flawlessly. Let's talk about the reads. Quinn is thinking pressure, so it has to be man behind it right? Wrong. We've got man on the left and zone on the right. Quinn thinks he has a 1 on 1 to Helm and he chokes the ball when the corner sinks. At 14:09 on the clip, Quinn needs to stick this in to Bolden. But by the time he comes off of Helm, Bolden will get killed if he forces it in there. So he turns to look back side which is correct, ifff we pick up a 5-man pressure with 6 guys. We don't. We gotta stick it to Bolden. But we also need a better protection call from line. Fumble, turnover.

Ewers Pass 11 (Sack) Back to back disasters. This is the one where Quinn is getting killed for not stepping up. Couple of things. I think it's fair to be critical of him not stepping up sooner. However, his initial movement in the pocket was not wrong. Protection slid right and so did the pocket. All of the route combos are happening on the right side of the field. Nobody is winning. My first thing is that I think this is too long of a developing play to have when you are backed up in your own endzone. 2nd thing, is that Quinn should and did move right. 3rd is that it's an excellent rush on the right side, if he rushes further up the field, Quinn has an alert to get out of there. 3rd is that you just have to be a better athlete to get out of there. I'm not putting this on Banks. Starts with the play call then awareness in the pocket.

Ewers Pass 12 Sark starting to adjust here and a good call. Ball out quick, blockers out front. A lot to manage assignment wise for the defense. Ewers is 6/10.

Ewers Pass 13 Throwback screen. The two most important blocks to get are by 76 and 65 and they block nobody. Majors lets 5 run right to the back.

Ewers Pass 14 Interception. Ewers is clearly rattled here. He's been blown up, damn near gave up a safety. Nobody is getting open but we just need to pick up a first down and get some MO on our side. The back view here is so beautiful. Kirk is right on the corner. This is a man look. Now look at the safety over the top of Golden. Pre-Snap we're thinking pressure off the right, Golden's got a 1 on 1 with a safety a mile back. It's 3rd and 6. Easy cheese right? No, post snap, UGA drops everything and it's zone. IMO Ewers has his mind made up before the snap here. He's going to Golden to get a first down. All eyes from the defense are on Quinn, especially the corner. This should have been a hole shot to Helm. Quinn has clearly not been the same since the CB blitz. 6/12 with a fumble and an INT.

IMO if you were going to sit Quinn, it probably needed to be after this series. Gotta be fair here as well. We can't run the ball we have 1 yard rushing up to this point, WR's are winning at less than a 30% clip, and the O-line is taking their turn blowing assignments like the screen pass above. But we go one more.

Ewers Pass 15 RT is getting bullied. Ball has to come out. We could probably step up and try to hit Moore here but the safety is locked in . It's almost like a clear out for Bond underneath but UGA is in zone and Bond doesn't settle up. Kirby is taking Sark's lunch money. 7/13

Ewers Pass 16- (Sack) I mean, there's only one guy who doesn't get shoved more than 6 yards into the backfield on this pressure from UGA. It's 3rd and 11. Ewers might be able to flip this out to Helm I guess but we need 11 yards. Helm is behind the LOS lol. This is an ass whipping. I'm going to put a second clip in here from the back view. Wow Not a single receiver in view, and when Quinn does go to step up. Wingo has his back to him, Helm is behind the LOS. UGA brings six and drops 5 in to zone a shell.

And that's it for the first half. Ewers is benched. I posted Arch's two series earlier. It's fair to put him on the bench looking for a spark but I think it probably should have happened a series sooner. Even though the last series had nothing to do with Quinn and more to do with play calling and execution. Arch played, there was no spark except for a 21 yard run. He missed wide open targets and finished 3/6 with -1 yard rushing a sack and lost fumble.

There's a lot going around that Quinn had WR's wide open running free. Not hardly. He didn't play well. He missed a couple of reads and had 3 back to back to back rough series. There's no hiding that. The play caller also didn't call plays well and the WR group for all their glory were a bunch of JAG's in the first half. We had 1 yard rushing going into Quinn's last series of the first half. I suppose we can't bench all of our backs and O-line but they all needed a moment. We needed half time about half a quarter sooner than it came.

Last edited:

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.