ADVERTISEMENT

Fall Camp thread

Coaches believe in Watson, Kyler Murray's dad, Kevin, Merricks QB coach, was pushing him to Texas!

Best months of year are almost upon us.

Dove Season: Sept 1st
Texas vs Notre Dame: Sept 5th
Bow Season: Oct 3rd
Rifle Season: Nov 7th

Fall weather, Football, Time in the Field & the Woods. Just gotta figure out how to not have to go to work.

Kennedy Estelle-West Alabama
Darius James-Auburn
Cecil Cherry-South Florida
Desmond Harrison-not on a roster
Kendall Sanders-not on a roster
Joe Bergeron-Texas A&M Commerce
Leroy Scott-not on a roster
Montrel Meander-not on a roster
Jalen Overstreet-Sam Houston State
Chevoski Collins-Scottsdale Community College
Deondrei Davis-not on a roster
Duke Catalon-Houston
MJ McFarland-not on a roster
Chet Moss-not on a roster
Rami Hammad-Baylor
Camhron Hughes-not on a roster
Curtis Riser-Sam Houston State

I will be surprised if James/Hammad ever gets significant playing time at Auburn and Baylor too.

Last edited:
...and Beck is banged up?

Chip....

In addition to RB Johnathan Gray (ankle, elbow) and S DeShon Elliott (toe) and the injuries at TE - Andrew Beck (knee) and Blake Whiteley (ACL) ...

... I'm told LBs Ed Freeman (ankle) and Breckyn Hager (shoulder) are out right now.

I'm told Freeman will probably be out at least a week.

I don´t understand wh Jake Oliver wasn´t moved to TE. He is too slow to play WR but has great hands. Was known for being a beast as a blocker in HS, and he is 6´3 219lbs. It seems likek a no brainer, he will never see the field as a WR. If we would have dedicated the off season to this, we may have a tough 235 lb TE with good ball skills by now. Instead we have a WR who doesn´t crack the 2 deep.

Chip....

In addition to RB Johnathan Gray (ankle, elbow) and S DeShon Elliott (toe) and the injuries at TE - Andrew Beck (knee) and Blake Whiteley (ACL) ...

... I'm told LBs Ed Freeman (ankle) and Breckyn Hager (shoulder) are out right now.

I'm told Freeman will probably be out at least a week.

I don't think the Gray, Freeman, and Hager injuries are all the serious based on what I've read on other boards.

Reactions: TexExSpur
I don´t understand wh Jake Oliver wasn´t moved to TE. He is too slow to play WR but has great hands. Was known for being a beast as a blocker in HS, and he is 6´3 219lbs. It seems likek a no brainer, he will never see the field as a WR. If we would have dedicated the off season to this, we may have a tough 235 lb TE with good ball skills by now. Instead we have a WR who doesn´t crack the 2 deep.

I have been curious about this as well. Unless he has shown no ability to gain weight beyond what he currently has. Some kids are like that, though I think Oliver is happy to be a special teams guy and earn his degree.

Reactions: Godz40Acrez
How many TE's do we have that are actually useful? Excluding McNeal in his new role. Wait it's McNeal right?

From a receiving standpoint Mcneal is the only real threat at TE.

De La Torre, Beck, and Whiteley are never going to be threats in the passing game. They can help in the blocking department though. I've been calling for De La Torre to be utilized more so maybe that will happen now.

From a receiving standpoint Mcneal is the only real threat at TE.

De La Torre, Beck, and Whiteley are never going to be threats in the passing game. They can help in the blocking department though. I've been calling for De La Torre to be utilized more so maybe that will happen now.

Makes sense. I like Alex he is a high school coaches kid and can play almost anywhere and that kid doesn't let things stop him from playing any position. If that kid can run over people I wouldn't see why he couldn't become a strong blocker for the offense.

Reactions: Godz40Acrez
Final Scrimmage Notes
Posted on: August 24, 2015

Texas held their final scrimmage Saturday morning. We spoke to a source who was in attendance and here is what we were told.

– Although the offense had some success early in the scrimmage (Strong mentioned the offense’s success in the post scrimmage meeting with the press), the defense absolutely dominated the offense as the scrimmage went on.

– Was told that the defense started to impose it’s will so much that at a certain point the offense was 1st and around 3 and the defense held them for 4 straight downs.

– Am told at that time, it was a bit of a mixture of first and second team players. Was also told that Heard took a snap and attempted to run the ball in. He apparently tried to hit the corner and Holton Hill ran him down and tackled him just before he got into the end zone.

– I’m told that Holton Hill and Kris Boyd both look the part. Am told they look “very natural and comfortable”. Apparently at certain points they were out there together.

– Am told Duke Thomas was suited up but only took reps early on in the scrimmage.

– Also Jonathan Gray sat out. I’m told he was fine. It sounds like it was more of a case of trying to get the young guys reps.

– Did not get a list of the entire 1st team offensive line but was told that Vahe ran with the 1s at RG and Perkins was at RT

Swoopes took all the first team reps and I’m told he just looks more in command of the offense than Heard. Was told that he did drops his eyes a few times at the snap which is something that got him in trouble last year but he quickly looked up and got his head down field. The protection broke down a lot and he made some plays with his feet (more on that later).

– Was told that the offense seems to be simplified in that, similar to the way Boykin (TCU) played last year, Swoopes seems to be looking at two subsequent targets and if it’s not there he’s taking off. Again, that is something we saw early from TCU last season as they got Boykin comfortable. He’d look to two targets, if it wasn’t there, he’d use his feet to make sure they got positive yardage.

– I’m told that the defensive line was absolutely dominant. Early in fall camp when Ridgeway was out there were reports that the offensive line was winning a lot of battles. With Ridgeway in there, it’s another story.

– Apparently Ridgeway played like a man possessed. A source said that on one play he got into the backfield, grabbed the running back and threw him to the ground but not before he stripped the ball. He apparently recovered the fumble and ran it back for a touchdown.

– Was told Dorian Leonard had a nice catch which was positive since there had been some reports earlier in fall camp that he had struggled a bit with his hands.

– Source said the defense had at least two INTs but neither were thrown by Swoopes. Source said that they believe one of the INTs was made by Adrian Colbert but couldn’t recall.

– I’m also told that 3rd string quarterback Kai Locksley looked really good in Saturday’s scrimmage. Was told that he has a nice pocket presence, stands tall and doesn’t panic. Had at least one TD pass and am told would’ve had another but the receiver couldn’t quite haul it in. Source said that Locksley looks like he could be a really good quarterback for Texas down the road. “He didn’t look like a freshman”.

– Generally the offense was looking to run the ball a lot. A lot of read option stuff. But again, it was apparently difficult as the defensive line were playing out of their minds. And Ridgeway according to a source “looks like a first rounder”.

Reactions: CoachEmUp64
yes...and yes

disclaimer past performance is not a guarantee of future results

I didn't realize this was just Howe's take. I thought the Strong released a depth chart and he was tweeting it. That's was a stupid assumption by me now that I think about it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT