ADVERTISEMENT

Fall Camp thread

I think ultimately Tank ends up starting, but Boyette has definitely performed well, to the point where he may very well take that job. This is great considering there is a chance we lose both Tank and Ridge next year, Boyette will become our anchor.

I understand this is Howes take on who will start and play but after all the raves of McNeal during camp I don't understand how he can be left off the TE and WR list

I understand this is Howes take on who will start and play but after all the raves of McNeal during camp I don't understand how he can be left off the TE and WR list
Agree. He may not be a "starter". But they use him a lot as a flex TE//WR near the line. The way Aggie used Swopes. Tech had a guy with a similar role his name escapes me

I don't understand why McNeal was left off. To me, he is a threat anywhere on the field but this is not Strong's projection. It' Howe. So im ok with that

I think you guys are over estimate McNeal as a true freshmen. This isn't t say he isn't a fantastic talent im just saying he still hasn't found a position. I absolutely think he will end up being a weapon for Texas but im just not sure it will be this season. I don't see him as an in line TE, I have always thought fullback/H back much like OU used Millard.

I think you guys are over estimate McNeal as a true freshmen. This isn't t say he isn't a fantastic talent im just saying he still hasn't found a position. I absolutely think he will end up being a weapon for Texas but im just not sure it will be this season. I don't see him as an in line TE, I have always thought fullback/H back much like OU used Millard.

I don't think it's an overestimating McNeal as much as it is just not having any big body in front of him that can make plays. We don't have a TE or H back/fullback that can make a play. He's probably the only option we have to create a mismatch from that position.

The reason McNeal was left off the 2 deep is because he was recently moved back to WR...or specifically, he will be in a "hybred"position.He simply isnt big enough yet to be a TE, but that will come. Dont worry...he isnt over rated, the opposite in fact is true...He will play, we will just have to wait and see where.

Nah, flex TE/WR.

We're basically saying the same thing. I just sub FB for WR.
I see more of a Hernandez in the making, subtract the thug mentality.

He will see reps at f-TE and the Bluiett to y-TE is an experiment other than him having prior experience, I'm sure he'll get in for some blocking assignments, but I bet it will be 2 TE sets with McNeal in the formation. He'll be too much for most LB's and safety's to handle.

I see more of a Hernandez in the making, subtract the thug mentality.

He will see reps at f-TE and the Bluiett to y-TE is an experiment other than him having prior experience, I'm sure he'll get in for some blocking assignments, but I bet it will be 2 TE sets with McNeal in the formation. He'll be too much for most LB's and safety's to handle.

My thought is he is not one of your top 3-5 wr's so who does he take snaps from when you have an in line TE on the field? That's were I am struggling figuring out where he plays. Now if you 4 wide with him at flex with Burt, Daje and Foreman on the field and motion him into the backfield or match him up with a linebacker in the passing game im with you, I think that's his best use

My thought is he is not one of your top 3-5 wr's so who does he take snaps from when you have an in line TE on the field? That's were I am struggling figuring out where he plays. Now if you 4 wide with him at flex with Burt, Daje and Foreman on the field and motion him into the backfield or match him up with a linebacker in the passing game im with you, I think that's his best use
You sure know a lot about our team, aggy. Just sayin. You could be a fan.

Lol, I am a football fan. If I were the coach that to me would be how to maximize McNeal and the talent you have on offense. Single back 4 wide with McNeal as one of the 4 as an H Back could produce IMO.

Reactions: Scholz
Come on over to the good guys, pooch. You already know our squad. ;)

Anybody else not comfortable with the SS position? I'm not crazy at all about Haines and Colbert. Need to see Elliot put them on the bench.

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
- Monday and Tuesday were both reportedly full-pads to start post-fall-camp workouts.

- Freshman OL Buck Major has been working with third group this week and "mixing in" with the two's - which is different than the previous week and Saturday scrimmage when Major was reportedly getting more significant work with the two's at LT. All you can figure is that maybe Wickline was throwing Major into the fire with the two's to start to see how Major reacted. Tinkering. Marcus Hutchins and Tristan Nickelson were reportedly mostly working with the second-group at the tackles on Monday and Tuesday, a grouping that seems likely to be the second-team personnel for Week 1.

- The starting OL remains (L to R) Williams, Flowers, Doyle, Vahe, Perkins. At this point, any changes would be a surprise. Which is ... surprising.

- DE Shiro Davis reportedly had a good practice Monday, and it seems like people are talking about him more - like he's actually looked better and better through the preseason. Apparently, he showed good pass-rush moves on Nickelson and Connor Williams both in drills. Davis has looked good in practice/camp settings before, though. In 2015, he's going to be depended upon to actually live up to his physical potential when it counts.

- The secondary remains unchanged in nickel and base with the starters per multiple sources - John Bonney usually as the LCB in base and Antwuan Davis as the LCB in nickel when Bonney goes to nickel CB for now.

- CBs Kris Boyd and Devante Davis have reportedly been "switching sides" back and forth with the two's. OB was told that Holton Hill is still "working with the three's," but one person also said he was definitely at least working in with the two's at points. Either way, Boyd and Davis still seem ahead of Hill, despite Hill looking like the prospect who could develop into the most special - at least physically. Hill did get a late start to fall camp, so the whole situation should clearly be considered as still developing.

- DT Hassan Ridgeway is getting healthier and healthier it seems - one person said he's starting to make impact with the "first" defensive line (along with Desmond Jackson) now that both are back working with the one's. Apparently, it's making it a little tougher to run the football in practice than it was to start camp.

- RB Chris Warren continues to look really good per several sources; you have to pencil him in as seeing at least decent 2015 playing time at this point. People around practice just love how hard he runs and it's been more-than-evident at practices open to the media.

- My biggest concern with Warren's high school film was his upright style that would seem to give defenders too big a target at the college level as he's a big, tall runner. Sometimes those kinds of runners can get decleated and worse. However, Warren runs behind his pads with some power and always pumps his knees through contact. He doesn't present half the surface-area to defenders in the box that I had envisioned.

- Former DE Caleb Bluiett is indeed working with TEs but is still "getting (his) feet wet."

Reactions: HornosaurusRex
Elliott was pushing for Hall's safety spot more than Haines' spot. Based on practice reports Haines is our most reliable safety in pass coverage.

Strong said that Colbert has been balling. It has been a mental thing with him, because his athletic ability is second to none. I hope he gets a chance to shine...dude can scoot and he can hit.

I hope Colbert is getting better. We need a physical SS. I don't trust Haines with his poor tackling.

I hope Colbert is getting better. We need a physical SS. I don't trust Haines with his poor tackling.
I love the story and attitude of Haines, but you're right - his tackling was atrocious last year. I will say that, from recent pictures of Haines, The Dread Pat Moorer seems to have had a profound impact on him. Hopefully, this mean he'll have better stopping results.

dreadpatmoorer.gif

Reactions: CoachEmUp64
I love the story and attitude of Haines, but you're right - his tackling was atrocious last year. I will say that, from recent pictures of Haines, The Dread Pat Moorer seems to have had a profound impact on him. Hopefully, this mean he'll have better stopping results.

dreadpatmoorer.gif

I think Dylan just needed some more motivation and a year under Moorer for strength. I feel that the coaches have worked with him to help him out. He did have younger guys pushing him so that probably made him better and more of a college football player then a walk on or a regular guy on the scout team. He is still our starter for the beginning of the season. Only time will tell during the season. I have faith in the kid.

Post-Fall Camp Roster and Depth Chart Breakdown

Part I: OFFENSE

(Part II: DEFENSE will be posted separately over the weekend)

Quarterback

Tyrone Swoopes held onto the starting QB job through the summer and fall camp, as Jerrod Heard failed to capitalize on the momentum he’d generated through the spring which sparked the onset of a QB competition.

Personnel:

1. Tyrone Swoopes (junior) - He’s held on to the QB job by default through camp as the player who’s looked like the best passer and the one that QBs coach Shawn Watson seems to view as his next redemption story. Fans ask if Swoopes is making better decisions in QB read-option concepts where he struggled in 2014, but the truth is, we just haven’t seen quite as much of the read-option in practice as expected thus far - at least not at the ones open to the media. Swoopes admitted in 2014 that he was afraid of getting hit and he had a meek presence and voice in the locker room. After an offseason of at least acting like he’s changed into a more vocal and active leader, the true test will come once the team takes the field in South Bend.

2. Jerrod Heard (redshirt freshman) - He’s failed to step up and win a QB competition, but, as we’ve heard from Coach Strong over and over and over again since spring, “Both (QBs) will play” in 2015 - and versus Notre Dame. If Tyrone Swoopes is incapable of truly changing his stripes and reverts back to the pathetic level of play fans witnessed at times in 2014, fans will see Heard on the field very quickly.

- Kai Locksley (true freshman) - If he doesn’t redshirt, it will likely mean things went seriously wrong at the QB position in 2015 … which wouldn’t be that new around here given recent history.

- Matthew Merrick (true freshman) - Sure to redshirt.

. . .

Running Back

The unit that Charlie Strong believes is one of the true strengths of the team includes one of the Longhorns’ most important veterans followed by a valuable and diverse stable of young talent.

Personnel:

1. Johnathan Gray (senior) - He’s one of the team’s best players and a preseason watch-list nominee for most of the major RB awards as well as the Senior Bowl. Charlie Strong has hinted that he believes Gray is the team’s best player, and certainly the one he feels the staff will lean on heavily through 2015 despite a relative lack of practice through the preseason. No matter what fans think of Gray (who’s been hampered by various injuries through much of his Texas career), Strong sees him as a superstar.

2. D’onta Foreman (sophomore) - His progression has been one of the biggest storylines of the 2015 preseason through spring and fall alike. Foreman is a one-cut runner with great vision, power and balance to go with extremely underrated natural speed. Foreman’s become more decisive and confident in his assignments and is beginning to look like a player who’ll finish his career at Texas as a household-name among Longhorns fans assuming continued health.

3. Chris Warren (true freshman) - He’s a monster who’s surpassed all reasonable expectations since his June arrival in Austin. Warren, like Foreman, is a big back who runs with power, authority, and natural vision. Also like Foreman, Warren’s faster and more athletic than people would think for such a big young player. He also has a nice wiggle to him; and an ability to get small and squirt to the second-level between the tackles. He’s got to be a headache to deal with as a linebacker, because he runs behind his pads and keeps his knees moving through contact.

- Kirk Johnson (true freshman) - He’s been impressive through camp by all accounts but may be in line to redshirt given talent in front of him unless there’s a case to be made to have him on special teams. A Johnathan Gray injury would likely mean playing time for Johnson. At this time, it seems hard to imagine any of the players listed above would come off the field in favor of Johnson, though.

- Tristian Houston (true freshman) - Very likely to redshirt.

. . .

Outside Wide Receiver

The Texas staff is looking for playmakers to step up on the offensive perimeter in 2015, be it through new additions or through seasoned players finally ascending to reach their (mostly untapped) physical potentials.

Personnel:

1a. Marcus Johnson (senior) - He’s always been a camp all-star but 2015 will be Johnson’s last shot coming to prominence when it counts in the real games. As of now, he’s noted as one of the team’s hardest workers, key leaders and the only receiver in the entire room that seems to have the complete trust of new WRs coach Jay Norvell.

1b. Armanti Foreman (sophomore) - He’s shown in flashes as a freshman that he has the ability to absolutely break a football game open in the Big 12 with his speed, suddenness and elusive nature, both as a route-runner and with the ball in his hands. Foreman was a bit of a surprise ascender into the upper-echelon of the WR group coming into 2015 as the staff did not seem to trust him much as a freshman. This is clearly a new year, though.

1c. John Burt (true freshman) - He’s the second-biggest story of the summer and fall camp. John Burt has a 100-percent chance of being an above-average player for Texas and a terrific shot at being remembered as downright special. His hands might be the best on the team, his suddenness and ability to separate at the route’s transition point is definitely the best on the team and he’s already being targeted heavily by every quarterback that he works with. He’s the kind of player a QB just wants to throw the ball to because you know he’s going to make a play on it.

2a. Dorian Leonard (sophomore) - He lost the trust of WRs coach Jay Norvell in the spring game by showing off a lack of concentration and dropping easy footballs. Leonard has also been noted as making a few drops through camp amid flashes of electric (and even acrobatic) ability. The issue with Leonard, and what will ultimately determine his amount of 2015 playing time, will be his level of consistency.

2b. Lorenzo Joe (sophomore) - It’s been a quiet fall camp for Joe, who many thought would be likely to step into a spot in the starting rotation for 2015 after showing solidly in his true freshman season and through spring ball. Joe is a fluid athlete with good instincts and understanding of assignments, but seems to be, at least so far, more dependable than explosive.

2c. Deandre McNeal (true freshman) - He’s one of the most intriguing players on the team coming into the 2015 season, as no player on the roster is capable of representing chances for such substantial matchup nightmares as McNeal. He’ll line up all over the formation and get snaps at TE as well, but as I’ve predicted since early summer, McNeal will likely see the opportunity to have his most significant impact during the 2015 season at receiver as a wild card and offensive weapon.

3a. Ty Templin (junior) - He was a camp all-star in 2014 but with the additions of so many new talented receiving weapons, Templin’s mostly been an afterthought through fall camp. It should be noted that Templin is a terrific athlete and a great depth player.

3b. Garrett Gray (redshirt freshman) - He’s had trouble finding a place since coming to Texas and appears buried on the depth chart. The staff seems to have given up on the idea it initially had - of trying out Gray at the TE position - as evidenced by a personnel-desperation-move of Caleb Bluiett to offense post-Blake Whiteley injury. Gray will be a candidate for eventual attrition if dead-set on earning early playing time as he’s already been passed up by Burt and seemingly even McNeal.

3c. Jake Oliver (sophomore) - See above regarding Gray. He’s in a very similar situation.
. . .

Slot Wide Receiver

One of the biggest “playmaking” positions on the Texas offense, the “H” receiver is deep with personnel that can be described with one word: speed.

Personnel:

1. Daje Johnson (senior) - He’s been such an enigmatic presence on the Texas football team that Charlie Strong literally has to “knock on wood” when giving Johnson compliments. There should be a picture of Daje Johnson in the Longhorns football dictionary next to “unrealized potential” right next to D.J. Monroe. 2015 will be his last chance to change that.

2a. Jacorey Warrick (sophomore) - He’s had a quiet camp as there was a little bit of time missed with injury early on. Warrick was beginning to emerge as a star during the spring, though, and should be a player in line to contribute fairly heavily in 2015.

2b. Roderick Bernard (sophomore) - Following a late-2015 injury during a kick return, he’s back into football-form and doesn’t seem to have lost a step speed-wise. He’s an absolute burner. “Hot Rod” should be watched every time he’s in the game at the slot position as a speed-option or end-around threat. Defenses have to compensate for his speed when presented this action, even if he doesn’t end up getting the football.

3. Ryan Newsome (true freshman) - Speaking of burners, Newsome looks like he’s got a jet-pack on when he’s running. Newsome doesn’t necessarily figure into to getting substantial playing time on offense, but he should get at least some as a freshman. Where he’s likely to make his biggest on-field contributions in 2015 is in the return-game if he can earn that job.

. . .

Tight End (H-Back - Fullback)

The TE position at Texas remains, thanks to recent injuries and a lack of acceptable recruiting in Mack Brown’s final years, an apparent mixed-parts junkyard.

Personnel:

1a. Andrew Beck (sophomore) - He’s a converted linebacker who the staff feels strongly will be a great contributor, but Beck still getting accustomed to the nuances of being an offensive player.

1b. Alex De La Torre (senior) - He’s a punch-you-in-the-mouth fullback who falls into the “tight end” category as the position at Texas in 2015 will be a versatile tight end/H-back/sniffer-back combination. Expect De La Torre to get the most playing time of all “TEs” when Texas is deploying a run-heavy game plan or set or series.

1c. Caleb Bluiett (senior) - Another transitioned defensive player who was actually one of the most disruptive players Texas had on the field in 2014 defensively per The Deep Dig. His shift to tight end is a loss for the defense and goes to show the level of desperation occurring around the TE position coming into 2015. New TEs coach Jeff Traylor has his work cut out for him in his first year in Austin.

. . .

Offensive Line

The chicken-egg argument of who caused the pathetic display of Texas offense in 2014 involved the offensive line opposite Tyrone Swoopes, but with young new players in tow - and a major overhaul to the starting personnel - fans are in line to see improvement within the group.

Personnel:

LT 1: Connor Williams (true freshman) - He’s one of the bright spots of the Texas football team’s future. Williams has outstanding feet, terrific balance and technician-like natural understanding of leverage. He’s a high-motor player in the run-game which makes up for the small lack of core strength that should be expected in any freshman tackle. Williams has a strong initial punch he places well and has tremendous upside unlike any Texas fans have seen in recent years at tackle.

LT 2: Marcus Hutchins (senior) - He was the second-weakest link of the 2014 offensive line as starting LT and seems (for now) to have taken a back seat in the rotation, thanks to the insertion of Patrick Vahe at the RG and the shifting that ensued.

LG 1: Sedrick Flowers (senior) - He’s the offensive line’s vocal leader, the third-strongest player on the team in the weight room and the lineman the Texas staff always mentions first when speaking of important veteran presences. Flowers has not shown his great strengthfunctionally on a football field to this point - and had numerous issues in 2014 across all aspects of his game. If the staff is banking on him being a key cog and contributor on the Texas offense in 2015, Flowers will need to have improved through his final offseason at Texas.

LG 2: Elijah Rodriguez (redshirt freshman) - He was awful in the spring game, and I mean awful. However, Rodriguez has been a player through camp that the staff has been very impressed with. He was hampered by injury for a portion of fall camp but that seems to be mostly in the rear-view now.

C 1: Taylor Doyle (senior) - He is, believe it or not, the best current Texas offensive lineman IF based on average assignment grade per game and disruption allowed per snap according to the maniacs at The Deep Dig. Doyle is one of the offense’s most important returning veterans, and a player who could begin to start scoring in the undrafted free agent-area of The Deep Dig’s OL grading scales in the 2015 season if progression continues.

C 2: Jake Raulerson (sophomore) - He has the best footwork on the team but strength at the point-of-attack in 2014 was a major issue for Raulerson, and the likely reasoning behind Doyle’s eventual move from guard to center. Raulerson has gained strength in the offseason, though, and is now reportedly at the same level strength-wise as Doyle, at least in the weight room. Raulerson could very well push Doyle for major playing time in 2015 and remains a very important part of the unit’s future as the de facto center-in-waiting for the 2016 and 2017 seasons.

RG 1: Patrick Vahe (true freshman) - Another huge story of fall camp, Orangebloods.com broke the news of Vahe’s insertion into the first group on August 13. Now, exactly two weeks later, seemingly nothing has changed and Vahe projects as the starter. From what we’ve seen in practices open to the media, he’s been good in the run-game because he’s strong and he’s big with a motor to him. He doesn’t loaf on the back side of zone plays and he looks for work the whole time between whistles. Charlie Strong indicated at his availability last week that where Vahe struggles is in pass-protection.

RG 2: Brandon Hodges (junior) - He’s a JUCO transfer who figures into the two-deep here at guard, but has the versatility to kick out to either of the tackle positions as he played at the LT in the spring game and in junior college. He’s more natural at guard than at tackle. He’s had a good preseason and given his positional versatility, Hodges is a player who could easily be seen filling in with the ones at multiple positions should an injury occur.

RT 1: Kent Perkins (junior) - He’s the second-strongest player on the team and a player who struggled badly at times in 2014 while playing “out of position” at RT. Watch back the 2014 UCLA game for example, and you’ll see the realistic downside of Perkins at tackle as a pass-protector. However, he’s the offensive line’s best player by the eyeballs - and if kicking him out to RT allows Joe Wickline to get the five best players into the lineup, you can bet he’ll do it. Wickline has said all along finding that best five is the goal. A right side of Vahe and Perkins has potential be to road-grading.

RT 2: Tristan Nickelson (sophomore) - He came in as a JUCO transfer - raw as can be - and had notable balance issues as a pass-protector in his film. Nickelson has seemingly had a really good camp, though, and has been worked at both the left and the right tackle, reportedly - but always with the two's. He’s so tall at 6-8 so it’s easy for him to get overextended, but it’s clear from all we’re hearing that he’s worked on it and making progress. Nickelson’s wingspan looks like a pterodactyl, so it obviously gives him a great ability to use his length on the edge counter counter pass-rushers if he stays balanced.

- Ronnie Major (true freshman) - He’s an impressive player that got a lot of work with the second group in fall camp after making a very late arrival on campus. However, it looks like he could be headed for a redshirt season if the depth in front of him holds up through 2015.

- Guards Alex Anderson (redshirt freshman) and Terrell Cuney (redshirt freshman) currently represent deeper scholarship options on the depth chart with the third-unit. (Dunlap)

From watching Vahe last year at Trinity when they played Permian in playoffs you could just see something special in him and that he was going to be a starter. Come game day I bet he will man handle someone and toss them to the side. Those Tongan boys are just a different type of human!

Post-Fall Camp Roster and Depth Chart Breakdown

Part I: OFFENSE

(Part II: DEFENSE will be posted separately over the weekend)
Interior Defensive Line

The deepest position group on the Texas roster.

Personnel:

DT 1a: Hassan Ridgeway (junior) - He’s the best player on the current Texas roster from an NFL scouting perspective and comes into the 2015 season as a definite candidate to leave school early for the league … IF a few conditions are met.

Ridgeway has been nursing a back ailment through most of camp, but now appears mostly fine, and close to over it. You begin to wonder how “over it” Ridgeway really is, though, considering he missed substantial time in the spring as well.

NFL scouts last season would say that they’d discovered Ridgeway while watching tape on Malcom Brown - and more than one scout told me through the 2015 draft process that they thought Ridgeway might have more NFL-upside than Brown. One former Longhorns teammate (on the offensive line) told me that Ridgeway was much harder to block in practice than Brown.

The issue with Ridgeway has always been an off-switch and a lack of consistent intensity through longer spells of games. The initial release of the Notre Dame depth chart features Poona Ford ahead of Ridgeway at tackle, which was, by far, the biggest surprise on the entire sheet of paper. This is a clear indication that, while Ridgeway might be basically back to full health as we’ve heard from sources at practice, conditioning and/or off-switch disease are likely to blame.

I said at this time last year that Malcom Brown would be a first-round pick, but I’m not comfortable giving near that prediction about Ridgeway at this time. The reasons are: 1) Malcom Brown’s motor was undeniable while Ridgeway’s remains a concern; and 2) Ridgeway has had issues staying healthy - and a nagging condition could effectively aid in derailing what Longhorns fans certainly hope will be a monster junior year.

DT 1b: Poona Ford (sophomore) - You might as well call him 1a for the Notre Dame game, because apparently that's what he is. Ford’s gotten valuable first-team reps basically all spring and through fall camp (at both the one and three-technique) due to health issues with Ridgeway and Tank Jackson. Ford finished the 2014 season as a disruptive force on the Texas defense and followed that up with a monster spring game. There is a falloff in level-of-athlete from Ridgeway to Ford, but Ford certainly brings things to the table in motor, length-of-arms and flexibility that Ridgeway doesn’t.

DT 3: Chris Nelson (redshirt freshman) - He’s a big guy who one source from practice texted saying was “dominating” - at least on one day. Another person said he plays with a low anchor and is hard to move. Nelson was held back a slight bit to start 2015 fall camp, but has since returned to full participation in practices that have not been open to the media. The number of positive reports on Nelson have been notable. He’s likely the “fifth man” of the interior DL unit coming into the 2015 season as he’s currently working at tackle, but could presumably handle duties at nose given his reported ability to anchor well against the run.

DT 4: Jake McMillon (redshirt freshman) - He’s worked at both DE and DT during his time at Texas, but it seems that as of 2015, he’s officially an interior-line player. McMillon, from what we’ve seen at practice, seems to have good feet and movement abilities but is not long - in fact, he’s relatively squatty in stature. For this reason, it’s hard to see the staff bumping him out to SDE, which would make sense given a lack of quality depth there. As it is, McMillon, Nelson and Alex Norman collectively serve as this group’s “depth” backing up the “Big 4” of the Texas interior; Ridgeway, Jackson, Ford and Boyette.

NT 1: Desmond “Tank” Jackson (senior) - He’s the strongest player on the team who can reportedly already bench press 225 pounds 33 times. Jackson is on the Senior Bowl watch list and a player who’s insertion back into the Texas DL rotation greatly mitigated much of the sting surrounding Malcom Brown’s foregoing of his senior season. Jackson started fall camp working with the second group, but has since returned, alongside Ridgeway and Ford, to the starter’s spot. Jackson comes into the 2015 season with realistic hopes of being drafted in 2016 should he remain healthy.

NT 2: Paul Boyette (junior) - One of the line’s key returning players, he’s likely to see snap-counts in the near-40-percent range through the season if healthy. Boyette played 237 snaps in the conference schedule last season and only missed one tackle. He was also in the Top 5 of 2014 Texas defenders in disruption-per-snap per The Deep Dig.

NT 3: Alex Norman (junior) - He’s struggled to stay healthy for his entire career at Texas and figures in as the player least-likely to make any sort of real in impact in 2015 of the grouping.

. . .

Strong-Side Defensive End

The Texas defense’s least-talented and shallowest position group.

Personnel:

1. Shiro Davis (senior) - Is he finally ready to live up to his physical potential? It’s the question fans have asked about Shiro Davis for the last three seasons - and the answer each time has eventually been “Nope.” Davis played an unspectacular 144 Big 12 snaps in 2014 only generating three disruptive plays while missing two tackles.

The reports from camp about Davis have been glowing so far, which is good news, but they’ve been mostly glowing in the past, too. Davis started his junior season (and Charlie Strong’s first at Texas) lining up at the starting FOX position opposite Cedric Reed until it was realized Davis could not move well enough in space to handle linebacker/end-hybird position. After switching back over to the strong side to back up Reed in 2014, Davis was the second-least disruptive player per snap on the entire Texas defense besides …

2. Bryce Cottrell (junior) - He had an absolutely monster spring game and the staff, coming into fall camp, talked about him like a player it was expecting to make a big jump from 2014 to 2015. Charlie Strong at his first game-week availability of the 2015 season said Monday that he’d had an incredible camp.

Cottrell is not a special player physically and was tied as the least impactful per-snap player during the 2014 season (through minimal playing time) per The Deep Dig’s disruption metrics. The strong-side defensive end position at Texas being predominantly handled by Cottrell and Davis should be considered a liability until proven otherwise.

3. Quincy Vasser (junior) - Sticking with the theme of the underachieving position group, he’s a JUCO transfer who came in looking fantastic but hasn’t done a thing to truly inspire any confidence since.

Vasser has been a complete non-factor in practices open to the media during spring and fall camps. The fact that we’ve heard no positive reports - or really anything - on Vasser through all of the closed practices leading into game-week would indicate that he hasn’t done enough to make any waves, even given the lack of quality depth ahead of him. In all, this is the weakest spot on the Texas defense.

Edge-setting SDE-types should be a major focus of the Texas staff in recruiting as there are currently no other players in the pipeline. It is highly likely a true freshman will see at least some playing time at the position in 2016. Or, perhaps a a player who transitions over from the …

. . .

Fox Defensive End

A young, talented and versatile stable at all levels gives Texas both near- and long-term stability at its most versatile position.

Personnel:

1. Naashon Hughes (sophomore) - He’s a major stud in the making - in fact, it’s almost hard to believe Hughes is only entering his sophomore season. It’s clear he’s being molded in a way that NFL teams will value for roles like dime linebacker.

Hughes has drawn glowing reviews through camp and he’s a player that Charlie Strong has been quoted as calling “unbelievable” on more than one occasion. In fact, I was asked during a recent chat which player on the entire Texas roster represents the greatest loss if injured due to the dropoff proven in talent that would occur with their loss. Hughes was the easy answer. While there is talent behind him, it is anything but proven now that Caleb Bluiett (one of the 2014 defense’s most disruptive players per-snap) has been forced to move to tight end for depth reasons. Hughes simply can’t get hurt.

2a. Derick Roberson (redshirt freshman) - He came into fall camp with a ton of excitement. I reported in July that Roberson was looking extremely beastly in team-led activities coming off of shoulder surgery, and we’ve seen at practices open to the media it was true. Roberson has undergone a transformation physically that is a sight to behold - going from around 215-220 pounds to over 240 in a matter of months.

For as good as Roberson looks, it almost seems like he’d been in the doghouse from a lack of buzz. One source from practice, just in the last week, indicated that Roberson was working behind Charles Omenihu. Roberson had academic issues that Strong hinted at during fall camp, so perhaps his lack of impact through August have to do with missing practices for study halls and the like.

Clearly, Roberson’s done enough academically to stay eligible as he’s been on the field and practicing as recently as last Friday per a source - but for whatever reason, a major breakout has been delayed and will hopefully (for fans and the staff alike) come about at some point in-season - as Roberson will most certainly be expected to contribute.

It’s a positive indication that Roberson was one of the players who Strong mentioned in his season-opening availability as really standing out to him through camp. Strong doesn’t talk like that about players he doesn’t see something in. Furthermore, if he was not confident in the abilities of both Roberson and Omenihu, Charlie Strong - a man who puts defense above all else - would have never shipped Caleb Bluiett off to the offense side.

2b. Charles Omenihu (true freshman) - He came into fall camp and surpassed all reasonable expectations. Omenihu indicated to The Deep Dig in May, that coming into his true-freshman season, a redshirt-year was likely on deck as he’d need time to truly “grow into” his body. This was, of course, in a goal of becoming a long and beastly presence and eventually taking over the SDE position down the road.

What no one knew or expected (probably even the coaching staff), was that Omenihu would be so versatile and move so well right off. Strong has constantly commented on Omenihu’s ability to drop into coverage and use his length to disrupt passing lanes … And the staff has gotten to see plenty of Omenihu this fall to form an opinion.

With Naashon Hughes missing nearly a week of practices to undergo a root canal, Roberson having study halls and Caleb Bluiett leaving, Charles O. has actually taken his fair share of first-team reps. It seems to be a foregone conclusion at this point that Omenihu will be one of numerous true freshman Texas fans will be seeing on the field, at least during points of the 2015 season.

. . .

Linebacker

A mixed bag of young and old players that, despite excitement about depth and what the future may hold, remains 100-percent unproven at this time.

Personnel:

MLB 1: Malik Jefferson (true freshman) - He’s the absolute story of spring and fall camp. It’s hard to come into a freshman season (admittedly as an early-enrollee) and come out of fall camp not only a starter but basically the heart of the defense, but Jefferson is just that kind of player, person and presence. Truly special is the only real way to define it. Jefferson will be the team’s starting mike linebacker to start the 2015 season - and it might be one of only three seasons he plays at Texas so my recommendation would be to enjoy watching and cheering for him while he’s here.

MLB 2: Tim Cole (junior) - He lost his job to Malik Jefferson during fall camp after stepping into the starting mike role for spring practices following the exit of Dalton Santos with ankle injury. Cole is a spirited player that brings some thump, but is not the caliber of athlete who will keep a player like Jefferson off of the field. Cole missed time in fall camp with an undisclosed injury, but, per sources, has been back practicing fully for the last two weeks or so. The missed time was enough to let Jefferson truly take hold of the role. At this point int time, Cole represents valuable depth - but not proven depth - as he only played three snaps of conference play in 2014; two versus Kansas State and one versus Kansas.

WLB 1: Peter Jinkens (senior) - He’s going to be handling “double duty” per Charlie Strong in 2015, meaning, Jinkens will start at the SAM linebacker position when the defense is aligned in its base 4-3 grouping and at the inside WILL position when in nickel. In short, it is looking like Jinkens will be the player with the highest snap percentages of any on the front 7. Considering the fact that he only played 73 conference snaps in 2014 (Jordan Hicks played 566 by comparison), Jinkens’ suitability to be a reasonable contributor at the Big 12-level will be one of the most important storylines to the team’s success on a defensive unit full of them.

WLB 2: Edwin Freeman (redshirt freshman) - He was a monster on scout team at the SAM linebacker position during practice as a true freshman per Jordan Hicks. Freeman, like Jefferson, some plenty of run with the first group during fall camp, but has failed to yet overtake Jinkens as the starting WILL linebacker when the team shifts to nickel. When the unit is in its base 4-3 that employs three linebackers, all indications are that Freeman will come and fill in at the inside WILL position while Jinkens bumps out to SAM. In essence, this leads to a projection of playing time for Freeman that would be equivalent to the 10-15% clip that fans saw Jinkens operating at in 2014 when Jinkens would come in as the SAM in base 4-3.

Depth

- Dalton Santos (senior) - He’s never fully recovered from the ankle injury suffered in spring camp and it’s very fair to begin wondering if he’s played his last meaningful snap at Texas given the young depth coming up on the team.

- Anthony Wheeler (true freshman) - He’s been a staple of the second-LB unit through camp at the WILL linebacker position. Wheeler’s 2015 playing time will likely be based on the health of the players ahead of him on the depth chart. Wheeler is a magnificent athlete that has a higher physical upside than Edwin Freeman, so it’s reasonable to envision a 2016 starting LB duo of Malik Jefferson at the MIKE and Wheeler at the WILL.

- Breckyn Hager (true freshman) - He plays with maniacal effort and it’s clear that Charlie Strong notices it. Hager was the MVP of the first padded practice of fall camp that was open to the media making huge plays as both a pass-rusher and a pass-defender in coverage. However, Hager has struggled with injuries through camp. He returned to practice in the last week or so only to reportedly be back in the pit again as of Friday. Playing with such reckless abandon is an attribute of Hager’s game that is easy to love, but he’ll need to learn how to harness it in ways that do not put his body at great risk if he plans to stay on the field.

- Cameron Townsend (true freshman) - He’s quietly had a really good camp lining up mostly at the SAM linebacker position behind Peter Jinkens when the team employs its base 4-3 personnel. Sources have said that where Townsend shines is in coverage - he has the wheels to get vertical with receivers trying to push the seam and can match the speed of running backs out to the flats and on wheel routes. Fans are likely to see a redshirt season from Townsend as his role is specialized and one that is not used very often due to the wide-open, spread nature of most Big 12 offenses. This is was Edwin Freeman’s exact path, backup SAM his true freshman season while preserving a redshirt.

. . .

Cornerback
Freshman depth has led to a battle at one position that will shape the entire secondary unit.

Personnel:

LCB 1: John Bonney (redshirt freshman) - He’s probably the most impactful redshirt freshman player on the Texas team for 2015. Bonney, as we’ve reported since July, will start at LCB when the team is in its base 4-3 defense and will be bumped in to the nickel position when the team goes to its five-DB package. The only way this would not occur is if the staff elected to use Duke Thomas in the nickel and shift another player to RCB. Regardless, John Bonney will be a 95-98% snap-count player in 2015 so fans might want to get used to the name.

LCB 2a: Antwuan Davis (sophomore) - He’s had a fight on his hands through camp to hold onto the LCB position opposite Duke Thomas when the unit goes to nickel. As it looks now, one or more talented freshman clearly have their eyes on the job and the season-opening depth chart provided for Notre Dame doesn’t give much clarity, as Kris Boyd is listing as backing up Davis, but Davante Davis, who’s listed as backing up Duke Thomas, could be very much in play as the two players have reportedly swapped sides through camp per multiple sources.

LCB 2b: Kris Boyd (true freshman) - He’s a trash-talker and one of the key pieces in the 2015 class as far as bringing a new feeling and intensity to practice. Clearly, Boyd’s put himself in good position with his work this fall.

RCB 1: Duke Thomas (senior) - He’s on the Senior Bowl watch list and he’s a terrific player who got bit bad by the burn bug on a few big plays in 2014. We’ve talked about Thomas getting burned on double moves until we were blue in the face. The staff has done nothing but talk about Thomas’s leadership and enhanced expectations for him this season.

RCB 2: Davante Davis (true freshman) - By the eyeballs, he’s the most impressive freshman DB at the practices open to the media. Reports about Davis have continued to be glowing, but it is unclear how much fans will see of him this season. Outside of injury, it appears that only one cornerback slot is going to be contested through the season and it will very likely be either Davis or Kris Boyd filling it. The staff does not play backups often in the defensive backfield as none of last year’s starters played less than 96% of snaps during conference play.

RCB 3: Bryon Echols (junior) - He’s listed behind Davante Davis on the official depth chart, and at this point in time, it’s only fair to wonder if Echols has underachieved. He has great footwork and he’s a technically sound player, but at some point you start to think he might just not have that dog in him. It’s what Strong is looking for.

RCB 4: Holton Hill (true freshman) - He’s the next person to pass up Bryson Echols on the depth chart and I’m not sure he’ll stop there. Hill got off to a slow start with a minor injury biting into his beginning of fall camp but it’s only a matter of time with this one. Too fast, long and ball-hawking to be ignored.

. . .

Safety
Youth everywhere.

Personnel:

SS 1: Dylan Haines (junior) - He’s the starting strong safety. Period. Whether fans appreciate Haines or not, it’s clear that the staff does not have one worry about its starting safeties in Haines and Jason Hall. Where Haines struggles is in bad pursuit angles and missed tackles which are obvious for fans to see and boo about. And in fairness, neither of them should be acceptable in a defensive scheme that drills both things so much in practice.

Haines averaged exactly one missed tackle on defense per game during Texas’ 2014 Big 12 schedule - by far the team’s leader. If he can improve in this area, there’s no doubt he figures to be a solid contributor.

SS 2: Kevin Vaccaro (junior) - He might have to play if there’s an injury. Vaccaro hasn’t really had a shot to crack into the starting rotation yet with guys like Jason Hall coming in as a freshman and some walk-on named Dylan Haines going gangbusters in front of a new coaching staff last season.

It’s clear from practices open to the media that Vaccaro can easily work at either the strong or free safety position, so this sort of versatility puts Vaccaro squarely in play should an injury occur to either Haines or Hall.

SS 2b: Deshon Elliott (true freshman) - He’s injured. Still in a boot, but off crutches at least, per sources.

FS 1: Jason Hall (sophomore) - He’s going to play in the NFL one day. Hall was told by the Texas staff prior to fall camp that he needed to pick up his game and that they wanted to see more plays like the big body slam against Oklahoma most fans are sure to remember. It’s a motivational tactic, but make no mistake - Hall is the best safety the Texas staff has available to it at this time.

FS 2: P.J. Locke (true freshman) - I’ve said from the start, he’s not going to wow you with physical size, but he’s got feet like a point guard and wait until you see how technical he is. Locke is a special young player who possesses incredible spatial understanding on film and who comes from freaky athletic bloodlines on both his mother and his father’s side.

Simply put, he’s a baller and a playmaker. As I’ve reported through camp, Locke will also be in play at nickel should an injury occur anywhere in the defensive backfield as a result of shuffling that could ensue.

FS 3: Adrian Colbert (junior) - He’s underachieved. Colbert was noted quite a bit through player-led workouts as one of the team leaders helping to set things up and always being vocal, but he’s buried on the depth chart by two younger players.

Ty Templin was given a scholarship tonight. Good for him. Based on the practice reports, he's actually Heard's go to receiver.

I do think we are going to see some attrition at WR though.

Reactions: Godz40Acrez
Ty Templin was given a scholarship tonight. Good for him. Based on the practice reports, he's actually Heard's go to receiver.

I do think we are going to see some attrition at WR though.

I'm all for it. Need to get some of these guys like Leonard that can't catch a cold out of the way anyway. If they're struggling for playing time now, they sure don't wanna be here CJ and Dickson get here.

Reactions: utisdabomb12
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT