ADVERTISEMENT

Family History Research

Son of Wasatch

Jan 9, 2012
I thought I would start a new Thread on family history.

To answer your question Clob, Yes, i am related to Quanah Parker. I have researched my family roots and have gone back over 1000 years in my paternal line. (Father to Son). Through marriages I've gone back much further. I tied into the line of Charles the first of France and his geneology line goes back to 3000 BC. Of course it's all BS, when you go back that far, it was just a fake family tree to make him more kingly.

However going back on my paternal linage that research is pretty solid.

So highlights of my research.

I am the 29th great grandson of William 1 of England. (William the Conqueror)
This makes the the 32 Great grandson of Charles 1 of France.
I am also the 32 great grandson of Lady Gadiva, and I still can't get any free chocolate from them.
I am related by marriage to Geoffery Chaucer.

Coming forward in time. My cousin Patricia Lea was the wife of Sam Houston, and bore him 5 sons. I am related to 2 signers of the Declaration of Independence. Richard Henry Lee and Francis Lightfoot Lee. It is Richard Henry Lee that was the father of Robert E Lee, so I'm related to him as well.

My 6th great grandfather James Lee fought in the Revolutionary war for the states. His son my 5th great grandfather Luke Lee was a Tory and fought for the British. Luke was also a minister for the church of England, that probably had something to do with his choice.

My 5th grand father Luther Jenkins was one of the original 300 in Stephan F Austin's first company, his wife was Rachel Parker who was abducted in the Fort Parker Massacre. Was a slave to the Cheyenne for several years. This is how I am related to Quanah Parker.

I have family members that fought in every war going all the way back to the battle Battle of Hastings where Henry Lancelot DeLee was so valant in battle he was awarded Lands and title. His Grandson fought with Richard the Lionheart in the Great Crusades and for his valance in the Battle of Acre he was also awarded lands and title.

John Adams once commented about my family, "The family of Lee has more men of merit in it than any other family".

John Adams 2nd US President 1779

In short, my family had a direct hand in the independence of this country and in the fight for Texas. Independence.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Dude..... this is fvcking hyper-cool. If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take you to do this research and how did you accomplish finding all of these records?

Years of research, I found census records, marriage, birth and death certificates. Going to genealogy libraries and viewing countless microfiche records.

I can tell you with the internet today, it is so much easier to do family history research, just join Ancestry .com and they have a wealth of information, you will start with what you know about your family and start looking up grand parents and great grand parents. Talk to family members find out where they were born, military service and just go to the site and enter what you know, and it will spit out more information than you know what to do with. Biggest obstacle for me was the fact that the 1880 census doesn't exist, it was actually lost in a fire. That stopped me for many years at my great grand father, I finally found records of his father and that opened up everything for me. From there it got much easier. You will build on the research others have done, but do so knowing that the guy you are getting information from might be completely wrong. So always look for records to base you information on.

For me, I'm stuck on my mother's side of the family. It goes back to Italy and I've hit a road block, I have to go to Italy and visit churches and research baptism records to go back further. True researchers will go to get copies of records as proof. I was recently at the Texas Land records, and I found an actual letter my grandfather wrote to Stephan Austin petitioning for a land grant with his family.

My family owned most of the land that is now Bryant college station. So I can actually say I own the aggies.

Leesberg Virginia is named for one of my great uncles, in fact my 8th great grandfather owned huge tracts of land in Virgina including what would later become Mount Vernon.

The best part of my research is passing it down to my kids so they can put their name into this history and write their story.

Man i would hate to be the person that came up to you and asked "hey are you related to..........." lol
Oh dude, me too! And I'm half afraid of looking up my family past because I just know that German folk that lived near the Dutch border either:

Owned slaves
Transported slaves on ships
Had some idiot 5th cousin that stayed in Germany and his son was a Nazi general
My great x 52 uncle shoved the spear into the ribs of Jesus while he was on the cross....

I'm afraid to kick that sh!t pile for fear of what might roll out.

I thought I would start a new Thread on family history.

To answer your question Clob, Yes, i am related to Quanah Parker. I have researched my family roots and have gone back over 1000 years in my paternal line. (Father to Son). Through marriages I've gone back much further. I tied into the line of Charles the first of France and his geneology line goes back to 3000 BC. Of course it's all BS, when you go back that far, it was just a fake family tree to make him more kingly.

However going back on my paternal linage that research is pretty solid.

So highlights of my research.

I am the 29th great grandson of William 1 of England. (William the Conqueror)
This makes the the 32 Great grandson of Charles 1 of France.
I am also the 32 great grandson of Lady Gadiva, and I still can't get any free chocolate from them.
I am related by marriage to Geoffery Chaucer.

Coming forward in time. My cousin Patricia Lea was the wife of Sam Houston, and bore him 5 sons. I am related to 2 signers of the Declaration of Independence. Richard Henry Lee and Francis Lightfoot Lee. It is Richard Henry Lee that was the father of Robert E Lee, so I'm related to him as well.

My 6th great grandfather James Lee fought in the Revolutionary war for the states. His son my 5th great grandfather Luke Lee was a Tory and fought for the British. Luke was also a minister for the church of England, that probably had something to do with his choice.

My 5th grand father Luther Jenkins was one of the original 300 in Stephan F Austin's first company, his wife was Rachel Parker who was abducted in the Fort Parker Massacre. Was a slave to the Cheyenne for several years. This is how I am related to Quanah Parker.

I have family members that fought in every war going all the way back to the battle Battle of Hastings where Henry Lancelot DeLee was so valant in battle he was awarded Lands and title. His Grandson fought with Richard the Lionheart in the Great Crusades and for his valance in the Battle of Acre he was also awarded lands and title.

John Adams once commented about my family, "The family of Lee has more men of merit in it than any other family".

John Adams 2nd US President 1779

In short, my family had a direct hand in the independence of this country and in the fight for Texas. Independence.

nUTpHz.jpg

Hook'em

Oh dude, me too! And I'm half afraid of looking up my family past because I just know that German folk that lived near the Dutch border either:

Owned slaves
My great x 52 uncle shoved the spear into the ribs of Jesus while he was on the cross....

I think you would be F^^ked after the spear situation! We could over look the Slaves and transporting Slave across State lines rap...and the Israelis are probably hunting your ass this very moment for the Nazi gig! Best to leave " Dead Dogs Alone" clob!

Hook'em

Owned slaves

No need being afraid of what you didn't do. I also ran through 2 ancestry databases and found all sorts of good and bad. Yes, there were census records showing slave ownership but there were just as many showing family members joining the union. It's history. We can't learn from mistakes if we choose to ignore shortcomings of our ancestors.
Dive in bud, you don't have to share what you find with anyone but at least you'll know.

Reactions: freeper
Being related to Robert E Lee is both very cool and something others would look down upon. I just say, I didn't do it. And I point out that if it wasn't for the efforts of his father and uncle there likely wouldn't be a United States. Not only was Francis Lightfoot Lee and Henry Light horse Lee signers of the Declaration of Independence, they played a major role in the battle for our freedom. Henry was a commander of American Dragoons (Calvary) he and his men won the battle of Edgar's Lane where they defeated a notoriously brutal group of Dragoon Hessians. He rose the military ranks quickly and played key roles in helping Francis Marion take key British outposts. While this was happening in the states, his Brother Francis Lightfoot Lee was a key figure in helping to keep the Dutch out of the war. They were allies to Britain and if they entered the war, it would have been a crushing blow to the American cause. So you take the good with the bad. I've learned a lot about my family through information about Stratford Hall, which can be called my ancestral home.

I'm also a decedent to both William Longshanks, and Robert the Bruce, so you can imagine the mixed feelings I have when I watch Braveheart.

An interesting note on my mother's side of the family. Her last name was Libertini, the origin of this last name comes from the word Libertine. The Libertine historically was a cast of individuals who were all once former slaves that earned or purchased their freedom. So my ancestors are both former slaves and slave owners. I personally like to think they were gladiators that earned their freedom in the arena, but more likely they were whores that screwed their way to freedom.

Last edited:
Good info and some interesting family background yall have. I'm fortunate to have had 2 cousins on both sides of the family to do the research. But, if I want to do more, is Ancestry.com the best way to go? I doubt I'll be going overseas in the future. Also, I want to see if I'm 1/1,024th of anything!
Hook em Horns!

Good info and some interesting family background yall have. I'm fortunate to have had 2 cousins on both sides of the family to do the research. But, if I want to do more, is Ancestry.com the best way to go? I doubt I'll be going overseas in the future. Also, I want to see if I'm 1/1,024th of anything!
Hook em Horns!
Ancestry.com is probably the best way from home, in my opinion. The farther you get down the line, you're tree starts blending in with research other users have done and you get a ton of info pulling from their work as well.
It's probably the best you can do without logging a lifetime in libraries and churches across the world like Mr sonofwasatch.

Being related to Robert E Lee is both very cool and something others would look down upon. I just say, I didn't do it. And I point out that if it wasn't for the efforts of his father and uncle there likely wouldn't be a United States. Not only was Francis Lightfoot Lee and Henry Light horse Lee signers of the Declaration of Independence, they played a major role in the battle for our freedom. Henry was a commander of American Dragoons (Calvary) he and his men won the battle of Edgar's Lane where they defeated a notoriously brutal group of Dragoon Hessians. He rose the military ranks quickly and played key roles in helping Francis Marion take key British outposts. While this was happening in the states, his Brother Francis Lightfoot Lee was a key figure in helping to keep the Dutch out of the war. They were allies to Britain and if they entered the war, it would have been a crushing blow to the American cause. So you take the good with the bad. I've learned a lot about my family through information about Stratford Hall, which can be called my ancestral home.

I'm also a decedent to both William Longshanks, and Robert the Bruce, so you can imagine the mixed feelings I have when I watch Braveheart.

An interesting note on my mother's side of the family. Her last name was Libertini, the origin of this last name comes from the word Libertine. The Libertine historically was a cast of individuals who were all once former slaves that earned or purchased their freedom. So my ancestors are both former slaves and slave owners. I personally like to think they were gladiators that earned their freedom in the arena, but more likely they were whores that screwed their way to freedom.

Don't apologize for being related to Robert E Lee. In addition to being admired by both sides during the Civil War, he contributed a lot to the peace efforts after the conflict.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/confederate-history-slave-ownership/

Contrarily, Confederate General Robert E. Lee freed his slaves (which he never purchased — they were inherited) in 1862! Lee freed his slaves several years before the war was over, and considerably earlier than his Northern counterparts. And during the fierce early days of the war when the South was obliterating the Yankee armies!

Reactions: LonghornMM
Don't apologize for being related to Robert E Lee. In addition to being admired by both sides during the Civil War, he contributed a lot to the peace efforts after the conflict.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/confederate-history-slave-ownership/

Contrarily, Confederate General Robert E. Lee freed his slaves (which he never purchased — they were inherited) in 1862! Lee freed his slaves several years before the war was over, and considerably earlier than his Northern counterparts. And during the fierce early days of the war when the South was obliterating the Yankee armies!

Don't get me wrong, there is much to admire about Robert E Lee, That Era had many great generals, if they had a draft Robert would be #1 overall pick, he was the Payton Manning of Generals.

However, there are many who associate him with the South and Slavery, so they make him a villain. I feel the similarly about Andrew Jackson, dude was an asshole, but there is also a lot to admire about him.

Don't get me wrong, there is much to admire about Robert E Lee, That Era had many great generals, if they had a draft Robert would be #1 overall pick, he was the Payton Manning of Generals.

However, there are many who associate him with the South and Slavery, so they make him a villain. I feel the similarly about Andrew Jackson, dude was an asshole, but there is also a lot to admire about him.
Nobody is liked by everybody, not even Jesus could pull that off.
History is just that. We have to embrace the bad with the good and learn lessons whereas applicable.

Truth be told , they was all classmates at West Point! That Brotherhood of that academy goes far beyond any war or opposite sides!

Hook'em

Reactions: freeper
Truth be told , they was all classmates at West Point! That Brotherhood of that academy goes far beyond any war or opposite sides!

Hook'em

What's funny is that we judge how good a class is by how many guys make it in the NFL, Military academies judge their classes by how many generals they produce.

Just to put this thread back on Family History. My 13th great grandfather is Sir John Spencer. The Spencer family is one of the most important in Britain. Members of that family include Winston Churchill and Princess Diana. So I'm also 12th Cousins to Prince William and Harry.

But I didn't get a single invitation to their wedding.

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn

Hook'em

Yep they were Classmates. All this talk of Robert E Lee made me remember a conversation I had with my Mother in 1950.

She was very proudly telling me that our family was kin to General Robert E. Lee, CSA. I just laughed ( I was rather grown up for a little boy and had already started studying Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and MARINES )

I said, "Maw, don't you reckon there is some Yankee-Woman up North, right now, telling her boy he is kin to General William Tecumseh Sherman or General Ulysses Simpson Grant?" She looked sort of funny and said " No really. We are kin." I said " Maw, I am more confident that we are kin to Traveler's rear end as General Lee rode him North...." She never brought that one up again.

I, myself, keep waiting for all the Political Correction Police to suddenly, realize how many US Army bases are named for CSA Officers. Can you imagine Ft Bragg being renamed Ft Pillow-fight?

The two big USMC bases are named for MARINES so we can't get in trouble there. Of course, my Senior Drill Instructor, Staff Sergeant R. P. Haskell, USMC would get us all in trouble. He said, in '63..."MARINES have the best job in the world. We get to travel and see the world, meet interesting people...and KILL THEM." Then he made us pray for war "as war is good for promotion." I guess it was for him as he retired a Captain of MARINES. He is famous for a cleaner quote that went all over THE CORPS.

It went sort of like this " You can’t buy the title Marine. You can’t sell the title Marine. It can’t be traded, it can’t inherited, it can’t be donated. It must be earned.

And you earn it with sweat and discipline. You keep it with sweat and discipline...and sometimes blood."

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT