ADVERTISEMENT

Game Day Traditions - Longhorn Style

IrishFever

Aug 18, 2006
I'm an ND alum and one of my favorite things about being an ND fan is the way the schedule varies allowing us to see ND at big-time CFB venues across the country. This year, THE destination game for ND fans is UT (no disrespect to USC - but we see them all the time!)

A group of us have been hitting up key away games over the past few years (OU, FSU & Clemson.) While ND has not always won, we have had a fantastic time seeing the teams, fans, traditions, etc. Of course, we expect to get a little friendly ribbing from the locals (and we do!) - but once they realize we are only there for fun, we get along and have a great time.

So, my question for you guys...
  • What do you recommend as the "must-see" traditions for a UT gameday?
  • What spots in Austin do you recommend for 'nightlife' (keep in mind we're 30s; mostly married; kids; & not looking to be the awkward guys hanging out with 18-20 year olds!)
I know Austin a bit - and know the city is full of fun (a LOT more to offer than South Bend!!!) So, I know we'll enjoy. I am (of course) hoping to see an Irish win. And, I hope we leave a great impression on your fanbase of what ND fans are all about!

Reactions: westx
I'm kind of a homebody, I usually try to buy some TV dinners and drink a few beers. You're more than welcome to hang at the trailer.

Irish fan, the pregame bar of bars that is a walk from the stadium is Scholz Garten south of the stadium. For nightlife it's of course 6th or 4th streets. If you want an upscale hotel bar hit The Driskill (I'm staying there) or my favorite classic bars are Shakespeare's, Maggie Mae's, Speakeasy and Lavaca Street bar.

Reactions: LonghornMM
6th street is not a safe place anymore. The girl from San Fransisco found out the hard way. In 1967 I found paradise in Austin Texas. That's long gone if you lived in that era. A crying shame but that's progress.

Irishfever, just make sure you are early to hear Texas Fight and The Eyes of Texas pre game. That alone will be worth the trip.

I'm an ND alum and one of my favorite things about being an ND fan is the way the schedule varies allowing us to see ND at big-time CFB venues across the country. This year, THE destination game for ND fans is UT (no disrespect to USC - but we see them all the time!)

A group of us have been hitting up key away games over the past few years (OU, FSU & Clemson.) While ND has not always won, we have had a fantastic time seeing the teams, fans, traditions, etc. Of course, we expect to get a little friendly ribbing from the locals (and we do!) - but once they realize we are only there for fun, we get along and have a great time.

So, my question for you guys...
  • What do you recommend as the "must-see" traditions for a UT gameday?
  • What spots in Austin do you recommend for 'nightlife' (keep in mind we're 30s; mostly married; kids; & not looking to be the awkward guys hanging out with 18-20 year olds!)
I know Austin a bit - and know the city is full of fun (a LOT more to offer than South Bend!!!) So, I know we'll enjoy. I am (of course) hoping to see an Irish win. And, I hope we leave a great impression on your fanbase of what ND fans are all about!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT