ADVERTISEMENT

Herman gets a pass if....

Don’t be embarrassed for me. I know just as much about Texas Football as any of you all here. Been following it since about 96 or so.

I’ve been saying for about a month now Herman better take control of the offense or he’d find himself in the same boat as Strong. What’s on the front page of this site. Anwar basicslly writing the same thing. Are you embaressed for him to? I think it bothers you that I might be right.... it’s ok. It bothers me to.

If Herman doesn't win after getting at least three years to get it done, then by all means he should be held accountable and it should be considered whether to keep him or not. But he's had less than one year and people like you who don't know what they're talking about want him fired.

If Herman doesn't win after getting at least three years to get it done, then by all means he should be held accountable and it should be considered whether to keep him or not. But he's had less than one year and people like you who don't know what they're talking about want him fired.
I’ve never once called for his firing. That’s just a lie. You just called me dumb and said I didn’t know anything about football and you can’t even accurately disagree with me.... I’d say the discussion is over.

Let it go guys. Me included. We want Texas to win but it's not happening this year. Let it go.

I’ve never once called for his firing. That’s just a lie. You just called me dumb and said I didn’t know anything about football and you can’t even accurately disagree with me.... I’d say the discussion is over.

You have done nothing but trash Herman and have made inaccurate and uninformed post after post. I'm not going to continue to argue with you, Ryan. Good grief man, just put the keyboard down. If you're smart, you'll let it go with me.

You have done nothing but trash Herman and have made inaccurate and uninformed post after post. I'm not going to continue to argue with you, Ryan. Good grief man, just put the keyboard down. If you're smart, you'll let it go with me.
So now your threatning me? Bottom line I’ve never called for him to be fired. As a matter of fact I’ve called the notation silly in multiple posts. It is true that I’ve been critical of the hire since day 1(for valid reasons) and continue to be critical but I have never called for him to be fired... mod or not I’m not just gonna let you spread falsehoods

So now your threatning me? Bottom line I’ve never called for him to be fired. As a matter of fact I’ve called the notation silly in multiple posts. It is true that I’ve been critical of the hire since day 1(for valid reasons) and continue to be critical but I have never called for him to be fired... mod or not I’m not just gonna let you spread falsehoods

You don't get it. Let it go Ryan. For some reason you think that you're always right and have to have the last word in every thread. I've been pretty tolerant with you, but you're really pushing my patience.

You don't get it. Let it go Ryan. For some reason you think that you're always right and have to have the last word in every thread. I've been pretty tolerant with you, but you're really pushing my patience.
Tolerant of what? Whst exactly have I done?

You can't be serious? You think Herman has no clue what he's doing? This has to be the stupidest thing you've ever posted here. Texas has major injury and depth issues on the OL, doesn't have a dynamic QB and no running game to speak of. The defense is playing really well and we're not seeing players out of position committing dumb penalties, and the mental lapses and missed tackles have been remedied. Also gone is the bad clock management and we haven't screwed up a coin flip or lost to Kansas.

Herman is recruiting really well and its going to take a few recruiting classes and him getting his guys in here to see what he can do. He deserves at least three years to show what he can do. People who are calling for him to be fired now are clueless. Mack made it look easy looking back on it and was a damn good coach at Texas. We'd be lucky to have another Mack Brown. Strong came here with experience from a major conference and he failed miserably.

Ryan, your bullshit is old. If you can't post something intelligent, please refrain from posting.

Mostly right, but I'm not so sure about the dumb "penalties part".

Why are all these threads being made?

Because fans hate cheering on a losing product. I hate my teams losing to but in no way am I going to ask for the coach to be fired after 1 season and it's not even a season yet. The expectations of some fans are just ridiculous which I find funny because MB brought those back but yet some are still throwing Strong's name around on this board and even DKR which was 40+ years ago. Once we get rolling it will quiet down we'll still have negative post like why are we not winning conference championships every year or NC's every other.

He can bring in top 5 classes year after year. Top 5 classes will trump average coaching. Right now the bmd's appear dialed in because the cash is flowing. If no results, then well... keep the top talent coming in. This is Hermans recipe for success. If the current class falls apart, well then it gets ugly. I have a hard time watching mismatched schemes so I tend to get grumpy. Think I can pick up some free tickets to the ku game?
So ur saying he can be Charlie Strong? Cuz that's what he did

He can bring in top 5 classes year after year. Top 5 classes will trump average coaching. Right now the bmd's appear dialed in because the cash is flowing. If no results, then well... keep the top talent coming in. This is Hermans recipe for success. If the current class falls apart, well then it gets ugly. I have a hard time watching mismatched schemes so I tend to get grumpy. Think I can pick up some free tickets to the ku game?

What does this mean, "The cash is flowing."?

I think it means that TH has gotten everything he has requested. New locker rooms... Check. Larger Support Staff... Check. Weight Room Upgrades... Check. The last administration (not coaching staff, but AD) was charging coaches for eating at the training table, limited payroll for support staff, and couldn't come up with $500 for a stinking ping pong table. I think the athletic department has learned its lesson and is in full support of this staff.
I could be wrong, and the OP is implying that we are going dirty. I can only hope that I am mistaken by ambiguity of that statement

Please baby Jesus let us whip KU this weekend so we don't have to shut down this forum from all the Longhorn fans that will commit virtual suicide.

I think it means that TH has gotten everything he has requested. New locker rooms... Check. Larger Support Staff... Check. Weight Room Upgrades... Check. The last administration (not coaching staff, but AD) was charging coaches for eating at the training table, limited payroll for support staff, and couldn't come up with $500 for a stinking ping pong table. I think the athletic department has learned its lesson and is in full support of this staff.
I could be wrong, and the OP is implying that we are going dirty. I can only hope that I am mistaken by ambiguity of that statement

OP here, yes, the BMD's are helping so that we don't have to pay players like a lot of other schools. If you're a recruit what do you want, improve as a player with the best facilities and a shot at the nfl or an instant illegal payment?

giphy.gif

Which programs that pay players don't also have the top notch facilities? If you are referring to programs like Bama they still have better facilities than us. The truth is we let ours slip for some time and now are just playing catch up. Do you think the programs that "pay" players also don't put a ton of $ into their facilities?

giphy.gif

Which programs that pay players don't also have the top notch facilities? If you are referring to programs like Bama they still have better facilities than us. The truth is we let ours slip for some time and now are just playing catch up. Do you think the programs that "pay" players also don't put a ton of $ into their facilities?

Err, true.

I think everyone is disappointed in how the season has gone. Texas wasn't going to go undefeated, but they should be better than 4-5. Anyone who thinks Herman should be fired after one season has no football IQ and doesn't understand all of the dynamics involved. I do think Herman will get Texas back to winning big, but it's going to take longer that most thought.

Reactions: freeper
If Herman gets to a bowl game this year. Comes out next year and is 2-0 headed in to the USC game I think he will be fine till at least his 3rd year. The conference should be down a bit which will help. Don’t make a bowl game,and come out lay an egg against Maryland... everyone will get a little restless.

anyone that thinks recruiting is going to fix our problems doesnt really know anything about whats happened at texas. we always recruit well. we havnt done a good job of developing talent over the last 10 years.

Reactions: oakforest horn
He gets a pass period.

It’s going to take 2, maybe 3 years for him to get the job done.

Expecting it any sooner is a sign folks really don’t understand how all this works.
Looking at your profile avatar...... I'm going to "like" every post you make just on general principle alone.....

I think everyone is disappointed in how the season has gone. Texas wasn't going to go undefeated, but they should be better than 4-5. Anyone who thinks Herman should be fired after one season has no football IQ and doesn't understand all of the dynamics involved. I do think Herman will get Texas back to winning big, but it's going to take longer that most thought.
MM,

Those experiencing disappointment need to understand that many of us did our level best to mitigate the expectations of most of the posters here. Going back to 2 a days, there was a palpable change in the mood of practice compared to Strongs tenure. You could just sense it. Now by my best estimation, the only difference we see between this team and the previous three years is one-- and I'm not minimizing this one thing, it's important-------the one thing I've seen that differs is --- EFFORT.

This team has losses, but I always saw them fight, even in losses. Effort, fight, determination-- these things can't be coached as much as they are inherent qualities. One must desire to fight. One must desire to not give up.

Now, yes-- our offense is terrible and oline is worse, but we haven' quit yet.

But as I said in august-- we are a 7-5 team.

we've lost 5 games. 4 of them were to top 10 teams and 3 of those were winnable. i'm choosing to stay positive. i am frustrated with the offense too, but i also don't see a reason to think a year of offseason won't help these guys become pretty good. the o-line got thrown to the wolves before they were ready. the running backs are bad, but that could be o-line. but i like some things. humphrey, ehlinger, brewer-- these are good things. i like our schedule next year. and we won't see anybody the rest of the year as good as the 4 top 10 teams we've competed with (okay, competed with 3) already.

How the Texas offense fell apart due to injuries
This was beyond any realistic worst-case scenario.
Entering the 2017 season, theTexas Longhornscouldn’t afford injuries at two key positions — left tackle and quarterback. Before halftime of the third game, the ‘Horns had already been lost All-American juniorConnor Williamsand had been withoutShane Buechele, the sophomore starter at quarterback, for six quarters.

But those were ultimately far from the only key injuries faced by the offense, before or since.

To understand why the offense has struggled so much, it’s worth looking back on a timeline of the injuries and the resulting impact on the team.

August 8 —Elijah Rodriguezsuffers a high ankle sprain
Only days into preseason camp, the prospect right tackle, redshirt juniorElijah Rodriguez, went down with a serious high ankle sprain in practice. Two days later, he had surgery that left him with an indefinite timetable for a return. Rodriguez hasn’t played this season and doesn’t appear likely to return for any of the final three games.

Impact:The injury to Rodriguez not only cost the team one of its best offensive linemen, it also left it without the most versatile player in the unit — the Houston-area product was capable of playing four positions. Ultimately, the loss of Rodriguez forced a sub-par senior —Tristan Nickelson— and an inexperienced sophomore —Denzel Okafor— into roles for which they were not prepared.

August 17 —Andrew Beckfractures his foot again
Less than 10 days later, the ‘Horns lost another key player at a position with limited depth when senior tight endAndrew Becksuffered a fracture foot. Within days, he was declared out for the season.

Impact:Entering preseason camp, Beck was the only player on the roster with experience playing the position at Texas. An effective blocker, he also had the potential to emerge as a pass catcher in a more tight end-friendly offense. Instead, his injury left the ‘Horns relying on a former wide receiver, a graduate transfer who arrived during preseason camp, and a freshman who was largely a wide receiver in high school.
September 2 — Shane Buechele suffers a bruised throwing shoulder
After an offseason spent questioning whether the sophomore could stay healthy for an entire season, it only took one game for Buechele to suffer another injury. He ultimately missed two games and showed questionable arm strength when he returned against Iowa State.

Impact:Buechele’s injury forced true freshmanSam Ehlingerinto action early, with Ehlinger playing his second game on the road against No. 4-ranked USC. Injuries at the position were one of the worst-case scenarios before the season and it didn’t take long for that to come to pass.

September 9 —Patrick Hudsonsuffers a knee injury
Late in the blowout against San Jose State, redshirt freshman right guard Patrick Hudson went down with a non-contact knee injury after a promising performance. An MRI later revealed that he had torn his ACL.

Impact:The nation’s No. 2 offensive guard in the 2016 class was set to become a key back up for Texas in his second season on the Forty Acres and his injury left the ‘Horns thin at the guard position.

September 9 —Garrett Graysuffers a knee injury
The former wide receiver became the starting tight end after Beck’s injury and performed poorly against Maryland before suffering a knee injury against San Jose State. He hasn’t played since.

Impact:Graylikely wouldn’t have been a competent player had he remained healthy, but his injury did force freshmanCade Brewerinto action long before the coaching staff would have liked. Offensive coordinator Tim Beck was left scrambling to find a way to effectively utilize Brewer.

September 16 —Connor Williamssuffers knee injuries
In the season’s third game, the ‘Horns lost the one player the offense absolutely could not afford to lose — All-American left tackle Connor Williams. In the first half against the Trojans, Williams suffered a torn meniscus and sprained two of his knee ligaments. He hasn’t played since.

Impact:Not only is Williams a generational talent at the most important position on the offensive line, but the team also lacked an effective replacement with the injury to Rodriguez. As a result, Nickelson briefly took over the position, but it quickly became apparent that his lack of mobility in pass protection could single-handedly sink the offense.

September 28 — Buechele suffers an ankle injury
After returning to the starting lineup for only one game, Buechele quickly suffered another issue, as the school announced the following day that he had sprained his ankle against Iowa State.

Impact:Once again, Ehlinger was forced into the starting role.

October 14 —Jake McMillonmisses game with a hand injury
An injury in practice keptMcMillon, the starting right guard, out of the Oklahoma game and limited his participation in the Oklahoma State game.

Impact:With Hudson out, redshirt juniorTerrell Cuneyshowed why he failed to receive playing time in the past — he’s undersized and susceptible to the bull rush.

October 14 —Kyle Portersuffers an ankle injury
Sophomore running back Kyle Porter carried the ball three times for seven yards against the Sooners before leaving the game with a sprained ankle. After missing the Oklahoma State game, Porter hasn’t received a carry since.

Impact:Given Porter’s lack of effectiveness as a runner, his injury wasn’t particularly significant, though he did provide value as a blocker when he was healthy.

October 21 — Ehlinger suffers a concussion
The freshman threw a brutal game-ending interception in overtime before the school revealed the next day that Ehlinger was suffering from concussion symptoms. He then sat out the Baylor game and didn’t play against TCU due to an inner ear issue that may be related to his head injury.

Impact: Just when it looked like Ehlinger was taking control of the position and the team, Texas was forced into another change at quarterback, complicating the play-calling situation for Beck.

October 21 —Zach Shackelfordsuffers a concussion
Just as McMillon was returning to health, starting center Zach Shackelford, a sophomore, also suffered a concussion during the game against Oklahoma State. Like Ehlinger, he didn’t play against Baylor or TCU.

Impact:Cuneywas once again pushed into the startling lineup due to the injury and largely played poorly, especially against the Horned Frogs.

October 21 —Reggie Hemphill-Mappssuffers a knee injury
One of the team’s most explosive playmakers on offense missed the second half of the game against the Cowboys after sustaining a knee injury.

Impact:Hemphill-Mapps played in the next two games, but totaled only one catch for five games in those contests. As the player most capable of turning short catches into long gains, the diminished impact of the redshirt freshman has hurt the Longhorns offense.

October 28 —Toneil Cartersuffers a concussion
Just as freshman running back Toneil Carter was seemingly breaking out with a 15-carry, 70-yard performance against Baylor that also included a touchdown, the speedster suffered a concussion. Carter missed the game against TCU.

Impact:The rush defense of the Horned Frogs probably wasn’t going to give up much yardage against any Longhorns running back given the state of the Texas offensive line. However, losing the pass-catching ability and explosiveness of Carter when he was finally getting an extended opportunity was certainly unfortunate.
November 4 — Denzel Okafor misses start due to injury
Nickelson started the game with the first-team offense as a result of Okafor suffering an undisclosed injury in practice, head coach Tom Herman said on Monday.

Impact:Okafor has struggled throughout much of the season after being forced into the starting role at left tackle, but he earned the role for a reason — Nickelson is a liability even at right tackle and an even bigger liability at left tackle. The ‘Horns ultimately gave up seven sacks in the game, a season high for the Horned Frogs.

Understanding how much all the injuries along the offensive line hurt the 2017 team requires some further context.

Last season, Williams and left guardPatrick Vahecombined to produce much of the yardage for Doak Walker Award winner D’Onta Foreman. And the offensive line as a whole struggled to protect Buechele, allowing 32 sacks on the season and ranking No. 108 nationally in passing down sack rate.

In other words, this was a line that needed to show some improvement without Foreman and without former starterKent Perkinsand part-time starterBrandon Hodges, who became a graduate transfer. There were no guarantees that it would have become an above-average unit even at full strength.

At the least, however, Texas could have counted on being able to pick up some yards running left and successfully protecting the blind side of the quarterback.

Ultimately, the loss of Hodges, and the subsequent fall transfer of former Under Armour All-American tackleJean Delanceseverely limited depth across the entire unit — any long-term injuries to starters or back ups along the offensive line or at tight end were going to be a problem.

By the third game of the season, the ‘Horns had lost the team’s three best blockers, the back-up tight end, and the back-up guard, all to long-term injuries.

No other position group in football has to play with the same level of coordination as the offensive line, where any break down can sink the entire play. An offense that gets behind the chains and struggles to pass protect stands little chance of succeeding. Meanwhile, strength and experience are paramount in pass protection and run blocking. Texas has lacked continuity, strength, and experience for almost the entire season.

Even the more experienced players, like Vahe and Shackelford, were’t able to redshirt. McMillon redshirted, but arrived as a defensive end, moved to guard, moved back to defense, then moved back to offense again.

Meanwhile, the quarterback position has been a revolving door — neither player has started more than three games in a row the entire season, resulting in a lack of continuity at that position that has made game planning and play calling more difficult. It has also left a leadership void on the offense.

At positions that have had relative health, like running back and wide receiver, the older players have struggled to produce meaningful contributions — the two freshmen running backs are clearly the most talented players at their position and the three leading receivers are all second-year players.

And yet, the leading receiver was demoted to a back-up role three games ago. One of the two seniors at the position has hardly played most of the season because of his poor practice habits.

So Texas fans can complain about the lack of week-to-week improvements and scrutinize the issues with individual play calls, but the bottom line is that injuries play a huge role in a brutal game like football. And the ‘Horns have suffered a rash of them without the depth to insert experienced back ups as replacements.

Despite that, Texas is somehow several plays away from being a two-loss football team. In those three games, mistakes by Ehlinger and the defense were as responsible for the losses as any mistakes by Beck.

Put any of those three games in the win column and all of a sudden the entire season feels much different.

Instead, the players — and coaches — are dealing with extremely difficult situations every week.

“They look out and one minute this guy is playing and the next this guy is playing,” Beck said on Wednesday. “The next minute this guy is playing, the next minute Shane is at quarterback and the next minute Sam is at quarterback. They kind of see the revolving door. It's hard to have any consistency when that is happening. I think that was the first game that we started the same offensive line two games in a row.”

As a result, Beck admitted several weeks ago that he was pressing as a play caller. The players are pressing, wanting to succeed. But as head coach Tom Herman has pointed out all season, the key to success is playing confidently, without hesitation, and with trust in the training provided by the coaches. Due to the circumstances, none of that has really been possible for the offense.

“They are so eager to try and do well,” Beck said. “Sometimes they are trying so hard, they are trying too hard. So we're trying to not press, but we are pressing, we know that. It's hard not to.”

Beck closed the press conference by noting that “most people” see the injury issues and the constant changes in personnel and understand why the team is struggling. But based on how fans perceive Beck’s job performance this season, it’s clear that many don’t understand.

And so instead of understanding why the offense consistently fails to show improvement from week to week, a difficult task due to the changing levels of competition and the challenges of a difficult schedule, fans are instead reflexively blaming Beck.

In doing so, those fans demonstrate an abject lack of understanding about why the offense is where it is.

Sad.

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2...-injuries-connor-williams-tom-herman-tim-beck

ADVERTISEMENT