ADVERTISEMENT

History

FlourBluffHorn

Jan 5, 2007
I remember when the horns practiced on the San Jac field, you could hear the pads popping 4 blocks away under Royal, water for the players was a water hose trough, no cold gatorade, all the players jersey and pants were soaked with sweet and blood and cleat marks all over their asses, when it was over walking to the stadium dragging their asses, no 4 sta or 5, just a few Blue Chip players, and thats the way they made Stauback look like a pussey Heisman in the Cotton Bowl, and why Steinmark went back in at Arky hurts so bad he could hardly walk...HEART! ,every practice under Royal was brutal but, one thing diff than today, they all loved Royal and played their hearts out for him, if oyu was hurt ya had to get past frank Medina which was not easy, Saxton getting knocked out 4 times in 1 game and carted off and still came back for 2 more Tds, thats why they was better in the 4th than they was in 1st, they went the distance because of them hard practices

Thats what it takes to make TEXAS great again! HEART! and Dedication which very few of players do not have , more worried about their stars and the NFL

OldTimers here remember the brutal practices and hot days, if ya messed up a play with Royal you liable to be running it over agin until the sun went down

Lets hope we get back to this as this is a proven recipe for winning the Natty!

Hook'em

I remember when the horns practiced on the San Jac field, you could hear the pads popping 4 blocks away under Royal, water for the players was a water hose trough, no cold gatorade, all the players jersey and pants were soaked with sweet and blood and cleat marks all over their asses, when it was over walking to the stadium dragging their asses, no 4 sta or 5, just a few Blue Chip players, and thats the way they made Stauback look like a pussey Heisman in the Cotton Bowl, and why Steinmark went back in at Arky hurts so bad he could hardly walk...HEART! ,every practice under Royal was brutal but, one thing diff than today, they all loved Royal and played their hearts out for him, if oyu was hurt ya had to get past frank Medina which was not easy, Saxton getting knocked out 4 times in 1 game and carted off and still came back for 2 more Tds, thats why they was better in the 4th than they was in 1st, they went the distance because of them hard practices

Thats what it takes to make TEXAS great again! HEART! and Dedication which very few of players do not have , more worried about their stars and the NFL

OldTimers here remember the brutal practices and hot days, if ya messed up a play with Royal you liable to be running it over agin until the sun went down

Hook'em
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/fb/fb75997bd18456cc1a80b97e9a7e88d9c734522e73a6aa6ae145c5da20f33093.jpg

I understand your point FBHorn but 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense(so to speak) isn't gonna fill the seats anymore. Got to keep up with the Jones's on all fronts. I agree that players aren't as tough anymore but it will never be like it was back in the day again.

3 yds and a cloud of dust???...Have you looked at any stats from those days? ...They were putting out over 500 yds offense EVERY game....lots of that came through the air surprisingly. I admit it was mostly a ground game, but I bet the average gain per play was more than most controlled passing offenses.

Dont believe me?...Do the math...500 yards divided by 60 plays....I will take that all day.

Sadly, It worked the same way for the Sooners when they ran the wishbone.

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
T he biggest riot in my 4 years on the 40 was the Arkansas game in 69 that Nixon went to and proclaimed UT the national champs. We should admit that that was the last all white nat'l champ team. DKR was a great coach, but he was fired for being an alcoholic.

DKR was NOT fired....He retired and believe me, it was his choice.He WAS 6-5 his last year, but had he wanted, he would have had more. Frank Broyles had already retired and Royal was getting sick of what was happening to recruiting.

I talked about Broyles above.....did you know that DKR and Broyles talked on the phone for an hour every night? A not so well factoid about the 1969 Game of the Century was that both DKR and Broyles wanted the National champ to be one or the other. Chickenshit Joe Paterno was also undefeated, but had turned down the Cotton Bowl To play in the Orange Bowl thinking that a tie or close game would vault PSU to # 1. Broyles and DKR agreed that their game would not end in a tie. That is the reason Texas went for and made 2 points after their first TD. JoePa whinned and whinned and whinned like a little vitch when his undefeated PSU team was not voted # 1....screw the coward he opted not to risk playing for it.

T he biggest riot in my 4 years on the 40 was the Arkansas game in 69 that Nixon went to and proclaimed UT the national champs. We should admit that that was the last all white nat'l champ team. DKR was a great coach, but he was fired for being an alcoholic.
THE BOR WILL DAMN SURE MAKE YOU DRINK tx

hOOK'EM

DKR was NOT fired....He retired and believe me, it was his choice.He WAS 6-5 his last year, but had he wanted, he would have had more. Frank Broyles had already retired and Royal was getting sick of what was happening to recruiting.
That's not what the big cigars told my dad at the time.

No 5-5-1. He was asked to step down. Happens to all great coaches that lose their edge. It's ok if you don't want to believe it.

Hook'em

This post is dumb. Being concerned with player health and safety is somehow a bad thing? You want a few more concussions and crippled ex-players so you can better enjoy Saturday afternoon? Just a few blue chips? They had unlimited scholarships. I'm sure many players loved DKR, but he had 3 straight 4 loss seasons. I guess love does not conquer all. You're all nostalgic about teams from the 60's...they'd be annihilated by today's athletes. And your blanket indictment that players today don't have heart and desire...you got to be one smart guy to be able to judge what's in another man's heart.

I talked about Broyles above.....did you know that DKR and Broyles talked on the phone for an hour every night? A not so well factoid about the 1969 Game of the Century was that both DKR and Broyles wanted the National champ to be one or the other. Chickenshit Joe Paterno was also undefeated, but had turned down the Cotton Bowl To play in the Orange Bowl thinking that a tie or close game would vault PSU to # 1. Broyles and DKR agreed that their game would not end in a tie. That is the reason Texas went for and made 2 points after their first TD. JoePa whinned and whinned and whinned like a little vitch when his undefeated PSU team was not voted # 1....screw the coward he opted not to risk playing for it.
I have a friend in New Braunfels that started at middle linebacker at Arkansas and graduated in 1972 playing for Broyles. He's a little less enthusiastic when discussing Broyles than you are. He thought he was a sorry sumbitch to be precise. He did say that the hardest hit he ever took was from Roosevelt Leaks though.

Hell....I never said he wasnt a sorry sum bitch...I said he and DKR used to talk on the phone every night. Besides....He was the coach at Arky.....how could he not be a sorry sum bitch?

Reactions: Belldozer1
Today,coaches have NCAA guidelines as to how many times they can practice,how long,pads vs no pads, and goal is to try and protect the health of the player.In the days of Bear Bryant and Darrell Royal the guidelines were not the same.Royal coaching mentors were Bud Wilkinson and did some assistant coaching with Bear Bryant when he was a Kentucky.Those two had great college records and ran a tough ship.

This post is dumb. Being concerned with player health and safety is somehow a bad thing? You want a few more concussions and crippled ex-players so you can better enjoy Saturday afternoon? Just a few blue chips? They had unlimited scholarships. I'm sure many players loved DKR, but he had 3 straight 4 loss seasons. I guess love does not conquer all. You're all nostalgic about teams from the 60's...they'd be annihilated by today's athletes. And your blanket indictment that players today don't have heart and desire...you got to be one smart guy to be able to judge what's in another man's heart.

they'd be annihilated by today's athletes.

By the last 4 yrs? They knew the chances when they put the uniform on every SaT, just like todays players and have ya seen very much heart the last 4 yrs or finish the last half or blow a big lead by just quitting in the 4th and then losing the gameand DKR might have had losing seasons but he made up for it with all the trophys and Nattys that you young'un just have 1, would had 2 but someone thru the game

Hook'em

Just curious FBH-Do you have color tv? :)
Yup. 50 inches and Alien computers , 1 Aircraft that I fly, a Boston Whaler and drive a BMW and don't have to go to work like you do everyday or don't, don't owe nobody and got a home in FB and Alaska and pay cash and never use my credit cards, You? In other words some people spend a lifetime trying to achieve and falling short
I remember the Korean war and the last of WW2so I know about having heart and desire to excel and quitting, once you quitin life and can't go the distance , you will always be there and teach yer children honor and integrity and you will do well, our children have a rough row ahead of them, prepare them or they will be lost....gotta play everyday like its the last and love your children and grandchildren and you will see that this BB is a lotta fun and really doesn't mean to much but your opinion and no one cares to much about that...I have had bad ones but so has others on here, when it comes down to it , we just all want to win regardless

Color TV did not improve the news one bit, its still black and white..and gray..LOL

Hook'em

Reactions: Oldmanastro
Boston Whaler? Nice! I'd like to have the Outrage or Conquest model. I hit Port A once or twice a year and take my 12 yr old daughter out on the Scat Cat, so I'll be hitting you up next time down there for a fishing excursion. ;)
Oh, and I drive either a Honda Odyssey or Toyota Highlander, which I sadly had to trade in my Chevy Z71 Silverado in for. Life revolves around 2 daughters.....

FlourBluff is like the Bermuda Triangle and the black hole combined. No communications in or out of there. Even ISIS feels uncomfortable there.
Privacy and
Yes, I live in my own time and is old fashioned at diff things, but, my world I grew up was much better than now especially for children and family enviroment, progress made the world more easier but, more complicated, if a cell Sat goes out then a lotta ya not gonna know how to act, guess you will just have to punch ya balls instead of your phone..LOL!

Hook'em

Reactions: Belldozer1
Boston Whaler? Nice! I'd like to have the Outrage or Conquest model. I hit Port A once or twice a year and take my 12 yr old daughter out on the Scat Cat, so I'll be hitting you up next time down there for a fishing excursion. ;)
Oh, and I drive either a Honda Odyssey or Toyota Highlander, which I sadly had to trade in my Chevy Z71 Silverado in for. Life revolves around 2 daughters.....
with 2 daughters your ass will be driving a old chevy pickup to where you will have to pop the clutch to get it started..LOL! a piece of advice, a boat is a money pit, spend ya money on your daughter, you get a better return than a smeely fish..LOL!

Hook'em

Bell....one of the safest bets you will ever make is that ISIS will feel..."uncomfortable" ANYWHERE in South Texas

The US fights them wrong, you should capture about 10 and take them for a chopper ride at 2000 feet, talk or ya get to fly back to camp..or like the ROK marines during Nam , capture 10 and cut their heads off and put on poles outside perimeter of camp, them guys never got shelled or rocketed, everyone else is cutting heads off might as well be the other way anyway back to the chopper ride , before the 3 rd ride someone will tell ya where the ISIS leader takes a shit and reads the paper every morn..LOL

As long as that TEXAS flag is flying BEWARE!

Hook'em

Reactions: oldhorn2
The US fights them wrong, you should capture about 10 and take them for a chopper ride at 2000 feet, talk or ya get to fly back to camp..or like the ROK marines during Nam , capture 10 and cut their heads off and put on poles outside perimeter of camp, them guys never got shelled or rocketed, everyone else is cutting heads off might as well be the other way anyway back to the chopper ride , before the 3 rd ride someone will tell ya where the ISIS leader takes a shit and reads the paper every morn..LOL

As long as that TEXAS flag is flying BEWARE!

Hook'em

Well at least you're consistent.

I agree DKR could have come back, but would you agree there were rumblings among the BMD's?

I think he was fed up and left on his own, 100%.

I agree DKR could have come back, but would you agree there were rumblings among the BMD's?

It was a timely departure. Royal was done and his heart was no longer in it, and Texas' record showed that in the latter years of his coaching.

It was a timely departure. Royal was done and his heart was no longer in it, and Texas' record showed that in the latter years of his coaching.

I think it's interesting how many time fans are ahead of the curve with regards to timing of coaching changes.

DKR was a very smart guy and I think he knew it was time to go.

I guess what I'm saying is the fans knew the wishbone was obsolete.

You are spot on. He WAS fed up....and there were BMD grumblings. But the biggest factor was that there was a bit of panic going on among the BMD and alumni in that there was a percieved very tiny window of opportunity to get Fred Akers who was the hottest young coach out there.He had been a coach under DKR and had gotten his HC chance at Wyoming and was wildly successful( sounds sorta like a familiar situation here now doesnt it?)...Some big time program was going to hire him. The big cigars convinced DKR( again...easy at the time...he was disgusted with the recruiting state of the game) to step aside.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT