ADVERTISEMENT

** HOOPS recruiting thread (Fri. 4:05 p.m.) - Coleman names top five; Hamm, Febres OV preview

DustinMcComas

You are what your fWAR says you are.
Gold Member
Apr 26, 2005
Wooten, Austin
Friday 4:05 p.m. update:

Per national reports yesterday, Matt Coleman scheduled visits to Duke (9/16), Stanford (9/30), Kansas (10/15), Syracuse (10/22), and Texas (10/29). I've heard that's the accurate date for the Texas one at the moment.

And Coleman just tweeted out his top five:

However, Coleman told me via text just now he's still working to finalize dates. So while I think those visits are likely, they're not completely set in stone yet, although he made it sound like Duke is going to get that one on 9/16.

Also, look for Texas to conduct in-home visits and to be on the road next week. Today began a recruiting period, which allows coaches to go see kids at schools and also conduct in-home visits. Because Texas is hosting two official visitors, it'll hit the road Sunday afternoon and Monday. Have heard Coleman will get one of the first, and ESPN just reported Jarred Vanderbilt's schedule, which includes Texas.

Friday 12:50 p.m. update:

Here's our preview story, which covers everything you need to know about Texas commitment Royce Hamm, and his close friend and top Texas target Jase Febres.

The two arrived for their official visits last night, per Febres.

Thursday 5:25 p.m. update:

Multiple reports out from some national voices that cover grassroots hoops that four-star Oak Hill Academy (Mouth of Wilson, Virginia) point guard Matt Coleman set his official visits.

Duke - 9/16
Stanford - 9/30
Kansas - 10/15
Syracuse - 10/22
Texas - 10/29

Yes, that's the same weekend five-star P.J. Washington, who has talked about playing with Coleman in college, is scheduled to officially visit Texas as well.

Have reached out to Coleman to see if I can get some confirmation (it's pretty tough to get any info out of Oak Hill. Braxton Key told me last year cell service up there is rough.) with no luck yet, but a source indicated that's the date for Coleman.

Thursday 1:20 p.m. update:

Here's an update on 2017 four-star wing Kimani Lawrence, who included Texas in his top five earlier this week.

Lawrence didn't specifically name official visit dates, but Texas is definitely an option. The Longhorns are recruiting him, but I wonder just how much of a top priority he is. Definitely a name to follow, though.

Tuesday 11:40 a.m. update:

Today, Rivals.com released its updated 2017 Rivals150, and as expected, recent Texas commitment Jericho Sims (Cristo Rey Jesuit; Minneapolis, Minnesota) made a huge jump from No. 146 all the way up to No. 54 overall. Also, Texas' other commitment, future pick-and-pop four, Royce Hamm (Davis; Aldine) moved up to 115 from 138.

Texas targets on the list:

Wing/forward P.J. Washington - No. 17 overall
Wing/forward Jarred Vanderbilt - No. 22 overall
Point guard Matt Coleman - No. 32 overall
Wing Kimani Lawrence - No. 48 overall
Guard Charles "Chuck" O'Bannon Jr. - No. 50 overall
Guard D.J. Harvey - No. 51 overall
Guard/wing Savion Flagg - No. 57 overall (Texas A&M has held lead for a while)
Forward/wing Ira Lee - No. 59 overall (recent War Room update this past Thursday)
Forward Rayshaun Hammonds - No. 60 overall
Guard Jase Febres - No. 63 overall (debut on list; expected to officially visit Texas this weekend)
Guard/wing Brandon Rachal - No. 122 overall

Some targets are more realistic for Texas than others, and our hoops board from mid-August details that.

Click here for our Hoops Board from August 12th

Speaking of Lawrence, this morning he released a top five:

From what we heard in August, it didn't sound like there was a ton of mutual interest between Lawrence and Texas. Could that have changed? Maybe, but with Febres coming in soon for a visit and Texas' recruitment of Washington and Vanderbilt, it would seem like Lawrence is down the list a little.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News