ADVERTISEMENT

How would you grade the recruiting class?

followed by the below paragraph under losers:

Ohio State

The Buckeyes were not considered favorites for the two targets on whom they missed out, so perhaps they don’t belong here. That said, coach Urban Meyer’s recruiting track record demands a rigorous grading curve. His consistent success attracting top-end talent to Columbus makes it difficult to process even minor failures. After watching hated rival Michigan reel in one of the nation’s top defensive tackles in Solomon, Ohio State couldn’t close on two other esteemed players at that position: Episcopal (Tex.) High five-star Marvin Wilson, the nation’s top uncommitted prospect entering Wednesday, picked Florida State, and Tufele picked USC. True, the Buckeyes rebounded by adding a talented in-state offensive lineman, Washington (Ohio) High four-star tackle Thayer Munford, but that’s little consolation for a program that seemingly won every recruiting battle it wanted to while assembling a terrific 2017 class.

And Georgia was on the loser list as well

Of course OU had a legit chance at him. Not that it even matters any more but hey, dont take my word for it, you seem to mis-remember. Back in June, Chaisson himself listed OU has his #1 school. With LSU at #3 and tx at #10. i think that pretty clearly suggests he liked OU, and a lot more than he liked a lot of others. You might come back with something like "He wasnt really interested, just trust me, I know." But it's a much better idea to get the information directly from the guy himself instead of some guy on the internet who is making stuff up.

e37766ea83d66cefec32fc221f80c3830555ee94.png

You are right, OU was once in the picture, I don't get why anyone would deny that. At the end it was between Texas and LSU...and no, it wasn't always LSU. A few fans want to act like Herman didn't have a shot at him, but he did, Herman just couldn't close. There is no need to be in denial about it. It's not that serious.

^^^^That's what the 9.95er's tell ya! I'll stick with folks in Houston and ties to HS football..

LSU is and was the only program that stayed at the top of his list throughout the entire process, Texas best shot at landing him was the Herman hire. The LSU official sealed the deal. He flirted with OU, nothing more.

Lsu flipped Phillips from OU as well, they almost pulled off what they had planned but Marv wasn't interested enough and he had the five star whisperer in his ear.

Last edited:
^^^^That's what the 9.95er's tell ya! I'll stick with folks in Houston and ties to HS football..

LSU is and was the only program that stayed at the top of his list throughout the entire process, Texas best shot at landing him was the Herman hire. The LSU official sealed the deal. He flirted with OU, nothing more.

Lsu flipped Phillips from OU as well, they almost pulled off what they had planned but Marv wasn't interested enough and he had the five star whisperer in his ear.

"That's what the 9.95er's tell ya! I'll stick with folks in Houston and ties to HS football.."

Say man, your opinion is not the gold standard. You have that attitude in every thread, and I'm not impressed with anything you've had to say, so chill with your condescending tone. "Ties" don't end with you. Miss me with the "I'm special" BS. Yeah, you're the .05er. I laughed.

"That's what the 9.95er's tell ya! I'll stick with folks in Houston and ties to HS football.."

Say man, your opinion is not the gold standard. You have that attitude in every thread, and I'm not impressed with anything you've had to say, so chill with your condescending tone. "Ties" don't end with you. Miss me with the "I'm special" BS. Yeah, you're the .05er. I laughed.

It wasn't an opinion sweetheart. You're simply a new tool (or you lost your former handle) trolling the board.

Last edited:
It wasn't an opinion sweetheart. You're simply a new tool (or you lost your former handle) trolling the board.

I'm not your sweetheart, . You're an old fool, and it is an opinion. You're a pretender. But by all means, keep bumping your gums on this message board chump...this is your pretend world. To disagree with your sunshine pumping and ignorance, doesn't make one a troll. After the fact you know it all...shut up.

I'm not your sweetheart, coward. You're an old fool, and it is an opinion. You're a pretender. But by all means, keep bumping your gums on this message board chump...this is your pretend world. To disagree with your sunshine pumping and ignorance, doesn't make one a troll.
I struck a nerve... Ha. At least you have a little fire in you. Maybe you'll stick around for a while and feed us some of your youthful wisdom? I posted what I was told, it wasn't an opinion on K'Lavon. I have skins on the wall lil buddy. There is no need for me to pretend. I'm not here to impress some new twerp that strolls in, like you.

I'll ignore you and you can do the same, then you can feel liberated.

Enjoy your stay.

We've strayed far enough from the OP....

Last edited:
I struck a nerve... Ha. At least you have a little fire in you. Maybe you'll stick around for a while and feed us some of your youthful wisdom? I posted what I was told, it wasn't an opinion on K'Lavon. I have skins on the wall lil buddy. There is no need for me to pretend. I'm not here to impress some new twerp that strolls in, like you.

I'll ignore you and you can do the same.

Enjoy your stay.

We've strayed far enough from the OP....

If you're saying people don't like being disrespected, then no sh!t. You're a simple minded individual. You don't have any skins on the wall, you haven't provided anything ground breaking. I went back and checked the recruiting thread, you don't know sh!t. As a matter of fact, looking at that thread made it worse for you. Stop pretending, lil mama. You want to be important in this pretend world. Skins on the wall...that's hilarious.

Last edited:
People can also point out loses to teams, like SMU. BUT Regardless of all his wins and loses at Houston, people want to see Herman do it on the field at Texas. The same thing was said about Strong...he won at Louisville with less talent, blah blah blah. I think Herman is going to do big things, but I understand fans being cautious. Herman hasn't done anything, to be beyond criticism.

Mack Brown not hitting on every recruit, has nothing to do with Herman and what is expected of him. If anything, you should see how hard is was, to do what Mack did, with "a lot" of "lemons." All those 10 win seasons, even when the Big 12 was hella deep. One NC, and if Colt had not got hurt, it would be two. We should have played Florida for another NC opportunity...yep, we got screwed. When Mack left it was time for him to go; but looking back, how many coaches have had that much success. I don't get why people still hate on that dude, especially with what Texas is going through right now.

The difference for me at least is that Tom Herman has the gift. He has that something you can't describe, but you can recognize it. He's just destined for greatness. I didn't see that in Charlie Strong.

The difference for me at least is that Tom Herman has the gift. He has that something you can't describe, but you can recognize it. He's just destined for greatness. I didn't see that in Charlie Strong.
Let's not go overboard, Fletch has the gift, Herman is merely a good coach. As I've said all along, I think Herman will do much better than Strong did.

People can also point out loses to teams, like SMU. BUT Regardless of all his wins and loses at Houston, people want to see Herman do it on the field at Texas. The same thing was said about Strong...he won at Louisville with less talent, blah blah blah. I think Herman is going to do big things, but I understand fans being cautious. Herman hasn't done anything, to be beyond criticism.

Mack Brown not hitting on every recruit, has nothing to do with Herman and what is expected of him. If anything, you should see how hard is was, to do what Mack did, with "a lot" of "lemons." All those 10 win seasons, even when the Big 12 was hella deep. One NC, and if Colt had not got hurt, it would be two. We should have played Florida for another NC opportunity...yep, we got screwed. When Mack left it was time for him to go; but looking back, how many coaches have had that much success. I don't get why people still hate on that dude, especially with what Texas is going through right now.

What got me po'd about recruiting early in the MB era was how they presented players like Chris Simms, Roy Williams and the rest of the 4* receivers from that class, and Cedric Benson. Imo, those were the lemons.

CS was too fragile mentally
I mentioned Bill Little. Little called Roy Williams the legend because he made a couple of impressive catches in his first practice at TX. He also said that RW was 6'5" when in truth Williams was 6'2 and a half. It might be unfair of me but a measuring stick for me is how good did they do against OK. RW was no legend against OK matter of fact he didn't have one td catch in his RRR career neither did the rest of those receivers, and neither did CS. Cedric Benson had one td. I mean someone as limited as Case McCoy can beat OK and those guys couldn't?

I'm sorry I do get fired up thinking about those days. I'm not the kind of guy who wont be happy if TX doesn't win every time. But underachieving angers me. All those players who went on to the NFL, all of those players who started for SB champions and MB only had two Big XII titles to show for it. And he darn near choked winning one of those games. And to top it off Art Briles won as many Big XII titles as Mack Brown.

wth?

Reactions: oldhorn2
Bobby Burton, Publisher

Well, if a grade of C is supposed to be average, then that's the grade I'd give them. Outside of Tom Herman's willingness to address obvious needs - like placekicker - I saw nothing from the staff's recruiting acumen or ability that would lead me to believe they deserve a grade any higher than that. Herman hired a largely inexperienced staff when it comes to recruiting at a big-time level. There are really only three assistants with any lengthy, tangible experience recruiting at a major college level. I'm talking about guys who have competed against the OUs, LSUs, etc., on an annual basis. And only one of those guys has ever been considered an elite recruiter. As for the start to 2018, I think it's way too early to even think about giving them a substantive grade at this time. But this Texas staff needs to show they can compete and win on the recruiting trail sooner rather than later.

Jeff Howe, Senior Writer

The grade should probably be “incomplete” based on there not being a big enough sample to evaluate. However, for the purpose of this exercise I’d give the current regime a solid B based on what I’ve seen to this point. Missing out on guys like Javelin Guidry and Elijah Gardiner shouldn’t bug Longhorns fans, but there’s no way to sugarcoat coming up empty on K’Lavon Chaisson. That one hurt and would’ve left everyone feeling better about the staff’s recruiting efforts. The way the staff offered some 2017 prospects in December and January didn’t seem ideal. With that said, it’s borderline irresponsible to pass judgement for a time when the staff is basically drinking from a fire hose. I liked some of the evaluations the staff made to finish off the class, namely Marqez Bimage, Derek Kerstetter and Daniel Young, and getting Toneil Carter and Gary Johnson were huge coups. There’s a lot that went right in the compressed cycle, but there’s a lot Tom Herman and Co. have to fix to maximize 2018. Texas isn’t the brand it used to be and winning football games is only part of the battle. It’s about relationships and a vision for the program, things Herman has to develop and sell in order to put together classes on the same level as Mack Brown (1999) and Charlie Strong (2015) finish with in their respective first full cycles.

EJ Holland, Lead Recruiting Reporter

I would give the staff an A for effort. They've hit the recruiting extremely hard since arriving in Austin, have been active on social media and are rebuilding bridges with Texas high school football coaches. However, the staff gets a C+ for results. There were too many key misses in the 2017 class and not enough battles won the stretch. The 2018 class should be better but it all comes down to this fall.

Garrett Callahan, Managing Editor

After seeing what happened at the end of the 2017 cycle and the offers already on the table for 2018, I have to give the staff a B- that is closer to a C+ than a solid B. That includes both the results it received and the effort it put in. After three losing seasons and the uncertainty surrounding most of this past season, there were a lot of hardships that were out of the hands of Tom Herman and his staff. When they got to Austin, they put a big focus on making relationships, recruiting hard and keeping the six recruits already committed on board. However, there were too many misses, especially on National Signing Day, that put a sour feeling on the 2017 class. There were no excuses to miss on targets such as Stephan Zabie, who played right in Texas' backyard and had a former Longhorn as a coach, and K'Lavon Chaisson, who had a relationship with the staff dating back to its time at Houston. Those are missed that will be remembered until Texas proves it can win on the recruiting trail, and the field, in the coming months.

Reactions: Bwilk55
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT