ADVERTISEMENT

How would you grade the recruiting class?

Ed O was already on the staff and coached the team the entire year after week four. He coached them to a blowout bowl win over Mr. Heisman, not apples to apples brah.

He has a few extra months on herman, sure. But he was hc in september, recruiting kids that other head coaches at other programs have been recruiting for years. And of course, the state of lsu's program vs the state of tx's program is clearly different too.

He has a few extra months on herman, sure. But he was hc in september, recruiting kids that other head coaches at other programs have been recruiting for years. And of course, the state of lsu's program vs the state of tx's program is clearly different too.

Wrong, he had relationships with the kids they were pursuing as he was already on the staff (he was the DL coach), he coached 8 regular season games as the HC and the Bowl game. There's nothing similar, period. LSU is definitely in a better place currently than Texas on the national stage, they also get to beat up on Aggy which helps their Texas recruiting.

Last edited:
Reactions: freeper
There's some Burnt Orange sunshine on here today. This class is a D+.

Only 3 or 4 of these guys will ever start(Ehlinger QB, Johnson LB, Carter RB, ??). The rest will leave through attrition or be career backups. Absolutely NO studs on the OL or DL. The game is won upfront, not in the backfield, the flats or secondary. Thus my grade of D+.

If TH doesn't produce with Charlies players in 2017 and get 9 or 10 wins . . . we're gonna be in a world of hurt.

Only 3 or 4 of these guys will ever start(Ehlinger QB, Johnson LB, Carter RB, ??). The rest will leave through attrition or be career backups. Absolutely NO studs on the OL or DL. The game is won upfront, not in the backfield, the flats or secondary. Thus my grade of D+.

If TH doesn't produce with Charlies players in 2017 and get 9 or 10 wins . . . we're gonna be in a world of hurt.

giphy.gif

Wrong, he had relationships with the kids they were pursuing as he was already on the staff (he was the DL coach), he coached 8 regular season games as the HC and the Bowl game. There's nothing similar, period. LSU is definitely in a better place currently than Texas on the national stage, they also get to beat up on Aggy which helps their Texas recruiting.

He as a DL coach wasnt out there recruiting everyone, then you had thee kids who wanted lsu becuase of Miles. HC departures often lead to kids looking elsewhere so its usually an uphill climb the first year for most HCs.. I think they just did a really good job of buying off some of these recruits, money talks!

He as a DL coach wasnt out there recruiting everyone, then you had thee kids who wanted lsu becuase of Miles. HC departures often lead to kids looking elsewhere so its usually an uphill climb the first year for most HCs.. I think they just did a really good job of buying off some of these recruits, money talks!
Cool story, but he was damn sure recruiting Chassion all along. It's the only one Texas had a shot at. lol

National Signing Day 2017 winners and losers: USC surges, Texas flops

tom-herman-inline.jpg

AP Photo/Eric Gay

Losers

Texas

Any hope that new Texas coach Tom Herman could immediately restore the Longhorns’ place atop the Lone Star State recruiting pecking order gave way to the realization that it’s going to take a while. First Westlake (Texas) High four-star offensive tackle Stephan Zabie decided to bolt Austin in favor of the West Coast and sign with UCLA. Then came Bishop Dunne Catholic (Texas) four-star cornerback Chevin Calloway’s announcement that he’s headed to Arkansas. The most crushing blow, though, involved one of the best players on the market across the country entering Wednesday. North Shore Senior (Texas) five-star defensive end K’Lavon Chaisson opted for LSU. Signing day wasn’t a complete disaster for Herman. He got a late yes from juco three-star defensive tackle Jamari Chisholm, and Winter Park High three-star wide receiver Jordan Pouncey is a nice pickup out of Florida. But the overall picture is bleak. This was a humbling day for the Longhorns.

Any hope that new Texas coach Tom Herman could immediately restore the Longhorns’ place atop the Lone Star State recruiting pecking order gave way to the realization that it’s going to take a while.
......But the overall picture is bleak. This was a humbling day for the Longhorns.

Yeah, it's going to take sooo long for us to pass Texas A&M, the only school in Texas with a higher ranked class. This was not a slam dunk class, that's for sure, but to say the overall picture is bleak is quite an overstatement.

The class isn't great, it's also not terrible. It's ho hum, but it's a transition. Herman did some good things and whiffed on some others. Certainly no one expects this to be the norm and if it is, then yeah we will probably be wash rinsing and repearting this conversation in a few years. The narrative that something other than immediate recruiting success is a failure is ridiculous. There are two coaches that carry the clout to generate immediate recruiting success from a failing program. Neither of them were available for hire.

Besides whatever service you want to use for rankings and whatever metric any recruiting ranking you spit out is for this class is vastly superior to our performance on the field the past 7 seasons. We barely a top 50 program in that time frame.

No shit?

I'd say the QB, 2 RB's, Top JUCO LB, 2 TE's, JUCO Kicker and the WR pick ups were all significant and Graham at DE was a huge keep! You missed the boat buddy and If you loved Strong's recruiting, you should be happy about the corner and safety pickups as well.

The referenced RS's are what he has to work with that have the same amount of eligibility. He has plenty to work with and couldn't take more numbers than he did. It's part of the reason this class was small.

85 scholly limit, 70 scholly's on the roster and only 12 are seniors, add the 18 below and you're at 88. The next class will be tiny as well if we don't see significant attrition.

2017 additions:

1 QB in Ehlinger plus a prefered walk on
2 RB's in Carter and Young
2 TE's in Leitao and Brewer
2 WR's in Miller and Pouncy
2 OL in Kerstetter and Cosmi
2 DE in Cummins and Graham
1 DT in JUCO Chisholm
2 LB in Bimage and No.1 Juco ILB Johnson
2 CB in Boyce and Thompson
1 Safety in Estell
1 Kicker in Rowland

One "Boom" kid per your verbiage, doesn't make a class.
Who is the preferred walk on? I haven't seen the name released.

3 or 4?? That's a pretty pessimistic projection. Rowland will likely take over as starting kicker right off the bat. Herman has a TE heavy offense and we had a TE light roster. We likely see at least 1 of the new TEs as a freshmen and both will likely start down the road. On top of that you are completely dismissing 4 other 4 star players (Miller, Graham, Estell, Thompson) as possible starters. I'd add in guys that could be under rated finds like Daniel Young and Bimage, but that's just me.

I'd guess that this class produces 8-10 starters over the next 5 years, but we of course won't be able to settle this argument for another 5 years and produce a better recruiting class next year.

I do agree, outside of Graham, no players that will make an impact in the trenches. Fortunately we had good OL/DL classes last year. We will need some good hits there in this next class. I also agree, Herman needs to get 9-10 wins and produce a much better recruiting class next year.

Last edited:
Cool story, but he was damn sure recruiting Chassion all along. It's the only one Texas had a shot at. lol

OU could have had him too I think, but I heard they didnt like him still out flirting with other girls. Which wasnt right I dont think because they let some of their commits take visits after giving their verbals

OU could have had him too I think, but I heard they didnt like him still out flirting with other girls. Which wasnt right I dont think because they let some of their commits take visits after giving their verbals
Chassion hadn't verbal'd to anyone and he didn't like OU, that's like OU thinking they really had a shot at Marv...they didn't.

Graham was the DE OU had a shot at and he shut it down after his TCU visit and stuck with Texas.

Big fat D.

Lot of blame can be spread around, but we are TEXAS.

I made a couple of D"s in college. It was my fault I made them.

tom-herman-inline.jpg

AP Photo/Eric Gay

Losers

Texas

Any hope that new Texas coach Tom Herman could immediately restore the Longhorns’ place atop the Lone Star State recruiting pecking order gave way to the realization that it’s going to take a while. First Westlake (Texas) High four-star offensive tackle Stephan Zabie decided to bolt Austin in favor of the West Coast and sign with UCLA. Then came Bishop Dunne Catholic (Texas) four-star cornerback Chevin Calloway’s announcement that he’s headed to Arkansas. The most crushing blow, though, involved one of the best players on the market across the country entering Wednesday. North Shore Senior (Texas) five-star defensive end K’Lavon Chaisson opted for LSU. Signing day wasn’t a complete disaster for Herman. He got a late yes from juco three-star defensive tackle Jamari Chisholm, and Winter Park High three-star wide receiver Jordan Pouncey is a nice pickup out of Florida. But the overall picture is bleak. This was a humbling day for the Longhorns.

followed by the below paragraph under losers:

Ohio State

The Buckeyes were not considered favorites for the two targets on whom they missed out, so perhaps they don’t belong here. That said, coach Urban Meyer’s recruiting track record demands a rigorous grading curve. His consistent success attracting top-end talent to Columbus makes it difficult to process even minor failures. After watching hated rival Michigan reel in one of the nation’s top defensive tackles in Solomon, Ohio State couldn’t close on two other esteemed players at that position: Episcopal (Tex.) High five-star Marvin Wilson, the nation’s top uncommitted prospect entering Wednesday, picked Florida State, and Tufele picked USC. True, the Buckeyes rebounded by adding a talented in-state offensive lineman, Washington (Ohio) High four-star tackle Thayer Munford, but that’s little consolation for a program that seemingly won every recruiting battle it wanted to while assembling a terrific 2017 class.

Well Tcu, Kansas St. have fielded some awfully salty teams made up of mostly 3 stars with some 4 stars and juco's sprinkled in, playing good disciplined fundamental football, much like Herman appeared to be teaching at Houston.

followed by the below paragraph under losers:

Ohio State

The Buckeyes were not considered favorites for the two targets on whom they missed out, so perhaps they don’t belong here. That said, coach Urban Meyer’s recruiting track record demands a rigorous grading curve. His consistent success attracting top-end talent to Columbus makes it difficult to process even minor failures. After watching hated rival Michigan reel in one of the nation’s top defensive tackles in Solomon, Ohio State couldn’t close on two other esteemed players at that position: Episcopal (Tex.) High five-star Marvin Wilson, the nation’s top uncommitted prospect entering Wednesday, picked Florida State, and Tufele picked USC. True, the Buckeyes rebounded by adding a talented in-state offensive lineman, Washington (Ohio) High four-star tackle Thayer Munford, but that’s little consolation for a program that seemingly won every recruiting battle it wanted to while assembling a terrific 2017 class.

I just looked at the original article myself. He was essentially grading teams based on what happened solely on national signing day, not their entire class. In that regard, I would consider us losers, though I still wouldn't consider our overall outlook to be bleak. Listing Oh St, the number 2 class overall, as a loser just seems silly though. Even if they did lose out on a few top recruits on NSD.

Well Tcu, Kansas St. have fielded some awfully salty teams made up of mostly 3 stars with some 4 stars and juco's sprinkled in, playing good disciplined fundamental football, much like Herman appeared to be teaching at Houston.

Herman has plenty of talent to work with. This class won't need to make an immediate impact outside of the JUCO signees (mostly the K and LB). He did a great job at Houston getting the best out of players. If he can do that at Texas, we will be winning 10+ again real soon. We lost a lot of games last year due to poor discipline and lack of detail, fix those issues and the team will already be much better.

Outside of OU and Texas every other conference member would cream themselves over a 20th ranked class. We aren't playing against recruiting juggernauts. Whoever the UT coach is will recruit circles around everyone in the conference not named OU even in down years. If we can't start consistently beating those other Big12 teams on the field with those recruits, then this program deserves to be a dumpster fire. That's where your angst should be directed. Not where this class is ranked or the next. Start beating those teams and the recruits will come.

Ok people one more time. In just two years Tom Herman beat two fb bluebloods, OK, and FSU. And he won both games by double digit margins. He also put a beat down on Heisman winner Lamar Jackson's LVL team. And he did it without elite talent. I have no doubt that Tom Herman will make good players out of these kids Give it a rest. And when you've sucked the way the Big XII has the last two years the top talent is going to to a non Big XII team and that's exactly what happened.

And if there's any fans in the country that should keep highly ranked recruiting classes in their proper perspective it's Texas fans. How many times did Mack Brown and that ignorant fool Bill Little talk about how great we did only to find out that a lot of those kids were lemons.

HookemHorns

There are only 20 teams that were given a top 10 ranking under Rivals. That's not a lot of teams. Clearly, the rankings are seeing the same seven or so teams being ranked year in and year out, with a sprinkling of other teams being added in every year or so. Using the best data analysis used at all the prestigious scientific and mathematic institutes everywhere (ok, I ranked them myself), this is how I ranked those twenty teams in terms of those seven years of rankings. Feel free to quibble amongst yourself if you think one team should be ranked ahead of another team. I listed all seven years of rankings, from zero to 10, zero obviously being a year they were not ranked in the top ten.

Rivals Recruiting Rankings, 2010-2016
1. Alabama.......5,1,1,1,1,2,1
2. FSU.............10,2,6,10,4,3,2
3. LSU..............6,6,0,6,2,8,5
4. Auburn.........4,7,10,9,9,7,9
5. USC.............1,4,8,0,10,1,0
6. Oh St...........0,0,4,2,3,9,3
7. Mich.............0,0,7,5,0,5,4
8. Texas...........3,3,2,0,0,0,7
9. Florida..........2,0,3,4,8,0,0
10. Georgia.......0,5,0,0,7,6,0
11. Clemson.....0,8,0,0,0,4,6
12. A&M...........0,0,0,0,6,10,0
13. UCLA..........8,0,0,8,0,0,10
14. ND.............0,10,0,3,0,0,0
15. OU.............7,0,0,0,0,0,0
16. Tenn..........9,0,0,0,5,0,0
17. Miss...........0,0,0,7,0,0,8
18. Stanford.....0,0,5,0,0,0,0
19. Oregon.......0,9,0,0,0,0,0
20. Miami.........0,0,9,0,0,0,0

I've always had complete respect for your opinions Micco and I respect the homework you did on this.

But

I look at his list and I'm not impressed with the schools on it. Some of them I have no respect at all.

LSU underachievers. They're so bad now they fired their coach in midseason. Nick Saban implied that the only reason Miles won a nc was because he did it with players Saban recruited. Ouch

Auburn? they were a fluke when they got to the title game a few years ago. And they haven't been s*** since then. I knew OK would roll them.

Michigan? I've said this before about Jim Harbaugh. He will wear out his welcome by year four. And if he loses his next two games against tOSU he will bail back to the NFL. I will eat my words if I'm wrong.

TX, FL, GA, UCLA, a&m, UCLA, ND, TN, MS, and the U bit*h please

Chassion hadn't verbal'd to anyone and he didn't like OU, that's like OU thinking they really had a shot at Marv...they didn't.

Graham was the DE OU had a shot at and he shut it down after his TCU visit and stuck with Texas.

Of course OU had a legit chance at him. Not that it even matters any more but hey, dont take my word for it, you seem to mis-remember. Back in June, Chaisson himself listed OU has his #1 school. With LSU at #3 and tx at #10. i think that pretty clearly suggests he liked OU, and a lot more than he liked a lot of others. You might come back with something like "He wasnt really interested, just trust me, I know." But it's a much better idea to get the information directly from the guy himself instead of some guy on the internet who is making stuff up.

e37766ea83d66cefec32fc221f80c3830555ee94.png

Lol, OU wasn't in the picture. But by all means, flatter yourself with a tweet. He played the process to a T. He even fooled you buddy.

It was always LSU.

Herman got him to sniff Texas ass for a little while. Oh, if you really want to buy into what you read or see on social media, Baylor had a legit shot because his dad played there. Lol

OU was farther than he cared to be from the family, it was known for a long time.

Last edited:
I think one of the things I that I know I forgot is the kids that redshirted last year and the ones that we picked up from Baylor. If you put those kids in this class, I think it is a good class. The OL depth that we wanted in this class is eased a bit because of the numbers that were included in last year's class.

That is THE reason I am not concerned about this class, because of what Strong left behind. He red shirted some talented players, and it is going to pay off for Herman.

Reactions: outhereincali
Ok people one more time. In just two years Tom Herman beat two fb bluebloods, OK, and FSU. And he won both games by double digit margins. He also put a beat down on Heisman winner Lamar Jackson's LVL team. And he did it without elite talent. I have no doubt that Tom Herman will make good players out of these kids Give it a rest. And when you've sucked the way the Big XII has the last two years the top talent is going to to a non Big XII team and that's exactly what happened.

And if there's any fans in the country that should keep highly ranked recruiting classes in their proper perspective it's Texas fans. How many times did Mack Brown and that ignorant fool Bill Little talk about how great we did only to find out that a lot of those kids were lemons.

HookemHorns

People can also point out loses to teams, like SMU. BUT Regardless of all his wins and loses at Houston, people want to see Herman do it on the field at Texas. The same thing was said about Strong...he won at Louisville with less talent, blah blah blah. I think Herman is going to do big things, but I understand fans being cautious. Herman hasn't done anything, to be beyond criticism.

Mack Brown not hitting on every recruit, has nothing to do with Herman and what is expected of him. If anything, you should see how hard is was, to do what Mack did, with "a lot" of "lemons." All those 10 win seasons, even when the Big 12 was hella deep. One NC, and if Colt had not got hurt, it would be two. We should have played Florida for another NC opportunity...yep, we got screwed. When Mack left it was time for him to go; but looking back, how many coaches have had that much success. I don't get why people still hate on that dude, especially with what Texas is going through right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: westx
I've always had complete respect for your opinions Micco and I respect the homework you did on this.

But

I look at his list and I'm not impressed with the schools on it. Some of them I have no respect at all.

LSU underachievers. They're so bad now they fired their coach in midseason. Nick Saban implied that the only reason Miles won a nc was because he did it with players Saban recruited. Ouch

Auburn? they were a fluke when they got to the title game a few years ago. And they haven't been s*** since then. I knew OK would roll them.

Michigan? I've said this before about Jim Harbaugh. He will wear out his welcome by year four. And if he loses his next two games against tOSU he will bail back to the NFL. I will eat my words if I'm wrong.

TX, FL, GA, UCLA, a&m, UCLA, ND, TN, MS, and the U bit*h please
No doubt, this is just a list for informational purposes only. Make of it what you will. I've got another chart that shows where each team finished in the final AP poll for those years as well. It's interesting in that some of the teams at the bottom of the above list (Oregon and Stanford, specifically) seemed to overachieve compared to their recruiting classes, while the three teams you mentioned (LSU, Auburn, and Michigan) underachieved compared to how they recruited.

Reactions: oldhorn2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT