ADVERTISEMENT

I'll get roasted but..it won't be the first

DocAg

Jan 19, 2015
First of all, let me say as a person I think Kevin Durant seems to be a classy guy. He's not an attention seeker and just seems to be an all around good guy. When he first came into the league I really thought he was an outstanding talent, and I still do, but I question the way he plays with the team mind set. He reminds me a lot of Tracy McGrady. McGrady was a lights out shooter at times and had tons of talent, but he would shoot his teams in games and shoot them out of games as well. Durant does that as well. He has a streak where he is unstoppable, but then goes on a run where he takes so many bad shots that the other team will get back in the game as well. Westbrook is much the same but, just focusing on Durant since he is of interest here. It doesn't seem like he gets his teammates in the game as much as they should be, and he doesn't make the game easier for them. I was one who thought the Thunder could make a deep run and give Golden State or San Antonio trouble, but I just don't think those 2 guys aren't disciplined enough to make a deep run against teams that play team ball. Thoughts? Sorry, there isn't much to talk about these days.

Last edited:
I love Durant but ... when the shots aren't falling, he looks pretty bad. I heard one of the analysts compare him to Nowitzki - he has such a unique skill set. There is not another guy as tall as he is, with his athleticism, that can shoot like he does (same for Dirk minus the athleticism). But the holes in his game may keep him from a title. He is still very young.

That team just defers too much to Durant and Westbrook. They work hard and have designed plays to get the two of them the ball. And then after that the motion stops and it is stand around and watch Kevin/Russ shoot the ball.

You gotta keep the motion up on offense, even when a star player has the ball in his hands.

And Durant should take it to the hoop more. If your shot is off from outside, punch it in from closer. He has the ability.

They need a coach.

Reactions: diadevic
First of all, let me say as a person I think Kevin Durant seems to be a classy guy. He's not an attention seeker and just seems to be an all around good guy. When he first came into the league I really thought he was an outstanding talent, and I still do, but I question the way he plays with the team mind set. He reminds me a lot of Tracy McGrady. McGrady was a lights out shooter at times and had tons of talent, but he would shoot his teams in games and shoot them out of games as well. Durant does that as well. He has a streak where he is unstoppable, but then goes on a run where he takes so many bad shots that the other team will get back in the game as well. Westbrook is much the same but, just focusing on Durant since he is of interest here. It doesn't seem like he gets his teammates in the game as much as they should be, and he doesn't make the game easier for them. I was one who thought the Thunder could make a deep run and give Golden State or San Antonio trouble, but I just don't think those 2 guys aren't disciplined enough to make a deep run against teams that play team ball. Thoughts? Sorry, there isn't much to talk about these days.
Not saying you are wrong, but basketball is as much a head game as there is. Most coaches will tell their super stars to keep shooting even if he isn't hitting his shots, because he needs to see one go in to get hot. Hit a couple in a row all of a sudden the basket looks huge. How often do you see players who were cold all of a sudden hit three big shots in a row? Its just a part of the game. Hell, Texas did it with Conner Lammert this year, and he wasn't even a premier scorer.

Not saying you are wrong, but basketball is as much a head game as there is. Most coaches will tell their super stars to keep shooting even if he isn't hitting his shots, because he needs to see one go in to get hot. Hit a couple in a row all of a sudden the basket looks huge. How often do you see players who were cold all of a sudden hit three big shots in a row? Its just a part of the game. Hell, Texas did it with Conner Lammert this year, and he wasn't even a premier scorer.
I get that shooters need to shoot, but man the shots he and Westbrook take are terrible at times. Both of these guys are terrific players and talents, but they force so many bad shots instead of creating for their teammates. I would want Durant shooting more shots as well because he is the best player on that team, but in the 4th quarter he shoots them out of a lot of games.

Durant's game isn't as a facilitator. He's not a complete player. That's one of the big flaws of OKC plus they do a lot of knuckle head things.

DocAg......

Don't you worry your pretty little head. After this season is over KD will have a brand new coach. A great coach. Arguably one of the greatest coaches in NBA history. His name is Greg.

You see, the powers that be at NBA head shed saw years ago that there would be a star studded free agent class this year. Sooooo, the NBA decided to raise the salary cap by 18 million. Lebron, dewayne, KD-- tons of guys in this class. And with a few moves by Los Spurs, Manu retires, moves to Argentina and gets into politics. Red Rocket retires, and SA will have 24 million dollars to give to KD to come and build the NEW big 3.

As much as I love KD and want him to win a title, it won't happen for him in OKC and it may not ever happen in his career. This is the option year in his career and a lot of players have the best years in their contract year, but KD is having his worst. The OKC Thunder should be at minimum one of the top 4 teams in the NBA but they are not. They lead the league in games lost when ahead at the end of the third quarter. How many games do you think the Spurs or Lebron's Cavs lost when they were ahead at the end of the third? Not many I can assure you. After the all star break when the Thunder played seven games against the Spurs, Warriors, and Cavs they lost 6. And in one game against the Warriors, KD just flat out choked.

To be fair they don't have a good team around him. Where as the Warriors have at least 10 players who can shoot the ball, the Thunder only have one other besides KD or Russ, and that's Enes Kanter. And EK is nothing more than a player who can fill up a stat sheet but won't put up the numbers when it counts. The Thunder have a solid organization and they are trying to win a championship but it's not going to happen with KD and Russ on the team. To be honest I think Dallas will beat the Thunder. It hurts me to say this but KD does not have what it takes to win a title and neither does Russ. It's best for both himself and his team that he moves along when the season ends. I can't see him on the Spurs if the Spurs can make room for him great but I'm not counting on it. I see him going to an east coast team. NBA teams that win championships have a one, two punch and I think KD is better suited as the number two guy.

He really hasn't played for a great head coach yet. You can bet that if Phil Jackson was a few years younger he would be heading to OKC. With KD, Westbrook and their complementary players they have enough to win a championship in most year. However, at this time its more difficult because they are clearly behind the Spurs and Warriors.

He definitely shot away OKC's chances in this last one. He just wasn't on. That said, he's an incredible talent...just needs to learn to distribute a little more. Not sure why Adams didn't just go back up with the rebound on the last possession. He was right under the basket, but kicked it out to Durant who missed his 4th or 5th shot in a row.

During the regular season, Kevin Durant averaged 28 points, 8 rebounds, and 5 assist a game, while shooting over 50% from the field. Game 2 was an anomaly, going on RUNS where he shoots them out of games, is not the norm. He is the second most efficient player in the NBA, next to Steph Curry.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics

He has a bad shooting night every once in a while, but who doesn't.

When you're shooting over 50%, that's what you do, you shoot...that is what he gets paid to do. While doing so, he also gets 5 assist a game. That is very respectable from a SF, that is a scorer.

Now look at the other perimeter players around him, except for Westbrook. Waiters is shooting 39%, Foye 34%, and Morrow 40%...are we seeing a trend here. He can't make the shots for them. He might have more assist, if not for their broke jumpers.

During the regular season, Kevin Durant averaged 28 points, 8 rebounds, and 5 assist a game, while shooting over 50% from the field. Game 2 was an anomaly, going on RUNS where he shoots them out of games, is not the norm. He is the second most efficient player in the NBA, next to Steph Curry.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics

He has a bad shooting night every once in a while, but who doesn't.

When you're shooting over 50%, that's what you do, you shoot...that is what he gets paid to do. While doing so, he also gets 5 assist a game. That is very respectable from a SF, that is a scorer.

Now look at the other perimeter players around him, except for Westbrook. Waiters is shooting 39%, Foye 34%, and Morrow 40%...are we seeing a trend here. He can't make the shots for them. He might have more assist, if not for their broke jumpers.
Everyone is in entitled to their opinion. But you're pretty much the only one with a clue on this topic

DocAg......

Don't you worry your pretty little head. After this season is over KD will have a brand new coach. A great coach. Arguably one of the greatest coaches in NBA history. His name is Greg.

You see, the powers that be at NBA head shed saw years ago that there would be a star studded free agent class this year. Sooooo, the NBA decided to raise the salary cap by 18 million. Lebron, dewayne, KD-- tons of guys in this class. And with a few moves by Los Spurs, Manu retires, moves to Argentina and gets into politics. Red Rocket retires, and SA will have 24 million dollars to give to KD to come and build the NEW big 3.

Pretty much what I was gonna say. KD needs to come home to SA. You can bet Pop will get the best out of him. Damn, drive for five...more.

Reactions: LonghornSoldier
DocAg......

errr, not probable. leonard at the 3 and aldridge at the 4. they need a PG.

I want Durant to stay with the Thunder. A franchise that really seems to have the "it" factor. OKC fans have been very good to Durant, and that is all I care about. Hope the Thunder continue to spank Dallas.

Reactions: LonghornSoldier
elcapitan----

come on now bro!!! You's and I's knows that KD can play the two. Hell, he was running the POINT the other night when westbrook was out. He ran the POINT several times during the 2012 summer olympics. He's a swing man shooter. Dude can hit the three and create stupid mismatches. You give me Patty, KD, Leonard, Aldridge and Duncan at the 5 and I'll take all comers. OR I can roll with patty, Danny green, KD, Leonard at the 4 and Aldridge at the 5......

OR I can roll Patty, KD, Diaw, Leonard, Aldridge--- either way-- I'ma poop in your soup.

elcapitan----

come on now bro!!! You's and I's knows that KD can play the two. Hell, he was running the POINT the other night when westbrook was out. He ran the POINT several times during the 2012 summer olympics. He's a swing man shooter. Dude can hit the three and create stupid mismatches. You give me Patty, KD, Leonard, Aldridge and Duncan at the 5 and I'll take all comers. OR I can roll with patty, Danny green, KD, Leonard at the 4 and Aldridge at the 5......

OR I can roll Patty, KD, Diaw, Leonard, Aldridge--- either way-- I'ma poop in your soup.

I'm not saying KD couldn't run point or play the 2. He's got that (almost) Magic level of tools in his toolbox. But putting him at the point or SG means you're not getting the most out of him.

Where is Patty Mills in your PG rankings? Top 20?

First of all, let me say as a person I think Kevin Durant seems to be a classy guy. He's not an attention seeker and just seems to be an all around good guy.
With that thread title, and beginning like this, I thought this thread would be about Durant's less-than-classy actions and words recently. The technical foul, and calling Mark Cuban an idiot.

Cuban is an idiot at least in determining who is a superstar. I don't hold that against KD. The flagrant foul was bush league though.

Cuban is an idiot at least in determining who is a superstar. I don't hold that against KD. The flagrant foul was bush league though.

I hope you're not talking about the foul, where he simply missed the ball. That was not close to bush league, he simply missed the ball. That's weak for anyone to call that bush league...so I take it that you're talking about the elbow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT