ADVERTISEMENT

I'll tell you what worries me what if

In the OU practices, how much time is given as a focus on the defense? How much is given on the offense? I know Tech would kick the D to the curb in order for the offense to have many more reps. Does OU do the same? The announcing crew that worked the game said that the OU D had already occupied the field up to the RRR game 80% of the time.

There is one thing about the spread that might work. To run a spread offense that does not spend much time on the field, requires 2 first teams defenses that spend equal time on the field. If the O in the spread spends half as much time over a season on the field, you would need a new set of bodies on the D to absorb some of the playing time. In addition to this, run an aggressive defense that emphasizes using the fresh legs on D.

Keep thinking that. Get back to me after DC coordinator changes don't work. Just like they never did at Tech. Until then, warm up them tortillas! Lol
Metcalf if our D couldn't stop you on your first series then explain to me how on earth that is Riley's offense's fault? I truly don't get your point on face value. If our defense played great first halves but then cratered in the second halves, then I can see your point but Your logic is based on the assumption that fast scoring offenses don't let the defense rest but we couldn't stop you on the first series? Don't you think that if Riley agreed with your premise then he would not have fired Mike Stoops? Even Riley said holy crap, enough is enough. Go read Mike Stoops comments. Even he apologized for his crappy defense, he never once said, "well, we had a good plan but gosh damn, just like every game, our defense is so exhausted from the first series of the game and just can't recover." No, they just plain sucked it up.

...we fired the one person holding us back from stopping Opposing offenses from scoring every drive... we’ve been having this problem before Riley even arrived on the scene...

Our D wasn't tired they just don't tackle and got run over...These idiots train all year to not get tired, no way they are exhausted after 2 series...Weak players and weak scheme...they just plain sucked it up...

I'm trying to follow you here. So which is it, the Xs and the Os or the Jimmys and the Joes? Or is it a combo of Mike Stoops' scheme, his lack of teaching how to tackle and weak players? And now McNeil's fundamentals will improve all of that?

Also, a little harsh to call your players idiots, weak and suckass, no?

I'm trying to follow you here. So which is it, the Xs and the Os or the Jimmys and the Joes? Or is it a combo of Mike Stoops' scheme, his lack of teaching how to tackle and weak players? And now McNeil's fundamentals will improve all of that?

Also, a little harsh to call your players idiots, weak and suckass, no?
Yeah, it's a little of all, but a lot of Mike Stoops. Referring to players as idiots is perhaps a little harsh. I'm hoping McNeil can hopefully correct some of it but like I said I predict Worst case scenario a lateral move. By the way, what happened to you, did you join the Hare Krishna movement over the weekend or something? You seem somewhat relaxed.

In the OU practices, how much time is given as a focus on the defense? How much is given on the offense? I know Tech would kick the D to the curb in order for the offense to have many more reps. Does OU do the same? The announcing crew that worked the game said that the OU D had already occupied the field up to the RRR game 80% of the time.

There is one thing about the spread that might work. To run a spread offense that does not spend much time on the field, requires 2 first teams defenses that spend equal time on the field. If the O in the spread spends half as much time over a season on the field, you would need a new set of bodies on the D to absorb some of the playing time. In addition to this, run an aggressive defense that emphasizes using the fresh legs on D.
I think the point being made there was including OU's abysmal D performance against Army, where the OU D literally stayed on the field for 80% of the game because they simply couldn't get a stop due to a myriad of reasons.

Keep thinking that. Get back to me after DC coordinator changes don't work. Just like they never did at Tech. Until then, warm up them tortillas! Lol
One more thing to consider Metcalf, Texas had more passing yards than OU did but OU had more rushing yards than Texas did, so the air raid you refer to, isn't really what you may think it is.

Oh man, that moment before fans realize it was not all the DC's fault, but that Texas Tech head coach and his tortilla tossin' system he brought with him.

man, I tend to lean with Belldozer and other OU fans on this one. Riley is a good coach. I don't see OU losing again this year. That offense is going to be too much. However, I don't see the defense improving much, if at all, so it could trip them up.

One more thing to consider Metcalf, Texas had more passing yards than OU did but OU had more rushing yards than Texas did, so the air raid you refer to, isn't really what you may think it is.

Lol, keep telling yourself that. You only had more rushing yards because of one long run by Murray. You lost time of possession, so that running game you refer to, may not be what you think it is.

Texas will limit the big play if the teams meet up again. Texas was never stopped by OU. Texas was much more efficient on offense than OU. That has a greater likelihood of repeating than a busted coverage 77 yard pass play and a 67 yard run on a defense that has stopped playing.

Frankly I'm really bored of this conversation. All I know is, teams with hair on fire offenses rarely come with solid defenses. That's no accident.

Anyway, time will tell.

EDIT: In the meantime, you will continue to see me type references to OU being sand aggy, tortillas and all. Any Sooners don't like it, don't let the door hitcha where the good lord splitcha.

Lol, keep telling yourself that. You only had more rushing yards because of one long run by Murray. You lost time of possession, so that running game you refer to, may not be what you think it is.
Perhaps but Murray is a part of our running game as Sam is to yours

Frankly I'm really bored of this conversation. All I know is, teams with hair on fire offenses rarely come with solid defenses. That's no accident.

Anyway, time will tell.
I can get behind this, I'm just hoping for something around the 40 to 50 best not 100th best as we are now

Reactions: Metcalf #2
The spread was created to counter teams with superior talent on the defensive side of the ball. TTech has to do this. That is the reason Leach had some success but it was not consistent. IMO, OU does not need an edge on offense, they need to be good yet conventional.

Lol, this is too funny.

I'll help you out Bell, The issue going into another game with Texas is that your defensive line got pushed around, and that isn't going to change with a coaching change. Your little wide receivers aren't going to get bigger, Kyler isn't going to get bigger either.

However Texas is just scratching the surface of how good it can be. We have a runningback that is averaging over 6 yards a carry and we hardly use him. Texas still hasn't fully utilized Duverney. Most important, unless your DBs all hit a growth spurt, they still have no answer for the size of CJ and LJ

Don't be fooled by the more rushing yards thing, take away the Kyler run and Texas wins the rushing battle also. That was a breakdown and taking poor angles. Our defense will be much more ready for Kyler's speed than they were last time.

Lol, this is too funny.

I'll help you out Bell, The issue going into another game with Texas is that your defensive line got pushed around, and that isn't going to change with a coaching change. Your little wide receivers aren't going to get bigger, Kyler isn't going to get bigger either.

However Texas is just scratching the surface of how good it can be. We have a runningback that is averaging over 6 yards a carry and we hardly use him. Texas still hasn't fully utilized Duverney. Most important, unless your DBs all hit a growth spurt, they still have no answer for the size of CJ and LJ

Don't be fooled by the more rushing yards thing, take away the Kyler run and Texas wins the rushing battle also. That was a breakdown and taking poor angles. Our defense will be much more ready for Kyler's speed than they were last time.

Its done Bell, ya ass got beat ! Don't bring that covered wagon shit over crying!

Hook'em

Reactions: outhereincali
It's already happening....
Lol, this is too funny.

Wasatch, you make some good points. Some things to consider for me is that Texas came after Murray but I never saw Murray lose his composure. Sam played a dang good game, do you think he’ll duplicate that performance week in and week out. That’s going to be a big deciding factor imo. Agree about OU’s defense, we knew it was bad, I’m hopeful for any improvement: I think Riley will have a good game plan if we do meet again but there’s a lot of ball to be played between now and then and unless we can get some sort of defensive continuity established, we won’t be anywhere near the Big12 CCG.

Rumor is Riley may be targeting Peter Golding or the Washington DC, for what its worth.

I think he's referring to Mike Singletary a former Baylor lb and I have to admit he was a helluva player. Maybe he mentioned him because we're playing Baylor tomorrow

I know who he's referring to, and he's a helluva coach, too. At least last I checked he was. Have no idea where he is or how he's been doing lately.

I know who he's referring to, and he's a helluva coach, too. At least last I checked he was. Have no idea where he is or how he's been doing lately.
He's coaching the memphis jungle cats or some such..... minor or arena league team.

I'll tell you what worries me...... what if sharks ever really do figure out how to attach frickin' lasers to their head......

Very disturbing thought.

Ruffin McNeil and Bob Diaco bring a dramatic improvement to OK's defense? Obviously not a top10 defense but a top 50 defense?

Let's face it they have an incredible offense. Considering who we were up against I thought our d played great for 3 quarters. But for whatever reason we hit a wall in and only 7 minutes they scored 21 points. Kyler Murray may be an s***head but the boy can ball.

They have 2 weeks to sort this thing out. Ruffin McNeill and Bob Diaco have decent resumes. And RM is a coach perhaps the only coach that Riley himself hired. It appears to me that McNeill and Riley have an excellent working relationship they did some positive things together when they were at East Carolina. And Diaco was a Broyles award finalist. You have to know they have a few decent players. We can speculate all we want my thoughts from what I've seen and heard is s that the players were tuning Mike Stoops out.

I doubt it will happen but KM might surprise us and get with the defensive coaches and ask what can the offense do to help out the d? You know be a leader. One of the biggest problems is time of possession. Joel Klatt was saying in their previous two games the OK d was on the field a total of 82 minutes. We had a decisive edge in top which is what our coaches were trying to do. Now I understand why their d was cramping up and limping off the field that and the weather

Let's face it this year the Big XII is TX, WV, OK, and everyone else. So there's a chance we will play these guys again. If they run the table then they're back in the title game. OK/WV play on the day after Turkey Day at Morgantown a spot in the Big XII title game will be at stake.

My .02 worth

Reactions: Metcalf #2
I'll tell you what worries me...... what if sharks ever really do figure out how to attach frickin' lasers to their head......

Very disturbing thought.

Lol. I'll tell you what worries me. That I might be the only asshole that busts out laughing every time they show that Dr. Ford woman on TV, because all I see is Garth from Wayne's World.

Reactions: freeper
He's coaching the memphis jungle cats or some such..... minor or arena league team.
I think he’s coaching a high school team as well because the schedules of both teams apparently don’t overlap

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT