ADVERTISEMENT

I'm going to watch the NFL draft on Thursday

Thoughts on the first round. At least half of the players drafted were from the SEC and if you throw in Clemson and tOSU it might be as high as 22.

I look at the Big XII and 3 teams sent 5 players in the first round which is as good as the Big XII has done in a long time. We all knew that Lamb and Murray would go in the 1rst round but TCU sent 2 players in the first round. That really pi**es me off. They take players and develop them into first round picks. I don't think Jalen Reagor can play in the NFL he drops the ball to much. But they had a number 1 pick last year as well and it makes me angry that our coaches can't do that. What makes me even more angry is that our kids have talent but we haven't had a #1 pick since 2015. And as bad as TT's defense was last yeartheir new coaching staff did a great job of taking Jordyn Brooks game to the next level. I think he'll be a good pro.

One last thought I've got my fingers crossed that Devin Duvernay will get drafted tomorrow night. I've read numerous mock drafts that have him going in the 2nd or 3rd round to the Ravens. That would be great of it happens the Ravens are just a players from winning the SB. I've got my fingers crossed.

Ossai, Cook, Green, Sterns, Cosmi, Sweat, Coburn, Watson and Adeoye all have a decent to outside shot at being a late 1st rounder.

I don't follow drafts and what nearly as close as I used to, but I don't see a top 10-15 talent on this Texas roster right now. I know we have some good football players. And we have a few guys that COULD be a top 10-15 NFL pick, but that mostly lies within the player themselves.

@clob94 @speedstrength and some others could probably do a better job analyzing, but it's late and I'm bored. Most of this is sunshine pumping, but we need some positivity in these times.

In no particular order (except Ossai). These are "best-case scenario" thoughts.

1 - Joseph Ossai - he has the size and speed to be a game changer in the NFL. He needs to badly improve his tackling technique and his ability to read mesh and routes quicker. The latter come with experience. He absolutely dominated in the bowl game and had a terrific Sophomore season. He reminds me of Derrick Johnson so much. DJ was a slightly better playmaker at the same point in their college career, but I feel like Ossai is a slightly better athlete. I'm excited to see how this year turns out for him. If he progresses like DJ, he will be a top 15 NFL pick like DJ.

2 - Sam Cosmi - had a very good first year and took a step back this past year. He seemed to have gotten worse technique wise which is weird. He had a tendency to lose leverage and get out over his skis too often. His hips didn't seem as flexible this past year and was beat on double moves quite a bit. Maybe he was hurt? If he can progress to a better version of his Freshman year then he could be a late 2nd/early 3rd next year.

3 - Caden Sterns - he gets a lot of tackles, but he isn't a very good tackler IMO. He is very smart and athletic. Reminds me of Mike Huff! Huff was a terrific tackler and very smart. Sterns needs to stay healthy for an entire season. Tighten up the tackling technique and I see him as a late 1st/early 2nd round pick. If he anchors a D that is top 20 in the nation and Texas gets in the playoff, then I see him as a mid-late 1st rounder.

4. Cook/Green - I'll just put these guys together because they have similar builds and playing ability...although I think a healthy Cook is slightly better (or maybe it's Green haha, they're like twins out there). Both have the size and athletic ability. Both have the make-up speed and both had injuries to deal with their Soph. year. It comes down to shear will power and work ethic with these two. They can line up against anyone, but if they want to be elite, they have to put in elite work. Maybe they do, I have no idea. If they can stay healthy and if they are hungry to be in the NFL, then they could both be late 1st/early 2nd.

5. Sweat/Coburn - I'm so excited to see what these two can do in a 4 man front. It'll also be interesting to see if Coburn is the 2i/1 and Sweat the 3, or if these two just alternate that 2i/1 spot and wear out the opposing OL. Sweat is a monster. I wish I knew what he was doing in conditioning/WR. 6-4, 335. Hopefully he is working. Coburn is no little guy either...6-2, 350. I hope someone is watching his diet to keep him at playing weight (I'm sure they are). These dudes are pluggers man. 3 guys would have an extremely hard time blocking them. They both have a LONG way to go learning to wedge, fire hands, rip, etc. but the natural size and ability is there. I could see both being top 15 NFL picks if they produce the numbers. Gotta work though.

6 - Adeoye - I don't know enough to give any kind of analysis. Stats, size and speed wise he is a guy that could be a 1st or 2nd day pick in the NFL draft. He did have a very good Alamo Bowl.

7 - K. Watson - It is nice to have depth and competition in the secondary again! It was good times having Terrell Brown, Aaron Ross and Ced Griffin at corner back in the day. Plus Huff and the Griffin bros at safety. I feel like we are on the cusp of having that again. Watson was a very exciting player against Tech. Handled himself very well and made some plays. He has the size and definitely the speed to develop into a serious NFL talent. Just like Cook/Green, he just needs to hone his craft, study film, take care of his nutrition and stay healthy. He could very easily turn into a mid-late 1st round corner in two years.

I think the Cowboys drafting Lamb in the first round was a home run pick.
Yeah but look who was the first wr taken, Ruggs. Before the season or even the combine I’m not sure he was a 1st rd pick much less the first wr off the board but just goes to show that you can’t coach speed and it sure paid off for him.

Reactions: LonghornMM
I don't know if you remember Phil Villapiano he was a bad*** lb for the Oakland Raiders back when the Raiders were the bad***es of the NFL. Anyway he has a radio show and during the season he gives his thoughts on the Raiders.

That being said he said he was glad the Raiders traded Amari Cooper he said AC was a punk said he wouldn't catch it over the middle and ran out of bounds on purpose. I haven't watched enough of the Cowboys so all I know is what he said. But I do know one thing and that's CeeDee Lamb is no punk. We all know he's a great receiver but I've watched him flatten linebackers that were at least 30 pounds heavier than him and I saw him do it a few times. Somebody in Dallas is going to. be sitting in the bench next season.

I remember Villapiano. Good player for the Raiders. He's wrong on Cooper though. He's absolutely balled out for the Cowboys. That was a great trade to get him. Now Dallas needs to get some help on the defensive side. They need LB, CB, DL and maybe a safety.

I hate that pick with a passion, Cowboys need help on D and had the number 1 safety just sitting there and blow it as usual. We lost of ton of defense players CBs, safeties etc...and if Dak can't hit the receivers why pay for this offense and tie up all your money.....

If you're concerned that Dak can't hit the WRs, then why do you want his skill players to be less talented and capable of getting open? Sounds like you should be upset the Cowboys didn't draft a QB.

Never draft for need as the #1 priority.

Reactions: weevilcatch
I don't currently see any first round talent on this team. Someone could blossom, but I don't see it right now.

Agreed. Right now, there is nobody. What a sad state of affairs we have been in. Need this nightmare to end, lol.

What do you see in the guys I gave a little analysis about above? Lets talk some actual football, haha

Ossai, to me, is the closest to being a sure fire 1st rounder, but he's not there yet.

Reactions: westx
I remember Villapiano. Good player for the Raiders. He's wrong on Cooper though. He's absolutely balled out for the Cowboys. That was a great trade to get him. Now Dallas needs to get some help on the defensive side. They need LB, CB, DL and maybe a safety.

I'm of the school that in round 1 you take the absolute best player available on YOUR board and then fill need rounds 2-7.

Past drafts with Pro-bowlers from rounds 2-7 and UFA's

2009 - 6
2010 - 15
2011 - 5
2012 - 15
2013 - 8
2014 - 5
2015 - 8
2016 - 9
2017 - 3, but a little early to tell...this is these players 4th year in the league and time to shine
2018 - 1, but 3 made the All-Rookie 1st team. Year 3 should see a few more break into the lineup
2019 - way too early to tell, but 4 made the All-Rookie 1st team

Of course it is a crap shoot, but it is amazing how the same teams seem to find and develop talent year after year.

If you're concerned that Dak can't hit the WRs, then why do you want his skill players to be less talented and capable of getting open? Sounds like you should be upset the Cowboys didn't draft a QB.

Never draft for need as the #1 priority.

Agreed...see my post above.

Don't think too much in round 1. And if you don't think Dak can hit a receiver, what the actual heck is drafting a safety going to do? lol.

Of course it is a crap shoot, but it is amazing how the same teams seem to find and develop talent year after year

The Cowboys were years ahead of the league when it came to finding and developing talent.....but that was decades ago. They are now among the worst at it.

The Cowboys were years ahead of the league when it came to finding and developing talent.....but that was decades ago. They are now among the worst at it.

This is an unfortunate truth...:(

I will say though, they have hardly missed on their first 2 picks the last several years...so there's that. 9/18 have been named to at least one Pro-Bowl since 2010.

Then there's the 09 draft...smh. What a piece of shit, lol

I agree with the first part of your comment, but disagree with the second part. The Cowboys set the bar for scouting, discovery and player development back in the Tex Schramm, Tom Landry and Gil Brandt era. That is why they were so successful in the 60's and 70's. They hit a low spot in the late 90's through about 2013. Since then, Stephen Jones has taken over much of the decision making on personnel from Jerry Jones. SJ has made much smarter decisions on free agents and draft choices, and it shows. The Cowboys have a lot talent now, compared to a decade or so ago. Now they just have to put all of the pieces together and show results in the win column and playoffs.

The Cowboys took free agents that turned out to be HOF because they might not have even played football before.(Cornel Green)...They took guys that were in the service that would not be eligible for years (Staubach, Jennings)...they took guys that were in other leagues and not at that time draftable( Hershal Walker). They took track guys that may or may not have ever played football and turned them into all pro guys, maybe HOF even ( Mel Renfroe, Bob Hays)

They revolutionized scouting ( invented the 40 yd dash as the standard)…..ans then....Jerra gets jealous of Jimmy and undid the whole deal....congrats Jerra….you beat all the give a damn out of me.

The Cowboys took free agents that turned out to be HOF because they might not have even played football before.(Cornel Green)...They took guys that were in the service that would not be eligible for years (Staubach, Jennings)...they took guys that were in other leagues and not at that time draftable( Hershal Walker). They took track guys that may or may not have ever played football and turned them into all pro guys, maybe HOF even ( Mel Renfroe, Bob Hays)

They revolutionized scouting ( invented the 40 yd dash as the standard)…..ans then....Jerra gets jealous of Jimmy and undid the whole deal....congrats Jerra….you beat all the give a damn out of me.

I've said this many times. If Jerrah would've just sat the crap down and let Jimmie do his thing, we would've been the Pats before the Pats. Guarantee you we win 5/6 Super Bowls from 1990-2010, or whenever Aikman decided to retire.

Jerrah decided that he was so good at being a GM he could put together a roster any coach could win with. That is how we ended up with Chan Gailey and Dave Campo, smh.

It still irks me that he screwed it up so badly.

I've said this many times. If Jerrah would've just sat the crap down and let Jimmie do his thing, we would've been the Pats before the Pats. Guarantee you we win 5/6 Super Bowls from 1990-2010, or whenever Aikman decided to retire.

Jerrah decided that he was so good at being a GM he could put together a roster any coach could win with. That is how we ended up with Chan Gailey and Dave Campo, smh.

It still irks me that he screwed it up so badly.

Well you can day what you want but by golly nobody did it better than Jerry last night. Did you check it out weevilcatch? I mean all the other coaches and gm's made their selections from their own homes. Not Jerry. He made his selection from his yacht. I mean where was he? If I know one thing about Dallas is that you can't go sailing there.

lol

Last edited:
Well you can day what you want but by golly nobody did it better than Jerry last night. Did you check it out weevilcatch? I mean all the other coaches and gm's made their selections from their own homes. Not Jerry he made his selectioselection from his yacht. I mean where was he? If I know one thing about Dallas is that you can't go sailing th there.

lol

He’s social distancing

Reactions: diadevic
I agree with the first part of your comment, but disagree with the second part. The Cowboys set the bar for scouting, discovery and player development back in the Tex Schramm, Tom Landry and Gil Brandt era. That is why they were so successful in the 60's and 70's. They hit a low spot in the late 90's through about 2013. Since then, Stephen Jones has taken over much of the decision making on personnel from Jerry Jones. SJ has made much smarter decisions on free agents and draft choices, and it shows. The Cowboys have a lot talent now, compared to a decade or so ago. Now they just have to put all of the pieces together and show results in the win column and playoffs.
I agree, but another problem Dallas has had is they miss some windows of opportunities when they appear to have all of the pieces in place. These windows close pretty fast as it is hard to hang on to all of your top players to other teams or age. We lose some crucial talent filled years due to bad coaching or taking too long to build a particular weakness. We had couple of years during the Romo era and we are currently in one of those windows where we have Zeke, Cooper and a good line that is aging.

Wonder what Bill O'Brian was pissed about. Did y'all see that? I am just guessing his desired pick was usurped by the GM's desired pick.

Reactions: LonghornMM
Did not see brandon jones going in the third round but super happy for a great longhorn.
I am happy for Jones. He will have a good career. However, who would have ever thought that Miami would be a perma-gutter team.

Last edited:
Devin to the Ravens yes!!!!! I was really hoping he would go the Ravens many mock drafts had him going there in the second or third round and he was yeah!!!## I was stating to get worried but at #92 Devin is a Baltimore Raven.

He'll be a perfect slot receiver in that offense. You put him in at the slot on one side and Hollywood Brown on the other and now Lamar Jackson has some serious deep threats. Put them on the field at the same time and someone is bound to be open. It's the one thing that was missing in he Ravens offense.

And the Ravens have showed that there are TX Longhorns who are not only NFL worthy but they're starting for one of the 2 best teams in the NFL. Matter of fact there are 10 Big XII guys on the Ravens I can't think of any other team with that many.

HookemHorns

Last edited:
Reactions: westx
I'm really happy for Brandon Jones. Nobody has more draft picks than the Dolphins. That makes sense they were one of the worst teams last year. They're obviously rebuilding and that means that Brandon Jones has a chance to be a starter. Way to go and

HookemHorns

Reactions: freeper
ESPN Gameday is having the crew (Herbstreit, Howard, Pollack and Davis) is having a NFL Draft special. I never knew they did this. Herbstreit just torched Eason at QB. I didn't watch from the beginning because I didn't know about it, but I like the college angle.

Reactions: freeper
I agree, but another problem Dallas has had is they miss some windows of opportunities when they appear to have all of the pieces in place. These windows close pretty fast as it is hard to hang on to all of your top players to other teams or age. We lose some crucial talent filled years due to bad coaching or taking too long to build a particular weakness. We had couple of years during the Romo era and we are currently in one of those windows where we have Zeke, Cooper and a good line that is aging.

Agreed. Frederick already hung them up. Smith doesn't have much time left. Martin is already starting with the injuries. That was our big 3 on the OL.

Collins was a terrific sign. Time for Williams, McGovern and Knight to step up

So another segment on Gameday Draft just now was the funniest or memorable moments of the draft.
Belichek feeding his dog
and these two: (funny)

and

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT