Immediate Reactions to Sark's Kansas Presser

Alex Dunlap

Any Updates on Desmond Harrison?
Staff
Jan 18, 2005
Travis Settlement, TX
SPONSORED BY MYPERFECTFRANCHISE.NET
Are you…
  • Ready to leave the corporate Rat Race for the American Dream?
  • Looking for a side hustle while working your current job?
  • Wanting to diversify, build wealth, and/or leave a legacy?
Andy can help!!!
Andy is a franchise consultant (as well as franchise owner) and helps people find franchises that fit their skill sets, financial requirements, time to commit and more….
His services are 100% free and he’s here to help if you have any questions about business ownership.
image_from_ios.jpg

Learn more about Andy and franchise ownership through these resources:
Andy's Story
Why a Franchise
Service Based vs Brick and Mortar
Semi Absentee Ownership
The Process and How It works

Andy Luedecke
www.MyPerfectFranchise.Net
p: 404-973-9901
e: andy@myperfectfranchise.net
Book time with me at: Andy's Calendar

Here are a few immediate thoughts and reactions to Steve Sarkisian's Kansas game-week press conference, coming off a great win in Waco as Texas said good riddance to Baylor, and keeping the Horns in complete control of their own destiny, now into conference play:

- Alex Loeb lets us know that Texas has the third-best chance to make the CFP (44%). ALEX'S THOUGHTS: OU is in second at 47%. What a monster Red River game this could turn out to be.

- ESPN FPI now has Texas as a 46% chance to beat OU. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: I don't get how it all works, but it's better than the 39% chance it had for Texas last week.

- Neat, we get to see some footage of Lowell Gallindo, Michael Griffin, Brian Robinson and Fozzy Whittaker at the exotic resort zoo in Johnson City. They fed a giraffe, and then fed a camel with food out of their mouths to give it "camel kisses." I spied a juvenile axis deer, and they also fed an ostrich. Michael Griffin seemed a little scared of the ostrich. Robison licked a buffalo's tongue. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: Alex Loeb said he'll be a happy man "If I never see B-Rob tonguing a buffalo again." I guess I kind of agree.

- Still wating for Sark, so we get, once again, the "A Day in the Life of Quinn Ewers" vignette. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: At least we'll get to see that deer mount in his living room and that Lonesome Dove poster.

- ALEX'S THOUGHTS: Bianco needs to just change the start time of these things to 11:30. The real question is if we'll get the Jaylan Ford/Derrick Johnson piece from back in June.

- ALEX'S THOUGHTS: I called it. DJ/Ford vignette.

- Sark said he was really proud of the team for playing complementary football and that they need to improve on special teams. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: Any time you muff two punts, I think you can improve.

- Sark says that he's proud to be one of the top, or THE top, red-zone defense in preventing scoring. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: Very impressive indeed.

- Sark talks up Liepold, Daniels, Neal and the Kansas DBs. Also mentioned we're going to have a triple-digit heat index on Saturday. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: Will this summer ever end?

- Danny Davis asked about Daniels: "He's a true dual threat .. ny no means is it gimmicky." ALEX'S THOUGHTS: The team needs to focus on Daniels this week that they had on Milroe in the week leading into that game.

- Anwar asked about J Brooks and if he's earned the right to be RB1: "He got great experience with Bijan and Roschon," he said. Picked up a lot from those guys. On the leadership committee, worker, reliable. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: He did say that entering the season that CJ Baxter had earned the right to be the first out, but "things have shifted" ... which is telling, but he also mentioned that Baxter is not really "all the way back yet" physically. Very telling answer and good Q from Anwar.

- Thomas Jones asked if they'll change the return man from Worthy. "No." ALEX'S THOUGHTS: Very quick answer. Worthy is too explosive to take off the field, those muffs did really feel out of character for him. Another one or two of those might change the calculus, though.

- Kirk Bohls asked what's most impressive about KU's ascendance: He said they're in Year 3 like Texas and have done a good job in the portal. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: He said their Front four is more like a front 10 with all the transfer DLs they've brought in. Sounds like they'll be able to keep those guys fresh if the heat is indeed an issue. Sark seems to like their DL depth.

- Joe Cook asked about using the last game versus KU at home as motivation. "We've come a long way with this program ... we don't have to go backwards." ALEX'S THOUGHTS: Eyes of the prize. Realize they are a good football team and go to work.

- KXAN guy asked about David Gbenda: "I love David Gbenda's story." He talked about how he's a prime example of perseverance. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: In the age of the portal, we're getting less and less of these guys who come into their own late in their careers to become front-line players after not getting much PT early. Sark said they're "a dying breed." Of course Sark said he'd like to see more examples of that type of player ... and of course he would, it means that guys you'd like to keep around don't have to be persuaded every year not to leave. Whole new world in college football these days.

- Jeff Jones asked about Byron Murphy. Sark said he's built like a pit bull. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: It's the exact thing I always say and the exact animal comparison. You can also see what an athlete he is when he gets to play on offense as an H-back. Will be a good NFL player one day.

- Ced Golden asked about Xavier Worthy's ups and downs as a returner, the same question basically already asked. Sark said he's still a VERY confident return man. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: Sark said it was a knuckleball sidewinding kick and his feet weren't underneath him. Worthy will be fine. He's got a ton of swag and I'm sure he has a short memory. One other thing Sark said that was interesting is that he's blocking at an extremely high level. (A lot of guys look really good compared to Mitchell's blocking at times)

- Chip asked if Jalen Catalon is on a pitch count. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: This question was asked last week where Sark answered the same way, that the rotation, like the one at RG prior to Hutson getting hurt and at CB currently, is beneficial in both the long term for development, and also in getting matchups they like.

- Ed Clements asked if this is a trap game: "I appreciate the question. This is a Top 25 matchup of two teams and we are playing for first place." ALEX'S THOUGHTS: This and more of this. When you design your destiny you have to be intentional with each successive step and this is a 4-0 football team. No one in their right mind could ever overlook it.

- Sark on what he learned of the last KU loss: "Externally, it felt worse (than it did among the team)." He said "in a weird way, I'm kinda glad it happened. It exposed some warts that needed to be removed." ALEX'S THOUGHTS: It felt about like getting some warts burned off at the time, painful and embarrassing.

- Leah Vann asked about Ewers and what Sark's looking for this week: "Trust in his preparation ... so that he can play loose, free and confident." ALEX'S THOUGHTS: You don't want him to be completely freewheeling, but Quinn always had a little bit of that gunslinger in him ... the YOLO Ewers we talk about. Sark's right to like him in that element.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News