ADVERTISEMENT

Inside the War Room (Nov 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suchomel

Staff
Aug 10, 2001
This was a wild week of UT football rumors, which is to be expected with Texas struggling to put together marks in the win column. If history has shown us anything on this site, it’s that the rumor mill is usually working overtime when the Horns are suffering down years on the field.

This week, there was talk all around the web that Texas was already making modifications, or additions, to its football staff in the way of former UT assistant Dick Tomey.

Both Mack Brown and UT Sports Information Director John Bianco swiftly and definitively shot the rumor down, and people we talked to behind the scenes did as well.

Here’s what we were told on what really ended up being a non-story other than the fans getting worked into a frenzy for a day or two …

Tomey was in fact in Austin last weekend and he was on the sidelines of the UT-Baylor game, which undoubtedly was the source of the rumors. However, Tomey was not in Austin for weeks, as has been discussed. In fact, he did the broadcast for the San Jose State-Fresno State the weekend before last.

Tomey and his wife, Nanci, are very close friends with Mack and Sally Brown, and Tomey remains very good friends with a number of people on the UT football staff. His wife has been in Austin for several weeks spending time with the Browns. We were actually told that Tomey’s visit to Austin had been set up a long time ago, possibly even before the season began.

Of course, it’s likely that Mack Brown and Tomey talked shop, as any set of friends and colleagues would, while Tomey was in town, but that’s the extent of things. Texas is committed to straightening this season out with the guys on staff, and any consideration of changes, if they happen at all, will not happen until the season is over. It’s as simple as that.

Secondly, there’s been a lot of talk that there was some sort of disagreement between UT coaches in the locker room following a recent game. Again, the people we talked to said that simply was not the case.

“That’s definitely not true,” one person said. “If it happened, it happened in private because nobody on the team has heard of it.”

All this is not to say there haven’t been moments of frustration within the program ? there’s not a coach or player on the team that’s happy with how this season has gone through eight games. But there have been some sensational claims of late, which tends to happen during tough times, and all indications from the people we've talked to are that they’re not true or are being exaggerated. (Suchomel)

Some additional comments from Scottsdale (Az.) Chapparal quarterback Connor Brewer, who was in Austin last weekend for an unofficial visit.

Brewer is rumored to be among the top couple prospects that Texas is considering at the quarterback position for 2012. Brewer and his family really enjoyed the visit, but he said he was given no indication on where he fits on UT’s QB recruiting pecking order.

“They're not going to offer anyone until they see them on the grass themselves. They said they’re going to get out there to see me, maybe come out and see me in spring time,” Brewer said. “Then things will go from there.

“They didn't really put a number on me. They just said I'm one of a small handful of guys that they're evaluating, getting to know more of. They’re just trying to see which one fits Texas best.”

Brewer, whose sister is a freshman on the UT swim team, was accompanied on the visit by his parents. His parents had met the UT footballs staff very briefly, but this was the first time they had a chance to get an in-depth look at the UT program.

"All colleges are going to be nice, but Texas was a great place,” Brewer said. “They have great facilities, I like the character of all their players. I got to meet a couple of them. Texas is a great place."

Along with some current members of the team, Brewer also had a chance to chat with UT commitment Malcolm Brown and former Horn QB Colt McCoy. Brewer said there’s a good chance he could return to Austin for a junior day, spring practice or a summer camp.

There have been reports that UT holds the early edge, but Brewer denied those talks. There has also been speculation by people out west that Brewer could favor UCLA (his brother is a pitcher for the Bruin baseball team), but he shot those rumors down as well.

“That’s just people trying to read between the lines. I visited UCLA with one of my linemen, met their coaches, went to their camp,” Brewer said. “It’s a great school, but it's hard to tell right now who is on top. This summer, I’ll probably narrow it down.” (Suchomel)

Most of you probably read our Javonte Magee, talking about his visit to UT for the Baylor game.

Without going into specifics, Magee said he’s been told that he’s very high on UT’s list, and it sounds like he’s all but a lock to pick up a scholarship offer when the Texas staff extends formal invitations at the team’s junior days in February.

Magee declined to name a top five, but said Texas is “up there.” We continue to hear that the Horns are in a strong position on this one. So what did the big fella say stands out when he thinks about UT?

“How the coaches been treating me. They’re treating me really good,” Magee said. “I like that. I’m building that relationship with them. I talk to them a lot and they've come up to visit me.” (Suchomel)

A quick update on top 2012 ATH Bralon Addison

Saturday games have limited Addison’s ability to take in many college games, but tThe Missouri City Hightower standout is set to visit Oklahoma State this weekend.

As for Texas, the 5-10, 182-pounder said things have been pretty quiet of late.

“There’s nothing really new there. It's kind of getting down to the core of the season for them, so I haven't really been receiving anything,” Addison said. “They’re not bothering me. They’re getting down to the nitty gritty and I’m trying to keep my head on my high school season.”

Addison is keeping an open list, but Texas is one of the schools he’s mentioned in the past on which he’s keeping an eye.

“They're a good program. I grew up in Texas, watched them a lot,” Addison said. “It would be a real blessing if I do hear from them. If I get the chance to hear from them, that would be great with the type of program and tradition they have.” (Suchomel)

More on Myck Kabongo

There were some rumors and speculation out there about Kabongo possibly being a big-time Syracuse lean, or even trying to commit to the ‘Cuse. From what I’ve heard, that wasn’t exactly the case. He might have flirted with the Orange some, but making a commitment goes against everything I’ve heard.

According to assistant coach Todd Simon at Findley Prep, Kabongo just wanted to step back and make sure he was making the right decision. Simon went on to talk about how proud Kabongo was about his decision to attend Texas and that once he became a decommit he realized just how much he bonded with the UT coaches and the university. The relationship he’s built with Barnes was key, and Rodney Terry was outstanding in this recruitment.

At the end of the day, this sounds like an instance of a kid that flirted with another hot girl for a little bit, but realized he had a perfect match with the hot girl he was with. Simon told me on the phone that the Findley Prep five-star point guard just wanted to make extra sure he was making the right, mature decision.

The thought of possibly playing with Austin Rivers at Duke probably caused some hesitation, but Kabongo quickly learned that wouldn’t happen. Syracuse moved on from Kabongo a long time ago when he originally committed to Texas, and obviously, Kabongo did the same.

As I stated yesterday, Kabongo texted me that he plans on signing next week. Obviously, this is HUGE news for Texas because it desperately needed to hold on to this elite point guard. (McComas)

Another name Texas fans need to get used to hearing is Anrio Adams. UT has had some success recently recruiting the Pacific Northwest, and Adams is a 6-3, 183 pound shooting guard from Seattle Franklin High School. Adams plays his AAU ball for the legendary Rotary Club that’s been called home by Aaron Brooks, Marvin Williams, Brandon Roy and a lot of Seattle area stars. According to Adams, it sounds like Texas is definitely in the mix.

“Yes, they’ve been recruiting me a lot recently,” stated Adams about Texas. “Avery Bradley was a guy I talked to a lot. That was a guy I could relate to since he was from the same area. Coach [Rick] Barnes and Coach [Russell] Springmann are talking to me.”

The scoring guard hasn’t taken visits lately because he still needs to talk the SAT, and it’s not something he’s focused on right now. Along with the Longhorns, the schools near the top of the list, and the ones that are showing him the most interest, are Arizona, UCLA and Baylor.

When asked if he’d visit UT, Adams responded with, “Definitely. Texas is a school I plan on visiting.”

My take: Texas is absolutely in the top three and will earn a visit from Adams. Don’t worry about his conversations with Bradley because it’s done more good than harm. It sounds like his top three is UCLA, Arizona, and Texas. UT needs to get him on campus, and it doesn’t sound like that will be an issue. According to Adams, he’ll make a decision during his senior year. He's regarded as the No. 2 player in the state of Washington. (McComas)

Last week I introduced you to Archie Goodwin, and I was able to catch up some with the shooting guard this week. Texas is trying to throw its hat into the ring for the 2012 five-star, and it sounds like the Horns are making a good impression.

“Texas is talking to me a lot,” said the 6-4 guard from Sylvan Hills in Arkansas. “I’ve talked to Coach Barnes [and] Coach Ogden. Every time we talk he’s [Ogden] always telling me about things that can help me at school. They seem like they really care. And they put out a lot of great players like Kevin Durant.”

Goodwin, who visited Arkansas last weekend, has made a ton of trips recently, and he plans on making more. Right now he’s at Kentucky, but the Horns are on the visit list.

“I’m trying to get down there as soon as possible. Coach Barnes keeps trying to get me down there. They’re definitely on my list,” stated Goodwin.

My take: Goodwin loves him some Kentucky. He’s visiting this weekend hoping for an offer, and he gushed about Calipari and Co. when asked about Kentucky. Even though the Longhorn coaching staff has given him a lot of attention, I don’t see it happening. If Kentucky offers him, it would immediately jump to the top of Goodwin’s list. A couple of people I talked to last week felt like the Longhorns could be a player, but after talking to Goodwin myself, I just don’t see it happening. (McComas)

This is premium content. Please subscribe to view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News