ADVERTISEMENT

Inside the War Room (October 21)

Suchomel

Staff
Aug 10, 2001
Brought to you by ...

1125635.jpg

Talked to a couple officials at schools in the Big 12 today, and they are expecting Missouri's board of curators, who are meeting in Kansas City, to announce on Friday that the Tigers are withdrawing from the Big 12 and will apply for membership in another conference (the SEC).

Multiple sources say the Missouri board of curators - and not MU chancellor Brady Deaton - took over this process and is spearheading the drive to leave the Big 12. After leading the charge to help hold the Big 12 together in September, Deaton later resigned his posts as head of the five-member, Big 12 expansion committee and as the chair of the Big 12 Board of Directors. Sources said the curators encouraged Deaton to take such action, and those were telling signs.

The leading candidates to replace Mizzou are West Virginia and Louisville.

And it looks like the Big 12 will stay at 10 schools for the short-term because the per-school TV revenue is likely to come down from $18 million to $15 million if the league goes from 10 to 12, sources said.

There is also still a belief among Big 12 administrators - driven primarily by Texas - that Notre Dame would ultimately move its sports other than football from the Big East into the Big 12. Football at Notre Dame would remain independent.

Stay tuned. (Brown)

Texas still needs to add to its 2012 OL recruiting class, and Stacy Searels will be on the road this weekend, including a brand new name to the UT recruiting watch list.

Searels will head east to watch Northwest Mississippi Community College offensive tackle Donald Hawkins on Saturday. Hawkins is a current Oklahoma State commitment.

"I just talked to him about an hour ago. He said he's coming in on Saturday," Hawkins said on Thursday night. "I want to put on a show for him, give the man what he wants. He told me he wants 7 pancakes. I told him I can get 7 if they don't pull me."

The DL coach for NWCC, Jon Fabris, coached with Searels at Georgia.

"Early this week, I got a message relayed to me by one of my coaches. He asked me would I be interested in going to Texas because the O-line coach from Texas saw my film and they were having some inconsistent play with their lineman," Hawkins said. "That led him to come to Juco to look at me.

"He said I'm a big need for Texas. thought I told him I thought Texas didn't recruit junior college players. He said they don't normally, but will if it's a need. He said they're interested in me and he didn't want to waste time if not I'm not interested."

"I told him right now I'm committed to Oklahoma State but I'm not 100 percent on that."

Hawkins said there's been talk of him coming to Austin on a visit. He's already taken two trips and has one lined up for Oklahoma State, leaving him with two remaining. Hawkins said he'd like to take one to an SEC school and one from another conference. He plans to settle on his final two visit sometime next week.

"He's going to come in to watch the game, get to know me a little bit. He said he's pretty high on me," Hawkins said. "He wants me get me down there, wants me to be a Longhorn. He watched my film, he thinks I'm the best junior college OL there is."

Florida and Georgia are among the other schools who have been heavily recruiting Hawkins of late.

We're supposed to follow up with Hawkins next week. (Suchomel)

A couple quick-hitter notes from Mack Brown that didn't make it into our breakdown this week ...

--- On the UT fans ... Mack said he hasn't had so many letters and notes of encouragements from fans since his first year in Austin. People are constantly telling the team to keep fighting even though they're starting over.

"What I have learned about Texas fans from the first year I got here, they want you to be well coached and they want you to try hard," Mack said. "They expect those two things, and that's the most important thing. Right now the guys are coaching as hard as they can, and these kids are trying. And I think fans appreciate that."

--- Mack had some interesting thoughts on college football trends ...

On head injuries: "If you say I'm a little dizzy or have a headache, they pull you out. Period. And they will not let you go back in." Many of the collisions on kick-offs. NFL changed it, he wouldn't mind seeing college look at it.

On up-tempo offenses: You can't substitute with defense. Having to coach tempo in practice. Can't substitute because teams will trap a defense with 12 on the field. To a point, if a team is on its own boundary and it runs a player in, and then the defense tries to substitute but the ref doesn't see the offensive change, the D will get hit with 12 on the field.

In some cases, teams will wait until a d-lineman gets winded and holds his hand up ... the offense has a call when it sees that to get up to the line of scrimmage immediately to snap the ball and a team is caught with 12 on the field.

"It's more difficult coaching a multiple defense than ever before. Defenses got so multiple, offensive coaches are trying to figure out how to keep them more simple."

Teams are calling plays quickly, then will look to the boundary for a change if the offensive coach doesn't like what he sees in the defensive alignment. Then, the defensive players have to look over to Manny Diaz to see if he wants to make a quick change in response to the offense.

"Then Manny has to decide, do I act like I'm going to change because (the offense) is changing, do I keep the same (call), or do I change because (the offense) is changing? It's a chess game during the play, and that's never happened really in college football before."

On running teams vs. spread teams: Mack took the top 11 teams in the BCS, 7 were a power running team with play-action pass. Oregon is one of four that isn't a power team, although the Ducks are a running team they just do it out of option. Three that are predominantly pass (Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Arkansas).

"I think we're seeing a power running game come back." (Suchomel)

We mentioned earlier that Texas extended a verbal scholarship offer to Elk Grove (Ca.) Pleasant Grove OL/DL here).

Armstead will take an official visit to Notre Dame this weekend and his family's phone has been blowing up this week, so we're going to wait until next week to check in with him and/or his father.

However, Pleasant Grove head coach Joe Cattolico did give us some details on the situation, and it sounds like the Horns will have two big hurdles to cover if they're to have a fighting chance.

First, Armstead wants to play on the defensive line at college. Texas clearly has a bigger need at offensive tackle.

Second, Armstead wants to play both football and basketball in college. The Texas coaches had talked to him about that topic during their conversation this week, but it's too early to say if it's a realistic possibility.

"Part of the puzzle is not only what's being said with football, but with basketball too," Cattolico said. "It's my understanding that they (the Texas football coaches) haven't talked with the basketball folks yet, but that's in the works. The football guys are getting in touch with basketball coaches."

We'll follow up with Armstead next week to get more details. (Suchomel)

Rivals100 receiver and current Cal commitment Bryce Treggs told us this week that he's hoping to hear from the Texas coaches, and if the UT staff was to reach out to him he'd likely make his way to Austin for an official visit.

"I've been thinking about Texas ever since the opening, when I met Cayleb Jones, Johnathan Gray and Connor Brewer. They had nothing but good things to say," Treggs said. "It's one of best programs in the country over the past decade so there's a some interest in Texas."

Treggs said he'll wait to see if Texas initiates any contact rather than him putting in a call to the UT staff first. Jones and Brewer have told him they'd put in a good word for him.

"They' would def get a visit if they offered a visit," Treggs said. "Definitely."

Treggs is still committed to Cal and it may be tough to pull him away (his dad played WR there), but he said he's keeping an open mind as he takes other visits.

"That's why I'm taking the visits, to see if there's anything that can sway me away," Treggs said. "It will come down to education, the opportunity for early playing time and my relationship with the position coach."

We checked on 5-star ATH Nelson Agholor this week ... not much to report.

According to Tampa Berkeley Prep head coach Dominic Ciao, Agholor will not take any more official visits until Berkeley Prep's season is over Agholor visited Notre Dame in early October. That visit was supposed to happen over the summer, then was going to be an unofficial during a Berkeley Prep off week in October, but it was changed to an official to lessen the financial burden on Agholor's family, Ciao said.

As for Texas, Agholor has stayed in contact with the UT staff, Ciao said. As of early this week, coach Ciao did not know if the Texas coaches had any plans to make their way to Tampa for a closer look.

Agholor has not yet decided on which schools will get his remaining four visits, according to his coach. (Suchomel)

Texas made up some ground with top DE/LB target Torshiro Davis after the Shreveport Woodlawn standout took in the Horns' home game last weekend, but UT still trails LSU.

The Horns' biggest advantage, Davis said, is the opportunity to play early. For LSU, it's all about the Tigers' defense.

"You really can't compare their defense to anybody else," Davis said. (Suchomel)

The Texas coaches are on the road this week doing recruiting evaluations. Henderson QB Del Barnes told us that UT co-offensive coordinator Bryan Harsin will be at his game on Friday night against Carthage.

Mack Brown said this week that the coaches have not made a final decision on whether or not they'll pursue a second 2012 QB to go along with current commitment Connor Brewer. Barnes will get his chance to make his case on Friday night. (Suchomel)

Bastrop CB Antwuan Davis attended UT's game against Oklahoma State last week, and Davis said he actually liked seeing how Texas responded to a loss.

"So far, every one I went to, they've won. I wondered how it would be if they lost," Davis said. "I planned on them beating them but Oklahoma State won. I went to locker room, everyone was still hyped up. The coaches were still proud of the kids. It's a young team, for them to perform like that against the No. 6 team, that's good. The coaches understand they're young."

On the visit, Davis talked to Duane Akina and Akina told him Texas would be in touch.

Davis is out for a while with a fracture in his back that happened a couple weeks ago. He actually tried to play through the injury the week after it happened (it had not yet been diagnosed) but has since been told he has to shut it down for the foreseeable future. The initial diagnosis had him out for the year, but the doctors now feel there's a chance he could be ready to return to action by the end of the regular season.

Texas is still in very good shape for Davis, who checks in at No. 6 on the 2013 LSR.

"They're still high on my list. That game, that really showed the character of the coaches and the difference between winning and losing," Davis said. "It matters, but you have to get better and they got better in that game." (Suchomel)

Quarterbacks are always key to recruiting classes and the 2013 group of signal callers is already starting to emerge with college coaches from near and far already showing interest in several prospects.

Wichita Falls (Texas) Rider signal caller J.T. Barrett is one prospect receiving stacks of mail on a daily basis and is hearing from the likes of Texas, Oklahoma, Baylor, Oklahoma St. and Oregon.

The 6-2, 200-pound dual-threat quarterback recently took a few visits to check out a few programs giving him a look.

“I went to Oklahoma for the Oklahoma/Missouri game and I felt their city really had a college feel like you would imagine a college town. Norman has it,” Barrett said. “I like how Oklahoma fans really stick together. I say that because I went to the Oklahoma/Texas game and they would yell Boomer Sooner and it didn’t matter who you were or if they knew you people would yell it people would respond to it. So they always stick together.”

He attended the Red River Rivalry as a guest of the Longhorns. He could not visit with the Texas coaches due to it being at the Cotton Bowl, but he has already gotten to know coaches from both Texas and Oklahoma.

“I talk to coach Harsin on Monday. I call him up and we talk about football and just life,” he said. “Then with coach Gundy from Oklahoma I talked to him when I was there for the game.”

Those relationships are already helping Texas and Oklahoma, who both appear in the prospects early top five along with Baylor, Oregon, and Oklahoma St. Of those five, three are making an even stronger impression.

“It would be Texas, Baylor, then Oklahoma,” Barrett said. “Those are the ones I’ve really heard from. Texas, I talk to the quarterback coach all the time. Baylor, they sent me a handwritten letter. Oklahoma, I’ve been to a game in Norman and I talked to coach Gundy. It’s really just me getting a feel for what the college is like.”

On the field, Barrett is known as an athletic quarterback, but make no mistake he is a quarterback and that is where he would like to be recruited.

“My plan is to go to college and play quarterback,” he said. “I’m not trying to play receiver or something else. Since I was in fourth grade I’ve played quarterback. Last year I played some receiver and I didn’t like it that much. I know how it feels. It’s not like I just haven’t experienced it. I know how it feels and I really didn’t care for it.”

With his mind set on quarterback, he has been keeping an eye on a few strong, athletic college signal callers this fall.

“Lately I’ve been watching Tahj Boyd. The way he plays I like the way he gets the ball out,” Barrett said. “He’s doing real well right now at Clemson. Then I’d probably say Robert Griffin at Baylor. He’s just the guy at Baylor. He’s putting up numbers.”

Barrett is currently ranked No. 59 in the Lone Star Recruiting’s 2013 Top 100. (Howell)

Although neither Kansas nor Texas seem to be completely confident one way or another about 2012 SG/SF Ioannis Papapetrou, the word from Papapetrou's visit is that the Horns did better than expected. He truly was blown away. Before the UT visit, Papapetrou's Melbourne Air Academy coach indicated that he was still planning an official to Florida and one to George Mason as well. Then, the 6-8, 225 pound prospect came back from his Texas visit with the intentions on ending the recruiting process this weekend with an announcement on Saturday.

Could that be good news for Texas? It sure would look that way, but each person I've talked to regarding Papapetrou still isn't confident where he'll pick. If Papapetrou does pick Texas, the Horns will have Rob Lanier, who recruited that school while at Florida, to thank. (McComas)

2012 Chester, Virginia small forward Andrew White is still expected to make his official visit to Texas this weekend. It is expected to be White's final official visit, and he recently made another unofficial visit to North Carolina State. Considering how many times White and Texas changed this official visit date, this one doesn't feel real great for the Horns. He's visited Richmond a lot unofficially along with NC State, and there is a lot of buzz surrounding Louisville and West Virginia for him. He's a very, very tough kid to read on the phone and hasn't tipped his hand one bit. I just don't get the feeling Texas is in great shape here. (McComas)
This post was edited on 10/23 1:51 PM by Suchomel

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News