ADVERTISEMENT

Instant analysis - New Texas DB commit hits as hard as anyone you'll see in 2018 class

DustinMcComas

You are what your fWAR says you are.
Gold Member
Apr 26, 2005
Wooten, Austin
Cliffs Notes: Another day, another commitment for Tom Herman and the Longhorns - Arp (Arp) 2018 safety/athlete DeMarvion Overshown became the 10th member of the Texas recruiting class when he announced his commitment on Twitter.

Rankings: According to the 2018 LSR 100, Overshown is the No. 26 player in Texas. Rivals.com rates him as a four-star prospect, and the No. 28 safety prospect nationally.

Key offers: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Colorado, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Ole Miss, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Nebraska, Texas A&M, TCU, UCLA and USC have all extended offers. And that's not all of them.

Evaluation: When I watched Ricky Seals-Jones in person multiple times as a high schooler, I thought his future was brightest on defense, and that he could be a nightmare for offenses as a linebacker or safety depending on where his body went. I feel like I'm watching Seals-Jones again on tape - a freakish athlete with the rare blend of size, speed, length, strength, and ball skills.

Overshown is listed at 6-4, 200 pounds, and he looks a little shorter and more sudden than Seals-Jones was, who was a monster of a prospect himself. Overshown is a monstrous prospect too. I can see why people think outside linebacker could be in his future because guys that are his size already usually grow a little bit. But I love him as a safety, and think he has more than enough of the physical traits and skills to stick there.

He moves well for his size, anticipates, has some fluidity in his hips with agility, has ballhawking ability, and delivers some of the biggest hits you'll find in high school football. In fact, you're probably not going to find many players nationally that are as natural at tackling while being extremely aggressive.

At Arp, Overshown is also a standout basketball player, and you can see that in the jumping ability on tape.

Why it matters: Texas just landed one of the best, and most intriguing prospects in the country. Plus, it beat out pretty much every elite program in the country to do it.

Enjoy:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News