Instant Analysis: Well, that was stunningly easy...

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
462426895_858112719813455_1839574199191706728_n.png

Sometimes in college football, one team sucks and the one that doesn't ends up giving a C+ performance.

That's what happened today.

It probably should have been: Texas 50+ Oklahoma 3.

It ended Texas 34 Oklahoma 3.

Some will remember it as the Silas Bolden game. Some might remember it as the Tre Wisner breakout game. I'm going to remember it as the day OU was the least threatening I've ever seen them in a game.

Folks, that's an OU team that would make Howard Howard Schnellenberger blush. There simply wasn't a point in this game where I ever thought OU was going to win this game and that includes when Quinn Ewers was playing liken an AISD quarterback from the three decades ago.

I've just never watched a Texas/OU game before where OU felt like a three-week old kitten. Today was the day.

Vanderbilt will put up a bigger fight, which feels like the most damning things one can say about the Sooners.

(Other thoughts on the game...)

* Let's just forget the Ewers performance in this game. He hasn't played in weeks and when he returned, he looked rusty as hell. It wasn't good, but there's no reason to make a thing out of it. That being said, he has to be back to a high standard next week.

* Tre Wisner was the best back on the field today and made the job for today his. Plain and simple. He's got to be the guy going into next week.

This is some of the best news of the day.

* Quinn Ewers by quarter...

1st Q: 3 of 5 for 13 yards, OT, 1 INT (41.8 rating)
2nd Q: 10 of 12 for 109 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT (181.7 rating)
3rd Q: 5 of 9 for 71 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT (121.8 rating)
4th Q: 2 of 3 for 6 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT (6.4 rating)

* Anthony Hill was a monster today. Just a monster. He's in the All-22. Forgive me, Ant.

* Not to live in the moment,. but was the Matthew Golden missed touchdown throw the worst pass attempt in the history of Texas football?

* Wisner making sure he covered up the ball at the one-yard line after fumbling at the five-yard line on the previous carry was chef's kiss perfect.

* Vernon Broughton was excellent today.

* I'm willing to buy the notion that Gunnar Helm is better than Ja'Tavion Sanders.

* That Silas Bolden fumble recovery is the greatest piece of coaching teaching tape in the history of Texas football. He freaking chased that ball down after staying in to block near the 40-yard line.

* Ryan Wingo is the truth.

* Kelvin Banks flat out shoved a guy in the back on the Helm touchdown reception that made it 7-3 and the officials didn't cal it.

* With seconds left in the 1st quarter, Texas gave up points in the first quarter (3) and trailed in a game.

* Quinn flat out missed what should have been a long touchdown pass to Isaiah Bond. You can't get more wide open. Ewers was without question the worst player in the field for the first 15 minutes.

* I knew OU was going to miss the opening field following the Ewers turnover when ABC showed that he was making 85% of his field goals. I know how that works.

Last edited:

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.