ADVERTISEMENT

It's 2022 - Time For The First Spring Depth Chart Projection (DEFENSE v1.0)

Alex Dunlap

Any Updates on Desmond Harrison?
Staff
Jan 18, 2005
Travis Settlement, TX
Are you a displaced corporate executive or wanting to put your career in your own hands? Or are you an experienced entrepreneur wanting to diversify? Well, Andy Luedecke can help! Andy is a long time Orangebloods member, diehard Longhorn and franchise veteran, having owned multiple franchises and businesses. Using his expertise, he helps others find their American Dream through a very thorough and FREE consultation process. Call Andy, put your life and career in your own hands. 100% free, so what do you have to lose?!!
Find Your Perfect Franchise at MyPerfectFranchise.Net
Orangebloods Owned! Contact Andy Luedecke (aka @Andy MyPerfectFranchise.Net) anytime at:
aluedecke@myperfectfranchise.net
(404) 973-9901
www.myperfectfranchise.net
image_from_ios.jpg

Here is V.1.0 of a very early projection for Texas Longhorns spring football. Clearly, the chart is sure to change as we gather more intel from how winter conditioning is going and, more importantly, as we begin to have the opportunity to take in spring football practices with our own eyes. Today, we'll have V.1.0 for the defense, and next week, we'll have the first version for the offense. Class designations are color-coded. This is a spring football depth chart but 2022 Summer Enrollees are listed below in the same column as their projected 2022 role. A "OR" between players means that they are projected as sort of "even" on the depth chart and these situations represent likely projected camp battles. The order in which players with "OR"s separating them are arranged is arbitrary.

CLICK IMAGE TO ENLARGE

2022-Depth-Chart-2022-spring-v.1.jpg

A few notes:

- I put freshman early enrollee Terrance Brooks at safety to start just because there will be such a lack of scholarship options at the position during spring ball, and because outside corner is in a much better place, numbers-wise. Not to mention that Brooks sort of looks more like a safety, anyway. Brooks also looks like he has the chops to play nickel, so I've also listed him as a backup there to Anthony Cook. Brooks feels like a player the staff will work in however fits the roster best in order to make use of his unique versatility and skill set.

- Luke Brockermeyer* was injured at the end of the season, so we'll have to monitor his recovery.

- Many have argued, myself included at times, that DeMarvion Overshown should get a long look as an edge-rusher this year at the BUCK end. This could allow for a suitable inside linebacker starting group of Ford and Gbenda with Overshown in the hybrid DE/LB edge-rush role. Until we actually get word that this is being considered by the staff, though, I'll keep projecting him at his normal, inside WILL role.

- Morice Blackwell is listed as third on the depth chart at WLB but I do expect him to continue playing as a specialty sub-package player inside on 3rd downs and obvious passing situations ... so his slotting does not mean I don't anticipate a contribution. It feels clear to me, though, that the staff likes him for his coverage ability situationally more than in an every down role at this time.

- Ovie Oghuofo should probably start out at the main guy at the BUCK end now that Thornton is gone, even though Oghuofo played most of his snaps in a sub-package third-LB or "SAM" role in 2021. He could still handle playing this role in 2022 while also being the primary option on the edge should the staff choose to go that way. The question then becomes, who else can step in and play in the sub-package, overhang SAM role? Last year, it was Ovie and Ben Davis. So we could see shuffling among the inside LB depth to address what to do here.

- The battle behind Oghuofo this spring for edge-rush snaps clearly looks like the biggest and most wide-open battle on the roster .... once again. Let's all hope that one player comes to the forefront in a stronger fashion than anyone was able to do in 2021, because we saw how that lack of talent manifested itself in the 2021 season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News