ADVERTISEMENT

Javonne Shepherd - Transfers to Butler CC

Bwilk55

Jan 24, 2016
Javonne Shepherd became a hot commodity between NSD1 and NSD2 last year as one of the highest ranked OT remaining unsigned. Texas beat out competition from primarily Texas A&M but Javonne also had interest from the likes of Bama and Georgia.

Less than 1 year later he is transferring out of Texas to Butler CC. He was apparently kicked off the team near the end of the season. He was negatively recruiting against Texas and at the time seemed to be the reason for us losing the commitment of Princely Umanmielen.

Javonne has the body of a NFL prospect but can't quite get things together off the field. Apparently Aggy wanted him to transfer there but he didn't have his school work in order to qualify. I understand Texas taking a chance on him but ultimately he did more harm than good.

Javonne Shepherd became a hot commodity between NSD1 and NSD2 last year as one of the highest ranked OT remaining unsigned. Texas beat out competition from primarily Texas A&M but Javonne also had interest from the likes of Bama and Georgia.

Less than 1 year later he is transferring out of Texas to Butler CC. He was apparently kicked off the team near the end of the season. He was negatively recruiting against Texas and at the time seemed to be the reason for us losing the commitment of Princely Umanmielen.

Javonne has the body of a NFL prospect but can't quite get things together off the field. Apparently Aggy wanted him to transfer there but he didn't have his school work in order to qualify. I understand Texas taking a chance on him but ultimately he did more harm than good.
His downfall started with yelling at Yancy McKnight (the S&C) that he would kill him. He was in the dog house after that, stopped going to class, etc.

Texas really should have never signed Shepherd. He was a head case all along. His actions aren't surprising.

You saying that reminds me of an interview I saw of Barry Switzer. He was asked about his coaching decisions that lead up to his firing, What would you have done different? Barry said, I wouldn't have recruited those players (Charles Thompson, Jerry Parks, Zarak Peters) . Nothing about his part, it was all on them.

This isn't to say that anyone had anything to do with Shepherd doing what he did, but the statement reminded me of that situation.

You saying that reminds me of an interview I saw of Barry Switzer. He was asked about his coaching decisions that lead up to his firing, What would you have done different? Barry said, I wouldn't have recruited those players (Charles Thompson, Jerry Parks, Zarak Peters) . Nothing about his part, it was all on them.

This isn't to say that anyone had anything to do with Shepherd doing what he did, but the statement reminded me of that situation.
I think the important thing is to bring guys like this on board in moderation. Team culture can sour quickly if there are too many guys like this but 1 or 2 risky guys a class will either get in line or end up off the team and at Butler CC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT