ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (OU just doesn't matter as much any more...)

Oklahoma matters to me. It's easy to say it doesn't matter when you are getting your ass beat almost every year.

Reactions: MB-HORNS
I completely agree that OU game seems much less important this year and Aggy seems monumental, mostly for recruiting purposes.

I wouldn't say that every game is less important, but the world has revolved around beating OU for 20+ years.

That's not the name of the game any more.

Every game has to be less important. It's mathematically impossible for it not to be.

Last year proved the world didn't revolve around beating OU. Over the previous 5-7 they proved the whole world didn't revolve beating us b/c they made the playoffs with one loss to us. Hell in 2008 we beat them and the world didn't revolve around it and we got (wrongly) left out.
[/QUOTE]
Bingo.

In a world where they aren't the bar, they matter even less.

I’m surprised we haven’t see more hand wringing from the loss of an NFL caliber TE on this board. A lot of talk about replacing other pieces but no one seems to car about losing a play maker like Sanders.

I’m surprised we haven’t see more hand wringing from the loss of an NFL caliber TE on this board. A lot of talk about replacing other pieces but no one seems to car about losing a play maker like Sanders.
I think the combo of Helm and Niblack can replace a chunk of that. The receivers will have to do the rest.

I think Helm is also going to play in the NFL.

Every game has to be less important. It's mathematically impossible for it not to be.

Last year proved the world didn't revolve around beating OU. Over the previous 5-7 they proved the whole world didn't revolve beating us b/c they made the playoffs with one loss to us. Hell in 2008 we beat them and the world didn't revolve around it and we got (wrongly) left out.
Bingo.

[/QUOTE]
They weren't the bar last year. We lost to them and it didn't make a sh*t. Games mean less but they never were the bar. If they were we could have never made the playoffs last year. The picture was and will remain bigger than that.

Bingo.

They weren't the bar last year. We lost to them and it didn't make a sh*t.
[/QUOTE]
correct

They ended their Big 12 run without a title in their last three seasons.

Reactions: txfight
Also, not be lost is the fact that Texas will need to matter less to OU fans moving forward.

If they want to be a success, that is.

But you are acting as if they were the bar before..... and they weren't.
[/QUOTE]
They've been the bar for much of the last two decades. Probably a little short sighted to ignore that.

Reactions: darrenj
I think Helm’s experience paired with Niblack’s potential as a pass catcher eases fears a bit (at least for me).

Reactions: txfight
At the end of the day, can you ball out or not? That's what the NFL cares about.

It should be, but I think the NFL coaches care way too much about measurables than they do past performances. That has always frustrated me about the draft and also what befuddled me about Mitchells draft status this year.

Making the playoff should always be the goal but if anybody including Ketchum decides to downplay Oklahoma that's a mistake: OU will always matter.........They may be rebuilding but they are still dangerous. Complacency like that is what beat us last year.

We cannot walk into any place and expect people to bow down to us. Especially those folks North In TWO states of the Red River.

I honestly believe that we can = what we did last year but it's going to be a fight to do it and we all better be prepared for that. I don't buy into the freak out that some people get into because the issue we have on the on the defensive line.

That's what the coaches are there for and this is gonna be the year we're gonna find out just how well the rubber meets the road.

A&M in the grand scheme of things is not as important as beating OU and Arkansas.

People need to be reminded that Texas A&M was a constellation prize when they came into the SEC in the 1st place.

The late SEC commissioner Mike Slive invited us 1st as I recall and Oklahoma as well. Everyone knew we were THE package the SEC wanted. Both schools passed. So with a little politicking involved namely by a few people A&M got in...... And down deep they know that they are a consolation prize even if their pride will not admit it.

We have beaten them way too many times: the decade of the 90s not withstanding.

And we have beaten them in virtually every sport that matters over all the decades before that and after.

Beating A&M is as routine as a pinata getting beaten at a birthday party on the west side of San Antonio...... Unless there is a real incentive it gets old after a while.

And even if we beat them they still will not shut up. Beating them this year is not going to matter because they're still gonna be yakking like a hungry Chihuahua.

And before anybody gets twisted about it let me be clear. I do not like losing to A&M but I understand what priorities are. The "rivalry" has returned Yay.

But we don't beat teams like Oklahoma and Georgia beating A&M ain't gonna matter. Except for bragging rights.
“Constellation prize” = new OBism.

• Haha
Reactions: Buffalosoldiers
Do you think the Auburn game matters to Bama? How about the Florida game for Georgia? Rivals matter and what makes CFB unique even an ever changing one and that includes the 12 team playoffs.
I think the Florida game matters a lot less to UGA than it used to.

The Auburn/Alabama game is different in that it's so late in the year.

So, Sark being 1-2 against OU doesn't matter as much? Not sure any Texas coach with a losing record against OU didn't hear constant chirping from the fan base which compounded their stress. If Sark loses to OU this year and becomes 1-3 he's got a massive hole to dig out of.
That’s a major part of why Ketch’s take is off base.

But you are acting as if they were the bar before..... and they weren't.
They've been the bar for much of the last two decades. Probably a little short sighted to ignore that.
[/QUOTE]
But they haven't the been the bar for 2 decades.. Losing to them or them to us clearly wasn't the bar. Multiple times over 2 decades it made zero difference. Last year being the most recent example of such.

Last edited:
We better stop screwing around and treating piggy like some chump/any other game. They will smash us in the face. Again.

They'd rather beat Texas than have literally anything else good and decent happen in their lives. And I mean anyone and everyone in the entire state of Arkansas.

Get in, roast the pigs, and get out. But treat it like a true rivalry game. It doesn't matter if they suck or not.
Ah yes. So true.

Reactions: UTDB
Worry the secondary coaching will hold us back yet again. I can never shake how giddy Notre Damn fans were when we hired Joseph on the mainboard. Aggy fans laughed at it too. When it’s universal like that it tends to not be a good hire.

• Haha
Reactions: MB-HORNS
Worry the secondary coaching will hold us back yet again. I can never shake how giddy Notre Damn fans were when we hired Joseph on the mainboard. Aggy fans laughed at it too. When it’s universal like that it tends to not be a good hire.

If he was so bad do you not think Sark would have not hired him or fired him by now?

(Buy) Probably. He's just a good to very good player and wasn't at the level of a player that would likely change the final record of the 2024 Longhorns. That being said, the issues that might ... might ... exist won't be so funny if it causes this team to lose games on the schedule in December and January.

Honestly I don't think anyone will blame the DT depth if we lose game in December and January. Right or wrong it starts and ends with Quinn.

(Buy) Probably. He's just a good to very good player and wasn't at the level of a player that would likely change the final record of the 2024 Longhorns. That being said, the issues that might ... might ... exist won't be so funny if it causes this team to lose games on the schedule in December and January.

Honestly I don't think anyone will blame the DT depth if we lose game in December and January. Right or wrong it starts and ends with Quinn.
Bingo

If he was so bad do you not think Sark would have not hired him or fired him by now?
I mean, the proof is in the pudding. It was subpar last year but certainly Sark thinks it was a talent issue and not a coaching issue. Hence the upgrades. However, our d backs seem to never turn their heads back for the ball. I personally think it was a taken and coaching issue. Time will tell.

Never heard of Kendrick Lamar nor any of those songs.

Last edited:
So, Sark being 1-2 against OU doesn't matter as much? Not sure any Texas coach with a losing record against OU didn't hear constant chirping from the fan base which compounded their stress. If Sark loses to OU this year and becomes 1-3 he's got a massive hole to dig out of.

This right here

For all the OU is weak talk and won’t compete for a championship …

If we lose this year , that’ll be a major problem

I do not think that game will be easy at all, their defense will be extremely solid

Beating aggy is a must this season. They have talked so much shit and brag about their home stadium. We need to go in there and rip their balls off.

Reactions: Ketchum
No. 10 - Top 10: Kendrick Lamar  ...

Given the events of this weekend in the continued feud between Kendrick Lamar and Drake, it feels like a good time to update my Top 10 K-Dot list.

I'll admit that his career hasn't quite been what I wanted it to be when I first came across his music in 2011, but there's no questioning his greatness after everything he's done from the last decade. That his career might end up being remembered most for what is happening in real-time with his crushing of Drake is kind of hard to believe.

For all of the abstract art he's made, a lot of the world is going to remember him for battle rap. Who saw that coming?

Anyways, let's get to it.

Honorable Mention: m.A.A.d city, Rigamortus, Backstreet Freestyle, Fear, Keisha’s Song, The Blacker The Berry, Ronald Reagan Era, Untitled 05 (09.21.2014), Sing About Me, I'm Dying, King Kunta, Mother I Sober, Untitled (06.23.2014), These Walls, Loyalty, Cartoon and Cereal, Duckworth and Element

10. I

My favorite track on To Pimp a Butterfly album.

9. The Heart Part 5

The best song on his 2022 Mr. Morale and The Big Steppers album. I have to admit that the video that came with it help plant some of the confirmation bias towards the song when making this list. It's pure art.

8. Humble.

Kendrick's second No. 1 song on the Billboard Hot 100 and a track that ended up winning a 2018 Grammy for Best Rap Song

7. Alright

It's not my favorite jam of all-time, but it's a cultural anthem that can't be ignored when discussing his catalog.

6. A.D.H.D.

One of two songs from his debut album Section 80

5. Money Trees

One of three songs from Good Kid, M.A.A.D City that make my top 5, which says a lot about the album and how much I gravitated to it when it came out.

4. Not Like Us

Yes, the song only came out this weekend, but it's probably the best club banger he's ever produced and it might serve as the most memorable obliteration of Drake from this current 2024 feud. It feels like a checkmate moment.

3. Swimming Pools (Drank)

Another track from GKMC. It's a whole vibe.

2. HiiiPower

I'm probably outside the normal perspective when it comes to ranking this song this high, but it's Kendrick as unleashed with abandon as you're going to find. It's the song that made me fall for his music.

1. Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe

There's not a rap song from the last 15 years that I have listened to more when I'm chilling on a weekend and don't want to be bothered. It's my jam.

Reactions: Ketchum
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT