ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (OU just doesn't matter as much any more...)

I know it's going to be tough for some of y'all, but the old ways of life in the Big 12 just don't matter as much any more.

They still matter some, just not as much. Denying that is denying the future.
Same people asking if Bert Auburn is on scholarship.

• Haha
Reactions: texaspaulo
They've been the bar for much of the last two decades. Probably a little short sighted to ignore that.
But they haven't the been the bar for 2 decades.. Losing to them or them to us clearly wasn't the bar. Multiple times over 2 decades it made zero difference. Last year being the most recent example of such.
[/QUOTE]
Yes, but the stakes in real time always felt a certain way, whether it mean that later in the year or not.

Only stadium I’ve ever been too where I could feel the hate. We had to leave our seats because the arky fans kicked us out. We had no recourse.
I would never go to a game there. I would absolutely end up in a fight that I would be radically outnumbered and lose badly.

Back in the day when the came to town and started their pig sooey chant it felt like war at DKR. Looking forward to that next year as I effort to make it as painful to come here as it is to go there…

Reactions: podo87
Worry the secondary coaching will hold us back yet again. I can never shake how giddy Notre Damn fans were when we hired Joseph on the mainboard. Aggy fans laughed at it too. When it’s universal like that it tends to not be a good hire.
It's a big year for Joseph. At some point, his group has to become a strength. Talent is no longer an excuse that will fly.

But they haven't the been the bar for 2 decades.. Losing to them or them to us clearly wasn't the bar. Multiple times over 2 decades it made zero difference. Last year being the most recent example of such.
Yes, but the stakes in real time always felt a certain way, whether it mean that later in the year or not.
[/QUOTE]
The fact remains they weren't the bar before, feeling that way doesn't make it that way. I have little doubt the stakes will feel the same come October if we both come into that game 5-0.

(Buy) Probably. He's just a good to very good player and wasn't at the level of a player that would likely change the final record of the 2024 Longhorns. That being said, the issues that might ... might ... exist won't be so funny if it causes this team to lose games on the schedule in December and January.

Honestly I don't think anyone will blame the DT depth if we lose game in December and January. Right or wrong it starts and ends with Quinn.

Depends on how the failure of the season unfolds and whether the interior of the defense is largely at fault.

I think the Florida game matters a lot less to UGA than it used to.

The Auburn/Alabama game is different in that it's so late in the year.
These things go in cycles. Florida will be back at some point. No different than OU and UT in stretches. Too many any natural advantages not to be. These things go in cycles. Who's to say Alabama stays at the top over the next five years?

Not of Texas makes the playoffs for the second straight season. You're not seeing the forest through the trees.
Eventually that won't be enough though. See Mack Brown for a prime example. People were ready to run him out of town way before 05. See Harbaugh recently at Michigan. Coaches get on the chopping block in part due to their own success. Sark makes the playoffs the next 3 years and gets beat the first round every time while losing to OU every year while they get a win or two in the playoffs and his seat will undoubtedly get hotter. Making the playoffs would eventually not be enough.

(Sell) Really bad?
Probably a poorly worded Buy/Sell. It think this is a ‘high beta’ situation. Although, I’m very optimistic that the defense can be a huge part of the success, it lacks the depth that Sark loves on the offensive side of the ball. How might just one key injury (to Ant Hill, Manny M or Collins) impact a defense that has shown to be unproven on the back end, replacing 1st rounder and Outland winner at DT and thin at key positions?

I could see an injury or two combined with lack of progress in the defensive backfield being a real issue. I don’t expect it. I just think this will be a really interesting year. I think this defense can be fantastic. Can’t wait to see the increased speed on the edge!

I would never go to a game there. I would absolutely end up in a fight that I would be radically outnumbered and lose badly.

Back in the day when the came to town and started their pig sooey chant it felt like war at DKR. Looking forward to that next year as I effort to make it as painful to come here as it is to go there…
I've been to those games. Only nearly been in a fight once. Cotton Bowl 2004.

Reactions: Russhorn
These things go in cycles. Florida will be back at some point. No different than OU and UT in stretches. Too many any natural advantages not to be. These things go in cycles. Who's to say Alabama stays at the top over the next five years?
The fact that we now live in a 12-team playoff world changes the significance of all regular season games.

Reactions: jspirohorn
Eventually that won't be enough though. See Mack Brown for a prime example. People were ready to run him out of town way before 05. See Harbaugh recently at Michigan. Coaches get on the chopping block in part due to their own success. Sark makes the playoffs the next 3 years and gets beat the first round every time while losing to OU every year while they get a win or two in the playoffs and his seat will undoubtedly get hotter. Making the playoffs would eventually not be enough.
Apples to oranges. If he were making the playoffs every year, it would have felt different. He was making nothing.

Probably a poorly worded Buy/Sell. It think this is a ‘high beta’ situation. Although, I’m very optimistic that the defense can be a huge part of the success, it lacks the depth that Sark loves on the offensive side of the ball. How might just one key injury (to Ant Hill, Manny M or Collins) impact a defense that has shown to be unproven on the back end, replacing 1st rounder and Outland winner at DT and thin at key positions?

I could see an injury or two combined with lack of progress in the defensive backfield being a real issue. I don’t expect it. I just think this will be a really interesting year. I think this defense can be fantastic. Can’t wait to see the increased speed on the edge!
If Hill gets hurt, you could be right.

ou could go 0-12 every year and that game will matter to me regardless of our results. Again I get your point but for me even if we win a National Championship but lose in October it will sting and stay in my gut until the next October. Not saying I am right. But that is how I feel. The individual game may not mean anything at the macro level going forward but me me at the micro it is everything.
Absolutely, which is why you jump up on the table and go totally mental for a minute or two at the Fair Grounds...and everyone around goes mental with you.

I do think there's a sizeable portion of the fan base that just doesn't really understand the Red River Rivalry thing. I mean really understand it.

The aggies are just too damn goofy to matter that much. They are in no way worthy of that kind of behavior.

• Love
Reactions: MB-HORNS
Apples to oranges. If he were making the playoffs every year, it would have felt different. He was making nothing.
There was nothing to make at the time. You can bet if Sark makes the playoffs 3 more times in the next 5 years with zero playoff wins while going 1-4 against OU with them having some success in the playoffs and they will be calling for his head. He'll be exactly like Mack. "He's good, but is he good enough to win the big one?" The circumstance will be slightly different (there were no playoffs back then) but the lack of the post season production while OU is having playoff success will most certainly put him in the hot seat. Making the playoffs will not be enough long term for Sark. His own success will dictate that just like it did with Mack.

The University of Arkansas, The University of Oklahoma, and Texas A&M will always hate us. We will always get their best shot!

There was nothing to make at the time. You can bet if Sark makes the playoffs 3 more times in the next 5 years with zero playoff wins while going 1-4 against OU with them having some success in the playoffs and they will be calling for his head. He'll be exactly like Mack. "He's good, but is he good enough to win the big one?" The circumstance will be slightly different (there were no playoffs back then) but the lack of the post season production while OU is having playoff success will most certainly put him in the hot seat. Making the playoffs will not be enough long term for Sark. His own success will dictate that just like it did with Mack.
Eventually, each big boy program will have a different set of dynamics that make the success they have frame their dynamics.,

If Sark wins a couple of playoff games this year, the OU game's weight is significantly lower.

Reactions: Russhorn
I've been to those games. Only nearly been in a fight once. Cotton Bowl 2004.
I was 14 when we beat them at home and sent them packing to their SEC losing future. It is one of the more wild games I can remember as they came en masse thinking they were going to go out on top and we sent them packing and the anger was highly palpable.

I knew we were in trouble 3 years ago when I turned in the TV and saw that stadium. That is a very hard place for us to play.

Reactions: Ketchum
Not of Texas makes the playoffs for the second straight season. You're not seeing the forest through the trees.

I guess I am viewing that as hand in hand . If we lose to OU, we will most likely suffer another 2 losses , and be a borderline team for a playoffs at that point

If we aren’t ready for the OU game this year , it’ll be a problem mentally for most of the fan base. We would not clearly be above OU as a program - if sark has a 1-3 record against them

But I do agree with your premise the playoffs are what matter the most

Eventually, each big boy program will have a different set of dynamics that make the success they have frame their dynamics.,

If Sark wins a couple of playoff games this year, the OU game's weight is significantly lower.
And I gave a perfectly plausible scenario that would make OU still highly important. Not winning when it matters, losing to your rival, and your rival having wins when it matters will all still be on the table with OU. If everything I stated above happens, Sark will be on the hot seat.

We get it, mathematically speaking every regular season game has less weight, but that doesn't change the fact OU regular season will still hold the most weight of those games. Aggy may take it this year, but this year isn't a normal year as we haven't played them in a generation almost.

Your take on the OU game is spot on. My first 25 or so OU games were during the pre-Big 12 era. In those days, OU week and the game were fun and intense diversions before getting into the heart of conference play, but A&M was always equally big (maybe bigger). For a time, so were UH and even SMU for a few years. OU will always be fun simply because of its neutral site setting, but the outsized significance it has had for the past 25+ years will probably diminish for all the reasons you said.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT