ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (What we KNOW about Quinn/Arch)

??? I didn't say that you hate on him.

Do you really believe that Arch is ready to go into a place like Alabama or Georgia or Ole Miss or Michigan and win in his second start in college? I have zero doubt that Ewers is.

You've watched enough football to know that first year started almost always struggle. It usually takes some time to adjust to the speed and violence and spectacle of the college game.

I never said that Arch should be the starter. I never said I thought he was better than Quinn.

What I said is that I don't KNOW that Quinn is better than Arch.

Yes, Arch still has to go through all of the firsts that all quarterbacks (including Quinn) went through.

Reactions: thismutch
As I established above, Ewers has been a very good quarterback, but he's not great. Manning also isn't a great quarterback yet, but is anyone going to argue that he might not be very good right now?

I guess great means heisman finalist or something. maybe nitpicky. But im kinda in the camp that thinks Ewers is still in early stages of his development.
Forget about the Heisman. He didn't break a 164 rating in 7 of his last 8 games.

That's not a super high bar.

BTW, I have been more correct on ewers than anyone in the industry. I've called the last two seasons almost exactly right as it relates to him.

I expect him to have a big year and be better than last year.

My take is Isaiah Bond will be a boom and bust type player. I think the drops and misconnections will continue but he showed all he needs is one pass that he will take to the house multiple times and all the drops and misconnections will be forgiven. I think this offense will be dynamic and explosive its going to be FUN to watch.

Last edited:
My take is Isaiah Bond will be a boom and bust type player. I think the drops and misconnections will continue but he showed all he needs is one pass that he will take to the house multiple times and all the drops and misconnections will be forgiven. I think this offense will be dynamic and explosive its going to be to watch.
definitely going to be explosive.

• Love
Reactions: mh48 and ARD438
I never said that Arch should be the starter. I never said I thought he was better than Quinn.

What I said is that I don't KNOW that Quinn is better than Arch.

Yes, Arch still has to go through all of the firsts that all quarterbacks (including Quinn) went through.
I didn't say that you said Arch should be the starter. You did, however, say:

" .....but I don't KNOW that the 2024 Longhorns will be better with him (Ewers) at quarterback than they would be with Manning as the starter."

Which means that you must have at least the same confidence in Manning going into Michigan in game 2 as you do with Ewers. My guess is that you don't really feel that way. I personally have no doubt that Ewers can win the Michigan game or when Georgia comes to town. I don't have nearly that much confidence that in Manning. Do you?

Last edited:
I didn't say that you said Arch should be the starter. You did, however, say:

" .....but I don't KNOW that the 2024 Longhorns will be better with him (Ewers) at quarterback than they would be with Manning as the starter."

Which means that you must have at least the same confidence in Manning going into Michigan in game 2 as you do with Ewers. My guess is that you don't really feel that way. I personally have no doubt that Ewers can win the Michigan game or when Georgia comes to town. I don't have nearly that much confidence that in Manning.
I think they are both very good quarterbacks. I thought I made that clear.

Are we going to ignore the fact that Ewers wasn't truly a plus/very good quarterback for large portions of last year?

Reactions: tlcdownunder2
B/S - Arch throws for 10+ TDs this season.
Colorado State - 2
UTSA - 2
LA-Monroe - 2
Mississippi St - 1
Vanderbilt - 2
Florida - 1
Arkansas - 1
Texas A&M - 1

Great read. One thought:
Is Sark playing the long game?
Ewers is a very good QB, with potential to have will have a great season.
Arch & Family are willing to be the back up another year.
Sark gets Arch for 25, 26.
Owens gets 27, 28 unless somebody beats him out.

It's the Georgia plan - experienced QBs who are older and know the system extremely well.

Reactions: Yahweh74 and tex17
B/S - you are starting to believe Sark's quote that he believes Texas is about to go on an epic run.

Reactions: Baguette
Great read. One thought:
Owen gets 27, 28 unless somebody beats him out.

It's the Georgia plan - experienced QBs who are older and know the system extremely well.
Arch - 25, 26 and 27 three years of starting QB.

Reactions: Mi Rey
I think they are both very good quarterbacks. I thought I made that clear.

Are we going to ignore the fact that Ewers wasn't truly a plus/very good quarterback for large portions of last year?
Stop dancing around my point.

Yes or no.

Do you have as much confidence in Manning leaving the Big House with a game 2 win as you do with Ewers?

Last edited:
That touchdown throw from Manning to Bond in the fourth quarter was something else. Manning just kind of flicked the ball right into Bond's breadbasket in stride. No quarterback makes it look that easy.

I am going to have to call this one out. Quinn makes it look that easy and throws dimes like this multiple times.
The TD to Worthy against Houston.
Long ball to Worthry against TCU (Worthy trips and fall untouched should have been a TD)
65 yard pass to AD Mitchell in Big 12 Championship game.
Washington pass to Worthy with Muhammad with great coverage
Pass to Whittington on final drive against Washington
Pass to AD mitchell on Sideline against Alabama
Pass to JT Sanders against OU 2022

Reactions: Baguette
(Buy) It's a top 4 roster in college football. Full stop.

If Quinn reaches his potential number 1 roster in college football

Last edited:
Sell) A "good chance" is a subjective interpretation, but I'd say that while there is "a chance" it could happen, I won't go far as to say there's a "good chance."
Follow up B/S: If Quinn misses even one game to injury he never gets his job back?

Former Purdue receiver Deion Burks, who the Texas staff didn't prefer over the Portal receivers they took, was the star of the Oklahoma spring game, as he caught five passes for 174 yards and 2 touchdowns. When OU starting quarterback Jackson Arnold wasn't completing passes to Burks, he was 5 of 15 for 59 yards. So, yeah ... Burks is an important player for the Sooners. This an OU team with some talent, but it's hardly oozing with it.

Manny Muhammad - Lock up Burks
Pass Rush will be after Arnold all day
Nansen will help PK devise a scheme that mimics the Alamo bowl.

Arch played against the 1s.

Things become different when he has the 1s around him.
No, if you go back, he played against SOME #1's on defense and he played with SOME 1's on offense. The only time both sets were out there complete (especially DBs) was the first couple of series. After that is was a mix match of starters and others...That doesn't mean that I think Arch wouldn't have played well against them but it is much tougher against that first unit DBs. They are filthy... Both QBs are super, there is no reason to be rubbing salt on this...

Last edited:
Reactions: thismutch and Perdy
definitely going to be explosive.
catch radius concerns. I guess Johntay and moore are the chain movers? Will be interesting to see who supplants whittington, Mitchell, Sanders on coverting critical 3rd downs.

This list had it 20th.

This one had it 19th.

Hard to do a top 10 for a musical genius. Appreciate you doing it and allowing me to remember Controversy, as well as relive a little slice of 1981 in the process.

Leave it to Ketch and OB to try and manufacture drama. Ewers is QB1 and gives Texas the best opportunity to reach the promise land. Arch will also be a star come next season. No need to jack with anything this year.

Great read. One thought:
Owens gets 27, 28 unless somebody beats him out.

I think he constantly plays the short and long games at the same time.

He has to.

... Conner Weigman completed 5 of 14 passes for 47 yards in the A&M spring game ... woof.

============================================================

Doesn't matter. A win is a win. 1-0 and move on to the next game in about 4 1/2 months.

• Haha
Reactions: SR60 and Ketchum

No. 10 - Top 10: Prince  ...
What can I say? I just found myself wanting/needing some Prince this weekend.

Yes, I've done a Prince list in the past, but it's been roughly half a decade, so why not?

Away we go ...

Honorable Mention: I Would Die For You, I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man, Delirious, Raspberry Beret, U Got The Look, Bambi, Insatiable, Diamonds and Pearls, Cream, Uptown, Black Sweat, Controversy and Sing o' the Times

Top 10 Prince Songs

10. Little Red Corvette
9. I Wanna Be Your Lover
8. The Beautiful Ones
7. 1999
6. If I was Your Girlfriend
5. Kiss
4. Darling Nikki
3. Let's Go Crazy
2. Purple Rain
1. When Doves Cry

Bonus Prince: After-Hours

10. Cream
9. Lady Cab Driver
8. ***** Control
7. Sexy MF
6. Adore
5. Erotic City
4. Scandalous
3. Get Off
2. Do Me, Baby
1. Darling Nikki
Prince first hit the scene when I was in high school and I was able to attend one of his concerts in the early 1980's (McFarlin Auditorium on SMU's campus), before he became a big cross-over success, so my top 10 leans more towards his earlier work.

10. Do Me, Baby
9. Controversy
8. 1999
7. Little Red Corvette
6. Purple Rain
5. When Doves Cry
4. D.M.S.R.
3. I Wanna Be Your Lover
2. Uptown
1. Lady Cab Driver

Reactions: BevosRevenge
... Conner Weigman completed 5 of 14 passes for 47 yards in the A&M spring game ... woof.

============================================================

Doesn't matter. A win is a win. 1-0 and move on to the next game in about 4 1/2 months.
what happen to the two DL potential transfers from AZ? did they have a change of heart??

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT