ADVERTISEMENT

lonhgorns vs trojans official thread

I'm not saying no one can have an opinion, I just get tired of all the overreaction from fans to every thing that goes wrong during a game (and I know that's not your problem). Sh!t happens and sometimes it's no ones fault. I was merely trying to point out that the coaches probably have a reason for doing what they do, and all this talk about how there is no justifiable reason why the coaches did this or that is BS in my opinion because we don't know the details or reasons behind them. To me, the sign of a good coach is a team that improves throughout the year. The guy has only coached three games here and the improvement and effort is noticeably better each week. I wasn't specifically referring to you, it's just the post I decided to respond to, and I didn't mean to offend you. Sorry for coming across douchey.
Thank you for the apology. If I over reacted to your post then I also apologize to you. I took your post like it was being sarcastic to me. My bad. But I don't think there is anything wrong with saying we should have done this or that...then going back and forth as to why or why not. If you think Warren should not have gotten the ball I would like to hear why you think that instead of just saying we don't know what we are talking about.

I do think Herman is going to get it done by the way. I think he will hold players and staff accountable when it is all said and done. I also realize we are seeing every play AFTER it happened...but if you follow that game thread many of us were screaming from the first snap to give Warren the ball and SEE what he can do.

Dude you are being a douche. We are on a sports board talking about sports. Decisions made and decisions we wish were made. If your argument is the coaches know more than us so we should not talk about it then WHY are YOU here? You don't have any idea what I know or what anyone else on here knows.....you are doing the same thing you are bitching about us doing. I am on here to talk sports....good or bad......what I would do or what I think should be done.....it is ALL our opinions. (I know crazy)

99% of us played football and you talking to me like I am a child is douche like to the max.
Feel free to put me on ignore if you don't like what I say.

I can see it now...CANCEL all sports talk and all sports talk forums of any kind DHHorn says the coaches know more than they do so there is no need to have an opinion.

LOL....swVA....I am actually thinking your argument is wrong, but you said it so damned well that I had to give you a like for saying it. You and I have had many disagreements over the years, but you have always made your arguments so well that you have often drug me kicking and screaming over to your side.This is no exception. I disagree with what you are saying but I know that you are correct. How is that for internet forum discussion?

Reactions: swVAHorn
LOL....swVA....I am actually thinking your argument is wrong, but you said it so damned well that I had to give you a like for saying it. You and I have had many disagreements over the years, but you have always made your arguments so well that you have often drug me kicking and screaming over to your side.This is no exception. I disagree with what you are saying but I know that you are correct. How is that for internet forum discussion?

Thank oldhorn.... I think....lol I try to explain why I think something as well as I can....sometimes that is not very well.
I know that the coaches know more about these players personally than we do....but we all have watched Warren play for 2+ years now.....it is not hard to say he needed more carries. Herman said as much in his press conference. All of us are on here to give opinions and explain why we have them...if the argument is Warren should not get the ball more it would be better to give an opinion as to why not...than to say the coaches know and you all are just stupid.

On that game thread if you read it several of us were screaming for Warren to get touches from the get go and not after the fact.

I loved the fight in this squad. If they can just cut out some mistakes and keep playing hard things will get back to where they should be. I am not calling for firing anyone just to make that clear. I do wish the offense would "flow" better for lack of a better term. If Texas can EVER get a veteran QB then the sky is the limit.

I do wish the offense would "flow" better for lack of a better term.
I think you'll start seeing that every game. I just hope we can get a big lead to put in the back ups. Going to be tough the first few games. Hoping Iowa State is an easy one for us.

Tom Herman’s off-week press conference: Some fire, fury … and even a little Angry Birds after USC game
By Rich Tijerina
September 18, 2017
Well, it took three weeks before we got a glimpse of Fiery Tom Herman, who held his usual Monday game-week press conference today even with the off week.

Texas is coming off an impressive performance in the double-overtime loss at No. 4 USC, and Herman tried to reinforce the positives that were taken from that game and how they can be funneled into the Big 12 schedule. But several of the questions he fielded weren’t so glowing, including why Chris Warren III and Kyle Porter were ignored in the second half and overtime, whether he’s satisfied or not satisfied with offensive coordinator, and how the offensive line will manage without All-American left tackle Connor Williams.

More than once, Herman bristled at questions. In some cases, he went into a back-and-forths like a White House press secretary would members of the press corps.

The very first question came from the American-Statesman’s Brian Davis, who wanted to find out why Chris Warren III wasn’t utilized more against USC, particularly late in the game and in overtime.

Herman’s face contorted as he paused. “I don’t understand the question,” he said. “Not using? He had how many carries against San Jose State?”

“There has to be a specific reason why you guys are not using a thousand-yard rusher,” Davis asked.

“We’re talking about USC,” Davis replied. “He had four carries against USC —”

“At 3.8 yards per carry,” Herman interrupted, “so I think it’s difficult to … we’ve got to find a way of getting him more yards, but in the middle of a game you see how that is shaking out, the definition of insanity is repeating the same act expecting different results. So, going back to 3.8 yards per carry … I can see the use of some criticism there, too: ‘Tom, why did you give Chris Warren the ball 20 times if he’s only going to get 70 yards?”

Davis followed up: “I guess what I don’t understand is, why in double-overtime two quarterback run plays are better than ramming a 250-pound guy up the middle against a weakened defense?”

Herman answered: “Where were they weakened?”

“Up the middle,” Davis said. “They’d been going for 60 minutes, surely USC was worn down a little bit.”

Herman: “I didn’t see them weakened. Um, yeah, Sam got 9 yards, so we hadn’t had a running back make over 5 yards up to that point. Nine yards inside the 15-yard line is a pretty good run.”

A few questions later, Herman was asked by Horns Digest’s Chip Brown why Texas abandoned the use of outside counter runs that were so effective against San Jose State. Herman answered that the Longhorns didn’t like “the tight end matchup” for Texas during game-planning.

Later, American-Statesman columnist Kirk Bohls asked whether he was satisfied with offensive coordinator Tim Beck and the Longhorns’ play-calling during the game.

“My satisfaction level of two coaches we hired nine months ago is very, very good,” Herman said. “It’s an interesting question,” he ended his answer with.

Bohls mentioned the fact that instead of running Warren from 3 yards out on Texas’ final offensive play, it was Sam Ehlinger going up the middle on a quarterback draw.

“Quarterback power,” Herman corrected.

Other items:

• Connor Williams will have surgery on Tuesday to repair his meniscus. Herman wouldn’t give a timetable for Williams’ return because he said they wouldn’t know until after the surgery.
  • As he said in his press conference after the game on Saturday, Shane Buechele is still the starting quarterback and will get the majority of first-team snaps when the Longhorns resume practice on Tuesday.
  • Texas will look to two freshmen — redshirt freshman J.P. Urquidez and true freshman Derek Kerstetter — to step up in the off-week and be able to play. If it’s Kerstetter, it would mean taking the redshirt off him.
“Desperation level is at an all-time high,” Herman said when asked about the desperation level along the offensive line.

And it wasn’t all back-and-forths. Herman also got two out-of-the-box questions.

• First, he was asked how he spent the eight hours after the game. Herman said he didn’t sleep on the flight, instead watching ESPN’s college football wrapup show, SportsCenter and some of the LSU-Mississippi State game. Then he ate a sandwich and played Angry Birds on his phone. He said he ended up going to sleep back home at 7 a.m. Sunday.
  • And the last question was about chewing gum: What does he chew, how much does he chew, what’s the rotation system?
“It is Sugar-Free Double Bubble,” Herman said. “Individually packaged ones, and I like to put seven in my pocket at the start of each half. I make sure there are seven in my pocket.”

Reactions: brushycreekhorn
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT