ADVERTISEMENT

LSU scouting report

clob94

Aug 25, 2014
I firmly believe as this game goes, so goes our season. Call me crazy, but I really feel deeply about this. A win and we are off to the races. A close loss and we still can get over the hump. An ass whipping, and I think we see the beginning of the end of the subordinate staff.

LSU is good. Really good. Not like they were under Saban--- but definitely as good defensively as they were under Miles--- I know, I know-- last year they were off a tick. But they have a legit true freshman DB that barring injury, will be a first round draft pick. Book that. LSU will have the best secondary in the country this year. Book that too.

Check out LSU's defensive line. Monsters. All of them. Rashard Lawrence is 6'3 and 317 pounds and he's their DE! Tyler Shelvin is the nose and he's 6'4 and 362. Shackleford is going into that game standing 6'4 and when it's over he might be 5'10. Their other defensive is is tiny by comparison (Fehoko) and he's only 6'4 and 290. We are in for a VERY long day handling these behemoths.

Linebackers-- LSU probably has the 2nd best group in the country behind Bama. They are loaded with size and speed at every position. Chaisson is a speed demon freak off the edge and Phillips and Divinity are both NFL ready.

But their secondary is who you really have to watch out for. LSU returns 8.5 starters on defense and 3 of them are in the secondary. A secondary that only allowed an average of 200 yards passing a game. And the lone starter they lost was replaced by the top 2019 DB recruit in America, Derek Stingley. You think Sterns had an impressive freshman year? Wait until you see what stingley does. Freak.

To beat LSU we can't "just" run the football. They are faster than we are and we'll end up getting our butts kicked in the process. We can't "just" throw the football. Their secondary simply ain't having any of that nonsense. We are going to have to be as balanced as possible. This won't be one of those games where Yankees from back east or up north come down here and melt in the Texas sun---- oh no. These Bayou boys LIKE it hot.

This could prove to be our ultimate test this year.

Reactions: ArchDawg
Their defensive line are great run stoppers but not so good at pass rush. I think for them to get pressure they will need to blitz. their Dbs are good but our biggest asset are Epps Eagles and Johnson's size advantage., I also love throwing to the TE and Rbs as these guys are going to be blitzing and we can catch them sleeping.

Keep in mind, Georgia looked just as good as LSU does. I think we still score between 24 and 35 pts on them.

LSU's biggest weakness is their offensive line. Couple that with them trying to install a brand new offense and you are going to see a lot of mistakes that Texas can take advantage of.

Our players and coaches will be ready, but I truly believe the difference in this game will be Yancy McKnight. I think he has got our guys in incredible shape. He is our Ace in the hole.

Yes they will blitz early and often. You can be assured of that. And ask yourself this--- has Ingram or any other RB that we have been able to pick up the blitz wuth any consistency? If we have, it's news to me.

And keep this in mind--- it's going to be early in the season. Our running game may not have legs yet--- so Sam could be carrying the load. How will his body hold up against those beasts?

Yes they will blitz early and often. You can be assured of that. And ask yourself this--- has Ingram or any other RB that we have been able to pick up the blitz wuth any consistency? If we have, it's news to me.

And keep this in mind--- it's going to be early in the season. Our running game may not have legs yet--- so Sam could be carrying the load. How will his body hold up against those beasts?

Well GA was supposed to be a bunch of monsters and they weren't.

A future NFL star you say? It's still his second game he'll probably be a game manager not game changer. We still have the better qb.

That 6'4" 362 lb nt sounds more like a sumo wrestler than a fb player.

I still like our chances.

What does the nickle package look like? Is it a 4-2-5 or a 3-3-5? And what is their depth like up front. Yes they will be acclimated to the heat but pass rushing in the heat will take its toll on those 300+ pound guys. If we are able to sustain drives and go up tempo no huddle those guys are going to struggle. If we can get to 65 offensive snaps then I really like our chances.

I looked at their stats last year. They didn't play very many offensive juggernauts last year. The played UCF in the bowl and UCF was on their backup QB.

Well GA was supposed to be a bunch of monsters and they weren't.

A future NFL star you say? It's still his second game he'll probably be a game manager not game changer. We still have the better qb.

That 6'4" 362 lb nt sounds more like a sumo wrestler than a fb player.

I still like our chances.
Yes--- offensively we are more talented. The only edge they will have over us offensively is their Oline. And I look for them to try and manage the clock by running the football. I'm not terribly worried about them throwing it all around the field on us. I don't see many points being scored in this game.

Yes--- offensively we are more talented. The only edge they will have over us offensively is their Oline. And I look for them to try and manage the clock by running the football. I'm not terribly worried about them throwing it all around the field on us. I don't see many points being scored in this game.
It’s easily arguable that LSU has a better: OL, RB, and WRs. And for the first time in a long time they actually have a solid QB. Even if Sam is better, QB is not a weakness for them but a strength.

In fact it’s arguable they could better at every position group on both D and O except for QB.

The other “advantage” I keep hearing we have is their new offense. In basically the first real game of the season for them it goes both ways...we won’t have any film on them.

It’s easily arguable that LSU has a better: OL, RB, and WRs. And for the first time in a long time they actually have a solid QB. Even if Sam is better, QB is not a weakness for them but a strength.

In fact it’s arguable they could better at every position group on both D and O except for QB.

The other “advantage” I keep hearing we have is their new offense. In basically the first real game of the season for them it goes both ways...we won’t have any film on them.
Exactly. Which is just throwing another log on the fire of "this is a harbinger game for us". The ability to adapt, improvise and overcome is not just something solely reserved for the Marines.

es--- offensively we are more talented. The only edge they will have over us offensively is their Oline. And I look for them to try and manage the clock by running the football. I'm not terribly worried about them throwing it all around the field on us. I don't see many points being scored in this game.

You do realize how bad their offensive line is? They actually suck. That is being nice. Their center and guards aren't that bad but their tackles are crap. They have talented wide outs and Rbs, but we have a major advantage over their oline. Their right tackle made Vahe look like an All American. I'm sure he will improve this year, but even if he got 10x better he still would be bad.

Reactions: outhereincali
Early season games like these we must create turnovers and win the special teams battle. The first punt attempt by LSU we need to bring the house and go for the block. Chances are they haven't worked too much on punt protection and they'll likely have a few true freshmen on the field. To me, that's a great opportunity to get an early turnover or even a ST score.

This game is huge as far as perception, but probably not so big an indicator of who wins the BIG12. Nobody else on the schedule has athletes on defense anything like LSU & LSU would be below average offensively in the BIG12. The two top teams not named Texas in the BIG12 are not similar to LSU at all, OU & Iowa State. OU is all offense and no defense. Iowa State is well coached and tough as hell, but they simply don't have athletes in the same class as LSU.

Now if Texas whips LSU physically, the Texas is back thing will ring pretty damn true.

Their new offense is what we see week in and week out in the B12.

The turnover battle will be huge in this one.

Last edited:
This game is huge as far as perception, but probably not so big an indicator of who wins the BIG12. Nobody else on the schedule has athletes on defense anything like LSU & LSU would be below average offensively in the BIG12. The two top teams not named Texas in the BIG12 are not similar to LSU at all, OU & Iowa State. OU is all offense and no defense. Iowa State is well coached and tough as hell, but they simply don't have athletes in the same class as LSU.

Now if Texas whips LSU physically, the Texas is back thing will ring pretty damn true.

Perception:

2019-06-26-112617.png

Look, the $EC smokescreen is a fart in the wind and aggy is always downwind. It was blown away last bowl season. I don't know the outcome of the UT/L$U game but to base your aggy logic on an upcoming event is very aggy of you. As stated above, we are better than the $ec.

Last edited:
I will make the first BOLD prediction.....
Whoever scores more will win........captain obvious at his best lol

I think it will be a close game between two good teams with each having an equal chance to win. The ramifications will be talked about by fans, blown out of proportion, but will not have any real bearing on the outcome of the rest of the season except that one team will walk away with a win and the other a loss.

Reactions: Texas008 and q1w2e3
As stated above, we are better than the $ec.
I wasn't trying to be an asshole. I think you have a legit chance vs LSU. But they are unlike the rest of your schedule. Don't tell my fellow Aggies but I'm not pulling for LSU. I love to hate Texas, but I truly hate LSU. I wouldn't ever say I'm pulling for Texas, but I hope LSU does not win this or any other game. We recruit against both schools, and Texas fans are less shitty than LSU fans. (This is a compliment by the way)

Pretty sure I won't be very happy during this game anyway, as Trevor Lawrence will likely have just shown us what super elite looks like. Now if we somehow won, I would be intolerable. Not likely.

I will make the first BOLD prediction.....
Whoever scores more will win........captain obvious at his best lol

I love your logic I think along the same lines myself.

I can see that the spiri of the great Dan Jenkins lives in both of us lol

Reactions: freeper
I wasn't trying to be an asshole. I think you have a legit chance vs LSU. But they are unlike the rest of your schedule. Don't tell my fellow Aggies but I'm not pulling for LSU. I love to hate Texas, but I truly hate LSU. I wouldn't ever say I'm pulling for Texas, but I hope LSU does not win this or any other game. We recruit against both schools, and Texas fans are less shitty than LSU fans. (This is a compliment by the way)

Pretty sure I won't be very happy during this game anyway, as Trevor Lawrence will likely have just shown us what super elite looks like. Now if we somehow won, I would be intolerable. Not likely.

Oh, I don't think you were being a jerk. It's the aggy logic that mystifies me. There is always are a reason that Texas is inferior to the $ec. Texas could win 3 Natty's in a row and aggy would be convinced that we got the preferential draw in the playoff, etc.... There is always an excuse to keep up the delusion.

I think Clob hit the nail on the head. If Texas wins by 1 pt or 30 it is going to really give Texas a boost in confidence going into the rest of the season. If Texas loses a close game then it really won't do much for the rest of our season either way. If Texas gets blown out, it could derail everything the coaches have been talking about.

No matter what happens Texas will still have a strong shot at both the conference and playoffs. Same with LSU.

I don't know much about the character of the LSU players, but I know their fans, if LSU gets blown out by Texas you are going to see their fans turn on the coaches, players and each other. Ogre will come home to several for sale signs in his front yard.

Reactions: freeper
One of the dozen or so teams across college football with legitimate national title hopes this fall, the Texas Longhorns have surfaced as a team to watch just outside the Top 5 according to College GameDay analyst Kirk Herbstreit.

During Wednesday's early-morning taped segment on SportsCenter, Herbstreit joined Chris Falica and Stanford Steve in a roundtable discussion on who they'd pick as a national championship darkhorse based on preseason odds.

“I love to go to the Kentucky Derby and I’m a horse racing guy, so I hate the favorite,” Herbstreit said. "So in this case, I'm trying to beat the favorite. Because of that, I see value with Texas at 20/1. With (Sam) Ehlinger coming back, he’s got enough weapons led by Collin Johnson. I think this team can make some noise and there’s very good chance they go to Dallas against Oklahoma undefeated.

"If they’re able find a way to win it, look out, because Texas can be one of those teams to keep an eye on.”

The Longhorns' path to the College Football Playoff is cut and dry — beat LSU and win the Big 12 Championship with one loss or fewer and Tom Herman's team is a near lock to get in. The primary question facing this season's team is how quickly the Longhorns can replace their eight departed starters on defense.

Horns247 analyst Jeff Howe on this team's Playoff potential Playoff road:

Since the inception of the College Football Playoff, the Big 12 champion has only been left out twice — in 2014 when Baylor and TCU shared the league crown and in 2016 when Oklahoma was one of two two-loss conference champions. If Texas is able to handle business then things like the Big 12 title game and the CFP will take care of themselves, but Herman is more concerned with keeping his team focused on the process involved in making the journey worthwhile as opposed to what could be waiting for the Longhorns when they reach their destination.

At Big 12 Media Days, Herman didn't mention title aspirations and simply took the one-game-at-a-time mantra, as he always does. External expectations are high, but Herman is keeping his team grounded best he can.

“Obviously, the micro goal is to go 1-0 every day,” Herman said. “You ask me if we have any big goals; the only one I’ll ever talk about is being in the hunt for the conference title in the months of November and December and us knowing that if we play our best, our best is good enough to play with or beat anybody on our schedule.”

Texas came up a few plays short from winning a conference championship last fall before carrying that momentum into the Sugar Bowl and humiliating Georgia, the SEC's runner-up who was favored by two touchdowns.

I think LSUs size can be a disadvantage as someone else said. Up tempo, pass early and move it on all 1st downs. Sam really got good on the deep out to LJH and Collin last year and that's going to be open on them too. They'll press cover and dare our guys to beat them 1-1. Also Sam's legs can be big. If he can break contain and their backs are to him he can rip off some big runs. I'm not saying this will be easy but it's going to be a slog and I like our chances in Austin. Biggest thing is for Sam to stay within the game. No turnovers and we win.

@Iowa St and OU worry me more. Much more on those games. In 04 we got shutout against OU, almost lost to Kansas and beat meat chicken in one of the great games I've seen. We have a great chance to win this game but a season it doesn't make.

Can our defense stymy their offense like we did against Georgia? That is the big question. If we can, I do think our offense can put up 24-31 points which would be enough if we make them ineffective on offense.

Can our defense stymy their offense like we did against Georgia? That is the big question. If we can, I do think our offense can put up 24-31 points which would be enough if we make them ineffective on offense.
For me the bigger question is can Texas move the ball and score points on their defense? Not a single team broke thirty points on them during the regular season last year until Aggy’s Hail Mary as time expired. Their defense will probably be even better so I would not assume Texas will score 24-31 points.

Is Herbstreit the Kiss of death? Next you will be telling me the Horns are on the cover of SI.
Kirk "cesspool" Herbstreit can suck a beefy fart directly out of my asshole.

Ya--- I haven't forgotten being called a racist by Kirk after it became obvious to anyone with a pulse and single digit IQ that Charlie was in over his head.

LSU needed 4 to's to beat Georgia. If we can keep from turning over the ball, we should be able to win comfortably. Their offense is pedestrian compared to ou, tech, osu, etc... their defense is excellent. The power qb run will tough for them to stop. I prefer using the rb's but we have yet to break out running via rb's. Ball control with more violent play will set the tone just like Georgia. Home field will help.

LSU needed 4 to's to beat Georgia. If we can keep from turning over the ball, we should be able to win comfortably. Their offense is pedestrian compared to ou, tech, osu, etc... their defense is excellent. The power qb run will tough for them to stop. I prefer using the rb's but we have yet to break out running via rb's. Ball control with more violent play will set the tone just like Georgia. Home field will help.
Cool bro. Beefy fart. My asshole.

Not you obviously.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT