ADVERTISEMENT

MM what happened to my thread?

This stuff is rampant in our society. The politicians are probably the worst with the bankers being the biggest buyers. Think the lobbying money only goes to campaign coffers? =)roll Why doesn't the FBI go to those places that wield the MOST power?
Because then the FBI would most likely be implicated. I have zero faith that all of this corruption type of stuff doesn't start at the top and work its way down. I would venture to say that 85% of high ranking government officials have in one way or another taken a "bribe" and received undue influence because of said bribe. I truly believe that it would be shocking if every piece of under the table arrangement and things of the like were exposed.
I don't think the general public could handle it. We have seen the faux outrage because of this deal, but I think keeping the sheeple in the dark is sometimes the "humane" way of treating them.

Reactions: 2300 Nueces
Also how does Lynn Swann keep his job? Only 1 US university has been implicated in multiple FBI probes. Care to guess which one? That's right USC. And they currently have an "interim" president who doesn't believe she has the power to make major personnel moves....That place has some major issues and they start at the top.
I try to follow SC things here more recently now, but it seems their athletic department suffers from some of the same things that plauged Texas not too long ago. That when you have an AD and high ranking athletics officials who are not all on the same page and making sure that the entire department is going in the same direction, your major sports start to slip. Texas seems to have righted that ship with the hiring of CDC, but USC could stand to do the same type of thing. Find a really, really good AD and I bet they can get that ship cleaned of all of the garbage and get them pointed in the right direction.

I try to follow SC things here more recently now, but it seems their athletic department suffers from some of the same things that plauged Texas not too long ago.

USC has long been run by incompetents and clowns. Mike Garrett was a terrible AD, despite lucking out with Pete Carroll for a few years (cheating aside). Pat Haden was terrible. Lynn Swann is terrible. Three ADs in a row with zero previous administrative experience. They've stubbornly stuck with a long-antiquated vision of what an AD is and the skill sets an effective AD needs to have.

Texas should be grateful for USC, otherwise Texas would be all alone as the most poorly run blue-blood program over the last several decades. How DeLoss Dodds continues to be viewed positively overall by some of our fans will forever remain a mystery to me. Let's hope the hiring of CDC represents some lessons permanently learned here, because it's pathetic what Texas has to show for its unsurpassed advantages over the last (nearly) five decades.

Last edited:
I'm interested to see that once the FBI gets done poking around, how long it takes the IRS to get involved. I can almost guarantee that the people accepting these bribes aren't reporting that income. I would be interested to see how the IRS feels about not getting their portion of this 25MM pie.
That's the first thing I thought. You think that tennis coach reported $100K bribe? For his sake, I hope he did. Just saw where Lori Loughlin's bond was $1 million! My initial reaction was that it seemed excessive. But my second thought --- this shows the feds are serious and woe be to those that didn't report the income.

That's the first thing I thought. You think that tennis coach reported $100K bribe? For his sake, I hope he did. Just saw where Lori Loughlin's bond was $1 million! My initial reaction was that it seemed excessive. But my second thought --- this shows the feds are serious and woe be to those that didn't report the income.

If they were serious, you would see a long line of bankers and their usury money being put away. Until then, it's just a show.

I teach an education policy class. We cover this case. I'm sorry but what you stated just factually incorrect on so many levels. Brown is in the Ivy leagues. They are non scholarship and there are no revenue sports. They all lose money and are supported through donations and student fees. In 91 Brown tried to eliminate volleyball and gymnastics. A lawsuit was filed almost a year and a half before Clinton took office. It worked its way through the federal courts and the supreme court refused to hear the case in 1997. Brown restored funding to volleyball and gymnastics, and elevated water polo and crew to varsity level. That resulted in 0 additional scholarships because all sports are non scholarship. They didn't cut any men's sports. In 2011 the proposed cutting a 2 men's sports and 2 women's sports but those.
I can't find my copy right now. May have given it away. Jessica Gavora's book, TILTING THE PLAYING FIELD tells a different story. I'd like to see federal aid to education ended, then policy wouldn't matter.

Class action suits are already being filed by students now... If you are a student who got rejected by one of these Universities you might be able to get paid.

Reactions: Belldozer1
Class action suits are already being filed by students now... If you are a student who got rejected by one of these Universities you might be able to get paid.

I might have to keep an eye on this story. My kid was rejected by Stanford last year and so were 15 other members of his class including two legacies. His numbers and package was more impressive than either of the legacies but they were still 4.0+ students....

Reactions: Belldozer1
I might have to keep an eye on this story. My kid was rejected by Stanford last year and so were 15 other members of his class including two legacies. His numbers and package was more impressive than either of the legacies but they were still 4.0+ students....

He most take after his dad.

Reactions: Oldmanastro
This stuff is rampant in our society. The politicians are probably the worst with the bankers being the biggest buyers. Think the lobbying money only goes to campaign coffers? =)roll Why doesn't the FBI go to those places that wield the MOST power?

sadly.....the FBI couldnt lead a pack of hungry wolves to meat.....

I am a old man and seen most of what there is to see, I think its time for Texas to withdraw from the US and go our own way, cause sooner or later its gonna happen anyway, Texas was doing ok till the US Gov started putting their nose into Texas affairs, you look now, they are in our lives and our homes..etc in some manner or another... if Texas boys are gonna die in war, Texas could take better care than the VA has, don't get me wrong, I love the US but, its not the same US anymore that fought in WW2 and joined together for the War effort, we had no trouble at the Border till the US came in, the people came every year and helped our farmers get their crops in and helped our ranchers with their cattle and never hurt anyone, the troubl began when we traded our way for Interstate highways and let the Gov get into our back pocket, With all our oil, their would be no one that would not trade with us, no one should have to pay to get into any school in Texas..a "C" student has just as much right as a "A" student to get a good education, all this crap on Bribes reminds me of the Caste system in India, if ya low class ya can't do it..

307utn5.jpg

Reactions: Drtxhorn
Yes. Brown's policy of allowing students to choose to participate or not on their own produced "disproportionate" results because men are more interested in sports than women. We all know that men's minor sports were destroyed.

They have the same number of mens teams and the same number of participants on those teams before. They have mens squash and mens fencing. That's about as minor as you can get. The Ivy's are a poor test case for title IX because no on gets an athletic scholarship and they don't spend tons of money on football and basketball so they have more flexibility than most to have a lot of male athletes. Its also relatively cheap for them to add womens teams that don't cost a lot like crew, field hockey and lacrosse because there are lots of D1 programs within a bus ride of campus that play those sports as well.

Last edited:
I am a old man and seen most of what there is to see, I think its time for Texas to withdraw from the US and go our own way, cause sooner or later its gonna happen anyway, Texas was doing ok till the US Gov started putting their nose into Texas affairs, you look now, they are in our lives and our homes..etc in some manner or another... if Texas boys are gonna die in war, Texas could take better care than the VA has, don't get me wrong, I love the US but, its not the same US anymore that fought in WW2 and joined together for the War effort, we had no trouble at the Border till the US came in, the people came every year and helped our farmers get their crops in and helped our ranchers with their cattle and never hurt anyone, the troubl began when we traded our way for Interstate highways and let the Gov get into our back pocket, With all our oil, their would be no one that would not trade with us, no one should have to pay to get into any school in Texas..a "C" student has just as much right as a "A" student to get a good education, all this crap on Bribes reminds me of the Caste system in India, if ya low class ya can't do it..

307utn5.jpg

FB, If you don't mind me asking, how young are you? :D

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
FB, If you don't mind me asking, how young are you? :D

Give ya a hint, I went to school here( see link) and sat and watched DKR and the Longhorns practice 7 days a week across the street and played handball in Gregory Gym everyday, you could throw a rock and hit Memorial stadium, plus there was only 3 HS's in town Austin High Maroons, Travis High Rebels and McCallum Knights High and Anderson High which was Black only,,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_Junior_High_School

As a added clue, I never missed a game watching the Austin Senators play Baseball ,and the Horns practice field was on San Jacinto with grass next to the small creek and the FB team stayed in Moore-Hill Hall and walked to the stadium to get dressed to practice across the street and all the FB players was trying to get laid by the Kinsolving Girls, many a panty raid happen in them days

Chk your email MM!

Reactions: LonghornMM
Give ya a hint, I went to school here( see link) and sat and watched DKR and the Longhorns practice 7 days a week across the street and played handball in Gregory Gym everyday, you could throw a rock and hit Memorial stadium, plus there was only 3 HS's in town Austin High Maroons, Travis High Rebels and McCallum Knights High and Anderson High which was Black only,,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_Junior_High_School

As a added clue, I never missed a game watching the Austin Senators play Baseball ,and the Horns practice field was on San Jacinto with grass next to the small creek and the FB team stayed in Moore-Hill Hall and walked to the stadium to get dressed to practice across the street and all the FB players was trying to get laid by the Kinsolving Girls, many a panty raid happen in them days

Chk your email MM!
The Junior High hint doesn't help too much. It was closed in 67 and if you were in Junior high that year, you could be as young as 64.

You went to HS between 53 (the year McCallum and Travis were opened) and 1961 (the earliest I can find another high school pop up - Lanier - though I do think there were several more before Lanier)

So if you started HS in 1953 at the age of 14, you were born in 39 and would be 79-80 currently. If you graduated at age 18 in 1961, you were born in 1943 and would be 75-76 currently. So, if you hints are accurate I'm saying you are between 77-80.

Charlie Waters (41) and Cliff Harris (43)
Both played for the Dallas Cowboys
Charlie 1970-1981 (safety)
Cliff 1970-1979 (safety)

Bad Boys!

5a1ahj.jpg
Man, I wish I would have held on to my childhood posters. I would write to the Cowboys as a boy and received the 8x10 size Harvey Martin and Ed Jones. I also had the team poster. I can't remember, maybe the '77 team with all the memorable greats. You never think to hold on to stuff like that when you are a kid.

Man, I wish I would have held on to my childhood posters. I would write to the Cowboys as a boy and received the 8x10 size Harvey Martin and Ed Jones. I also had the team poster. I can't remember, maybe the '77 team with all the memorable greats. You never think to hold on to stuff like that when you are a kid.

Jerah would charge you $100 for something like that today.

The Junior High hint doesn't help too much. It was closed in 67 and if you were in Junior high that year, you could be as young as 64.

You went to HS between 53 (the year McCallum and Travis were opened) and 1961 (the earliest I can find another high school pop up - Lanier - though I do think there were several more before Lanier)

So if you started HS in 1953 at the age of 14, you were born in 39 and would be 79-80 currently. If you graduated at age 18 in 1961, you were born in 1943 and would be 75-76 currently. So, if you hints are accurate I'm saying you are between 77-80.

Close..on the low side.Lanier was just a Blue Print and Reagan was never thought of yet

Brown receives federal funds so title IX applies to them. That case wasn't about funding it was about proportionality. Women made up 52% of the student body but only 38% of the athletes. The settlement was that they had to try and get slots for women to 48.5% without cutting mens teams
You don't think men's non revenue sports have been devastated by Title IX?

Reactions: LonghornMM
You don't think men's non revenue sports have been devastated by Title IX?

Every men's sport except wrestling and gymnastics has actually added programs and athletes. I know some schools have cut baseball and track programs but those losses have been made up by other colleges adding programs so you actually have more D1 and D3 programs. D2 is really hard to track because there tends to be some movement in these instituioins (to and from NAIA, and to and from other divisions). But if you look at the overall number of men's programs they are more in all sports. If you look at number of athletes there are more.

Scholarships is a different story. Scholarships for men dropped but most of that came from the reduction in football scholarships. So yes men lost out there but football is a revenue sport and I would imagine those numbers are creeping back up with the additional football programs coming online.

ADVERTISEMENT