ADVERTISEMENT

My Breakdown of Washington

clob94

Aug 25, 2014
Easiest analysis I've done all year on an opponent not named Texas Tech.

This is REALLY simple.

It all comes down to the P's.

Penalties.
Washington is one of the most penalized teams in the country. They rank 125th. With 7.8 penalties per game and 102 yards in penalties. Only Colorado (107) and New Mexico (119) average more YARDS in penalties than Washington.

Possession.
Texas ranks 23 in time of possession and Washington ranks 71. Hold on to the ball and it's game over.

Punting.
Washington HATES punting. And- they aren't great at it. Make them punt 3 times in any half and they're DOA.

Pass rush.
The big one. Penix has only been sacked 11 times all year. That's it. It's one of the reasons their yards per penalty average is so HIGH. The mother fvckers on the OLine like to hold. Alot.

7.8 penalties for 102 yards per game-- that's 12.9 yards PER penalty. That's ridiculously high. That means the majority of penalties Washington gets flagged for are the 10 and 15 yard variety. BIG penalties. Drive ending penalties. Those big penalties usually come on passing downs..... so 3rd down against these turds is VERY important. We need to see dudes coming off the DLine like a gorilla with his ass on fire. Our secondary has holes, but if every time Penix completes a pass on 3rd and long, it's being called back because there was offensive holding- it's going to make for a LONG night for Washington.

DLine-- you finally get your shot Baby! Place at the table! This game is all on you. Put Penix on the ground and create holding penalties and we boat race Washington. We need---
PRESSURE.

Penix needs to feel like he's listening to Freddy Mercury and David Bowie scream in his ears all night.

This is REALLY simple.

Penalties.
Washington is one of the most penalized teams in the country. They rank 125th. With 7.8 penalties per game and 102 yards in penalties. Only Colorado (107) and New Mexico (119) average more YARDS in penalties than Washington.

Possession.
Texas ranks 23 in time of possession and Washington ranks 71. Hold on to the ball and it's game over.

Punting.
Washington HATES punting. And- they aren't great at it. Make them punt 3 times in any half and they're DOA.

Pass rush.
The big one. Penix has only been sacked 11 times all year. That's it. It's one of the reasons their yards per penalty average is so HIGH. The mother fvckers on the OLine like to hold. Alot.

7.8 penalties for 102 yards per game-- that's 12.9 yards PER penalty. That's ridiculously high. That means the majority of penalties Washington gets flagged for are the 10 and 15 yard variety. BIG penalties. Drive ending penalties. Those big penalties usually come on passing downs..... so 3rd down against these turds is VERY important. We need to see dudes coming off the DLine like a gorilla with his ass on fire. Our secondary has holes, but if every time Penix completes a pass on 3rd and long, it's being called back because there was offensive holding- it's going to make for a LONG night for Washington.

DLine-- you finally get your shot Baby! Place at the table! This game is all on you. Put Penix on the ground and create holding penalties and we boat race Washington. We need---
PRESSURE.

Penix needs to feel like he's listening to Freddy Mercury and David Bowie scream in his ears all night.
I'm beginning to get the impression that Washington is this year's TCU.

I have been shouting from the rooftops......

What no one has discussed in all this basking in the glory of U Dub is what in the world are they gonna do against OUR offense.....Plain and simple, they can't handle it. All. Night. Long!

Very nice analysis Clob.

This is REALLY simple.

Penalties.

Possession.

Punting.

Pass rush.

PRESSURE.

Well done.

I think this is going to be just like this year’s RRS. Washington has the best receiver corps right alongside Texas. Those guys can make plays BIG TIME. We absolutely must pressure Penix if we have any chance of winning. If he gets all day to sit back and pick apart our secondary it’s going to one of those games where whoever has the ball last wins out. Just like the RRS this year.

Our defense is going to determine if we win or not.

Reactions: Archmadness
I have been shouting from the rooftops......

What no one has discussed in all this basking in the glory of U Dub is what in the world are they gonna do against OUR offense.....Plain and simple, they can't handle it. All. Night. Long!

Very nice analysis Clob.
I expect a high scoring game.

I think the o/u for the Rose Bowl will be about 55

I'm beginning to get the impression that Washington is this year's TCU.
TCU rolled Michigan in the semi final so let’s hope not.
They are somewhat similar though. It’s not like Washington was rolling people all year. They struggled with ASU and Stanford.

TCU rolled Michigan in the semi final so let’s hope not.
They are somewhat similar though. It’s not like Washington was rolling people all year. They struggled with ASU and Stanford.
Washington threw for 370 yards against Stanford. If they "struggle" like that against us- we'll be in trouble.

This is REALLY simple.

Penalties.

Possession.

Punting.

Pass rush.

PRESSURE.

I got the reference at the end

more concerned about PACE

that's where oklahoma was able to hurt us. making our DL play extra plays, wearing us down; or keeping the non-all-Americans on the field longer than we wanted

Washington threw for 370 yards against Stanford. If they "struggle" like that against us- we'll be in trouble.
Threw for 370 and they were only up by 2 28-26 going in to the 4th Qrt against a pretty bad Stanford team.

Keep a good pace but slow down the game at the same time and you win. Get good first down chunks. 2 and 4 or less then grind 2 plays for a first down. Keep their offense off the field and you win.

So should we dink and dunk to win time of possession and eat up the clock when we are on offense? I hope we don’t try to out big play them honestly. I expect them to screen a lot to that big running back and quick slants to negate our pass rush .

So should we dink and dunk to win time of possession and eat up the clock when we are on offense? I hope we don’t try to out big play them honestly. I expect them to screen a lot to that big running back and quick slants to negate our pass rush .
Nope. Just run the same offense we’ve been running against Tech and Okie Lite. Score 100 if we can.
Defensively, take the run away and pressure Penix.

offensively, you can do what you always do. defensively is where the pace matters-- it's not the number of snaps that concerns me; it's the number of snaps IN A ROW

can we sub when we want? do we do the old lay on the ground thing when we need to? by the way offensive coaches hate it when you coach your guys to do this, even if it's in practice. but yeah... that's an option.

Slow down the game?.....Slow down the game???? You heard the man. F@ck them brakes!
Remember what I told you when the Big X can't win any nc's? In any sport? As I told you the Big X sucks tv money and all. The Big X's tv contracts remind me of the LHN all that money ain't going to guarantee you a champion.

Reactions: oldhorn2
@clob94 hate to do this but your the coach on defense for Texas. Are you putting a spy on Pennix? Are you blitzing more often in this game or do you trust you front to get to Pennix?

We have to make Penix think instead of react to slow him down a tick and give our rush a chance to hit home or hurry him out of rhythm.
Pre & post snap gamesmanship is key if our guys can pull it off. Following pre-snap motion when in zone ect....
They'll get their points, we just have to get ours too.
Although not great, I don't think our pass D is quite as bad as the ranking. Shutting down the run makes teams have to sling it around and inevitably skew the numbers.
....I'm tired and going to bed.

Reactions: freeper
@clob94 hate to do this but your the coach on defense for Texas. Are you putting a spy on Pennix? Are you blitzing more often in this game or do you trust you front to get to Pennix?
Remember back in the 2000s when we would play K state and Sneider would dial up a blitz at the PERFECT time and splatter Simms or Major? Then our damn wheels would fall off and K state would beat us?
Rarely would he dial up the blitz on 3rd and long. Why? We'd know it was coming. He'd usually do it on a 2nd and mid... or a 1st and 15 when he anticipated pass. The dude just had PERFECT timing.
Blitzing Penix gives him a free shot. A chance to burn us. Badly.
So yes- we are going to have to blitz. But it's going to have to be very calculated. This isn't a "we can predict when to blitz based on quantitative algorithms". It's going to have to be based on gut, instinct and intuition.
Yes.... that's gambling. But-- that's what separates the good coaches from the great ones.

As far as spying Penix- I don't think we have to. We want him to run. He gets out of the pocket and that gives us open shots at him. I want him hit. I want him getting off the ground. I want him hurting by the 3rd quarter.

Every time we hit Penix, whether on a pass rush or scramble- we chip away at his physical well being.

I read a comment by a pac12 coach...he said UW has not faced linemen like we have
He said our guys will give them fits. He went on to say most of UW down field plays are slow to develop so Penix is gonna have a long day

FWIW

I read a comment by a pac12 coach...he said UW has not faced linemen like we have
He said our guys will give them fits. He went on to say most of UW down field plays are slow to develop so Penix is gonna have a long day

FWIW
They can play action- now doubt. We just can't let our safety bite. It has to be the front four with their ears pinned back on every play.

Look- they are going to slip past those guys- it's going to happen. But the LBrs have to be johnny on the spot and clean up. I expect some screens and draws by Wash to try and slow us down- but we shouldn't slow down. I'll trade getting burned for 15-20 yards on a draw or screen for the chance to put Penix on the ground----- HARD.

Last edited:
Remember back in the 2000s when we would play K state and Sneider would dial up a blitz at the PERFECT time and splatter Simms or Major? Then our damn wheels would fall off and K state would beat us?
Rarely would he dial up the blitz on 3rd and long. Why? We'd know it was coming. He'd usually do it on a 2nd and mid... or a 1st and 15 when he anticipated pass. The dude just had PERFECT timing.
Blitzing Penix gives him a free shot. A chance to burn us. Badly.
So yes- we are going to have to blitz. But it's going to have to be very calculated. This isn't a "we can predict when to blitz based on quantitative algorithms". It's going to have to be based on gut, instinct and intuition.
Yes.... that's gambling. But-- that's what separates the good coaches from the great ones.

As far as spying Penix- I don't think we have to. We want him to run. He gets out of the pocket and that gives us open shots at him. I want him hit. I want him getting off the ground. I want him hurting by the 3rd quarter.

Every time we hit Penix, whether on a pass rush or scramble- we chip away at his physical well being.
Pressure Penix and he isnt the same person who went to NY this year. The game will come down to if we can get pressure on him and cause him to make early throws. If we sit back and let him cook he will eat us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT