ADVERTISEMENT

My crazy idea for fixing the Big 12

doneagain

Mar 12, 2004
The PAC-12 has a network, but is having a hard time finding carriers for it. This is causing it to be less lucrative for them in comparison to the SEC and B10 networks.

The B12 wants a network, but is having a hard time deciding how to get one. It needs more members to expand content and market footprint, but there are no home run picks available.

The P12 network model has - in addition to its main mothership station - regional networks for its schools. For example the Oregon version provides content aimed at Oregon and Oregon State fans.

One sticking point for a big12 network is Texas' Longhorn network.

Why not just become network partners with the P12... Not merging conferences, just becoming business partners. Being business partners would not affect the grant of rights.

Merging conferences makes zero sense (and has no shot of happening) because it would make reaching the playoffs harder for the teams in the theoretically merged conference than it currently is.

The only two conferences to miss the playoffs so far are the P12 and B12. Those are the conferences that have all or the majority of their teams outside the eastern time zone. Later start times affect eastern media visibility.

However a joint network would command attention. Casual fans would even be interested.

Imagine a conference network with the ability to showcase/feature Oklahoma, Texas, USC, Stanford, Oregon, Kansas basketball, etc... A network with teams in 3 time zones to increase visibility for the two conferences.

The P12 needs carriers, and the B12 needs a network. We both need an expanded market footprint without watering down the product.

The Longhorn network could continue on as a regional network in the current P12 network model. Obviously logistics would have to be worked out, but that is what lawyers are for.

Texas Tech, Baylor and TCU could share a regional network like the Oregon schools do. Likewise for the Oklahoma schools. And the Kansas schools, Iowa State and WVU could share a regional Network. Then all the schools from both conferences would be covered on the main mothership channel.

The main mothership channel could be re-branded "The 12's Network," referring obviously to the P12 & B12.

The two conferences would still be completely separate entities, they would only share a network.

For content purposes they could schedule so many non conference games against each other. Maybe go to 8 conference games and have 2 non conference games between all schools every year.

The expanded footprint and desirable fan base markets would ensure coverage across the country by all major carriers, and the big 12 could increase its tv market share.

The B12 might need to add 2 teams to even out revenue because the P12 with 12 teams compared to 10 might demand a larger share because they can provide more content.

If the B12 wants to add BYU, fine. The BYU network becomes their regional channel, like The Longhorn is for Texas. Add Memphis for the Fed Ex sponsorship that was promised. Or maybe Cincinnati and Memphis (and not BYU) are added for the top 50 markets and to help make the B12 a little more contiguous and eliminate the chances of a B12 championship game rematch, to a degree.

By themselves, the nature of the geography for the P12 and B12 ensure they will never rival the B10 or SEC networks in terms of money or market reach. A combined partnership network featuring the 22 (maybe eventually 24) schools of the P12 and B12 could certainly command some big time money.

Seems like a no-brainer to me. If only I could pitch the idea directly to Larry Scott and Bob Bowlsby.

Reactions: Tired Horn
Seems bright. However, not sure how the melding of the LHN into another network would work. How much $$$ would it be worth. Would it force Texas to change the contract? I'm sure ESPN would jump at a reason to reduce the price.
Also, any network should include some component of the Online Streaming. Many believe the cable network system will be antiquated soon. Many consumers are dumping cable and just receiving local channels and Netflix.

Sounds good. This could be the end result. Make no mistake about it the Big X and the SEC would like nothing more than to keep an iron clad grip over the other conferences especially in fb and men's hoops. If your idea comes to fruition it would dramatically level the playing field. It would let those arrogant fffers in the SEC and Big X know that they no longer run the show for their own self interests.

Reactions: LonghornMM
Seems bright. However, not sure how the melding of the LHN into another network would work. How much $$$ would it be worth. Would it force Texas to change the contract? I'm sure ESPN would jump at a reason to reduce the price.
Also, any network should include some component of the Online Streaming. Many believe the cable network system will be antiquated soon. Many consumers are dumping cable and just receiving local channels and Netflix.

The Lawyers would have to figure the Longhorn Network out. Possibly Fox buys the Longhorn Network and the obligation to Texas. The smartest thing I have heard anyone say so far is when Boren finally said Texas needed to be made whole, and could not be expected to give up $15 million a year. Nobody else would agree to give that up, and just because you are Texas doesn't mean you should be made to give it up.

As far as the streaming, I agree about it needing serious consideration. I think it could be modeled after the WWE version. For example purposes, if just 10% of the population in the current 10-team B12 footprint were to subscribe to an online, WWE-like network at $7 per month, that would generate $96 million per year for the conference. That is based off of conservative numbers and does not include interested parties outside the current footprint such as each of the 10 school's alumni in other areas of the country.

However, right now Fox and Disney are still willing to fork over large amounts of cash for the existing model of delivery, and a still overwhelming majority of the population get their tv from traditional cable and satellite providers. So if the networks prefer a traditional distribution method for the time being, I think that is the path to follow until the money proves to be better elsewhere in the long run.

The cable bundle business model is coming to an end. We need to figure out how to make money in the unbundled/skinny bundle, live internet streaming market of the future.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT