ADVERTISEMENT

NFL Players and the Athem

FlourBluffHorn

Jan 5, 2007
I think most of them oughta do a couple of tours in Afghanistan and they would change their mind about singing the anthem to our flag and respecting it, They trying to fight a force that starts in WW2, Iwo Jima, Pearl Harbor, Korea, A Shau Valley and Hue City and Iran and now Afghanistan so , they got a lotta people to convince about that Athem singing to the flag. They just aren't strong to change that history.

Hook'em

I think most of them oughta do a couple of tours in Afghanistan and they would change their mind about singing the anthem to our flag and respecting it, They trying to fight a force that starts in WW2, Iwo Jima, Pearl Harbor, Korea, A Shau Valley and Hue City and Iran and now Afghanistan so , they got a lotta people to convince about that Athem singing to the flag. They just aren't strong to change that history.

Hook'em

Who cares. I've seen maybe 10 NFL games in 15 years. Schlitterbahn is more fun than going to a NFL game.

It would be interesting to know how much money all of the BS kneeling cost the NFL last year. It has caused irreparable damage to the league, to which many fans will never forgive and forget. This, combined with the CTE stuff, and the NFL is in big trouble.

The NFL made 14 billion dollars last year. Whatever money it did cost them(probably not that much) was a drop in the bucket in the big picture.

Of the top 100 rated TVs shows of 2017 60of those were sporting events The top 5 and 6 of the top 10 were NFL games. The narrative that raitings were down last year was a farce. Tv ratings were down compared to last year BUT that’s because tv ratings as a whole are down the NFL is still king.

To me the NFL made a huge mistake by even aknowlging this protest in the first place. It started out as a handful of guys. It wasn’t until Trump, owners and guys like Papa John started commenting when it became more wide spread. Trump used it as a wedge issue(and try to settle a long held grudge against NFL) but if everyone else had just ignored it. Probably would be over by now. Now they put themselves in a no win situation. The owners just out of no where created a policy without the union. Realized they overstepped, and now they are right back where they started.

Truthfully who cares? Should they stand? Probably but I don’t think anyone’s patriotism is or should be dictated by what they do or don’t do during the anthem. Onl6 45-55% of registered voters vote in elections. You really want to respect the troops, and what they fight for? Excersise the right they fought for, and I don’t care who you vote for

Truthfully who cares? Should they stand? Probably but I don’t think anyone’s patriotism is or should be dictated by what they do or don’t do during the anthem
I care. I think those of us who have children try to teach decorum, etiquette, manners or whatever you prefer to call it. They can do as they wish on personal time and a football game is company time. This country is great because of free speech, so what they do on their personal time is up to them. More power to them to right any wrong whatever it may be. If you want to open it up to do whatever you want then you have to be prepared for the other side to counter. When the other side counters then you have nothing but political/racial/religious... infighting in what is essentially a business (the NFL) providing a service (entertainment). I don't know one business that allows employees to put on controversial clothing or accessories on their work uniform. BTW, I don't have a problem with having players protest in the locker room while those that choose to stick with tradition go on the field.

The “they can do what they wish on their own time” thing doesn’t fly either. Come on man we all know that’s not true. If kappernick was standing for the anthem on Sunday but was very out spoken Monday though Saturday he’d be in the same boat he’s in right now. The issue isn’t the anthem as much as it is the topic for which they stand.

The reality is that athletes are seen as people put on this earth to entertain us and they are not suppose to have beliefs they are just suppose to be robots and “shut up and play” not saying you specifically but that’s where a lot of this stems from.

The “they can do what they wish on their own time” thing doesn’t fly either. Come on man we all know that’s not true. If kappernick was standing for the anthem on Sunday but was very out spoken Monday though Saturday he’d be in the same boat he’s in right now. The issue isn’t the anthem as much as it is the topic for which they stand.

The reality is that athletes are seen as people put on this earth to entertain us and they are not suppose to have beliefs they are just suppose to be robots and “shut up and play” not saying you specifically but that’s where a lot of this stems from.
The issue doesn't have anything to do with the anthem and it doesn't have anything to do with patriotism, especially the fake patriotism that exists in this country. But that is what white America says it is about and, you know, white America is never wrong. Yeah, right.

Already worn the tread off this topic.

Fvck you 107 degrees!

The players have every right to protest. However, the owners have every right to set the rules as to what is acceptable and not acceptable regarding the anthem while they are on their dime. If the NFL and the owners have a policy against taking a knee/protesting during the anthem, and they do it anyway, they should be fined and or suspended. There are consequences for not following the rules. Let them protest on their own time. This is very old!

The players have every right to protest. However, the owners have every right to set the rules as to what is acceptable and not acceptable regarding the anthem while they are on their dime. If the NFL and the owners have a policy against taking a knee/protesting during the anthem, and they do it anyway, they should be fined and or suspended. There are consequences for not following the rules. Let them protest on their own time. This is very old!
The owners have every right to set rules. Couple problems though.

1 They are blacklisting players who protested with no rules against protesting. Now some argue “well they can sign(or not sign) whoever they want, but we all know why Kap isn’t even getting a camp spot, and it’s not due to his abilities. That’s an issue the league should have to answer to.

2. Although you are right the owners have the right to make rules there is a process they have to go through with the union to make those rules. They tried to go around the union which caused the backlash, them to back down and the whole topic back up again.

If I were the NFL I’d leave it alone, let guys do what they are going to do. Tv networks don’t care, you were still the highest rated tv programs in America despite all the noise. Just ignore it and move on. Let Trump bluster, and eventually it will all fade away.

Quite honestly this whole topic just shows how kind of messed up our priorities have gotten. Guys like Ray Rice, joe Mixon, etc who have beaten women isn’t causing a mass(supposed ) boycott, but by god taking a knee during the anthem THAT is where were taking a moral stand. Silliness.

I’ll add to I don’t think Trump even cares about this all that much, but he knows it’s red meat for his hardcore base, and he’s been in conflict with the NFL for a lot of the last 3 decades. I promise you he sees it as trying to get even.

Last edited:
chan
The issue doesn't have anything to do with the anthem and it doesn't have anything to do with patriotism, especially the fake patriotism that exists in this country. But that is what white America says it is about and, you know, white America is never wrong. Yeah, right.

Who cares. I've seen maybe 10 NFL games in 15 years. Schlitterbahn is more fun than going to a NFL game.

Very true. Have you been to a Cowboys game? Essentially $200/person to watch the game on TV up in the rafters. Why the hell would people do that?

Haven't been to a single Cowboys game since they moved to Arlington...and won't be going anytime soon.

Yes, been to a cowgirls games at jerah world. It's horrible. I was given 6 tickets from a lumber supplier I buy from. I took buddies from school. The huge tv, slow play, $25 beverages killed it for me. I hate the nfl.

Texas games used to be the best value by far. I have to say that the godzillatron has ruined my game day experience. Back in the day, the fight songs were a lot of fun. They made the warm jack N coke go down easier. Now there is very little band and too many green Mtn commercials. I prefer tx vs ou as they haven't updated the cotton bowl in 100 years.

Reactions: weevilcatch
US Army infantry vet got out summer of 1990 also a UT grad. The protest was supposed to be about white cops shooting unarmed black men. That is something that can't be stopped unless a few of the cops get the death penalty. Fools allowed this to be turned to a debate about patriotism when it never was. Leftist used this as an attack and show of disrespect to the POTUS DJ Trump. I do not like cops shooting down unarmed men like dogs, but not standing will not stop that and it just fires up people to come out and support making America great again at the polls this fall. My children live here and I don't want their expensive state college educations to get wasted in a busted, mismanaged economy ran by secular fools. I support the intent, but not the act and any disrespect intended towards the POTUS or best nation on face of the planet.

Yes, been to a cowgirls games at jerah world. It's horrible. I was given 6 tickets from a lumber supplier I buy from. I took buddies from school. The huge tv, slow play, $25 beverages killed it for me. I hate the nfl.

Texas games used to be the best value by far. I have to say that the godzillatron has ruined my game day experience. Back in the day, the fight songs were a lot of fun. They made the warm jack N coke go down easier. Now there is very little band and too many green Mtn commercials. I prefer tx vs ou as they haven't updated the cotton bowl in 100 years.

LOL, so true!!! Something about just letting the atmosphere be. They seem to be trying to hard in so many live sporting events now.

Ratings are down 17% over 2 years. Revenue is up because existing, contracts with networks stipulate so. They renegotiate again in 2021 I think. I am interested to see if contracts will be as lucrative. In the meantime, I won't watch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT