NIL Dead Money argument

TLG1

Gold Member
Nov 28, 2012
I understand @Ketchum 's argument of dead money on a player that isn't playing, though the definition of dead money in the NFL is somebody who is NOT on the roster. This is not the case in college.

Here's my argument. You need to look at NIL being spent over the entirety of that players career. I understand Arch's NIL value is at $3.2M, yet he did not play any meaningful snaps last year, and may not this year. So we should immediately "cut" Manning? uh no. Hopefully Arch is at UT for 4 total years, and plays 2. So you are getting QB1 value of 2 years at $3.2M. That's how the analysis should be done. There are certain players and positions where it is OK to have "dead money" if you are going to get the value over the entirety of his career. A priority list by position that would go something like....QB1, LT1, WR1, Edge1, RB1, DB1, etc. Basically you accept dead money at those priority positions for super blue chippers.

Thus, would Fasusi be worth the $$ if you look at if playing 2/4 years as a super blue chip player at the second highest rated position?

Reactions: Walt Longmire

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.